From FCO to Civitavecchia

Ethel5

A little reading on the board would reveal you have the choice of taxi or private transport (as you correctly said, for one person, a little expensive, but I think 120-130 euros is probably more accurate), which you could share to cut costs, via your roll call. Or train, if you can manage your luggage. Or ship's transfers....one of the few justifications for using ship's transfers is a solo passenger.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The taxi fare is actually 120 Euro, but I suspect that's not what you're looking for.

You can go by train but you must be able to handle your own luggage, which may include carrying it up and down two flights of stairs at Civitavecchia. If you can manage that, the train trip takes between an hour and a half to an hour and three quarters, and costs 11 Euros. This requires a change of trains at Roma Trastevere, where there are elevators.

Thanks for the info. Most people on the roll call are either staying in Rome or other places and then transferring to the ship. I plan to spend 2 nights right in Civit. I can handle my own luggage, but I'll need to do some detailed research on the exact mechanics of the train so I don't end up in Poland! :D

We've done this on many occasions and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, if you're happy to carry luggage.

There are 2 ways one can do this. One is to get the Leonardo Express from FCO station into Roma Termini and then catch a local train from Termini to Civitavecchia. The Leonardo Express will cost 14 euros and takes 32 minutes and there are 2 trains an hour. There will also be usually 2 trains an hour from Termini to Civitavecchia and the journey is around an hour and will cost around 7 euros. All the times we have travelled to Civitavecchia by train we have only once had to change platforms which meant negotiating stairs.

Whilst some people would recommend the above a cheaper way to do it is via local train which means you do not need to travel into Termini but will change at Roma Trastevere and then pick up another train to Civitavecchia. This will definitely mean you will have to change platforms and negotiate stairs - there are lifts but they don't always work.

Time-wise it can sometimes be quicker to go via Termini or via Trastevere. If you go via Termini you need to be aware that it's a very big station and the Leonardo Express pulls in at the very last platform so you could have a long walk to the Civitavecchia train.

All the info you need to make your decision can be found on the Trenitalia website. Just type in where you're travelling from and what time and it will give you options http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4ddd1a035296f310VgnVCM1000005817f90aRCRD

Edited by Bobal

Must change in Termini. If you don't want to take the Leonardo Express train there is also the alternative Terravision bus (very easy to find in FCO terminal - just follow the hot pink signs) that will drop you right outside of Termini. Cost - a whopping 4E.

Must change in Termini. If you don't want to take the Leonardo Express train there is also the alternative Terravision bus (very easy to find in FCO terminal - just follow the hot pink signs) that will drop you right outside of Termini. Cost - a whopping 4E.

See my post above yours - you do not need to go to Termini at all

If you don't want to take the train there is a shared shuttle transport, I think RomeLimo. It's about 75€ pp. might be an option if you don't want to carry your luggage around.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info. Most people on the roll call are either staying in Rome or other places and then transferring to the ship. I plan to spend 2 nights right in Civit. I can handle my own luggage, but I'll need to do some detailed research on the exact mechanics of the train so I don't end up in Poland! :D

As a person who is travelling from Poland to Italy by train on our next trip to Europe, I can assure you it would be pretty hard to do by mistake... :D

The Italian train system is pretty easy to use. The ticket machines have English as an option, and signage on the platforms is pretty clear. You will want a Regionale train to Trastevere then another Regionale to Civi (or change at Ostiense, you can get an Intercity train from there depending on the timing).

I've done this a couple of times - it's really easy taking the train. In the airport terminal you'll see the signage directing you to the train. If you're not comfortable using the ticket machines there's fantastic customer service personnel to help you. There's no need to buy the Express train going all the way into Termini. Just get the ticket for Civitavecchia, which will require you to travel to Trastevere, and then transfer to a train going to Civitavecchia. If you'll google traveling by train from FCO to Civitavecchia there use to be an excellent step by step instruction which I'm sure is still available.

As you're traveling out two days ahead of the crowd the train shouldn't be that busy. Just keep in mind the train you'll be on probably has two very steep stairs you'll need to get your suitcase up/down.

As already mentioned it's not near as hard as winding up in Poland. :D However, two things to keep in mind: 1) make sure you don't get on the Express if you haven't purchased that ticket - the fine can be expensive, and 2); make sure you validate your ticket prior to boarding - again the fine can be expensive.

Where are you staying in Civit.? Some hotels will hook you up with other guests who are arriving at FCO around the same time for a transfer.

Be sure to go to the market, have some great pizza, and have dinner in a restaurant along the waterfront.

Lorraine

Where are you staying in Civit.? Some hotels will hook you up with other guests who are arriving at FCO around the same time for a transfer.

Be sure to go to the market, have some great pizza, and have dinner in a restaurant along the waterfront.

Lorraine

Not sure about the hotel yet. I'm thinking about Hotel Traghetto. It sounds doable for an older woman. :) I appreciate all the responses with great info.

• 10 months later...
Has anyone done this recently? I'm just trying to keep my options open regarding transportation. I plan on taking the train from the port to my hotel in

Rome. It sounds like it's not too difficult.

Done what recently?

There are MANY threads here on taking the train. If you don't have a flight before noon, and can lug your bags, it is very doable.

Done what recently?

There are MANY threads here on taking the train. If you don't have a flight before noon, and can lug your bags, it is very doable.

I meant has anyone taken the train to the port from FCO or from the port to a hotel in Rome. The thread is quite a few months old, so I was just wondering if

anyone had traveled via train lately and what their thoughts on it were.

But the more I read, it does sound very doable. So I guess I will stop worrying about it and just do it. I won't have a time constraint as I am just going to go from the cruise port to my hotel in Rome.

Anyway, thanks for responding.