Why would an entire evening of specialty dining not be available?

OurDogCisco

I'm going on the Pearl for an Alaskan cruise in June. I'm staying Concierge level and I decided to pre-book some of my dining times at the specialty restaurants. I'm trying to book something for the day we sail Glacier Bay but the day is not available to click. It isn't an option. All the other days are available. So, I called NCL and they weren't too helpful. They said that either the entire evening is booked or they haven't released the day. So, I asked which is it. Otherwise, I'd like to book the 4th restaurant on a different day. But he had no clue. He said that I could look at 45 days to see if anything is available. So, is this normal? Should I wait? Or should I book it another night? Or is there some other option I should consider?

Thanks!

A lot of people are going bonkers thanks to the Ultimate Dining Package and booking more than one venue each night. The dining reservation system appears to be overwhelmed. And don't lose sight of the fact that there is no longer any penalty for not showing up for a reservation and many people don't have the common courtesy to cancel their reservations when their plans change. :eek: :confused::mad:

..I'm staying Concierge level and I decided to pre-book some of my dining times at the specialty restaurants. I..

There is no such thing as "concierge level" that I know about.

Assuming you are in a full suite, your concierge should be able to help get you a table.

A lot of people are going bonkers thanks to the Ultimate Dining Package and booking more than one venue each night. The dining reservation system appears to be overwhelmed. And don't lose sight of the fact that there is no longer any penalty for not showing up for a reservation and many people don't have the common courtesy to cancel their reservations when their plans change. :eek: :confused::mad:

You sure. The UDP only covers one venue each night. :confused:

Assuming you are in a full suite, your concierge should be able to help get you a table.

Opps... guess, I don't have the terminology down. Sorry about that. I'm assuming if you are assigned a butler, concierge staff, etc... that you are staying at some sort of concierge level. My understanding was because I was in a suite I can book before everyone else. I think we are on the same page but I'm glad you got it off your chest!

I hope that is not the case. I am not paying for the ultimate package so, I'm prepaying... The only thing puzzling is that there isn't a single reservation available but there is plenty the other nights. So, I don't understand why there isn't ONE reservation available on this particular night. It is basically a sea day as we'll be sailing through Glacier Bay. Oh, well.... NCL's loss they will get less of our money.

I'm assuming if you are assigned a butler, concierge staff, etc... that you are staying at some sort of concierge level. My understanding was because I was in a suite I can book before everyone else.

Since you are in a suite, you will be able to use the services of the "pre-concierge" desk in Miami. He should be able to book your restaurant reservation for you and send you a confirmation. You will receive an email a couple of weeks before sailing about the pre-concierge services but if you want to email them now here is a great thread with the phone number.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1689238

If for some reason, the Miami rep can't book it, then as others have noted, the concierge on the ship will get the reservation for you - just let them know when you get on board.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Since you are in a suite, you will be able to use the services of the "pre-concierge" desk in Miami. He should be able to book your restaurant reservation for you and send you a confirmation. You will receive an email a couple of weeks before sailing about the pre-concierge services but if you want to email them now here is a great thread with the phone number.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1689238

If for some reason, the Miami rep can't book it, then as others have noted, the concierge on the ship will get the reservation for you - just let them know when you get on board.

Thanks.. I'll call them.

I hope that is not the case. I am not paying for the ultimate package so, I'm prepaying... The only thing puzzling is that there isn't a single reservation available but there is plenty the other nights. So, I don't understand why there isn't ONE reservation available on this particular night. It is basically a sea day as we'll be sailing through Glacier Bay. Oh, well.... NCL's loss they will get less of our money.

That really sounds like a glitch in the system more than anything else, honestly. Sometimes, if you call and speak to a different representative, you get a completely different answer... and, often, someone more helpful!

Richard/Tralfie

It can be a mixture of things. But one thing could be a very large group booking could have sold out the restaurant (s). That happened on my Epic cruise. We were in a suite and even the concierge could not get us into Cagneys. A singles club had booked the entire Cagneys restaurant on the first night of the cruise.

Edited by david_sobe

I don't believe so. T&Cs say "a specialty each night ". It is not the Unlimited Dining Package if it was as you suggest then why would they charge $10 for a second entree at Cagney's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Ultimate Dining Package

Chances are it's a glitch in the system. However, only about 1/3 or so of available seating is allowed for pre booking. The majority of seats for every venue are saved for on board booking. With the exception of some "special" event (group booking of the entire restaurant), you or the concierge will be able to book as soon as you board. As others have suggested, you can contact the pre concierge desk in the morning and ask them to arrange it for you.

Now, I have read the rest of her postings, I see where she got the term. Yes, OP, your concierge will take care of your reservations as soon as you board the ship.

Edited by newmexicoNita

If anyone is interested I was able to book through concierge today. I sent them an email. She really didn't have a reason for why I couldn't see it online. She didn't seem interested either. She didn't seem like an employee who wanted to fix the problem for future cruisers.

If anyone is interested I was able to book through concierge today. I sent them an email. She really didn't have a reason for why I couldn't see it online. She didn't seem interested either. She didn't seem like an employee who wanted to fix the problem for future cruisers.

The impression I got was that they were just as tired of the issue as we were and just did what they were personally able to do (ie. make the reservation for you). Really wish NCL would stop mucking with the website.

• 1 month later...

Also,at least for our cruise no advance reservations were really needed. They had opening every night in all the restuarants. The only one that I would do is Teppanyaki as that one had limited seatings. Plus, towards the end the week Le Bristro was booked. But I have no idea if there was availability earlier in the week. I was on the Pearl.

Also,at least for our cruise no advance reservations were really needed. They had opening every night in all the restuarants. The only one that I would do is Teppanyaki as that one had limited seatings. Plus, towards the end the week Le Bristro was booked. But I have no idea if there was availability earlier in the week. I was on the Pearl.

This is the case on all NCL ships, with the possible exception of those sailings where the UDP has been given away free (just the Breakaway and Getaway I believe).

On every sailing I have ever been on, there has been good availability in almost every restaurant on every night. Occasionally towards the end of the cruise Le Bistro starts getting booked up and on the odd night some other restaurant gets quite full but there are always lots if options.

When I was on the Spirit earlier this year, I took pictures of the restaurant boards each day to post on here to try to reassure people who have these concerns, but obviously it has now been buried some way down the list of threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk