What they say about transatlantics is TRUE

It is now the end of Day 5 of my first transatlantic cruise.

So far:

Two "Alpha, alpha, alpha" calls.

Two emergency ambulance pickups at the pier. (one in St. Thomas, one in St. Maarten)

One return to port after four hours at sea for a medical emergency drop off. (back to St. Maarten)

:eek:

What is "true"? I've never heard of anything before...

BTW... Major bummer on all the medical delays!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Many older passengers......many more medical issues.

Medical emergency. Life threatening.

Not necessarily life threatening. We had an alpha call recently for a lady who fell at the ice cream machine on the pool deck. The alpha call sign is also for the crew in the vicinity to clear the way of rubberneckers so the medical team can get through as quickly as possible.

Glenys- you are too funny:)

It is now the end of Day 5 of my first transatlantic cruise.

So far:

Two "Alpha, alpha, alpha" calls.

Two emergency ambulance pickups at the pier. (one in St. Thomas, one in St. Maarten)

One return to port after four hours at sea for a medical emergency drop off. (back to St. Maarten)

:eek:

5 TAs and 1 Alpha in my count. Not all TAs are so hard on the ole folks. Guess you just need to choose wisely :rolleyes:

You are right; however, on the recent Legend transatlantic (16 days), I didn't hear one single Alpha call. Did hear by word of mouth about a newlywed going rather beserk and they planned to put them off the ship in LeHavre. Security was called and he was taken to medical, but there was not any type of "call" in the middle of the night when it happened.

We had four deaths on my first transatlantic. One apparent suicide on the first night, victim disembarked in Toulon. Then three elderly passengers died on the crossing from Tenerife to San Juan. No Alpha-Alpha-Alpha was ever heard. It was all very discreet.

We know this as there was a large contingent of Puerto Ricans on board, many of them well known on the island, and one of the deaths was a former Puerto Rico Supreme Court Justice.

You are right; however, on the recent Legend transatlantic (16 days), I didn't hear one single Alpha call. Did hear by word of mouth about a newlywed going rather beserk and they planned to put them off the ship in LeHavre. Security was called and he was taken to medical, but there was not any type of "call" in the middle of the night when it happened.

Agreed - was on that cruise and not one call.

I had NOT heard about the newlywed couple. Interesting!

On our very recent TA on Adventure there were 2 alpha calls, one already mentioned at the Icecream and the other a crew member who had taken ill and had to be disembarked.

Hi Missus, what was the call sign to try and get a seat in the Concierge Lounge????

Hi Missus, what was the call sign to try and get a seat in the Concierge Lounge????
Like, Like, Like!:) You needed a medical team to survive that emergency room. Edited by peteukmcr

I have done 2 TAs and I dont recall hearing an Alpha call on either. Now, I also did a Panama Canal full transit and there were several medical emergencies on that. We had an unscheduled stop in Cabo San Lucas. We had another Medical emergenicy Costa Rica. We also had two people taken off in the Miraflores locks in the canal itself. We were actually in the locks for about 30 minutes because of getting the people off.

That was the sailing with the most medical emergencies that I have been on.

Off topic, but how can you tell if these call signs are drills and not the real thing?

On my Explorer cruise last month, there was an "Echo, Echo, Echo" announcement which put me into a panic. I happened to be right outside my cabin at the time and must have blurted something out because my steward (who was in the hall) shouted back that it's only a drill, don't worry.

Edited by Mom.to.2

I have done 2 TAs and I dont recall hearing an Alpha call on either. Now, I also did a Panama Canal full transit and there were several medical emergencies on that. We had an unscheduled stop in Cabo San Lucas. We had another Medical emergenicy Costa Rica. We also had two people taken off in the Miraflores locks in the canal itself. We were actually in the locks for about 30 minutes because of getting the people off.

That was the sailing with the most medical emergencies that I have been on.

Panama Canal cruises have the same number as TA cruises or TP cruises or Hawaii cruises or probably any other long cruise.

It's funny that Merion Mom would mention that...considering that she has done a long series of cruises before.

I'm sure it is luck of the draw, with HAL having a reputation for an even higher number of Alphas. :D:):D

Off topic, but how can you tell if these call signs are drills and not the real thing?

On my Explorer cruise last month, there was an "Echo, Echo, Echo" announcement which put me into a panic. I happened to be right outside my cabin at the time and must have blurted something out because my steward (who was in the hall) shouted back that it's only a drill, don't worry.

There will be announcements by either Captain or Cruise director to say that the following announcements are a drill for the crew only and guests do not need to participate:)

Sometimes the announcements do not go into the cabin .