Cruising as Type 2 Diabetic

We are frequent cruisers, as you can see by my signature. Last year at this time, I was hospitalized and diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic. This has certainly caused some drastic changes in my life, but we haven't cruised since my diagnosis. By now, I have an idea of what I should and shouldn't eat/drink. However, I know there can be 'hidden' carbs and sugars in menus that I am not familiar with. Does RCI have a specific menu for those with diabetes? Also, my husband and I always indulged in one of those fru-fru drinks every day. I now know that is off limits to me, as those drinks contain a lot of sugar and 60-80 carbs. What are some other alcohol options for me? I can always do the rum & 'diet' coke, but don't have a clue as to other drinks. Excuse my ignorance, but this is all new to me and, as diabetes and cruising will be part of the rest of my life, I want to learn how to make the most of it. Any advice or suggestions?

Hey, just wanted to offer some encouragement to your recent news. I've dealt with this issue for 8 years, and my doc is very pleased with my progress.

I would encourage you to get in the habit of using a carb counter app, I use "Carbs Control" which is free. Logging my food/drinks was a huge game changer for me. As is daily exercise.

I drink a lot of water, often with lemon/sweetener instead of any carbs.

We are frequent cruisers, as you can see by my signature. Last year at this time, I was hospitalized and diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic. This has certainly caused some drastic changes in my life, but we haven't cruised since my diagnosis. By now, I have an idea of what I should and shouldn't eat/drink. However, I know there can be 'hidden' carbs and sugars in menus that I am not familiar with. Does RCI have a specific menu for those with diabetes? Also, my husband and I always indulged in one of those fru-fru drinks every day. I now know that is off limits to me, as those drinks contain a lot of sugar and 60-80 carbs. What are some other alcohol options for me? I can always do the rum & 'diet' coke, but don't have a clue as to other drinks. Excuse my ignorance, but this is all new to me and, as diabetes and cruising will be part of the rest of my life, I want to learn how to make the most of it. Any advice or suggestions?

There's also vodka and diet sprite. My DH was diagnosed last year although he's really pre-diabetic now due to weight loss and his regular exercise routine. He has one drink a day, usually a screwdriver. As you know, what you really need to do is count carbs and trade off/replace with fiber so there's really nothing you can't have as long as you monitor. There are several threads on here about meals, etc onboard.

Something else I've heard is even though they have sugar free desserts, they still have a lot of carbs.

Edited by BND

I understand you have been diagnosed with diabetes for a year. During this year I would imagine that you have tested yourself on a regular basis and hope you are dong better after this one year.

I am in the very same situation as you, being Type 2 (barely). After one year with change in food intake, I was told that I could drop the medicine if I could continue with my diet and new "lifestyle" I still take a small amount and check my sugar level semi monthly.

When I go on a cruise I do think of my illness but still enjoy the food offered.

I may have 2 beer per day at the most and a glass of wine with dinner. As to food, I take what I like just in small portions. My desert is always sorbet.

I do not know if this can cheer you up. Enjoy the cruise and watch your food intake.

My DH eats pretty much everything he wants, but in moderation. There's really nothing off limits but serving size is important. His Dr lowered his metformin from twice a day to once when his numbers improved. He quit eating ice cream several nights a week to only having it once or twice per month, but he can still have it. He offsets carbs with fiber also. Have you taken classes? His Dr sent him to classes for diabetics to learn what/how to eat. He was the only one in the class to actually lose weight. Most in his class weren't wiling to make the changes they needed to, even small ones. Honestly, some people thought they could keep eating McDonald's everyday.

Edited by BND

There's an app called calorie King that will help with carb counting. The biggest issue is portion control. Always try to eat a protein with your carbs - helps extend the sugar so you won't see a spike or a sudden low. Test daily and ask your cabin steward for a sharps container for your used strips.

I always try to walk the steps when I can and at least 30 mins of continuous exercise daily.

Most insurances cover diabetic education and some pharmacies offer classes as well.

Good luck & enjoy your cruise.

Susie

Hi there - fellow diabetic, and recent cancer survivor here. :) It's tough but you can do this. *thumbs up*

RCI does not have a specific low-carb menu, nor are there any carb counts for the food onboard. You really just have to "know your foods" and what you should and should not eat. It can be done, very successfully, and I and many others here are proof. Please don't worry - you have a fabulous cruise future ahead of you.

Here are the links to two great threads about the subject, in which many of us have already contributed. They are in the "Foodies" forum; the first one is an excellent source of information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361583

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1864615

Just thought of this.

If you fly internationally you will ge a meal during your flight.

When I was diagnosesed with diabets, I ordered the diabetic meal.

Now that I do not need it, I still order it because i find it much better that what they othervise serve on board. It is much better to get nice fruit over a soggy cake.

Go to the store and buy several different flavors of the squirt Kool-aid. Carry it on the cruise -

If you want a slushy fruity drink: have the bartender mix ice/diet sprite/vodka in the blender and then squirt your favorite flavor in the glass - you will get the fruity flavor, beautiful colors - depending on what flavor you buy - and have a variety. (the orange and cherry are my favorites, they also have strawberry, fruit punch and raspberry) Enjoy! You could also do this with the diet tea packets and make a long island ice tea... you just gotta get creative with what you can bring with you to make your own mixture.

As a Type 2 on an insulin pump, I can also highly recommend Calorie King as either a phone app, or the printed version. Regarding the alcohol, just be very careful if you are on insulin. If I drink any alcohol, I will generally turn off my pump a few hours beforehand, and NOT count the sugar carbs in the drinks. Alcohol will generally lower your blood sugar, and can intensify the effects of the insulin. Granted, we all want to try and maintain good BG's, but in my experience, I can better manage high BG's from lack on insulin than a possible severe hypo from the combination of insulin and alcohol. I can always bolus extra to compensate for a high rather than try to counter a severe low, and the generally resulting spike afterwards. Restaurants and other commercially prepared foods are the most difficult to judge as you don't know all of the ingredients, but the Calorie King app/book should give you a good baseline to go by. Going on a cruise, I would highly recommend picking up a printed copy of the book so you are not dependent on your phone being handy and charged - it's easy enough to bring the book with you in a purse or small bag.

There's also vodka and diet sprite. My DH was diagnosed last year although he's really pre-diabetic now due to weight loss and his regular exercise routine. He has one drink a day, usually a screwdriver. As you know, what you really need to do is count carbs and trade off/replace with fiber so there's really nothing you can't have as long as you monitor. There are several threads on here about meals, etc onboard.

Something else I've heard is even though they have sugar free desserts, they still have a lot of carbs.

I am type 2, I know all the does and don'ts about type 2. If your on Metformin you should not be drinking alcohol at all. Screwdriver is one of the worst drinks you could have. Orange and pineapple juice should not be in your diet. That being said I know all the rules but for one week a year I go a little crazy and break most of them when I am on a cruise. Everyone has to control type two in their own way. Sometimes you have to say screw it and live your life. When the week is over I go back to my type 2 diet. This may not be good but it is the way I live life.

I have it also and control it with 2.5 mil pill once a day and diet. Hate needles so check once a year when I get script refilled.

Everything is good with no side effects. I drink Miller 64 due to the 2.4 carbs and vodka with diet Pepsi/ coke or diet 7 up/ sprite.

Everybodies body is different but it works for me.

And my Dr. Said you have to Enjoy life sometimes and break the rules.

I am type 2, I know all the does and don'ts about type 2. If your on Metformin you should not be drinking alcohol at all. Screwdriver is one of the worst drinks you could have. Orange and pineapple juice should not be in your diet. That being said I know all the rules but for one week a year I go a little crazy and break most of them when I am on a cruise. Everyone has to control type two in their own way. Sometimes you have to say screw it and live your life. When the week is over I go back to my type 2 diet. This may not be good but it is the way I live life.

I'm type 2 also, but it is still "mild" and I only control it with Metformin and whatever sensible changes I can manage. My doctor has the same philosophy as you -- do what you can in your everyday life to stay on top of diabetes, but still live your life. I tend to panic before every cruise but he tells me every time, "Gina, it's just one week -- You have to keep the big picture in mind, and one week isn't going to make a difference. Go, take the stairs, watch the portions as much as you can, but have FUN." And that's what I do. :)

Go to the store and buy several different flavors of the squirt Kool-aid. Carry it on the cruise -

If you want a slushy fruity drink: have the bartender mix ice/diet sprite/vodka in the blender and then squirt your favorite flavor in the glass - you will get the fruity flavor, beautiful colors - depending on what flavor you buy - and have a variety. (the orange and cherry are my favorites, they also have strawberry, fruit punch and raspberry) Enjoy! You could also do this with the diet tea packets and make a long island ice tea... you just gotta get creative with what you can bring with you to make your own mixture.

I recommend the squirt Mio instead as that one is sugar free and has 0 sugars and 0 carbs, Kool-Aid squirt still has sugar and carbs. I like the orange and fruit punch flavors the most. The Mio "Energy" has caffeine, regular Mio does not, but both are sugar free and okay for diabetics.

Oh, BTW, both are made by Kraft, so I have no self interest in promoting one over the other, other then the sugar free aspect. By the way DW is a type one diabetic, on the pump too, so we appreciate any sugar free option.

Dolby1000

I really do appreciate all of the suggestions given here. I take metformin twice a day, insulin before meals 3x day, and Lantus 2x day (morning and evening). By now I am familiar with carb counts in foods, although there are quite a few that still catch me by surprise. I have also had multiple sclerosis for 25 years. That limits my exercise. I had two hospital stays last year -- the first one where my sugar was over 500 and was close to a diabetic coma, which also flared up my MS and I couldn't walk, which meant I had to have IV steroids, which screwed up my sugar. The second stay I had an infection that went septic. That pretty much wiped out my stamina and weakened my walking abilities. But, now am in physical therapy to regain strength and balance in my legs. Told them my goal was to rely less on my scooter and cane on my next cruise! They agreed that it was a pretty good goal! ;) Keep the advice coming! I'm taking it all in and thinking about things I want to do!