Why isn't Breakaway Docked?

Glad she's well under way. Feel bad for passengers who missed flights and the crew that had to deal with angry passengers. I've seen tempers flare, people cutting line (sometimes unintentionally) mixed with people anxious to get off the ship to make their flights ignoring announcements during a short delay let alone a long one like this.

Btw. The NY Daily News is a tabloid that thrives on sensationalism. Of course they will seek out the most dramatic quotes like fly to poop ... with headlines in big gianormous block letters like

"Hide the Weiner"

"Hottie in Hot Seat"

"You can't do anything without the f---ing money"

New York Times and Wall Street Journal they are not :D

The delayed docking agitated many of the more than 4,500 passengers aboard the cruise liner leading to shouting matches and pushing and shoving, according to other passengers. The crews tried to calm them down by offering breakfast and bottled water as the ship was tugged.

A passenger also complained that the disembarkation was disorganized.

http://gantdaily.com/2014/05/04/propulsion-malfunction-delays-cruise-ship-docking-in-nyc-pier/

I have posted a bunch of the media I shot during the Sunday morning chaos here on my Google Drive Folder:

It was shot entirely with my 1 week old Google Glass.

I will post a ton more video and pictures in my review of the cruise coming soon.

NCL wasn't well prepared for the exiting of probably 1/2 the ship when we were finally able to dock.

They did make plenty of announcements.

They did the best they could with the situation at hand.

Does anybody know what a CODE Alpha is for NCL?

Just as the line started moving to get off the ship, an announcement was made about a CODE Alpha on Deck 7 Port by the shuffleboard game.

Within seconds I saw 3-5 Officers pushing through the crowds in that direction.

I have posted a bunch of the media I shot during the Sunday morning chaos here on my Google Drive Folder:

Just as the line started moving to get off the ship, an announcement was made about a CODE Alpha on Deck 7 Port by the shuffleboard game.

Looking forward to your review! Please post a link to it here when it's started.

I believe that a Code Alpha is a medical emergency.

Hubby is one of many 9-11 heroes.

Completely of topic, but I'd love to meet your husband on a cruise one day. I am an air traffic controller and worked in a small Canadian town that doubled in population that day with international flights.

I'd love to buy him a drink.

NCL wasn't well prepared for the exiting of probably 1/2 the ship when we were finally able to dock.

i dont think NCL is at fault. it is the impatience people who wants to be the first off the boat. Crowd control can be a impossible task with people who dont like to wait. I see it every day riding NYC subways during rush hour, as the train is moving people try to force their way to the doors before the train pulls into the station and comes to a complete stop

Edited by shof515

I was on the breakaway yesterday when the ship lost use of propeller and steering.

As far as the complaints that no information was conveyed- I disagree.

#1. The captain came on the intercom and explained exactly what was going on-- a propulsion, and steering problem. Due to the strong currents in the Hudson and the wind He would not risk docking for safety reasons. The Captain stated that a tug would come to assist with docking. Estimated time to be around 10 am.

#2. There were frequent updates as to what the situation was and the plan By the Captain.

#3. They stated in other announcements the various areas that opened up for passengers to go to and wait if they CHOOSE.

#4. Announcements were made regarding additional restaurants opening so passengers can go eat.

#5.Passenger cabins were reopened so you could go there and wait for additional updates.

#6.Repeatedly they announced NOT TO GO TO THE GANGWAY, and that further instruction would come when we are cleared.

#7 Yes even the cruise director came on several time and gave updates to what areas were open to wait FOR FURTHER DIRECTIONS. AND NOT TO PROCEED TO THE GANGWAY.

#8 Disembarkation process began with self walk off etc. Announcements where made several times as to what color tag was being called and where to proceed. And again everyone was told not to go to the gangway unless your color tag was announced.

As far as the disorderly disembarkation. Many passengers contributed to this. Some people will do what they want, when they want and disregard the announcements made by the Captain who is charge of the ship.

This was my 1st time on the breakaway. I did not feel stuck nor did I ever feel the staff were not trained properly. the chaos , confusion etc that has been described in the posts -- is because people do not follow directions. The ship holds over 3000 cruisers. Since the first announcement around 830 am, everyone knew it would be at least an hour and a half till we got docked .And figure another 1/2 hour to hour for clearance. There were many, many announcements, and updates made. So for those who blocked corridors, started arguments, and disregarded direction from the announcements --well I guess, you just can't fix stupid.

Doesn't matter what ship or whether it is delayed or not, there are always people blocking the exit, sitting on the stairs, jumping lines, ignoring the color or number being called and making everything SEEM disorganized.

I can understand people getting a little panicky when they realize they might miss their bus and/or flight, but don't they realize pushing and shoving is dangerous? It doesn't surprise me that there was a Code Alpha.

Agree with tumblew467. We were also on breakaway yesterday and felt very informed. My guess is these were the same passengers that cut in line at buffet and crammed into elevators even though they were full! Some people just think they are more important then others! Hopefully they will jump ship and go to another cruise line. The breakaway is an amazing ship. Already looking to book again!

The only people who felt they were in "danger" or "frightened" were those who did not follow the instructions that were repeatedly announced on the ship. Let's face it folks...have you ever flown on an airplane only to sit on a runway for 2 or 3 hours? I'll take sitting in a cabin with a view of NYC, bathroom, bed, television any day over a runway delay!!!

This incident was handled extremely well by the captain and his crew. We had a fantastic cruise with calm seas throughout the 7 days. Can't wait to sail The Breakaway again.

I think the Code Alpha must have been some kind of medical emergency. After I exited the ship and was making my way through the customs hall, I heard several folks saying there was an ambulance on the way. It showed up 20 minutes or so later when I was waiting for a taxi.

I think the one mistake NCL really made was thinking that their regular disembarkation system was going to work under those circumstances. I had rescheduled my bus departure twice and in retrospect, wish I had pushed it back even later so I didn't have to join the giant crush of people trying to get off when they first announced that we were cleared. I was quite happy and comfy in the Studio Lounge and other public areas and really could have hung out for awhile longer.

Completely of topic, but I'd love to meet your husband on a cruise one day. I am an air traffic controller and worked in a small Canadian town that doubled in population that day with international flights.

I'd love to buy him a drink.

I'm sure he'd love to meet with you too, and also buy you a drink! Thank you, that was very nice of you to say. I can't imagine the stress you also had that day, and thank you for all that you did. :)

No, a late docking is by no means an emergency. What is disturbing is that the only instructions given to the passengers were to come to the theatre on deck 7 to disembark. What should have happened is to give instructions to wait in cabins until we were called, and then to call passengers down to the gangway in a specific order.

When our Caribbean Princess lost two engines...we were told that the ship would arrive at the pier around 10am and all plans were to arrange transportation for those with early flights/transportation.

We were allowed to stay in our cabins till noon and all dining was available.

We were off the ship by 1pm.

I think the Code Alpha must have been some kind of medical emergency. After I exited the ship and was making my way through the customs hall, I heard several folks saying there was an ambulance on the way. It showed up 20 minutes or so later when I was waiting for a taxi.

I think the one mistake NCL really made was thinking that their regular disembarkation system was going to work under those circumstances. I had rescheduled my bus departure twice and in retrospect, wish I had pushed it back even later so I didn't have to join the giant crush of people trying to get off when they first announced that we were cleared. I was quite happy and comfy in the Studio Lounge and other public areas and really could have hung out for awhile longer.

Hey noodle,

The other thing that happened that I forgot was.. When we were at customs desk, an alarm started to go off. I asked the customs officer what that was and he said the fire alarm. As we left customs and entered the wide hallway that leads you out of the port it started to flood. the fire alarms were going off as well. The hallway on one side had a tarp hung up like a make shift wall. under it tons of water was pouring out onto to the floor. I mean pouring like a fire hydrant just opened up. Passengers were walking through it on their toes trying not to get wet. The bottom of their luggage was getting wet.There was several inches of water starting to pool in that area.

Some one said a kid pulled the fire alarm. We followed several passengers out the side of the building. I don't think we were to go that way. But a port worker let us out a gate onto the street.

It was shot entirely with my 1 week old Google Glass.

I will post a ton more video and pictures in my review of the cruise coming soon.

They did make plenty of announcements.

They did the best they could with the situation at hand.

On the news a man explained his father was on the ship and he had suffered a heart attack. The ambulance was for him.

Some one said a kid pulled the fire alarm. We followed several passengers out the side of the building. I don't think we were to go that way. But a port worker let us out a gate onto the street.

I realize this hardly matters, but pulling a fire alarm station does not activate a sprinkler system in a building causing water to gush everywhere. It does in Hollywood, but not in reality. More likely there was some sort of plumbing failure either related to the sprinkler system or plumbing system.

On the news a man explained his father was on the ship and he had suffered a heart attack. The ambulance was for him.

Yes. I heard that too. His father had passed away 3 days earlier but they kept him on the ship in the medical center until returning to NYC.

Wait.... What? They kept him onboard?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Well they certainly weren't going to throw him over!! Coast guard lands for medical emergencies ... once you're dead, it's no longer an emergency. As horrible as that sounds ... :-(

Edited by SissasMomE

Well they certainly weren't going to throw him over!! Coast guard lands for medical emergencies ... once you're dead, it's no longer an emergency. As horrible as that sounds ... :-(

We have the same procedure in the aviation industry. I've had many pilots declare medical emergencies and just as they get close to the airport, cancel the emergency and continue on to their original destination.