Hold on credit/debit card

Eaglemad

Does anyone know if Princess puts a hold on your credit/debit card for a pre-determined amount during your cruise as security, when you register your card?

I have looked on the Princess website and can't seem to find any information.

Thanks

Does anyone know if Princess puts a hold on your credit/debit card for a pre-determined amount during your cruise as security, when you register your card?

I have looked on the Princess website and can't seem to find any information.

Thanks

Each night around 2AM Customer Service places a hold on your credit/debit card for the additional balance amount on your folio. If your folio has no balance, for example you are still working off your OBC's, or made a cash deposit, then there is no hold. There is no standard hold amount each day like HAL.

At the end of your voyage Princess charges the card. The length of time the hold remains on your card after the actual charge is made is not determined by Princess, but by your bank's policies.

HAL puts a hold of $60/day when you are completing your personal information online and entering a credit or debit card. When I book a HAL cruise, I wait until the last minute to enter my credit card so I can print out my boarding pass. That can add up to a very large amount on hold depending on the cruise. As said, Princess puts a hold on your card daily only when you are onboard and there's a balance due.

Edited by Pam in CA

If you have OBC or have put cash onto your onboard account and are still in credit anything you spend will come out of that. Once that is used up Princess will put a hold on your debit card each night around 2am for the money you have spent each day.

Once you return home, Princess will take the full amount owed to them, our bank said the holds would take 28 days to drop off. So in essence for the best part of a month, double the actual amount owed would be missing out of the account.

Princess are very good and a few phone calls later and faxes to the bank they had the holds taken off our account.

If you have OBC or have put cash onto your onboard account and are still in credit anything you spend will come out of that. Once that is used up Princess will put a hold on your debit card each night around 2am for the money you have spent each day.

Once you return home, Princess will take the full amount owed to them, our bank said the holds would take 28 days to drop off. So in essence for the best part of a month, double the actual amount owed would be missing out of the account.

Princess are very good and a few phone calls later and faxes to the bank they had the holds taken off our account.

I think the 28 days is because you used a debit card. A credit card should be around 7 days

HAL puts a hold of $60/day when you are completing your personal information online and entering a credit or debit card. When I book a HAL cruise, I wait until the last minute to enter my credit card so I can print out my boarding pass. That can add up to a very large amount on hold depending on the cruise.

I would think a hold placed well in advance of embarkation would drop off by the time you actually sail.

So if the personal info along with CC number is entered 60 or more days in advance, wouldn't any hold be gone by embarkation day?

I'm confused????:confused:

We've never had a problem spending any amount of money we please on Princess ships ... nor on any other cruise line.

When you check into a hotel, use a credit card in a gas pump, or get onto a Princess ship a check is made to make sure your credit card has enough credit left to satisfy any possible bill. Once this is done, there is a "hold" put on that amount of credit so it will not get used for something else.

If the case of a hotel, it will at least be for thge cost of the room for your entire stay. For a gas pump, it may be $50, $100 or more. For Princess, it is what you actually charge.

When the purchase is actually completed (hotel stay over, gas pumped, cruise ended) a charge for the actual amount is sent to the credit card company. However the "hold" amount may linger until it goes asway after a period of time determined by the bank's policies.

When you check into a hotel, use a credit card in a gas pump, or get onto a Princess ship a check is made to make sure your credit card has enough credit left to satisfy any possible bill. Once this is done, there is a "hold" put on that amount of credit so it will not get used for something else.

If the case of a hotel, it will at least be for thge cost of the room for your entire stay. For a gas pump, it may be $50, $100 or more. For Princess, it is what you actually charge.

When the purchase is actually completed (hotel stay over, gas pumped, cruise ended) a charge for the actual amount is sent to the credit card company. However the "hold" amount may linger until it goes asway after a period of time determined by the bank's policies.

Thanks so much, think I understand now. Because the credit limit for our credit card is a large sum, it's never ever been a problem for us.

Thanks again ... I was really confused.

LuLu

So if the personal info along with CC number is entered 60 or more days in advance, wouldn't any hold be gone by embarkation day?
Sure. But if you're taking a 28-day HAL cruise, as I did, who wants a hold of $1,680 at any time? So, I procrastinate until the last minute.

This has been my experience. I always mention to my nieces who travel with me to make sure they have enough in reserve to account for some holds. Princess has to make sure you can settle your onboard expenses before you leave the ship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always call the credit card company whose card I'm using, before I leave. In this fashion, they know I'm on a cruise, in the Caribbean or wherever, and they won't freeze my account because of suspicious charges and they can't reach me to confirm I made them! It would be a real pain if that happened!

I always call the credit card company whose card I'm using, before I leave. In this fashion, they know I'm on a cruise, in the Caribbean or wherever, and they won't freeze my account because of suspicious charges and they can't reach me to confirm I made them! It would be a real pain if that happened!

Me too. And I usually get a nice "thanks for letting us know" from the person on the phone.

I think the 28 days is because you used a debit card. A credit card should be around 7 days

Btw, I avoid this situation completely when I cruise as I just bring cash to pay all of my shipboard expenses. I enter a card number so I can print the boarding pass beforehand, but then when I check in, I tell them I'm going to be paying cash. Then as soon as I board, I go directly to Passenger Services, hand them the cash to put on my account, and I'm set.

If there is still cash left on my account by the end, then I go back and get the balance, or if I need more, I'll pay them more cash as needed.

If the alternative is using a Debit card, I believe this solution is a much better one, since you're already accounting for what you want to spend without having additional holds placed on your debit card account.

I've been doing it this way for the last few years, and it works like a charm! :D

Btw, I avoid this situation completely when I cruise as I just bring cash to pay all of my shipboard expenses..... If the alternative is using a Debit card, I believe this solution is a much better one.

Some people do not like to travel with large amounts of cash.

Some people do not like to travel with large amounts of cash.

True, and I normally do not either. However, it's generally pretty easy to make a quick stop at an ATM on the way to the port for embarkation.