Independence of the Seas question

We have done 8 NCL and 3 Carnival cruises and would like to try the Independence. But we are age 60 plus cruisers and don't like to play dress up. First question is will we have a place to eat? I see there is a buffet and that is where we will eat. But will it be open for every meal and casual dress? Also where does it usually dock? I want to make sure it is walking distance from the parking structure. We have cruised out of many different ports...hate Miami..and the Port Everglades is the port of choise for us.

We have done 8 NCL and 3 Carnival cruises and would like to try the Independence. But we are age 60 plus cruisers and don't like to play dress up. First question is will we have a place to eat? I see there is a buffet and that is where we will eat. But will it be open for every meal and casual dress? Also where does it usually dock? I want to make sure it is walking distance from the parking structure. We have cruised out of many different ports...hate Miami..and the Port Everglades is the port of choise for us.

The buffet (Windjammer) is open for every meal and casual dress. Most times Indy is at Terminal 29, which I don't think most would consider walking distance from the nearest parking structure. However, there is a parking shuttle.

Edited by clarea

Don't worry about not playing dress up. We no longer bring dress clothes with us and, in fact, we have not used the main dinning room at all for quite some time. We very much enjoy dinner in the Windjammer buffet were we can eat at our own pace and take as much, or little, time for dinner as suites us. I know that others love the MDR and would not consider missing. Choices are a very good thing.

I actually can't remember where the parking garages are in relation to terminal 29.

Independence is a really nice ship and the 8 night itinerary is great. We have done it several times. I think that you will really enjoy this cruise.

Edited by Ocean Boy

There is also the Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's pizzaria at no extra charge. However, you don't have to dress up to go to the main dining room, even at dinner. No shorts, but nice casual wear is the norm. Many do not even observe formal nights. But the Windjammer is very nice for dinner. On sea days there is a very good sit down lunch in the main dining room, with a killer salad bar, always casual at lunch and breakfast.

I was on IOS for the 4/6 sailing. On "formal" night there were many people in the dining room in casual clothes. You will certainly not be out of place if you are not dressed up. The buffet is open every night so that is an alternate place to eat.

Enjoy.

I was on IOS for the 4/6 sailing. On "formal" night there were many people in the dining room in casual clothes. You will certainly not be out of place if you are not dressed up. The buffet is open every night so that is an alternate place to eat.

Enjoy.

We are looking at booking IOS for January 2015, and are not into 'formal night' dressing. DH will bring a sports jacket, but that is as formal as it will get.

Just echoing that many did not dress formally on the designated formal nights when we were on a 6 day IOS cruise January 2013. Very few tuxes or ties on the men. People dressed nicely, just not formally.

We were on the Independence of the Seas April 6-12 and we saw a variety of outfits in the dining room on regular nights as well as formal nights. The only rule we saw enforced was no shorts on formal night. Of course there is always the Windjammer buffet or pizza and sandwiches on the promenade.

Here is a question for those who have cruised on Independence more than once: Have there been changes that affected the 'quality of the cruise you had' from your first cruise on Independence to your next or last one on her? If so, what was the change that affected your cruise and why?

I know there have been changes in the Royal Caribbean 'universe'. I have been cruising on Royal for 11 years. I have cruised on Majesty many times, myself. I can't say that any of the changes (fewer towel animals, no flowers being sold, no chocolates on the bed each night, menu changes) have reduced my enjoyment of my last cruise on Majesty over the first time I was on her.

So I ask this question of those who have cruised on Independence more than once.

don't forget Johnny Rockets for breakfast as well as the dinning room for breakfast and lunch. We used park-n-go. just out side the port easy and cheaper then parking in the terminal. they took us right to the ship - easy breezy.

don't forget Johnny Rockets for breakfast as well as the dinning room for breakfast and lunch. We used park-n-go. just out side the port easy and cheaper then parking in the terminal. they took us right to the ship - easy breezy.

No breakfast at Johnny Rockets on Indy.

Don't forget what? That it doesn't exist?

I have to agree with the caution about Port Everglades. Pier 29 is a pain. It is not walking distance from any parking. We had to wait a long time for our shuttle pickup because there is no organization. They just make everyone wait under the long awning - 100's of passengers, packed like sardines, waiting for every kind of shuttle you can imagine (rental, airport, park 'n' go, hotels, etc.). Just be prepared :)

Sorry about the Johnny rockets for breakfast. We had it on the Oasis and Allure and thought it was on all ships with JR. But it doesn't require a smart answer. An honest mistake that is all. But the parking was what we did and it was easy.