Travel Steam Iron

Fred C

Will I be allowed to bring a small traveling steam iron on the Oasis?

When packing, roll your clothing or fold neatly like stores do to minimize wrinkles. Once in your room, promptly unpack and hang items in the closet to loosen wrinkles.

Don't worry too much about looking like a wrinkled mess, everyone else is in the same "boat" as you are. :D

From RCI's website.

Life Onboard

Print This Page

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A:

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners.

If it is a steamer ONLY, you are ok. Meaning it has NO exposed hot plate on it. If it is the plastic type that ONLY emits steam, no problem! It's functionally not much different than a humidifier..

Not saying you are wrong LMaxwell but just not sure it's clear from this where RCI makes the distinction you indicate regarding "steamers only" being OK. They categorize "travel steamers" as not being allowed, which to me would imply all travel steamers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I assure you that as long as there is NO hot plate (as an iron, or a steamer iron would have) you will be okay.

Something like this; steam only, no plate, no pressing.

rowenta-steamer-fb.jpg

As LeaveItAll says, I cannot contradict your personal experiences, but agree with him that RCI does not distinguish between different types of steamers. A steamer, by definition, generates heat, which is what is proscribed by RCI. The thought process is that if the switch that cuts out the heating element when there is no water in the unit were to fail, the heating element would quickly reach the melting point of the plastic steamer. Lets say you are present in the cabin, have used the steamer, and are currently hanging clothes in the closet, and the steamer fails as above. You turn around at the smell of something burning, and either the temperature of the plastic or the fumes from it burning preclude you from unplugging it. You then have to leave the cabin to call in a fire (or the fire detector and sprinkler take care of that for you), and your stuff and the cabin are ruined.

As far fetched as that scenario may seem to people, this is the thought process involved in deciding what is and is not allowed onboard. I still remember the Mr. Coffee problems they had when first introduced, and the water level switch would fail, and the heating element inside the plastic water container would heat up without water, and the machine would catch fire (this had nothing to do with the metal heating pad for the carafe). This led me and many folks not to trust the timers and level switches in coffee makers, and unplug them when not in use.

All plastic appliances with heating elements in them can be as dangerous as items with heated metal surfaces. JMHO.

Edited by chengkp75

Not saying you are wrong LMaxwell but just not sure it's clear from this where RCI makes the distinction you indicate regarding "steamers only" being OK. They categorize "travel steamers" as not being allowed, which to me would imply all travel steamers.

As LeaveItAll says, I cannot contradict your personal experiences, but agree with him that RCI does not distinguish between different types of steamers. A steamer, by definition, generates heat, which is what is proscribed by RCI. The thought process is that if the switch that cuts out the heating element when there is no water in the unit were to fail, the heating element would quickly reach the melting point of the plastic steamer. Lets say you are present in the cabin, have used the steamer, and are currently hanging clothes in the closet, and the steamer fails as above. You turn around at the smell of something burning, and either the temperature of the plastic or the fumes from it burning preclude you from unplugging it. You then have to leave the cabin to call in a fire (or the fire detector and sprinkler take care of that for you), and your stuff and the cabin are ruined.

As far fetched as that scenario may seem to people, this is the thought process involved in deciding what is and is not allowed onboard. I still remember the Mr. Coffee problems they had when first introduced, and the water level switch would fail, and the heating element inside the plastic water container would heat up without water, and the machine would catch fire (this had nothing to do with the metal heating pad for the carafe). This led me and many folks not to trust the timers and level switches in coffee makers, and unplug them when not in use.

All plastic appliances with heating elements in them can be as dangerous as items with heated metal surfaces. JMHO.

Yep, we can't contradict his personal experiences with regards to getting away with breaking the rules, but good to point out that his posts about the differences and which are ok and which are not are literally made up out of thin air - at least with respect to RCI's written/published RULES about steamers! :rolleyes:

Yep, we can't contradict his personal experiences with regards to getting away with breaking the rules

When I sent clothing out to be pressed I asked what/if any steamers were OK and was TOLD that as long as it is STEAM ONLY / NO HOTPLATE that it is acceptable. I am relaying information from crew members on board. Save your sanctimony please. No, I didn't get away with breaking the rules, but thanks for assuming and making that idiotic statement. I sure hope your Monday improves if that is indicative of your mindset...

When I sent clothing out to be pressed I asked what/if any steamers were OK and was TOLD that as long as it is STEAM ONLY / NO HOTPLATE that it is acceptable. I am relaying information from crew members on board. Save your sanctimony please. No, I didn't get away with breaking the rules, but thanks for assuming and making that idiotic statement. I sure hope your Monday improves if that is indicative of your mindset...

I'm sure you were TOLD - probably by someone WAY up the food chain like a cabin steward or similar. :rolleyes: Someone like that doesn't have the authority to contradict RCI's published rules - but its convenient to take their word over the line's published rules if you're wanting to break them in the first place, I guess.

If you need steam - turn the shower on at the hottest temperature (obviously do not get under it!) and voila - steam to release wrinkles. (does not work on me though:()

Yep! Through decades of business travel, that little trick has always worked great for me to unwrinkle clothes during travel! :)

The no steamers policy is relatively recent. The policy used to be pretty much as LMaxwell states it. Steamers were not prohibited as a general class, but there were some that looked a lot like irons that they would pull out. Maybe the folks he is talking to were thinking of the older policy. But its pretty clear that the current list of prohibited items includes "Travel Steamers" and that is a separate item from "hot plates."

The no steamers policy is relatively recent. The policy used to be pretty much as LMaxwell states it. Steamers were not prohibited as a general class, but there were some that looked a lot like irons that they would pull out. Maybe the folks he is talking to were thinking of the older policy. But its pretty clear that the current list of prohibited items includes "Travel Steamers" and that is a separate item from "hot plates."

Yep... :cool:

I'm sure you were TOLD - probably by someone WAY up the food chain like a cabin steward or similar. :rolleyes: Someone like that doesn't have the authority to contradict RCI's published rules - but its convenient to take their word over the line's published rules if you're wanting to break them in the first place, I guess.

I am not on trial here and I don't need to satisfy you as to what the job title was of the person that gave me the information, but I do assure you it was NOT a cabin steward. I am relaying that information here for the benefit and clarity of all who may read it. You're coming across with a real attitude problem towards me as if I did something wrong and really is not necessary.

I am not condoning people break rules, I am helping to clarify them. Don't go having a stroke over this ( you will miss your next cruise ) and if you want to continue your little hissy fit and rolling your eyes you can have an audience of none. Some people are just unbelievable...

My first hand experience was on a cruise I embarked on March 2014. Maybe it HAS been revised since such a short period. I still won't tolerate others insisting I broke rules or am a liar or any other such childs playground bunk. (not directed at you, directed at the guy having a fit)

I was simply trying to say if one packs correctly then an iron or steamer is not needed, and your clothes will be fine and you will look neat. It is not my style to post an insulting comment. If you look at the time difference between my post and the one before, you can almost tell we were typing at the same time.

Truly sorry if I offended anyone :o

Absolutely NO harm was done. Thanks for the clarification!