Our opinion on recent all inclusive package

petlady7

Question, if you have this package do you still have to pay tips?

You pay the mandatory 15% gratuity on top of the daily charge. Same with coffee card cost and I assume soda card too.

Just to be clear, the 15% is added to the daily cost, not to each beverage you get.

To be completely clear, no you don't pay any extra tips. They advertise the package at $44 per day plus 15% gratuity. They will then actually charge you $56 per day which includes the 15% gratuity. I don't know if this amount is added to your onboard account daily or if your charged the full amount in one lump sum like they do with the Soda card.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Here is my take.

We both use a Coffee Card and have been able to carry it over from cruise to cruise, although I understand this is changing or different from ship to ship. Also, we bring wine and purchase occasional bottles of wine and cocktails.

That said, on our upcoming 17 night cruise, were we to purchase the All Inclusive Package, we'd pay close to $2000.00. (The Wine Pkg. is something we'd consider, in terms of value, now that Princess is strictly enforcing the policy of a corkage fee for extra wine brought on board.)

The point is that I just can't imagine paying $2000.00 or even $1000. (for just one), even if it is for the convenience issue, pre paid peace of mind, gelatos. lattes, etc.

I am certain that we'd never get our money's worth, and even if we came close, I think we'd be quite "under the influence" most of the time. And, the calories consumed!!!!OMG!!!

I am sure this package works for some, but my guess is that the cruise ship wins every time.

I don't know if this amount is added to your onboard account daily or if your charged the full amount in one lump sum like they do with the Soda card.

It's a lump sum on the first day.

We just purchased the package for our Western Caribbean cruise out of Houston (and just an FYI - we saw A LOT of black stickers on people's cards at the bars - this is a popular package!). Before we left, I created a spreadsheet that included the price of Princess drinks (wine,cocktails, beer, milkshakes, coffee, bottled water) and how much of each we expected to drink each day. As the OP pointed out, you do consume less on port days if you leave the ship. Overall, I estimated that I would break even and my husband would come out a little bit ahead.

When we actually got started purchasing drinks, we made sure to keep all of our receipts (the ones that we got anyway:)) so that we could do a count after the fact. We definitely came out ahead - especially on the sea days. We spent most of our time at Vines. This was especially good because we got to try all of the different varieties of wines - and even found some new favourites. We also purchased several large bottles of water everyday. Partly because we like to have bottled water in the room, and partly because you need to drink more water if you are going to be drinking all that alcohol:eek:

Even though there were a lot of people with the package, I did not notice that anyone was "drunk" on this cruise. There were no rowdy outbursts, no people stumbling around the halls, everyone seemed to limit themselves to what they can actually tolerate.

So, all this being said, would I buy it again? For a 7 day Caribbean cruise without my child - definitely. For any other cruise - doubtful. I can't imagine drinking that much consistently for a cruise longer than 7 days. I never felt that I HAD to drink just to keep up with the package (as I did the math beforehand and knew that I could have a "light day"), but I can't imagine spending that much money on drinks for a cruise longer than 7 days.

Ive noted this on other threads, but one thing to add is that while the package does include soda/mocktails/coffee, etc., a coffee card and the Ultimate Soda/More package come out to around $12 for a 10 day trip. Throw in a couple bottles of water a day at $2, and you're at $16. So you'd still have to spend around $40 in booze a day to make the alcohol package worth while (and that's assuming that the soda/coffee would be a factor in one purchasing the alcohol package). Not a crazy amount, but more than I would typically spend every day of a 10 day trip.

We spent most of our time at Vines.

There seems to be a growing consensus that the package is great for the wine lovers and not so good for the bucket-o-beer on the balcony crowd.

(We're more the latter!)

You can also take bottled water out of the equation by bringing a case onboard. We stick it in a nylon duffel and they deliver it to our cabin. At the end of the cruise, the duffel is available for added items or stuffed in a suitcase.

I have the TA booked out of Southampton and don't think I have that 'perk' :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

It's only on round trips from southampton not the TA

It will be interesting to see if Princess goes with the AI package as a "perk" option as Celebrity did. We spoke to several people who said they booked Celebrity because of the free beverage package. Guess we'll have to see.
It's possible but one big difference between Celebrity and Princess bookings is that Princess allows TAs to discount fares so you can pretty easily save 10-20% if your TA books a high volume of Princess cruises and discounts.

I am interested in how people have found the bar service on the recent cruises.

I read a trip report right after the all inclusive package was introduced, I can't remember which ship it was, but the comment was that the Martinis in Crooners were served ready poured.

Has anyone else noticed changes in the quality or service of the mixed drinks?

I did not have a "pre-made" drink. Every drink was made fresh to order, and the Crooners' staff still shake your martinis table side. I did notice that the service has declined in the International Cafe - Lobby Bar. We often had to walk up to the bar to get a drink - the servers tended not to want to bother in this area.

When speaking to one of the servers in Crooners, he mentioned that the bar staff does not make as much money on tips now that the AI package is in effect. Apparently the 15% gratuity is split evenly with the bar staff and the dining room staff - which decreases their share, since people drink more outside of the dining room than inside it. I would expect that a more fair split would be 80% for the bar staff and 20% for the dining room.

Hopefully Princess will recognize and change this practice soon to keep their bar staff happy. They work very hard - and are not included in the automatic gratuities like the wait staff are.

Before we left, I created a spreadsheet that included the price of Princess drinks (wine,cocktails, beer, milkshakes, coffee, bottled water) and how much of each we expected to drink each day.

We have friends who, without even knowing prices, I know would come out ahead. DH might break even, and I'm certain I wouldn't make a dent in it.

It's been a couple of years since we cruised though, and I've been wondering what the prices are now. Maybe I do need one!

I did not have a "pre-made" drink. Every drink was made fresh to order, and the Crooners' staff still shake your martinis table side. I did notice that the service has declined in the International Cafe - Lobby Bar. We often had to walk up to the bar to get a drink - the servers tended not to want to bother in this area.

When speaking to one of the servers in Crooners, he mentioned that the bar staff does not make as much money on tips now that the AI package is in effect. Apparently the 15% gratuity is split evenly with the bar staff and the dining room staff - which decreases their share, since people drink more outside of the dining room than inside it. I would expect that a more fair split would be 80% for the bar staff and 20% for the dining room.

Hopefully Princess will recognize and change this practice soon to keep their bar staff happy. They work very hard - and are not included in the automatic gratuities like the wait staff are.

Thank you, that is interesting, good news re the Crooners service. Bad news regarding the International Cafe, inevitable I guess with hot drinks also included.

I hope Princess do look at the split if the bar staff continue to be out of pocket.

I read a trip report right after the all inclusive package was introduced, I can't remember which ship it was, but the comment was that the Martinis in Crooners were served ready poured.

I included that in my report after our Ruby trip (3/20-3/24) We did get a few pre-poured, but not all of them. There was also no enthusiasm when they did shake them table side.

We don't know, though, if this was due to the drink package or due to the shorter cruise. It was our first non-7 day. (Maybe a little of both.)

It didn't prevent us from hanging at Crooners, though. We love it, regardless! :D

I couldn't get my monies worth from the soda package and don't want to drink enough alcohol to get my monies worth from the alcohol package but I'm going to try the Ultimate Soda and More package. It's $8 per day and I figure that's probably not much more than the cost of a single Moctail. I can have virgin Bloody Marys at breakfast, Tonic & Lime in the afternoon, and "virgin whatever I want" while watching a show. Many cocktails taste pretty much the same without the alcohol.

That's exactly what we found on our B2B on the Emerald last month. I don't drink and DH decided to try the UKP card as well. We both LOVED the mocktails and hubby said he really couldn't taste the difference on some of them (like No-hitos) . If you order 2 a day the card is paid for, and we also drank sodas & milkshakes & juice. Great great option!! :cool:

I will be purchasinf the drinks package on my upcoming 14 day emerald cruise.

I have done some calculations and figure that this will work for me. I usually buy the ukp but also have about 5 cocktails a day plus spirits in the evening and maybe the odd beer or 2!:eek:

There is unlimited free drinks at the Captain Welcome party and the Captains Circle party too. On those nights, that is most of our alcohol consumption, since we have about 4 champagne glasses each during each party. Also, for those who bring bottled water on board, just want you to know that the ship water out of your bathroom faucet is purer than bottled water and tastes (to us) just as good. (they purify it with osmosis on board). We just fill empty bottles with that water to save a little.

I sure wish they'd had that drink package in the late '80's and early 90's!! I could've made a dent in that deal! Of course those were truly the good ole days when u could just lug your booze on board! I remember hauling 2-6 packs each of Red Stripe beer on board from either Ocho or Mo Bay, whichever port it was. And that crap was HEAVY .....but so worth it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did get a few pre-poured, but not all of them. There was also no enthusiasm when they did shake them table side.

That's not always a bad thing. If they shake the drink table side there no telling how long it spent melting the ice and getting diluted...

We are booked for August on the Grand and considering this package, but trying to figure out if it would be beneficial or not. Does anyone have, or know where to point me to, a listing of some of the bar prices such as for beer and mixed drinks, notably Jack Daniels? Thanks in advance.