Harmony Keel Blocks are in the House... well they're outside actually!

Woohoo, let's get the party started! So excited to follow the Oasis III. Does anyone know if they have a webcam?

I haven't heard of a webcam (yet), but there is a tour!

http://visit-saint-nazaire.com/page_n3/2/52/how-visit-shipyard.html

Note that it says:

All tours and visits: please note that photographing or filming are forbidden; animals are not allowed. Thank you for your comprehension.

We may not be able to depend on tourist as we have at Meyer Werft. Of course, with mobile phone cameras, someone can sneak a photo in. :D

And of course, since the ship is being built outside, it would be hard to stop anybody from snapping photos from a distance.

Chantiers%201.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

I haven't heard of a webcam (yet), but there is a tour!

http://visit-saint-nazaire.com/page_n3/2/52/how-visit-shipyard.html

Note that it says:

All tours and visits: please note that photographing or filming are forbidden; animals are not allowed. Thank you for your comprehension.

We may not be able to depend on tourist as we have at Meyer Werft. Of course, with mobile phone cameras, someone can sneak a photo in. :D

And of course, since the ship is being built outside, it would be hard to stop anybody from snapping photos from a distance.

Chantiers%201.jpg

This would be a great use for one of these drones.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036629

This would be a great use for one of these drones.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036629

That's a great video. There's a group, Team BlackSheep, dedicated to using drones to give viewers a tour of their surroundings. They have tons of videos from around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAMZOHjmiInGYjOplGhU38g

Edited by Lloyd555

So apparently, the Oasis 3 will be bigger than the Allure (which is bigger/longer than the Oasis); and the Oasis 4 will be bigger than the Oasis 3.

Who does Royal Caribbean have working for them?!

we-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat.jpg

I hope they don't use Passion of the Seas or Pulse of the Seas. I would feel terrible about referring to a RCI ship in forum shorthand as POS! :eek::p

Eric

But it will be the finest POS we'll ever sail on! :D

The video has one quick announcement - Oasis 4 agreement has been made.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? Still curious as to the home ports for these ships. Would like to have some new port options. Is Oasis moving to Europe??

The video has one quick announcement - Oasis 4 agreement has been made.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? Still curious as to the home ports for these ships. Would like to have some new port options. Is Oasis moving to Europe??

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has indeed reached an agreement with STX France to move forward on the order of a fourth Oasis-class ship for delivery in 2018.

Edited by Lloyd555

Okay, Lloyd! Now you're getting me hooked on the Oasis class build!

And here are four reasons why I am looking forward to following the build:

Wow, those are great pictures. I've been reading the Quantum build thread every day, and now she looks tiny. :D Looking forward to following the Oasis 3 build, also - since I've already been on Oasis and Allure, I'm hoping I can tell what I'm looking at a little better than in the Quantum build pix...

OMG, I can't wait to go on her!!!!! Awesome pics as usual. Looks like I'm going to have design a cruise ship cake now!!! :D

Wow I can't spell today!!

cruisecake_zps105a3bee.jpg

Edited by tls1012

Same with me. I've been on both Oasis-class ships. Should be less confusion. On the other hand, I like playing the guessing game. :-)

Sent from Lloyd's mobile phone

You're much better at the guessing game than I am! :) Every time I look at a deck plan, it might as well be written in Klingon, and when I look at the ship blocks I'm basically saying to myself "oooh, look at the shiny metal," since I don't really know what they are. ;)

OMG, I can't wait to go on her!!!!! Awesome pics as usual. Looks like I'm going to have design a cruise ship cake now!!! :D

Wow I can't spell today!!

Coolest. Cake. Ever. Maybe we can sneak one onto our Jan 3 Quantum sailing!

A new Oasis-class ship consists of 80 blocks. Wouldn't mind seeing the block plan. :D

I would like to see a plan as well.

By the way, do the minions from the Quantum Keel thread know that you started a thread about another ship in another ship yard?! Will they be upset? :D

Edited by Cutesy Pie Lover

I would like to see a plan as well.

By the way, do the minions from the Quantum Keel thread know that you started a thread about another ship in another ship yard?! Will they be upset? :D

I don't thinks so. How could they find ou... AACK!

Caughtbyminions_zps674515df.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

I get a huge charge out of watching the build process. Anything to do with design, engineering, build, logistics, technical details I just find to be fascinating stuff. I look forward to watching this come together.

I don't thinks so. How could they find ou... AACK!

Caughtbyminions_zps674515df.jpg

DO NOT DO THIS TO ME AT WORK!!!! :D :D :D :D :D I broke out laughing out loud and all my co-workers were staring at me....LOL

Lloyd, you are the bomb!!!!! Thanks for making my day!!!

I thought that there may have been just a few blocks built at the time of the keel laying of the Oasis 3 on May 9th...

There are the few we've seen already.

ScreengrabfromCommanderecordpourSTXbyTeacuteleacutenantesonYouTube3.jpg

... plus some more ...

ScreengrabfromCommanderecordpourSTXbyTeacuteleacutenantesonYouTube2.jpg

ScreengrabfromCommanderecordpourSTXbyTeacuteleacutenantesonYouTube5.jpg

... and then there are a just few extra blocks ... :D

ScreengrabfromSaintNazaire44byPoncinAndreonYouTube00.jpg

By the way, here is the nice view from the ship yard.

ScreengrabfromSaintNazaire44byPoncinAndreonYouTube8.jpg

Screen grabs from (1) Commande record pour STX by Télénantes & (2) Saint Nazaire 44 by Poncin Andre on YouTube

Here are one interesting comments by Adam in his recent blog about Oasis 3.

We then moved from the northwest of Germany to the northwest of France and the shipyard at STX France. This was bound to be a pleasant stop for several reasons. First, the official purpose for our visit was to participate in one of those enjoyable maritime traditions that we take so seriously (and convivially) at Royal Caribbean – the keel laying of Oasis III. This was not a business as usual keel laying. One reason is that the ship in question will eventually eclipse her sister ships and become the world’s largest cruise ship by approximately 1% as measured in Gross Registered Tons (GRT). Another reason is that the French yard embellished the occasion by using its gigantic 1400 ton rated gantry crane for the first time to lower the first grand block into the dry dock. The grand block in question was in vicinity of 1,000 tons and almost certainly the heaviest grand block ever constructed in one piece and lowered into a dry-dock to become part of a cruise ship.

Here is a link to the full blog that also talks a bit about their visit to see the Quantum.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/

Here are one interesting comments by Adam in his recent blog about Oasis 3.

We then moved from the northwest of Germany to the northwest of France and the shipyard at STX France. This was bound to be a pleasant stop for several reasons. First, the official purpose for our visit was to participate in one of those enjoyable maritime traditions that we take so seriously (and convivially) at Royal Caribbean – the keel laying of Oasis III. This was not a business as usual keel laying. One reason is that the ship in question will eventually eclipse her sister ships and become the world’s largest cruise ship by approximately 1% as measured in Gross Registered Tons (GRT). Another reason is that the French yard embellished the occasion by using its gigantic 1400 ton rated gantry crane for the first time to lower the first grand block into the dry dock. The grand block in question was in vicinity of 1,000 tons and almost certainly the heaviest grand block ever constructed in one piece and lowered into a dry-dock to become part of a cruise ship.

Here is a link to the full blog that also talks a bit about their visit to see the Quantum.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/

Thanks for that!

And here is the dry dock and gantry crane in a nice aerial view photo taken May 15 2014.

May152014byDefensaCOacuteRDOBAonFB.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555