incident in giovannis specialty resturant this week

My guess is that the man did not feel awkward at all. Seems RCI is quite picky about sleeveless shirts on men. If the man have been wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and his sport cap on backwards he would've been just fine. It's the sleeveless shirt that got him in trouble.

Go figure

I do agree with many other posters. I certainly would not label the post "an incident".I thought something bad had happened to a passenger. I am happy to learn it was just an issue of dress.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

M

i meant he must have felt awkward being told to change(his face was a little red). not wearing it in the first place. but it never spoiled my time, i had a blast. he wore his athletic shirt and i just forgot about him and enjoyed my meal and company.

I'm still scratching my head what the purpose of this post was. Every day I'd assume someone is asked to comply with something. Maybe it was not to splash so hard in the pool or not to run on the deck. Why does that warrant a post?

I'm still scratching my head what the purpose of this post was. Every day I'd assume someone is asked to comply with something. Maybe it was not to splash so hard in the pool or not to run on the deck. Why does that warrant a post?

I know I am speaking for the OP but probably that is so rare to see any of the suggested dress codes enforced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

it wasnt a wife beater but like a dry fit sleeveless shirt, with under arm hair sticking out and it was bright orange to boot. lol

now for those who are saying it was ok but pushing it, remember he was asked to change so clearly it is not ok nor "pushing it", it was not allowed period.

BRIGHT ORANGE !!! :eek: The color is the problem.

Are women who don't shave allowed to go sleeveless?

Penny

BRIGHT ORANGE !!! :eek: The color is the problem.

Are women who don't shave allowed to go sleeveless?

Penny

the color was why it received more attention and everyone noticing him.

lol at the wear what you want supporters failing to realize it wasn't the costumers who had the problem, it was the staff that asked him to change.

i just thought him changing to an athletic shirt made it comical.

Edited by Harooni

The norm for all specialty restaurants for men is long pants and a golf/polo shirt and what most really do wear. The specialty restaurants aren't dressy ... but a sleeveless shirt on a man is sort of odd. :rolleyes:

LuLu

On formal nights...people dress formal at "all" resturants? Was thinking it might be less formal if we didn't eat in MDR. Enlighten me.

Just got back yesterday--specialty restaurants were "smart casual" on formal night. You don't need to dress formally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On formal nights...people dress formal at "all" resturants? Was thinking it might be less formal if we didn't eat in MDR. Enlighten me.

Actually, not everyone dresses tux/coat&tie on formal nights in the MDR either. Just the way things are now.

LuLu

I am so tired of the 'it's my vacation, I will do what I want" mentality.....:eek::rolleyes:

:eek: Ugh, I'm going on a cruise with some friends in a few months. One of them kind of has that mentality (he's far from a jerk, I think he just doesn't like to get dressed up). Apparently he was at an all-inclusive in the DR recently and they wouldn't let him in the dining room with shorts and he was quite peeved. I may have to smack some sense into him. :)

:eek: Ugh, I'm going on a cruise with some friends in a few months. One of them kind of has that mentality (he's far from a jerk, I think he just doesn't like to get dressed up). Apparently he was at an all-inclusive in the DR recently and they wouldn't let him in the dining room with shorts and he was quite peeved. I may have to smack some sense into him. :)

I sat in the mdr at an upscale all inclusive resort in a swimsuit and a souvenir t'shirt. It was a semi-formal setting, no-one felt the need to smack any sense into me. The place didn't burst into flames either and the food was delicious.

For those that don't know why you would post this, I for one thought it was humorous, and I was pleased to see some standards being set for a restaurant you pay extra for. Just my opinion.

I don't understand why people don't understand why you post this, then they read the whole lot, and then they take the time to post their reply, which lets us all know they read it, and cared enough to post a reply! I see the same thing with online news articles about TV shows, that people never watch, and they read the article, and then take the time to post about how they never watch the stupid show??? HUH????

I posted a while back when I was a bit peeved that people were in the MDR with shorts, logo/joke t-shirts, and flip flops. At the same table there were some very well dressed ladies also. It was slightly annoying to me, but I still enjoyed my dinner and my dining table company. The reply from some was that it is up to the host to determine what is acceptable. Fair enough, I do accept that as a fair comment. Well, this article gives me hope that a specialty restaurant does have some level that the host expects.

That is what I got from this thread, and I found it helpful for future cruise packing, as I need to fly home next trip, and I want to pack light. A bunch of sleeveless tops isn't gonna do! ;)

Funny how we have become a people that gets all bent out of shape on what Others do.

My 02 as usual

Michael

Sad how we have become a people that is all about me, mind your own business and show no consideration for my surrounding at all.

The "I can wear anything" crowd makes a non-stop effort to thump anyone that might consider even the faintest of dress code when dining.

funny as i see so many posters leaning toward under dressing . funny thing was on this last cruise 95% was dressed up for formal nights and dressed nicely for dinner every night. I was surprised because the many posts here suggested most want to dress down.

so i was glad i went with what i like to do and was dressed appropriately for all dinners and shows.

You know as with many of the hot Topics on CC, my experience is that it´s simply a non-issue onboard.

To stay on the "Dress code" Topic, I keep reading about the ever increasing "Dress down" Folks on here, but my experience on the ships is that the vast majority will be dressed accordingly.

If i were to guess i am thinking that it was their first cruise and didn't do any reading of the fine print. Probably the only "clothes" that they brought.

my 02 as usual.

Michael

Whatever the reason is, what difference does it make?

You know as with many of the hot Topics on CC, my experience is that it´s simply a non-issue onboard.

To stay on the "Dress code" Topic, I keep reading about the ever increasing "Dress down" Folks on here, but my experience on the ships is that the vast majority will be dressed accordingly.

I agree! The issue IS MORE CC THAN ON BOARD. We find that while a few do whatever they like, most passengers seem to conform to some dress standard or suggestion.

Contrary to what many believe, generally CC passangers are just a tinty population of those on board.

M

I saw a huge variety in the MDR on my recent cruise. It definitely leaned more toward casual. We even saw men in shorts in Chops on formal night (they were nice shorts were paired with dressier, collared shirts). It's up to the cruise line to enforce - we've been on NCL and they are pretty regular about asking people who aren't dressed appropriately, to go change (even my husband on one occasion). It doesn't seem like RCCL is that strict about it.

If you're going to cruise with the mass-market lines, I think you have to prepared for a variety of dress codes. Perhaps not so much on the higher-end lines. I don't mind it because I don't like to pack a lot of fussy clothes - I'll participate in formal nights but other nights will just do a casual dress or pants & a top. Lines should be drawn however, at things like jean shorts and muscle-t's. One can be casually dressed and still be presentable.

I really don't care if people dress more casually than others, but I do care if they come to dinner in sweaty gym clothes (tank tops and shiny shorts). This happened when we were sharing a large table once, on formal night, and I was annoyed.

I agree! The issue IS MORE CC THAN ON BOARD. We find that while a few do whatever they like, most passengers seem to conform to some dress standard or suggestion.

Contrary to what many believe, generally CC passangers are just a tinty population of those on board.

M

And a very oppinionated and vocal one. In real life simply a non issue.