Help me! Cabin upgrade offer!

Kassandra

We are sailing ms Nieuw Amsterdam, and have cabin I-6079 (quad interior)

Got an email with this upgrade offer:

Upgrade from category IQ-N to CQ-H for an additional $99pp USD/CDN

Trying to 'translate' and look at the Deck Plans:

Is IQ meaning I-Quad, thus CQ is C-Quad? They certainly cannot be talking about the Spa Staterooms cause we didn't book it.

What is the N or the H?

Any enlightenment on this would be greatly appreciated. I have several hours before I can call them due to Pacific time. I want to make sure we make the right decision!

Thanks, oh wise and great minds of Cruise Critics!

Here's some info for you:

Category: Category IQ - Large Interior Spa Stateroom

Description: Interior Spa staterooms feature two lower beds that convert to a queen-sized bed and private bathroom with shower. All staterooms include bathrobes, Elemis bath amenities, complimentary fresh fruit, flat-panel TV and DVD player, personal safe, telephone, and hair dryer.

Spa Stateroom Amenities: Yoga mats, iPod docking station, countertop water feature, exclusive spa treatments from the nearby Greenhouse Spa & Salon.

Deck: Panorama Deck

Occupancy: Can accommodate up to 2 guests in this particular cabin

Category CQ - Large Oceanview Spa Stateroom

Decks: Panorama Deck

Occupancy: Sleeps 2 guests

Description: Oceanview staterooms feature a picture window, two lower beds that convert to a queen-sized bed, and private bathroom with tub/shower combination. All staterooms include bathrobes, Elemis bath amenities, complimentary fresh fruit, flat-panel TV and DVD player, personal safe, telephone, and hair dryer.

Spa Stateroom Amenities: Yoga mats, iPod docking station, countertop water feature, exclusive spa treatments from the nearby Greenhouse Spa & Salon.

Square Footage: 169 - 267 sq ft

Enjoy,

Richard

This is an upsell, not an upgrade.

The cabin categories are H and N, no idea what the IQ or CQ mean. Looking at UncleRich's post, are we in another cabin name change situation, or confusing something?

Without knowing the length of the cruise, no idea if $99 is a good deal or not.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Just looked at the NA deck plans. It is exactly like Unclerich says: IQ is Interior Spa and CQ is Ocean View Spa. They're both on Deck 10. The Q has nothing to do with capacity.

OP, if you didn't book at Spa stateroom, what did you book? Did you book a guarantee?

Edited by Alberta Quilter

This is why I am so confused. We booked specific cabin, interior I category quad. Not a spa, not an N, or an H. We need for 4 people and the IQ and the CQ Spa staterooms are not quad cabins.

Hence my confusion!

So, if it is an "I" category quad to a "C" category quad, unsure if I want to take that, as all C cabins are main deck and do look smaller than the cabin we booked I-6079.

We are on the 12 day cruise.

Edited by Kassandra

Are you on the 12 day cruise? That is a good deal for an upsell.

If you are on the 24 day cruise -- $99 per person for an upsell is really great.

JMO -- I would jump on the upsell -- an outside cabin is better than an inside cabin.

I agree! Why settle for an inside when you can have an outside cabin with natural light and the ability to see day, night and the ports!

Do it- a small amount of money for a better cabin.

Enjoy

I agree! Why settle for an inside when you can have an outside cabin with natural light and the ability to see day, night and the ports!

Do it- a small amount of money for a better cabin.

Enjoy

If it is an outside "C" cabin (instead of our inside "I" cabin) (I am trying to use what letters make sense in their 'offer', LOL) we would be on the main deck, so window would be just above water level. Cabin may be smaller too, based on looking at deck plans. Quick off the ship, but longer walk to the spa (where we plan on taking advantage of showers since we are packed 4 in a cabin!) and food (oh no! :D)

Call HAL and talk to the agent with a copy of the deck plan in front of you. They will walk you through it. Or if you have a TA do the same. HAL does open their call center early so they can take Eastern time zone calls. You probably do not want to miss and upsell as the emails go to a lot of people.

If it is an outside "C" cabin (instead of our inside "I" cabin) (I am trying to use what letters make sense in their 'offer', LOL) we would be on the main deck, so window would be just above water level. Cabin may be smaller too, based on looking at deck plans. Quick off the ship, but longer walk to the spa (where we plan on taking advantage of showers since we are packed 4 in a cabin!) and food (oh no! :D)

Best to give them a call to get it figured out. Sounds like a good deal to me.

If the price has really dropped- maybe two inside cabins would work- one bathroom and a tiny cabin isn't very comfortable, especially if you value your friends! LOL.

However, if you are all in your early 20's maybe not a problem!

Enjoy your cruise!

I would definitely call HAL as previously suggested. But I would also go online and check to see if you still have I-6079; it's possible that you've already received an upgrade (not that you might think it's an upgrade).

If you require a quad, I don't think you should accept the upsell offer; neither the CQ nor the IQ cabins are for quads.

Upgrade from category IQ-N to CQ-H for an additional $99pp USD/CDN

In my experience this is how the upsell offers are phrased. The offer is to upgrade from an interior cabin to an oceanview cabin.

Another example would be "Upgrade from category H-C to A-BB" offering a move from an oceanview to a balcony.

Edited by CowPrincess

In my experience this is how the upsell offers are phrased. The offer is to upgrade from an interior cabin to an oceanview cabin.

Another example would be "Upgrade from category H-C to A-BB" offering a move from an oceanview to a balcony.

Just so that I understand this (never having received a direct email from HAL for upsells), basically the offer lists ALL inside cabin categories and ALL outside cabin categories, in the OP's case? And in your example, you're listing ALL outside categories to ALL balcony categories? Is that correct?

If so, then that makes more sense to me. I couldn't figure out what the "-N" or the "-H" was! But the OP should still contact HAL to ensure that she gets her Quad capacity.

Ok CowPrincess, that makes sense!

What is funny, IMO, is that my current category I is better than the IQ-N range they state.

And looking at CQ (no quad), H (no quad) and HH (no quad) the upgrade still makes no sense.

:)

But if we can get two insides instead of a quad...THAT would be great.:D

Just so that I understand this (never having received a direct email from HAL for upsells), basically the offer lists ALL inside cabin categories and ALL outside cabin categories, in the OP's case? And in your example, you're listing ALL outside categories to ALL balcony categories? Is that correct?

If so, then that makes more sense to me. I couldn't figure out what the "-N" or the "-H" was! But the OP should still contact HAL to ensure that she gets her Quad capacity.

Just my experience, but the upsells that I've seen have NOT included the "entry level" of the category receiving the offer. E.g., HHs have not been included as the recipient of the offer. Nor have (again, IME) NNs or MMs or whichever is the entry level interior cabin.

Other than that, though, from what I have seen, the offers are for all the rest of the OVs or verandahs or interiors (excluding the "entry level" cabins in each category) to move up to a different "macro" category.

Does that make sense? Kinda early, kinda low on caffeine :)

Yes she definitely needs to make sure she gets a quad, if needed!

Ok CowPrincess, that makes sense!

What is funny, IMO, is that my current category I is better than the IQ-N range they state.

And looking at CQ (no quad), H (no quad) and HH (no quad) the upgrade still makes no sense.

:)

But if we can get two insides instead of a quad...THAT would be great.:D

Let us know what you guys book! Enjoy your cruise. Sometimes the specials give you 50% off second person! Not sure if HAL is offering this now-but ask.

Let us know what you guys book! Enjoy your cruise. Sometimes the specials give you 50% off second person! Not sure if HAL is offering this now-but ask.

We are booked at 3rd/4th passenger sail for $50, which is making this affordable for all 4 of us. ;) Even if we end up being a little comfy!

Calling in a few, and will let you all know what we do!

Just my experience, but the upsells that I've seen have NOT included the "entry level" of the category receiving the offer. E.g., HHs have not been included as the recipient of the offer. Nor have (again, IME) NNs or MMs or whichever is the entry level interior cabin.

Other than that, though, from what I have seen, the offers are for all the rest of the OVs or verandahs or interiors (excluding the "entry level" cabins in each category) to move up to a different "macro" category.

Does that make sense? Kinda early, kinda low on caffeine :)

Yes she definitely needs to make sure she gets a quad, if needed!

Thank you. It makes perfect sense. It made sense before but I wanted to be sure I understood it correctly. And, thanks for correcting my error about the entry level categories.

Yep, it was a "C" cabin on main deck with ocean view for $99 more. Less square feet. I said no thanks.

They did offer verandah for $299 more per person, but also less square feet. Not worth the money for us, so we declined that as well.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Yep, it was a "C" cabin on main deck with ocean view for $99 more. Less square feet. I said no thanks.

They did offer verandah for $299 more per person, but also less square feet. Not worth the money for us, so we declined that as well.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Good to hear that you got it straightened out and that you are sticking with what you have. More $ to spend on other things now:).