Why isn't Breakaway Docked?

Hopefully things will be worked out soon and everyone waiting to disembark and embark will be done smoothly.

Safe Sailing Breakaway!!

9 weeks until our turn :)

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

No. One engine. This one appears to be the Azipod propulsion. Not like a normal car.

Engines are the power plant. The Azipods are electric propulsion units that take power from the engine and also provide a rudder type function as they rotate. If it's stuck in one direction then that could mean underwater physical or electronically control..

Hopefully the problems will be repaired at NYC. Propulsion is extremely important especially navigating through the various narrow channels on approach to Bermuda & Dockyard.

Wow, let's hope that they can clear the ship quickly & begin Express Disembarkation or Self Walk-Off, if not already - as it will typically take another hour for the rest of color tags, including Priority to be called.

CCL's Splendor is the other ship docked this morning with 3,500 pax usually and there's going a traffic jam in front & across 12th Avenue as those disembarking rush out for transportation. Both ship's webcam pointed at 12th Avenue showing a lot of traffic in front of the cruise terminal, which is normal but on the heavy side for a Sunday - there's a NYC Bike Tour going on but not supposed to affect the pier area.

Even those flying home with 12:30 or 1:00 PM & later flights will have to hustle and rush to get to the airports - I feel for those still onboard & their feeling of helplessness. Even with travel interruption insurance these days, rebooking flights & making later trains can be a problem as there are fewer late day departures from area airports and they are usually 90-95% full already with the load factors. Yikes.

BA had minor issues in mid-March and it was resolved by the time we sailed - if I recall, it was propulsion-related (seals/valves ??) that resulted in slower speed.

Edited by mking8288

Wow, let's hope that they can clear the ship quickly & begin Express Disembarkation or Self Walk-Off, if not already - as it will typically take another hour for the rest of color tags, including Priority to be called.

CCL's Splendor is the other ship docked this morning with 3,500 pax usually and there's going a traffic jam in front & across 12th Avenue as those disembarking rush out for transportation. Both ship's webcam pointed at 12th Avenue showing a lot of traffic in front of the cruise terminal, which is normal but on the heavy side for a Sunday - there's a NYC Bike Tour going on but not supposed to affect the pier area.

Even those flying home with 12:30 or 1:00 PM & later flights will have to hustle and rush to get to the airports - I feel for those still onboard & their feeling of helplessness. Even with travel interruption insurance these days, rebooking flights & making later trains can be a problem as there are fewer late day departures from area airports and they are usually 90-95% full already with the load factors. Yikes.

BA had minor issues in mid-March and it was resolved by the time we sailed - if I recall, it was propulsion-related (seals/valves ??) that resulted in slower speed.

People are reporting being off already :)

It was an issue with one of her DG's. It had nothing to so with her propulsion system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cam exhaust (whatever that is) is what the Chief Engineer explained during the Q&A on the last sea day when we were on as to the problem in March.

Will go and check your Roll Call after this - but hoping even with delay into port (yikes - I can`t imagine those folks with flights to catch home) - you all had a good time.

I`m booked on the May 25th departure. My DH is a boat mechanic - last time a NCL cruise had probs - I had to shut him up when we had engine probs LOL. We had to miss one of the islands on the trip - to slowly make it back to Miami port. Never ran out of food - free wine with meals:) - but on that ship - it got scary with passengers having rallies.

It was an issue with one of her DG's. It had nothing to so with her propulsion system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What are DG's?

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Jfried thanks for the video. Hard for me to understand or hear what the Captain was saying. At least everyone looked calm.

Barnacle Boy, do you think they will have this repaired by this evening?

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

No. One engine. This one appears to be the Azipod propulsion. Not like a normal car.

Engines are the power plant. The Azipods are electric propulsion units that take power from the engine and also provide a rudder type function as they rotate. If it's stuck in one direction then that could mean underwater physical or electronically control..

It could be thruster control problems instead of Azipod

It could be thruster control problems instead of Azipod

On the video that’s definitely Breakaway’s Captain Hakan Svedung saying “we have a technical problem with one of our azipods, the port azipod, the azipod on the left side, and the azipod is our propulsion and also the steering of the ship.” Svedung is a very serious, competent mariner with a good reputation amongst his officers, and it sounds like he made the right choice in not attempting to dock with only one pod.

Barnacle Boy, do you think they will have this repaired by this evening?

I’m not a marine engineer by any means, I’m primarily interested in maritime regulation and litigation. If NCL says that she'll be up and running by this afternoon, I’ll take their word for it. Where’s chengkp75 when you need him? :D

I'm sure this will do wonders for the Ship Ratings on CC :rolleyes:

I have to believe it'll be fixed quickly, but I'm skeptical the ship will sail out on time. There is a ton of stuff to unload and load. Losing a few hours is a pretty big problem for that.