Eze - Nice - or Monte Carlo?

Mermen

Hi All,

We are tendering in Villefranche. Our first time in France. We have an interest in visiting Monte Carlo, Eze and Nice. Since we are only in port from 10 AM to 6 PM, would like to make the best use of our time. We have already scheduled 4 ship excursions so would like to do this on our own.

Would love to hear pros and cons on which of these towns to visit? From what I've read and pictures I've looked at, Eze looks charming. Would we be better off visiting the charming village of Villefranche?

I understand Nice and Monte Carlo are in opposite directions, so would prefer to only focus on one - and considering we only have 6-hours, just makes sense. Not big shoppers, and not a super huge fan of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, though interesting to look at the yachts and shops, would rather be intrigued with the natural beauty of a village, history, museum and art, strolling and even a cathedral or 2 (though we'll have had our fill, LOL).

Thanks for your feedback and discussion! :)

Edited by Mermen

Hi Mermen,

We are on your cruise, we've chatted on roll call. We have done Nice, and Eze, and Monaco in one stop a few ears ago. We did her a private guide shared among three couples. It was one f our best cruise days ever. It was easier because we had a guide, however I have read that you can manage on your own. If I had to make a choice I would drop Monaco . Nice was truly lovely, has a fabulous flower market, great foodie area with local food, wine , olive oil and little cafés . The flower market is best in the morning, by the time we got to it some vendors had left. Old town Nice is beautiful to look at, as is Eze. Stunning views.

We actually docked at Monaco, drove to Nice, walked around, had a lunch at a local place recommended by the guide, then drove up to Eze , sightseeing and stops for pictures on the way, toured the perfume factory, then Eze and then back to Monaco to board the ship. I believe we were on land from about 11:00 to 6:00.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Gary

I went to both (on different days) last October

[YOUTUBE]OXW5R66Td2o[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]3yP8aGVHyFY[/YOUTUBE]

Monaco, being so much smaller is easy to see in 2-3 hours but Nice easily merits a full day, especially a shortish one like yours. So like keesu I'd drop Monaco. If you go to Nice and decide you want to take that HO-HO (€20) bus it leaves from the Lido on the Promenade des Anglais NOT on the point marked on the leaflets given out at the Tourist Offices. But however you perm it you will have a great day. All the best, Tony

Keesu, thanks. Sounds amazing and since this is our 2nd port, would be lovely to bring back fresh blooms from the flower market. Have you booked your excursion yet?

Tony, loved the videos! Thanks for the feedback. Monaco looks fun, if anything to flit around the perimeter for an hour (train or HoHo) but since we're only in Nice for 6 hours, will most likely visit Nice and the sights of Villefranche. Feedback is most welcome!

Appreciate your input. :)

Edited by Mermen

Hi Mermen

We still have not booked anything, but we are leaning towards a Celebrity excursion, perhaps the one that is mostly on your own but does Pisa which we have not seen. We are still holding out for a bit. How about you guys.

If you have any other questions about the France stop ask away. We loved that particular day, a real cruising high point, and we are really looking forward to going back.

Since we have some tine, and we know things are close we will be doing that port as a DIY port. We are actually doing almost all the ports on this trip DIY.

Keesu

Hi Keesu, we decided to DIY in Villefranche. If we're feeling adventuresome, will take the train to Nice and scope out the town - but no =X= excursion in France. We just need to get info on the train now.

In Livorno, we are doing the Florence and Pisa excursion with the GPS device. Looks like it's pretty much DIY, they just provide the charter bus ride and the smart device. We want to see both cities and this looks like a great option.

We did book other tours - I'll list them on our roll call board (but beginning to wonder if anyone is alive over there) :D

The effort to go to Nice definitely is worth it. In addition to the lovely Flower Market, there are several wonderful museums. I suggest after strolling the Market and Old Town Nice, you catch a bus up to the Chagall Museum. Designed by Chagall himself, it includes his Old Testament series and a great many of his other works.

Hi Keesu, we decided to DIY in Villefranche. If we're feeling adventuresome, will take the train to Nice and scope out the town - but no =X= excursion in France. We just need to get info on the train now.

In Livorno, we are doing the Florence and Pisa excursion with the GPS device. Looks like it's pretty much DIY, they just provide the charter bus ride and the smart device. We want to see both cities and this looks like a great option.

We did book other tours - I'll list them on our roll call board (but beginning to wonder if anyone is alive over there) :D

You might consider taking bus 100 into Nice. The train station is a hike to old town Nice, the bus will put you right there. It's also only a Euro or two - best travel deal in Europe.

However, if you do decide to go to the Chagall, the train might be a better choice in at least one direction, since the train station is the general area of the Chagall (uphill).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Mermen,

We are on your cruise, we've chatted on roll call. We have done Nice, and Eze, and Monaco in one stop a few ears ago. We did her a private guide shared among three couples. It was one f our best cruise days ever. It was easier because we had a guide, however I have read that you can manage on your own. If I had to make a choice I would drop Monaco . Nice was truly lovely, has a fabulous flower market, great foodie area with local food, wine , olive oil and little cafés . The flower market is best in the morning, by the time we got to it some vendors had left. Old town Nice is beautiful to look at, as is Eze. Stunning views.

We actually docked at Monaco, drove to Nice, walked around, had a lunch at a local place recommended by the guide, then drove up to Eze , sightseeing and stops for pictures on the way, toured the perfume factory, then Eze and then back to Monaco to board the ship. I believe we were on land from about 11:00 to 6:00.

Hope this helps.

Hi Keesu,

I'm thinking of booking a similar private tour. Would you mind sharing with me the tour company you booked with?

Many thanks!

Jane

Hi Keesu,

I'm thinking of booking a similar private tour. Would you mind sharing with me the tour company you booked with?

Many thanks!

Jane

Not Keesu but we used Dream Tours in 2013 when we stopped in Monte Carlo. The website is: http://www.dream-tours.com/

We had a fabulous guide, Jean Marc or Jean Guy (sorry, I can't remember). We did a similar tour to what Keesu described earlier. Our only issue was that the flower market and many roads in Nice were closed that particular day because of a marathon. We also went to St Paul de Vence. It was a great day. We enjoyed it so much, we've booked a river cruise to France.

I hope you enjoy your day there as much as we did!

Following on from this we will dock in Cannes

We have a small child with us.

Would you recommend...

A) Monaco

B) Nice

C) Antibes

D) Stopping in Cannes for the day

We like all the usual... Beach, wandering pretty streets, food

Edited by kfowinst

You will love Eze!

I also want to share that if you love gardens, I highly recommend Villa & Jardins Ephrussi de Rothschild! We were just there and it has beautiful views, as it is situated in Saint Jean Cap Ferrat.

See http://www.villa-ephrussi.com for details.

From Villefranche, take Bus 81 and get off at Passable stop just across the street (you will then walk up the hill to the entrance). It took 15-20 minutes by bus from Villefranche.

There are 9 different gardens on this estate and the views are gorgeous! So glad we went!

(For those in port at Monaco, just take bus 100 and connect to 81, ask at the TI for best connection point, as there are various ones you could use....both lines share a number of stops). Check http://www.lignesdazur.com/ or get up to date bus schedules from the TI office (tip: I would print in advance, as the TI closest to our tender area was out of the regional bus schedules, I got one from another TI office).

Enjoy your day!!

Edited by syesmar

Following on from this we will dock in Cannes

We have a small child with us.

Would you recommend...

A) Monaco

B) Nice

C) Antibes

D) Stopping in Cannes for the day

We like all the usual... Beach, wandering pretty streets, food

Nice, Antibes and Cannes fit the bill for pretty streets and easy access to beaches. The beaches in Nice and Cannes are all private. You rent the beach chairs and umbrellas and they all have a restaurant in place. (Try salade nicoise or pan bagnat along with a carafe of the local rose wine). The beach in Antibes is a short walk from the old town, but it is more of an open beach with fewer facilities. If you do go to Antibes, backtrack on the train to Juan-les-Pins which has great beach facilities.

Also, Nice and Antibes are pebble beaches. Juan-les-Pins and Cannes have sand beaches. Most picturesque are Nice and Antibes. The Cannes waterfront is more modern and so is Juan.

I would not do Monte Carlo with a small child.