Why isn't Breakaway Docked?

Based on your account, I'm far more shocked at how thoroughly unprepared the passengers were for such an event. Holy moly!

Do you really believe this? Aren't you being a tad dramatic? Or are you the same person who packed their medication in their checked baggage? :rolleyes:

I can't comment on the other passengers, but we waited until what we thought would be the last possible moment. The captain had announced that we had pulled into port, the ship was in the process of getting its paperwork cleared, and that we would begin disembarking momentarily.

I'm not being dramatic at all with regard to my observations. With the exception of a few passengers, nearly everyone was following the few instructions we received from the crew. Unfortunately, these instructions resulted in a massive bottleneck at all points of egress. I fail to see how that's not a dangerous situation for all.

Strange. Did she make a hard left turn? She seemed to be at 90 degrees to the red freighter now she is parallel

Just following the channel.

Just out of curiosity -- why didn't people just go back to their rooms and wait it out? If they tried to kick you out of your room, I would have just said "I'll leave the room as soon as the ship has cleared customs."

Why wait in the public areas?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, returning to the rooms was impossible. Within minutes of exiting the elevator, we were all packed like sardines in the common area and the elevators were inaccessible due to the crowds.

Not many people on balconies or on deck. Must be at dinner :-)

Extreme wind from the NorthWest also. Keep in mind the river temps are only in the 50s F

How did I quote and reply to my own thread??

With all the wind, the waters do look pretty calm, don't they?

Geez. I've been up since 5:30 this morning watching BA.

Good night all.

Edited by meatball_nyc

Not true. I was on the ship also and I just did what was asked. Please wait in your room not in the public areas. They announced the problem long before anyone should have been heading to the gangway.

Not sure where you were on the ship, but we waited until we were instructed to move to the gangway. We also left our luggage in our room, went to the restaurant for a relaxing breakfast, and had no intention of bringing our bags downstairs until the last minute. We didn't bring our bags downstairs until the announcements instructed us to do so.

Don't think that a late docking is a serious emergency. How would you know how the crew would act in the case of a fire or flooding? It's purely conjecture on your part.

It's shameful that fist fights nearly broke out. Perhaps the disorder is caused by the pax.

No, a late docking is by no means an emergency. What is disturbing is that the only instructions given to the passengers were to come to the theatre on deck 7 to disembark. What should have happened is to give instructions to wait in cabins until we were called, and then to call passengers down to the gangway in a specific order.

The crew's inability to direct passengers in an orderly manner during what should have been a fairly simple non-event demonstrates clear lack of emergency protocols as these should have kicked in automatically to direct passengers in a clear manner.

For the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.

We'll resume our vigil when the Breakaway arrives in Bermuda on Wednesday Morning, 6:30am our time. Let's see if she'll be able to dock on her own, or will she require the help of the tug, Faithful.

So true what you said Carol, that's exactly what I did.Went to the buffet for a bite to eat, and back to my cabin to wait, as instructed.

yep. even not being on the ship today, I heard the instructions. too bad other's didn't.

hope you had a wonderful time :)

Edited by Traveller20074

Selfish question: Did anyone on this sailing book the motorcoach service to Framingham or Braintree, MA? I'd like to know if the buses waited for everyone to disembark. I plan to use this service to get to & from Breakaway in October and it would make me feel much better to know that if something like this happened to me, the bus service would accommodate the schedule change.

I hope everyone got home safe and without too many additional snafus!

Selfish question: Did anyone on this sailing book the motorcoach service to Framingham or Braintree, MA? I'd like to know if the buses waited for everyone to disembark. I plan to use this service to get to & from Breakaway in October and it would make me feel much better to know that if something like this happened to me, the bus service would accommodate the schedule change.

I hope everyone got home safe and without too many additional snafus!

You might want ask this on the ports of call boards. More people would see your post.

Kidos to the passengers who were interviewed on 1010 Wins. They thought the unruly passengers were ridiculous and had these passengers good attitudes about the whole thing. Just compared it to a traffic jam.