Question on Luggage and Flights

4cats,1dog

My DH boss keeps telling him to expect to have your luggage not make it on International Flights.

How often does this Happen?

We are flying United- Ft. Lauderdale to Houston, change planes (1 hour standby) then Houston to Vancouver. If we check one bag each, what are the odds it doesn't make it.

We are coming in a day before we Sail.

Are their horror tales?

Edited by 4cats,1dog

I'm 64, in all my years of flying to Canada, France, and all over the states, I've never lost a bag. I know it certainly happens, I have friends and relatives who have had it happen, but it is NOT the norm.

I work for the airlines and it is not that often that bags are delayed without any reason... Tags are attached so well now with super sticky adhesive that they don't fall off easily.

Bags loaded onto the wrong aircraft, last minute gate changes, delayed flights leaving a very tight connection...these are the main reasons....

Out of every 50 bags on a flight I would say less than 1% are delayed for these reasons, so the odds are that you will be fine :) :)

A lot of passengers connecting beyond Vancouver ( to another Canadian city) don't always realize that they have to claim their bag after they clear customs...that is quite common!

Just remember to ALWAYS carry on your medication,money, passport and keys...basically if you need it with 24 hours of landing and CANNOT get by with out it...carry it on!

Good luck and don't worry!

Edited by akacake

I've flown overseas dozens of times and my luggage has never been lost. I fly several times a year within the US and my luggage has never been lost. Twice my luggage has been 'misplaced' by the airline but I received it within 5 hrs. I know it happens but so far, not to me.

You're arriving a day ahead so you'll be fine. If you're really worried about it, pack a change of clothes in your carry on.

I can tell you horror stories about people missing their cruise to Alaska ... they flew in the day of and their flight was late so they missed boarding by 30 minutes, or, they failed to bring appropriate documentation. EVERY weekend there is someone who misses their cruise out of Seattle.

My DH boss keeps telling him to expect to have your luggage not make it on International Flights.

We are flying United- Ft. Lauderdale to Houston, change planes (1 hour standby) then Houston to Vancouver. If we check one bag each, what are the odds it doesn't make it.

Are their horror tales?

Pack some of your and his clothes in each bag. DOUBLE CHECK the tag they put on your checked bags for the correct flights, even though your boarding passes are correct? A friend had correct boarding passes, but checked bags showed a different destination. Have not had any of our bags have gone astray in our long distance flights.

In all our years of flying, we have only had a bag lost once, but we have had bags delayed or mis-routed a number of times throughout the years.

Usually when a bag is delayed, it arrives on the next flight.

When our luggage does not show up at baggage claim, we file a missing luggage report, take the tracking number and head for our hotel. Typically the bag comes in later that night or the next day and is delivered to us at the hotel.

As frequent travelers, we always travel with all necessities and enough clothing to get by for at least 3 -4 days in our carry-on bags.

The longest delay we ever had receiving our luggage on international flights was 4 days when there were 3 different airlines involved.

But even that was not a "horror tale" because everything arrived intact and nothing was missing.

The closest thing to a "horror tale" was the one bag that permanently went missing, and that was really more of a nuisance than a horror tale because of all the red tape involved.

Passengers are less likely to have their bags pulled for weight restrictions if flying first class than if flying coach.

But either way, the odds are in your favor that your checked bags will arrive with you.

Even if they don't get on your flight, they will most likely arrive in Vancouver on the next flight. It is not as though you are traveling to some distant third-world country half-way around the world. ;)

I work for the airlines and it is not that often that bags are delayed without any reason... Tags are attached so well now with super sticky adhesive that they don't fall off easily.

Bags loaded onto the wrong aircraft, last minute gate changes, delayed flights leaving a very tight connection...these are the main reasons....

Out of every 50 bags on a flight I would say less than 1% are delayed for these reasons, so the odds are that you will be fine :) :)

A lot of passengers connecting beyond Vancouver ( to another Canadian city) don't always realize that they have to claim their bag after they clear customs...that is quite common!

Just remember to ALWAYS carry on your medication,money, passport and keys...basically if you need it with 24 hours of landing and CANNOT get by with out it...carry it on!

Good luck and don't worry!

My flight is from Detroit ----> Toronto ----> Vancouver. So in Toronto, I will get off the plane, go through customs, get my checked luggage, check my luggage again, and then go back through security? Just trying to get it all straight!

My flight is from Detroit ----> Toronto ----> Vancouver. So in Toronto, I will get off the plane, go through customs, get my checked luggage, check my luggage again, and then go back through security? Just trying to get it all straight!

Yes, you clear customs at your 1st Canadian city you land at, then move your bag over to the connection belt...just ensure that the baggage tag has your final destination on it.

OP, that is ridiculous advice from your DH's boss. Sounds like he's a bit jaded or jealous that you're going. I've traveled internationally many times and only had 1 bag show up a few hours after we arrived home. The airline drove it 80 miles to our house for us. I know people that are much more well-traveled than I am and they've never lost a bag. It DOES happen, but it's not often.

When it does happen, it's the airline's responsibility to get it to you or compensate you for it (minimal amt. - know your flyer rights). Make sure you include your FULL itinerary in the inside of each and every suitcase.

Include:

Where you will be for every day on the cruise

Pre-cruise hotel name & address

Post-cruise hotel name & address

Your cell phone number

Your email address

Indicate something about your house-sitter, like their email

I purposely do not include my home address on this or on any luggage tags, as I do not want to tempt anyone into opening my bag and finding that, then robbing me blind while I'm on vacation. If they need to get in touch with me after they've lost my bag, they can call or email me with a request for my address to send the bag to after identifying themselves.

Are their horror tales?

I've only permanently lost one bag in over 30 years. But have had some delayed. You mention "standby"? Are you flying non rev/buddy pass etc? In those cases if you don't make your flight due to no seats, bags may go ahead of you (I always send my through). In those cases you will have to go to the airline baggage deck and get your bag.

Just last week when I checked in for my flight to Florida I told the agent I wanted one bag to go to Germany and the other to Hawaii. He said 'Sir we can't do that." I said "Really? You did it to me last month" :D

As other posters have said it is very rare, though it does happen, but be prepared and take the advice given above. But also know your rights as to what you are entitled to for a lost/late bag.

I've flown internationally (North America & Europe) multiple times each. As a former foreign language teacher, I would take student and family groups on travels (20+ travelers each trip--usually their first time flying ever!). They would have 1-2 checked bags per person for two weeks in Europe.

The ONLY time that a piece of luggage was not awaiting our arrival on the luggage carousel was due to a missed connection. Traveler still arrived to destination on time, but had to switch airlines to make it. The original airline carrier held the bag for 24 hours and crossed the Atlantic on the next day's flight and had it delivered to the hotel.

Bottom line: don't worry :) You should be fine.

Ditto on previous posts on medications--so glad that I had those with me in my carry on! And if you're traveling with others, cross pack. It might seem as if you're going overboard in preparation and planning for the worst, but you'll be thankful!

The only catch is that should your bag miss the connection in Houston (which, with an hour between flights, is highly unlikely), when it arrives you will have to go to the airport in Vancouver to pick it up. They will not be able to deliver it, as you must first bring it through customs yourself since that is the first port of entry into Canada. This happened to me on a flight into Edmonton. Good thing I wasn't leaving for a northbound trip until after my bag arrived.

Yes, you clear customs at your 1st Canadian city you land at, then move your bag over to the connection belt...just ensure that the baggage tag has your final destination on it.

Wow! I'm glad I read this thread! I'm flying from Philly >Toronto>Vancouver. I had no idea we had to grab our bags in Toronto. I just assumed (I know!) that our bags would go straight to Vancouver. Stupid question, do we collect them at the normal baggage claim area in Toronto or is there a special area for connecting flights to pick up the bags? Thanks!

Jim

JimS4210 - go look at this page. Put in arriving from US, departing to Canada and your airline(s), and it will tell you exactly what you need to do and where you need to go. Depending which airlines you may have to change terminals, so the info does vary - but yes, you go to CBSA then baggage claim, then generally put your bags onto another conveyor belt marked for connecting flights (before having to change terminals, so you don't need to take your suitcases on the train)

In very-low-hundreds of international flights we've had bags fail to arrive with us twice. Both came on the next flight, in both cases it was only one of our bags, and since they were both on our homeward legs it didn't really matter (if anything it made life easier as someone actually drove our bag to our house for us). Oddly enough both occasions were also the only times we flew BA, so they have a 100% record of screwing up our luggage somehow!

All the advice above is spot-on, especially the cross-packing (his & hers in each bag), essentials in carry-on, and checking the tags for final destination. Memorize the airport code, ESPECIALLY if you're flying somewhere with multiple airports (New York & London are especially brutal as it can take 2 hours to get between airports so if a bag goes astray the odds of it making your ongoing flight are basically zero - although with everything being computerized now there's almost no chance of this actually happening any more).

We also always ask when dropping bags about having to physically retrieve bags or not for security between connecting flights - even if you're used to how certain countries normally do things, individual airports may have different procedures for logistical reasons.

Edited by martincath

JimS4210 - go look at this page. Put in arriving from US, departing to Canada and your airline(s), and it will tell you exactly what you need to do and where you need to go. Depending which airlines you may have to change terminals, so the info does vary - but yes, you go to CBSA then baggage claim, then generally put your bags onto another conveyor belt marked for connecting flights (before having to change terminals, so you don't need to take your suitcases on the train)

In very-low-hundreds of international flights we've had bags fail to arrive with us twice. Both came on the next flight, in both cases it was only one of our bags, and since they were both on our homeward legs it didn't really matter (if anything it made life easier as someone actually drove our bag to our house for us). Oddly enough both occasions were also the only times we flew BA, so they have a 100% record of screwing up our luggage somehow!

All the advice above is spot-on, especially the cross-packing (his & hers in each bag), essentials in carry-on, and checking the tags for final destination. Memorize the airport code, ESPECIALLY if you're flying somewhere with multiple airports (New York & London are especially brutal as it can take 2 hours to get between airports so if a bag goes astray the odds of it making your ongoing flight are basically zero - although with everything being computerized now there's almost no chance of this actually happening any more).

We also always ask when dropping bags about having to physically retrieve bags or not for security between connecting flights - even if you're used to how certain countries normally do things, individual airports may have different procedures for logistical reasons.

Thanks for the reply and thanks for that link. Very helpful. The last time I flew to another country from the US I was a teenager (many years ago!) and didn't pay attention to such details. That's what my parents were for!

I didn't realize that I had to retrieve my bags and also didn't realize I had to go through security again. Good thing we have a layover of approx. 90 minutes. I assume that's plenty of time!

Jim

Thanks for the reply and thanks for that link. Very helpful. The last time I flew to another country from the US I was a teenager (many years ago!) and didn't pay attention to such details. That's what my parents were for!

I didn't realize that I had to retrieve my bags and also didn't realize I had to go through security again. Good thing we have a layover of approx. 90 minutes. I assume that's plenty of time!

Jim

90mins in YYZ should be fine - Canadian security doesn't force removal of shoes so tends to run a little quicker than US. Even if you have to change terminals there's a Disney-Monorail type train that shuttles back & forth every couple of minutes. You'll also get the benefit of skipping long queues if you make it known to the airline staff that you have a tight connection - my wife always gets really annoyed when we're waiting in line and people keep being hustled past because their flight is in the next 30 minutes...

Worst case (your inbound flight is horribly delayed and your miss your connection, or you make it but your bags don't) there are dozens of flights YYZ-YVR daily so you may only have to wait an hour for the next available seat/your bags to follow you.

Thanks again. And thanks for all the info that you and others provide on the Vancouver thread every day. We'll be spending a few days in Vancouver pre-cruise and you guys have offered up a wealth of information! It's much appreciated by me and many others, I'm sure.

Jim

Thanks again. And thanks for all the info that you and others provide on the Vancouver thread every day. We'll be spending a few days in Vancouver pre-cruise and you guys have offered up a wealth of information! It's much appreciated by me and many others, I'm sure.

Jim

Bring me some Amoroso rolls and we'll call it quits;-)

I have only had one instance with a delayed suitcase and it was on a domestic flight from Orlando to Indianapolis. It took 48 hours to get to me and luckily this was on my home leg of the flight. To this day I think it got left on the plane and continued on to Phoenix before it was sent back to Indy the shipped to my home 2 hours from the airport. If it had been sent to Indy on the next flight out of Orlando, I would have received it within 24 hours.

I have had a ton of delayed bags. A ton!

I fly from a city of about 275,000 and all we have are regional jets. If the plane is full, they need to calculate the luggage weight carefully. If the plane reaches its peak in weight, people go and luggage doesn't. The luggage does eventually follow me within a day or two. Thus, I always fly in two days early.

I have never lost a bag but I have had it missing for 5 days. Thankfully it was going home and not going on a trip. Twice going on a trip, it was delayed over night and delivered to my hotel the next day.

While I can only guess the reason why, but all luggage that is delivered to my house is done at around 11:30 pm or later. I think they only deliver it once a day and it is after all the flights have come in.

--------

It always helps to "cross pack". Put some of your clothes in his bag and vice versa. If your bag doesn't show up, you will still have some of your clothes on the trip.

Coming in a day before you sail will also help if there are any delays.

Edited by Coral