Gratuity adjustment

Gaprofitt

Hey All,

I have a question, hopefully I don't get ripped too badly.. :) Going on a cruise with my son who is 2.5. I am more of a casual cruiser and don't go to the dining rooms. Would it be unfair to adjust the tips and give more to my room steward? If so how much adjustment would be appropriate?

Thanks.

Hey All,

I have a question, hopefully I don't get ripped too badly.. :) Going on a cruise with my son who is 2.5. I am more of a casual cruiser and don't go to the dining rooms. Would it be unfair to adjust the tips and give more to my room steward? If so how much adjustment would be appropriate?

Thanks.

While the gratuity is described as being for the dining room server, I'll point out that it also covers breakfast & lunch, as those servers pull shifts in those locations, also. I'm figuring that you do plan to eat somewhere onboard?

IMO, it wouldn't be "fair" to pull the gratuity from them. I'm not sure you can specifically pull the tip from one position, as I believe, the gratuity is pooled and divided (by percentages) among the tipped positions. Taking away that tip will just decrease the numbers for the other positions.

Edited by Shmoo here

I don't think the OP is a cheapskate. He is merely trying to redirect money from one area to another. He may not understand that the tips are spread amongst many positions, but he doesn't deserve to be insulted.

That said, I think it is best to keep the tips as they are and if you feel your steward does an extraordinary job, just leave a $20 on the way out. Have fun!

Hey All,

Thanks.

You are free to modify the automatic gratuities, at your discretion.

Nobody on a message board can tell you how to tip. Once onboard, you will be able to decide how you feel you should handle the automatic gratuities, based on the level of service you receive or any other factor that can make you decide to either raise them, lower them, or even remove them completely.

From a fellow Georgian,

leave your tips and give those that deserve it a little extra.

That's what I do too.

Don't touch your regular tips

and give your three-man wait team in the MDR

a little something extra (the look of surprise on their faces is worth it)

-and the two-man team who cleans up your cabin..they get extra too.

After many cruises, I just consider the automatic tips as part of the cruise cost. If service is great (usually is), we just tip a little extra. I wish the cruise lines would just add the tip cost to cruise price and be done with it. I know folks defend the removing of tips but I just couldn't do it. I've worked as a service person and believe me, it's not easy.

Lib

Hey All,

Thanks.

yes it would. just because you don't go to the mdr doesn't meal waiters don't take care of you. there is wait staff and workers at the buffet that take care of you as well.

Isn't it amazing how folks only consider the visible crew!!

There are hundreds of others working behind the scenes

to make your cruise possible and enjoyable!!

Please consider them too.

Would it be unfair to adjust the tips and give more to my room steward?

YES

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey All,

Thanks.

Now hang on a moment here all... you can rip me I don't care lol, and I may be out in left field here but here goes... Please refer to http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

Anyway, the daily suggested gratuity of $5.50 to the Dining Room Services is for the head waiter, assistant waiter and maître d'. It does not apply to the Lido Buffet or other food locations.

If you took all prepaid gratuities off you will be given gratuities envelopes on the final night of the cruise which include your room steward, head waiter, assistant waiter and maître d' and other staff.

I might add here that eating in the MDR is really worth it in terms of service and food quality IMHO. And, you have the opportunity to meet some new people at your table. Maybe this cruise change your game plan and try it out.

On the other hand, you could prepay your gratuities and once on board speak to guest services to make adjustments as you see fit. :)

Best of luck!!!

Now hang on a moment here all... you can rip me I don't care lol, and I may be out in left field here but here goes... Please refer to http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

Anyway, the daily suggested gratuity of $5.50 to the Dining Room Services is for the head waiter, assistant waiter and maître d'. It does not apply to the Lido Buffet or other food locations.

If you took all prepaid gratuities off you will be given gratuities envelopes on the final night of the cruise which include your room steward, head waiter, assistant waiter and maître d' and other staff.

I might add here that eating in the MDR is really worth it in terms of service and food quality IMHO. And, you have the opportunity to meet some new people at your table. Maybe this cruise change your game plan and try it out.

On the other hand, you could prepay your gratuities and once on board speak to guest services to make adjustments as you see fit. :)

Best of luck!!!

Yes your server is who gets the money, however those same servers also serve you in the buffet so by taking away their tip you are removing the tip from all of their service to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by mommyto2kids

Best of luck!!!

those are the same people working the lido buffet and other food locations so if you are going to eat somewhere, then it still applies.

You will see the wait staff working in the Lido restaurant, Room Service, and yes you will even see them as the "Ask Me" in their red shirts at embarkation and debarkation.....

You may not want to dine in the dining room, but what you don't know is that the server for your table may be on the serving line at the buffets for breakfast and lunch, or bussing the tables at breakfast/lunch.

Be nice and just leave the tips as is and the crew (and the people they support back home) will be greatful.

Hey All,

Thanks.

Do what you feel is appropriate. I don't care what others say....IMO, the tipping onboard is completely crazy. Yes, in the MDR they earn their tips, although I'm not sure they even earn what they charge me for them sometimes.

It's crazy to assume your 2 year old is going to be requesting refils, more bread etc. You should be able to adjust your tips to whatever you feel like.

I'm not tipping someone in the buffet line who does nothing. They are being paid a wage from the cruiseline to clear the tables, not wait on me. I'm not tipping them to wait on me unless they actually do.

As far as your steward goes, the traditional amount charged should be sufficient....of course, if you have many requests and your steward has to do extra work for you or your child above his normal duties, then sure, an extra few bucks would be nice. But doing his standard duties should earn him his standard gratuity. don't let others on here bully you around. If i didn't eat the majority of my meals in MDR, I wouldn't leave tips for them. That makes no sense. You don't do it at home, why do it on the ship?

Do what you feel is appropriate. I don't care what others say....IMO, the tipping onboard is completely crazy. Yes, in the MDR they earn their tips, although I'm not sure they even earn what they charge me for them sometimes.

It's crazy to assume your 2 year old is going to be requesting refils, more bread etc. You should be able to adjust your tips to whatever you feel like.

I'm not tipping someone in the buffet line who does nothing. They are being paid a wage from the cruiseline to clear the tables, not wait on me. I'm not tipping them to wait on me unless they actually do.

As far as your steward goes, the traditional amount charged should be sufficient....of course, if you have many requests and your steward has to do extra work for you or your child above his normal duties, then sure, an extra few bucks would be nice. But doing his standard duties should earn him his standard gratuity. don't let others on here bully you around. If i didn't eat the majority of my meals in MDR, I wouldn't leave tips for them. That makes no sense. You don't do it at home, why do it on the ship?

I agree with this!

Do as you see fit with your money. Its no concern of yours or anyone else what carnival decides to pay its employees or which areas they work in additional to tipping areas.

If you dont use MDR you dont need to tip staff who have not served you for that MDR service.

If the choice you want to make with your tips is available then do it if or when you see fit , if it was so unfair then it wouldnt be available or allowed.

I believe gratuities should be included in the ticket price or compulsory pre paid, but as its not then it is just as unfair to advertise a cruise price to customers that is not the true price.

I am sure there are many Families who remove tips for their young children completely, again no concern of mine as its a "Choice" given to you by the company! If it was going to impact on the employees that much the choice would not be there.

Hey All,

Thanks.

Sure. Just figure it's $2 per meal per person for your service meals in the MDR. Just calculate and too accordingly.

It's your tips, and you can deflect it any way you like

You will see the wait staff working in the Lido restaurant, Room Service, and yes you will even see them as the "Ask Me" in their red shirts at embarkation and debarkation.....

You may not want to dine in the dining room, but what you don't know is that the server for your table may be on the serving line at the buffets for breakfast and lunch, or bussing the tables at breakfast/lunch.

Be nice and just leave the tips as is and the crew (and the people they support back home) will be greatful.

OK, I stand corrected. Hadn't thought of that. :D We always do prepaid ourselves. But that didn't seem to suit the OP's original question which I got wrong I guess. Happy cruising to all!

While the gratuity is described as being for the dining room server, I'll point out that it also covers breakfast & lunch, as those servers pull shifts in those locations, also. I'm figuring that you do plan to eat somewhere onboard?

IMO, it wouldn't be "fair" to pull the gratuity from them. I'm not sure you can specifically pull the tip from one position, as I believe, the gratuity is pooled and divided (by percentages) among the tipped positions. Taking away that tip will just decrease the numbers for the other positions.

To the bolded: you can definitely do this. We had a horrible, horrible room steward once who called my young nephew a rude name, started a shouting match in the hallway with the people two doors down from us, and was basically such a snarly and aggressive jerk that the Hotel Manager had him reassigned on the final day of the cruise because so many people had complained.

We were able to remove his tips and his tips alone, leaving the assistant steward's tip in place. We simply asked Guest Services to remove the tips for this one individual and reallocate those funds to our dining room team, who were outstanding. No problem at all. We specifically let Guest Services know that we would handle the single night's tip for the newly assigned steward in cash to make the reallocation of funds as simple as possible.

Should you reduce/remove tips for the scenario in the OP? I wouldn't. I'm just clarifying that it's actually quite simple to remove/reallocate gratuities among your tipping pool by visiting Guest Services.

How the heck are you going to tip the buffet people?

Are you going to give $1 per person for each omlette you get.

$1 PP for every beverage refill.

Last of all $1 PP to the one who cleans the table.

Now repeat that for lunch.

How about the pizza guy.

With so many people that we interact with at the self service buffet

the opt-outers will be carrying around quarters and dimes.

PS; the sandwich guy and the fish and chips guy too.