Molecular Bar Complaint

surf555

George, on Reflection would surprise us with a different virgin drink every time We stopped by. He and we had fun experimenting with different flavor combos. Hope to see you soon George.

Guess it just depends who the bartender is and how busy. On the Equinox two years ago we had Gareth who was fantastic. My husband and I ordered a few (many) drinks from the Molecular bar on our cruise. We purchased the premium package (no 1-2-3 go free packages then) and my daughter had the premium non-alcoholic package. Gareth would make our drinks and then a similar one without booze for my daughter. We didn't expect him to leave his bar or make anything special, just mashed fruit and some soda water, and some of the yummy flavoured foam that is used. But, the bar was not busy when we would go.

The key to this is knowing in advance and for that I thank the OP. We clearly had a narrow escape last year when drinking at the molecular bar as my wife and I ordered off the menu and our son said he did not fancy the soda I was going to buy him. Consequently we didn't have the apparently inevitable no to the soda , rudely or pleasantly delivered.

Will know in future to organise any non alcoholic on the way there as I am not sure I can pass up the chance to try a few more off the menu but am not going to drink there on my own!

Maybe X could make it a little bit clearer in all their marketing for that particular bar to save their passengers having to rely on message boards or risk them being upset by being turned down a the bar itself.

We were on the same cruise and had the same bartenders as you every night. The girl, whose name I won't mention, couldn't have been better or more personable. She's a peach. One particularly nasty gentleman raised his voice at her until she eventually walked to a different bar and got him a glass of white wine. As far as lack of service, I don't know the specific situation of what happened to you, so I can't comment. I do know that the bartenders at the MB are greatly overworked, so maybe that figures into it.

Try reading the OP's post more carefully. He did say that the bartender explained that she could only make drinks that were on the menu. As to walking away, if she was busy, what is she supposed to do? Stand around while the OP and his wife figured out what they were going to do? What about her other customers? Were they supposed to be ignored?

If you read the OP more carefully, you would have also seen the statement: "Let me add that the bar was not busy at the time. "

Does anyone have a link to one of the Menus for the MBar? Even some pictures of the menu would be great for those of whom have not had the opportunity to see one. Thanks! One that matched up to the new drink packages would be great.

It does sound like the bartender was a bit rude and abrupt which is inappropriate. But he Molecular bar is a special place and I understand their not wanting to veer off the menu.

I see it is having a special menu open only during limited times (seems 5pm is opening time), so that's what they serve. I can't go to McDonald's and expect a Whopper with Cheese....even if I'm in a mall food court and the 2 restaurants are side-by-side. Nor can I order a Pepsi from McDonald's even if Arby's who serves Pepsi is next door. McDonald's only serves Coke.

I'd also liken it to asking a chef in a 5 star restaurant to prepare a dish differently than he prepares it. Who am I to tell a world class chef how to run his craft and artistic abilities. Instead go to a chain restaurant (i.e. go to Martini Bar).

That said, they do sometimes veer off menu, typically as you spend more time there and build a rapport with the servers, and especially if you go at off-peak times.

Also, I'd have no issue and think the bar SHOULD allow drinks to be prepared exactly as on the recipe card, but leave out alcohol (and not substitute) but most (if not all) drinks have multiple layers of alcohol and would end up as something they are not, and end up as a glass half filled.

My favorite is the Lucky Cat, with the macerated raspberries. However my last night on Eclipse this year, they had run out of Raspberries. I suggested substitute strawberries, they did (I had been there at least 2 times a day for all 13 nights of the cruise...!). It was delicious. The bartender said "we can't call it a Lucky Cat now, so we will call it a Lucky Dog but don't tell Junior..." So I do believe there may actually be some requirement not to veer from the recipes given his comment about not telling Junior....

But in no circumstance will they make a gin and tonic or pour a soda. I did get a glass of ice water though, but no Evian.

And can anyone explain why there is no indication of Molecular Bar on any of the ship maps or signage on board.....it's actually signed on Eclipse as "Galleria Tastings". Last year I had a hard time finding it and not even staff in the stores nearby knew what Molecular Bar was.....I didn't discover it until my 10th night on a 13 night cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

I love the molecular bar. I went every night. No, it's not the best atmosphere but i love all the drinks and loved the bartenders! I think everyone gets really upset when they won't make them something not on the menu but they have to realize A. if they did it for you, they have to do it for everyone else. B. It's not the bartender who makes the rules. I saw a guy ask for a beer and she said she didn't have one. He was nice enough and left. She said she feels bad saying no but she has no choice. I'm even going on another solstice ship just because of this bar. lol

I seem to remember a response saying this was OK, but want to be sure...

If DH has premium and wants Molecular drink and I have classic package, is it acceptable for me to carry a standard type drink to Molecular Bar to enjoy with him?

Wondering if the bartenders get upset if non-molecular bar drinkers "hang out" at this bar if not drinking Molecular drinks.

Wasn't a problem on the Silhouette in January. We were a group of 4 with one non-drinker. That one would pick up something else from a different bar and join us either sitting at the bar or at one of the tables there. Loved the Molecular Bar!

I seem to remember a response saying this was OK, but want to be sure...

If DH has premium and wants Molecular drink and I have classic package, is it acceptable for me to carry a standard type drink to Molecular Bar to enjoy with him?

Wondering if the bartenders get upset if non-molecular bar drinkers "hang out" at this bar if not drinking Molecular drinks.

No problem, it's public space. However, be aware that seating can be very limited. If a potential customer can't find a sea they'll walk away. The bar tender loses income and the person who walks away will later complain on Cruise Critic about non patrons taking "their" seat.

If ginger mojitos are on the menu then I have to say that I agree with the OP, which means I disagree with most of the posts so far. Asking for a menu item minus the alcohol is still the same drink. I think the bartender should have accommodated them. I also think the bartender should do it for anyone else who asks for a menu item minus the alcohol.

Does anyone have a link to one of the Menus for the MBar? Even some pictures of the menu would be great for those of whom have not had the opportunity to see one. Thanks! One that matched up to the new drink packages would be great.

Here are some photos. ImageUploadedByForums1402258239.626971.jpg.e3bb65e4eb0ccb2ac0b6a87cf16a5fc4.jpg

We LOVE this bar and visit it each night when we are on the S-class ships. We appreciate the fact that our favorite drinks ALWAYS taste the same as the bartenders measure the ingredients precisely. The Martini Bar sure is fun, but the amount of alcohol has varied constantly in each drink that I've ordered. Everybody is different and will find their own favorite spot. :)

I do have to say that I have witnessed many guests requesting soda or beer at the Molecular Bar and the bartenders were always very nice and polite, guiding the guests to Cafe Al Bacio around the corner to get the drinks there... about half of those guests tried to argue about this. I do think Celebrity should put up a sign or some indication that only drinks from the menu can be served.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ImageUploadedByForums1402258197.798508.jpg.1a6aa3299656111f991912c9706f8848.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1402258208.228818.jpg.94682b2da722d3ba26f4ec6a12f4ba93.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1402258228.799089.jpg.3d5b6053596a6e9bdd0fd4ceb1bd176a.jpg

Honestly, the situation in the OP seems to me to be almost the same as going to the Martini Bar and ordering a virgin martini, or maybe asking for a vegan prime rib in the MDR. Sometimes you can't just leave the main ingredient out of a recipe.

We were on the Solstice May 23. I loved the Molecular Bar! In fact, the Ginger Mojito was my favorite! Hubby had the classic package, and he went to another nearby bar for his rum and coke. Our bartender had "special drinks" that were not on the menu! One thing I did notice is that they only had one or two bartenders, and they stayed very busy. There is no lack of bars on the ship!

We were on the Solstice May 23. I loved the Molecular Bar! In fact, the Ginger Mojito was my favorite! Hubby had the classic package, and he went to another nearby bar for his rum and coke. Our bartender had "special drinks" that were not on the menu! One thing I did notice is that they only had one or two bartenders, and they stayed very busy. There is no lack of bars on the ship!

We were on this sailing too. I agree, the bartenders stayed very busy on most nights. I think the reason why there was only one bartender was that the other was on a break. One night, it got so busy, they requested another person to help, so there were three. Either way, they worked hard and we tipped them well at the end.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If ginger mojitos are on the menu then I have to say that I agree with the OP, which means I disagree with most of the posts so far. Asking for a menu item minus the alcohol is still the same drink. I think the bartender should have accommodated them. I also think the bartender should do it for anyone else who asks for a menu item minus the alcohol.

Actually, if you ask for a ginger mojito without the alcohol it would not be the same drink.

At the Molecular Bar, a ginger mojito has Bacardi 8 rum and domaine de canton ginger liqueur as alcoholic ingredients. If you omit these, it wouldn't be a ginger mojito. It would be a glass full of sugar cane juice, lime and mint with some passion ginger foam on top.

As others have mentioned, the reason they can't omit ingredients or change ingredients is due to the trademark.

If you want a non alcoholic drink you can easily go to one of the other bars nearby. I had no problems doing this myself and then joining my husband at the molecular bar.

Edited by lovemylab

When we were on Eclipse last month, we were at the Molecular bar on the 2nd night, when a couple came up and sat at the 2 end bar stools. When asked what they would like to drink, he ordered '2 glasses of pinot grigio please'. He was very politely advised that they were a martini bar, and only served from their menu. At this point he became, IMHO, quite rude and said in a very loud voice 'well, you're a bar, and I want 2 glasses of pinot grigio'. Again, very politely he was told that they did not serve wine, at which point he interrupted and said 'well, where am I supposed to get a drink then?'

The reply was 'I'm so sorry sir, you can get wine from the Cafe just around the corner, or from the bar one deck down. At this point he said something I couldn't catch, huffed and puffed, and off he went.

I have to say that I appreciate this discussion. Thanks to the OP for bringing up this topic. I am one who never heard of molecular mixology in which the Molecular Bar apparently specializes.

I would probably feel a bit embarrassed if I went into the Molecular Bar not understanding the concept and ordered a glass of wine. One bar looks pretty much the same as the next to me.

I agree there should be some signage in the bar or information on the drink menu that explains the concept and that the bartender can only make the drinks specified on the menu. It must get old fast for the bartenders to have to keep saying the same thing over and over to disgruntled customers.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Molecular Bar on our next cruise!

Kathy