Drink Package-how did you like it?

Cruising, to me, is about having whatever you want whenever you want it. The package took away a small level of stress and made the cruise more enjoyable and convenient.
Well, I would argue that having the package doesn't really change it. They still swipe your card, no? You just don't have to sign anything. When I'm on a cruise, I don't think about what I'm signing either, so to me, it's all the same. It's not like I'm using cash.

At the end of the day, what's frustrating for me about these packages is the fact that I like to drink good wine, and what they offer by the glass as part of the package is just meh. So if we're going to order a $60-90 bottle of wine each/most nights, it makes it that much harder to get the value out of the package, even if they give you a 10% or 20% discount on the bottle.

If they had a good selection of, say, ~$20 wines by the glass, and I just paid the overage (I've seen enough conflicting info here that I'm not even sure what the official RCCL policy is), that could work, although I'd still be leery that (1) the expensive wines by the glass would probably be oxidized and (2) they wouldn't be served at the right temperature. At least with my own bottle of red, I can chill it down to the appropriate serving temp, because they seem to store them at room temp, which is too warm.

Remember if you are on a long cruise and the first couple days are port days...you can purchase the package for the last 4 days.

You can but you still pay for the full 7 days. The don't allow you to buy less days. If they did they would sell to every passenger. Port days you don't usually get your $55 worth so they require the full cruise days.

You can but you still pay for the full 7 days. The don't allow you to buy less days. If they did they would sell to every passenger. Port days you don't usually get your $55 worth so they require the full cruise days.

You're confusing the soda package with the other unlimited packages.

The Replenish, Select, Premium, and Ultimate packages can be purchased for as little as 4 days of the cruise, and you only pay for the days you selected.

Edited by clarea

What is the dollar limit on drinks in the premium package? Is it 8 or 12 for wine? 10 for any drink including liquor? What about margaritas and martini's over 10?

Premium package has a limit of $12 for glasses of wine and $10 for cocktails.

Edited by clarea

I just returned from a week on the Allure and had debated long & hard over the purchasing the drink package. Since I did not I kept track of how much I drank each day. I averaged $30-35 a day. So glad I chose not to purchase it. On the sea days I was on deck 16 and there were not a lot of bar servers on this deck. I usually had to go to the Solarium Bar to order a drink. That being said if there had been more wait staff available I probably would have drank a drink or two more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Premium package has a limit of $12 for glasses of wine and $10 for cocktails.

So if you want the $12 margarita from Rita's, you pay $2 more, or the $17 martini from 150 Park Central, $7 more. Right?

So if you want the $12 margarita from Rita's, you pay $2 more, or the $17 martini from 150 Park Central, $7 more. Right?

That's correct, you should only have to pay the difference. However, some people occasionally report that they get charged the full amount by mistake, so you may you have to "educate" your server about how the package works.

That's correct, you should only have to pay the difference. However, some people occasionally report that they get charged the full amount by mistake, so you may you have to "educate" your server about how the package works.

I'm unlikely to get it as only could be of value if I drank a lot more than normal and if high end cockails were included; mainly figuring out what to advise travel companions who will assume I know about this stuff.

If premium includes non-alcoholic drinks, what's to stop someone from ordering a virgin margarita and not drinking it and next drink order is a shot of tequila (something under 10) to "make" an allowable margarita while at Rita's and the margaritas are $12?

I stumbled upon this link awhile back which made me wonder about the limits on mixed drinks. Maybe they are still working out the consistency issues in what is included.

http://www.******************.com/2014/03/06/top-5-royal-caribbean-unlimited-alcohol-package-drink-values

During our recent trip to Sydney Australia and 3 cruises, last being Hawaii to Vancouver, the $40/day helped with my DH beer tab. On the first cruise, he didn't get it and laid out on average, $6/beer per day so at the end of 5 days he had added up some $305 worth of beer tab with 8 days to go. For the 18 day transpacific he paid total up front $720 and could drink all he could, our hawaii was the smallest bill at $480. if he had stayed on the per bottle cost, we would have paid considerably more for the 43 sea days ( 3 cruises )

We just got off the Allure today, we are a family of 7 adults, 1 of us had the replenish package, 4 had the premium package and 2 the ultimate package.

Honestly, I have to say with the prices of the drinks and if you drink at least 5 drinks in the course of the day/night then knowing that the tip and tax is included in the beverage prices you will get your monies worth.

If you get the ultimate package and drink 2 specialty coffee's, or 2 fresh squeeze orange juice that is served in the am in the windjammer, or one coffee and and juice you will get your monies worth. The fresh squeezed OJ is delicious you may just want two glasses per day.

If you also have 5 drinks in the day, and also consume some water and soda you will be glad you got the package.

I love the package and there are no limits to the number of drinks you can have, it is so worth having and its nice not to have that bar bill at the end of the cruise.

Sailing ncl so I know specifics vary but we're first timers. We only drink water so is there any reason why we can't bring a nalgene and drink tap? Is it nonpotable or just not tasty?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

my opinion has changed slightly with the package

prior using the package all passengers in the stateroom had to get the same package, so the premium was $110 per day

my wife is not a big drinker, maybe 2 or 3 for a day and I drink less on ship on port days

after talking with crown and anchor today about my upcoming cruises, I was informed that now it is per person, so if I wanted the package and my wife didnt, I would only be charged for me, not the per person in stateroom

this works out so much better for us.

I can have my premium drink package, pay the little for what my wife drinks and she can add the replenish package:cool:

also I read you can get for select days, this is not the case

it can be added on cruise on 3rd day if there is a remaining 4 days left

then it would be for the last 4 days (per c&a)

I've read a number of people feel they need to get their monies worth. Truthfully, I don't care if DH drinks enough to get his money worth, I like pre-paying and not having the hassle of it.

Since my stomach can't handle alcohol - I am super pumped about the new non-alcoholic drink package!

Truthfully, I don't care if DH drinks enough to get his money worth, I like pre-paying and not having the hassle of it.

If the prepay aspect is what you like best, why not just prepurchase onboard credit; you can get the difference back in cash.

Hi- I will be on explorer of the seas in aug and am trying to decide whether or not go get the select $40 wine and beer package. I only drink wine so I know that the $55 package is not worth it for me. My concern is that I will have to pay an upgrade every time I order a glass b/c the $40 package only allows for wine that is $8/glass. Is there a good selection at $8? I assume it will be just the house wine for that price and no choice. I appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi- I will be on explorer of the seas in aug and am trying to decide whether or not go get the select $40 wine and beer package. I only drink wine so I know that the $55 package is not worth it for me. My concern is that I will have to pay an upgrade every time I order a glass b/c the $40 package only allows for wine that is $8/glass. Is there a good selection at $8? I assume it will be just the house wine for that price and no choice. I appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

See the MDR wine list starting at post #637:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1992376&page=32

Edited by clarea

Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had the ultimate on the Freedom and had to pay the whole price of a glass if it was over $12... Not just the difference. I see the Q&A talk about paying the difference for a cocktail, but I didn't see it about wine. I just made sure to order $12 or under after asking multiple places because I didn't think paying the whole amount was fair.

We had the ultimate on the Freedom and had to pay the whole price of a glass if it was over $12... Not just the difference. I see the Q&A talk about paying the difference for a cocktail, but I didn't see it about wine. I just made sure to order $12 or under after asking multiple places because I didn't think paying the whole amount was fair.

Hmmm....I wonder if this is the source of the discrepancies reported in the forums. Cocktails you pay the difference, wine you pay the full amount. That's pretty sh1tty if you ask me.

And I did spend some time perusing the wine menus, and it looks like a rather limited selection of "high quality" glasses over $12. But if you have to pay the full price anyway, that's a pretty big strike against the package.

And FWIW, I noticed a few really good values on the wine list (just under 2x retail markup), and of course, some rip-offs (well over 3x retail markup).

Strange

Just got off the Liberty last week and drank $16 glasses of Malbec for $4 each with the premium drink package

shelton

Hmmm....I wonder if this is the source of the discrepancies reported in the forums. Cocktails you pay the difference, wine you pay the full amount. That's pretty sh1tty if you ask me.

And I did spend some time perusing the wine menus, and it looks like a rather limited selection of "high quality" glasses over $12. But if you have to pay the full price anyway, that's a pretty big strike against the package.

And FWIW, I noticed a few really good values on the wine list (just under 2x retail markup), and of course, some rip-offs (well over 3x retail markup).

It's disappointing that people are still experiencing problems getting the proper credit for wine and cocktails with the package. It's been 6 months now since the new packages were rolled out, and some ships are still doing it wrong.

We just returned this past weekend from the Oasis. I had the $55 a day package and my husband had the beer package $40 a day. I know he came out ahead but I'm pretty sure I didn't meet the price I paid. I was breaking even until probably mid week and then I was just over the drinks. I felt like I was drinking to drink which is ok but by Thursday and Friday I didn't really use it at all. However, I enjoyed being able to get bottled water. As far as signing we had to sign about 95% of the time.

I was breaking even until probably mid week and then I was just over the drinks.
I think that's what a lot of people underestimate. Takes a lot of stamina to keep up the 6 drinks a day for 7 days. Not saying there aren't plenty of people for whom that's not a problem, but I think it gets lost behind the "can I drink 6 drinks in one day? Yes" question.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app