Dominican Republic

Toad

I am wondering about walking here as I try to do about 4 miles a day. Is this a safe place to walk? Are there interesting sights within that distance from the pier? If not, what excursions can you recommend?

And yes, I did post this question on the destinations board, but to no avail. Therefore I would appreciate your input.

DH and I have taken many land vacations in Mexico and the Caribbean and our least favorite of all was the Dominican Republic. We are pretty savvy travelers and safety conscious, but found DR to be kinda scary. We were with two other couples and we three gals took a taxi back to our condos after dinner one night while the guys walked back. I sat in the front seat and realized something was wrong with the driver - high on something. He drove past the gate to our condo community and I yelled at him to stop the car immediately. He kept driving, but eventually stopped. I told the gals to get out right now and I didn't give him any money. He finally drove on and we ended up walking back to the gate. I don't know where he was trying to take us, but I'm glad I didn't just sit there and not say anything.

We were in Samana last November on a Seabourn cruise and took an excursion called the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape. You take a ferry from the pier to a nearby private island that has a major hotel complex. The island is large and lots of places for walking along with fantastic white beaches and plenty of beach chairs (both in the sun and in the shade under palm trees for reading). This was Thanksgiving day, it might be more crowded if several large ships were in port. Here's pictures: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2013/12/08/the-cayo-levantado-beach-escape-in-samana-dominican-republic/

Another consideration for a walk is the port has a "Bridge to Nowhere" -- a long walking bridge to an island that was to be a restaurant/hotel that never got developed. It looked like a beautiful if hot walk; we'd probably only do it if we had a group of people along and carried a lot of cold water. This link is to an article from Canadian World Traveler and it has a photo of the bridge, as well as highlights of things to do in Samana: http://canadianworldtraveller.com/Destinations_&_Articles_Dominican%20Republic_Spring_2010.htm

DH and I have taken many land vacations in Mexico and the Caribbean and our least favorite of all was the Dominican Republic. We are pretty savvy travelers and safety conscious, but found DR to be kinda scary. We were with two other couples and we three gals took a taxi back to our condos after dinner one night while the guys walked back. I sat in the front seat and realized something was wrong with the driver - high on something. He drove past the gate to our condo community and I yelled at him to stop the car immediately. He kept driving, but eventually stopped. I told the gals to get out right now and I didn't give him any money. He finally drove on and we ended up walking back to the gate. I don't know where he was trying to take us, but I'm glad I didn't just sit there and not say anything.

Dominican Republic is a country.

Are you talking about Samana?

Santo Domingo?

Where is your condo?

We traveled a number of times to Santo Domingo and had great times there.

We also stopped there on Rotterdam VI on our Millenium Christmas/New Years cruises.

I think you need to be more specific about where in the DR you're porting. Also, your age and how vulnerable you may look to villains. My wife and I spent a week last year in a resort in Puerto Plata on the north coast and I would not have liked wandering about in town on my own, despite the fact that I speak reasonably good Spanish and have been all over the world without incident. BUT--I have now reached an age where I am the obvious target. The DR is an extremely poor country, with an underpaid and corrupt police force. You do the math.

Thanks so much for all of your valuable information. DH and I are in our 50's and we will be docking there in November on the Noordam. Some people say the zip line tour is fun and I think it is a ships tour, however I am not certain of what to do at this point. Thanks again,

Thanks so much for all of your valuable information. DH and I are in our 50's and we will be docking there in November on the Noordam. Some people say the zip line tour is fun and I think it is a ships tour, however I am not certain of what to do at this point. Thanks again,

Is 'there', Samana?

I don't know Noordam's upcoming Caribbean itinerary.

Thanks.

Unless you plan on staying at or visiting a 5-star resort for the day, forget about the Dominican Republic. It is mostly dirty, run down and very poor. A good day to stay onboard and enjoy peace and quiet on the ship. :D

Edited by taxmantoo

I have been to the DR twice in the last year on vacation. Both times staying in condos and both times walking just about everywhere. It is a beautiful place. Poor yes, but if you are polite in the restaurants and shops, grocery store etc. you will find nothing but smiles. Try it for more than a few hours before you run the place down!

Edited by Theodorable

Yes, you are right, it's a third world country with third world problems.

That being said when we stayed at a resort in Puerto plata we rented a car and saw the sights. I never felt afraid. Seeing the family on a scooter with Dad driving, son on the front and mom and daughter side saddle cutting veggies and making lunch was a sight to see.

Walking up the beach every day to the edge of the resorts past the guy in the chair with a rifle was an eye opener but we went past and waded through the estuary to get to the other side. Not many did but it was so worth while to wave at almond guy raking the beach and mama as we passed. Every day almond guy would rake the beach in hopes someone would come and sit at the little plastic table they had set up. We did. In their run down beach shack they made us chicken and rice and served up beer so cold I could scrape the frost from the bottle. It was so special and so good. They took care of us and showed us pictures of their grandchildren and in their kind way showed us who the Dominicans are. Too bad so few if any made that 500 metre walk past the resorts. It was the best chicken and rice I have ever eaten.

I know that's not something that you would find on a day trip on a cruise but there are bright spots.

Yes, you are right, it's a third world country with third world problems.

That being said when we stayed at a resort in Puerto plata we rented a car and saw the sights. I never felt afraid. Seeing the family on a scooter with Dad driving, son on the front and mom and daughter side saddle cutting veggies and making lunch was a sight to see.

Walking up the beach every day to the edge of the resorts past the guy in the chair with a rifle was an eye opener but we went past and waded through the estuary to get to the other side. Not many did but it was so worth while to wave at almond guy raking the beach and mama as we passed. Every day almond guy would rake the beach in hopes someone would come and sit at the little plastic table they had set up. We did. In their run down beach shack they made us chicken and rice and served up beer so cold I could scrape the frost from the bottle. It was so special and so good. They took care of us and showed us pictures of their grandchildren and in their kind way showed us who the Dominicans are. Too bad so few if any made that 500 metre walk past the resorts. It was the best chicken and rice I have ever eaten.

I know that's not something that you would find on a day trip on a cruise but there are bright spots.

Thank you for being open to new experiences, and thank you for sharing that story. You brought tears to my eyes.

Even on a cruise visit there are some beautiful places in Samana -- these photos are from Cayo Levantado -- it's a beautiful, relaxing island.

IMG_7798.jpg.3cf228741ac61bd0863ca0363346cf02.jpg

IMG_7808.jpg.cedbbf5825084b90f112bb53a6c6a04e.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg.c8e305b0d1486257400bcbbb52691780.jpg

We also did a tour with Terry--a wonderful experience. We were able to visit a school, meet the children and present the teacher with school supplies, we met a local family nd had a fabulous lunch on a beautiful beach.

I much prefer this type of experience to the fake cruise port beaches.

We also did a tour with Terry--a wonderful experience. We were able to visit a school, meet the children and present the teacher with school supplies, we met a local family nd had a fabulous lunch on a beautiful beach.

I much prefer this type of experience to the fake cruise port beaches.

Agree with you MountainMare; the kind of experience you describe sounds wonderful!

The point I think that we are both trying to make is to don't just write off a port call in Samana, Dominican Republic, even though you may need to take an excursion or do some other advance planning, as you would in other less-developed cruise ports.

Even on a cruise visit there are some beautiful places in Samana -- these photos are from Cayo Levantado -- it's a beautiful, relaxing island.

How did you get to this beach, on an excursion, or on your own by ferry? Looks beautiful.