Princess Beverage Package Evaluator

kelly94942

This brings up a question I had....if both my husband & I get the pkg, can he take both cruise cards up to bar and order both of our drinks? Often, by the pool, we don't feel like waiting for a server to come by and one of us runs to the bar to buy drinks. Or do we both have to go or go one at a time? In other words, does the bartender/server have to run two separate tickets? Just curious, we'll still probably get the package.

They will give you as many drinks as you have cards for.

I called them to order the package as I didn't see any way to do it online. So far it doesn't show up anywhere in my documents, so maybe a more knowledgeable person here can tell me if it should be showing up. Otherwise we will just bring a copy of our credit card statement.

You have the option of buying a bottle of wine at 40% off (if under $100) but you pay nothing if you order it by the glass. My DH and I ended up drinking an entire bottle during a few dinners on Celebrity and we just ordered it by the glass. The wine steward just kept refilling our glasses and voila! the bottle was finished.

They will give you as many drinks as you have cards for.

Thanks for the reply! I was just curious how it worked in practical terms.

I think the discount on the wine bottles, in addition to the individual drinks, also makes it a good deal for us. We usually get a bottle with dinner almost every night (hey, it's a vacation, right?) so that's considerable savings (of @ $12-20) that cuts into the daily cost of $49. Plus, we can try some pricier wines without the guilt.

Thanks for the reply! I was just curious how it worked in practical terms.

I think the discount on the wine bottles, in addition to the individual drinks, also makes it a good deal for us. We usually get a bottle with dinner almost every night (hey, it's a vacation, right?) so that's considerable savings (of @ $12-20) that cuts into the daily cost of $49. Plus, we can try some pricier wines without the guilt.

My husband and I definitely got our money's worth from it. Between lattes in the morning, a few bottles of water throughout the day (loved that they included sparkling water too), a few bevvies in the afternoon and then wine at dinner, it was totally worth it. It was nice to not have a nasty surprise (aka bar bill) at the end of the week! And, we even had a few bartenders who DID let us order more than one drink at a time - i.e. if we were taking a glass of wine back to the cabin at night, we could get a bottle of water to take with us.

I am really thinking to buy the package for myself, especially if I don't have to purchase one for my husband. I really like the idea of being able to buy and sample drinks I wouldn't normally order to see what I might like. I wouldn't tend to order something new in the off chance I might not like it, but I think this would give me just a little more freedom.

My husband wouldn't drink many at all, he might have a couple beers the entire trip, so not worth it for him at all.

You have the option of buying a bottle of wine at 40% off (if under $100) but you pay nothing if you order it by the glass. My DH and I ended up drinking an entire bottle during a few dinners on Celebrity and we just ordered it by the glass. The wine steward just kept refilling our glasses and voila! the bottle was finished.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You can either pay for a bottle of wine at a 40% discount with the Beverage Package or get the same wine by the glass without cost, if you have the Beverage Package. Is that correct? If that is the case, why on earth would anyone with the Beverage Package buy a bottle of wine?

Edited by lone_stranger

The reason you would buy wine by the bottle with the package is simple. Many of the better wines are not available by the glass only by the bottle. Therefore you can get the higher priced wines with a 40% discount as long as the bottle is less than $100 and have the wine you want with your food.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You can either pay for a bottle of wine at a 40% discount with the Beverage Package or get the same wine by the glass without cost, if you have the Beverage Package. Is that correct? If that is the case, why on earth would anyone with the Beverage Package buy a bottle of wine?

You can share a bottle with others who don't have the package.

Kelly and all thanks for the wonderful information. I have read this entire post and still have a question. I know the drinks package doesn't "work" on the mini bar set up in the room or room service. are the large bottles of water in the room consider part of room service or the mini bar? would the package "work" for those? If not where in on the ship to I find the large bottles. I'm usually lugging water in on port days and it would be nice to take a break from pack mule duties.

thanks!

Kelly and all thanks for the wonderful information. I have read this entire post and still have a question. I know the drinks package doesn't "work" on the mini bar set up in the room or room service. are the large bottles of water in the room consider part of room service or the mini bar? would the package "work" for those? If not where in on the ship to I find the large bottles. I'm usually lugging water in on port days and it would be nice to take a break from pack mule duties.

thanks!

I'm guessing they're considered part of room service since there's no way for anyone to check your cruise card to make sure you have the AIBP. However, you can get bottles of water at any bar on the ship: I'm always ordering the biggies out by the pool and I've gotten the smaller ones at the indoor bars.

The reason you would buy wine by the bottle with the package is simple. Many of the better wines are not available by the glass only by the bottle. Therefore you can get the higher priced wines with a 40% discount as long as the bottle is less than $100 and have the wine you want with your food.

:confused:Does anyone know if you pay the 15% gratuity on top of the charge for the wine when you buy it by the bottle on the package?

Hi I'm new to cruising and this forum.. But this definitely help me make up my mind about this package on our upcoming golden princess cruise on September 28 to Catalina and Ensenada. We are both in our early 30's and I guess we are a pair of lushe's because it instantly said yes lol.. I am definitely planning to take advantage of the coffee and waters included in the package.. Very excited and can't wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are thinking about the package also. Do you buy it before you go or when you get on board? Someone on a fb cruise forum said they just got off the Pacific Princess and only paid for 1 package but shared it. They didn't have any trouble with the crew allowing this. Has anyone else done this?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are thinking about the package also. Do you buy it before you go or when you get on board? Someone on a fb cruise forum said they just got off the Pacific Princess and only paid for 1 package but shared it. They didn't have any trouble with the crew allowing this. Has anyone else done this?

The package price is per person and not meant to be shared.

But I would imagine there are those that will try and cheat the system. :(

greater choice in bottles than the short list o' wines by the glass

IMHO better choice in bottles as it is often on land, too...