Alaska Review on the Volendam

cbr663

Thanks for the reports. My next cruise is on the Volendam in August, and I am looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if Bruce Scudder will still be the Cruise Director in August? I think he is excellent.

Just booked the July 9th cruise with Mom. Can't wait! Didn't know about ordering room service from the MDR for dinner. We've got a verandah (B6228), so definitely will try that if the weather is warmish ;)

It was our first try and we will definitely be ordering again. We tried breakfast on our balcony, but did find it just a little too chilly. We always have breakfast on our balcony several times during a cruise. It is one of the things that we look forward to the most.

Our dinner on the balcony was just as magical. We were so lucky to have a warm evening and calm waters. The operator will always ask you how many servings you want of anything and will give you an expected time for delivery. They were right on the mark and we just asked them to leave the tray on the desk and we served ourselves on the balcony. Throw a small table cloth in your suitcase to make it even more special.

We forgot to ask about dessert. I am guessing you could just inquire as to what is on the menu or order the dark chocolate cake from the room service menu.

It was our first try and we will definitely be ordering again. We tried breakfast on our balcony, but did find it just a little too chilly. We always have breakfast on our balcony several times during a cruise. It is one of the things that we look forward to the most.

Our dinner on the balcony was just as magical. We were so lucky to have a warm evening and calm waters. The operator will always ask you how many servings you want of anything and will give you an expected time for delivery. They were right on the mark and we just asked them to leave the tray on the desk and we served ourselves on the balcony. Throw a small table cloth in your suitcase to make it even more special.

We forgot to ask about dessert. I am guessing you could just inquire as to what is on the menu or order the dark chocolate cake from the room service menu.

Thanks for the tips! If the weather is nice, we'll definitely try this. :)

I wonder if anyone knows if James Deering will still be the Hotel Director on the Volendam in Sept. when it sails to Australia? We have had the pleasure of his company on three cruises.

I wonder if anyone knows if James Deering will still be the Hotel Director on the Volendam in Sept. when it sails to Australia? We have had the pleasure of his company on three cruises.

I would think we would be. As I recall, he has a home in Japan. or at least visits there often.

DaveOKC

Thanks for the reports. My next cruise is on the Volendam in August, and I am looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if Bruce Scudder will still be the Cruise Director in August? I think he is excellent.

Welcome back Ruth.

Copper10-8, posted a while back that Bruce will be on board the Volendam for the Australian Circumnavigation beginning October, am guessing that he will be aboard for the September Trans Pacific , so he may well be on leave in August.

Welcome back Ruth.

Copper10-8, posted a while back that Bruce will be on board the Volendam for the Australian Circumnavigation beginning October, am guessing that he will be aboard for the September Trans Pacific , so he may well be on leave in August.

Although I'm disappointed at the idea that Bruce will be on vacation, I do appreciate that you answered my question.

Thanks.

Just booked the July 9th cruise with Mom. Can't wait! Didn't know about ordering room service from the MDR for dinner. We've got a verandah (B6228), so definitely will try that if the weather is warmish ;)

We were in room a veranda - 6220. What a fantastic location! - Close to the aft balcony on deck six (deserted area for great viewing) We could take the stairs everywhere - up for lido and down for dining room. Great spot.

It was never warm enough to eat on the balcony, but with the big coffee table and the views through the balcony window - we still really enjoyed some room service with fantastic vistas.

Maybe this summer on the Oosterdam, we will get some dining on our balcony.

We were in room a veranda - 6220. What a fantastic location! - Close to the aft balcony on deck six (deserted area for great viewing) We could take the stairs everywhere - up for lido and down for dining room. Great spot.

It was never warm enough to eat on the balcony, but with the big coffee table and the views through the balcony window - we still really enjoyed some room service with fantastic vistas.

Maybe this summer on the Oosterdam, we will get some dining on our balcony.

I'm in 7220 - same location, just one deck up. I am so looking forward to going out on the aft balcony when I want a different view than the one from my veranda. So where all could you take the stairs from there? It looks like the Lido. Where could you go if doing down?

I'm in 7220 - same location, just one deck up. I am so looking forward to going out on the aft balcony when I want a different view than the one from my veranda. So where all could you take the stairs from there? It looks like the Lido. Where could you go if doing down?

I do not see a 7220 on the Volendam deck plan. Are you sure that is your cabin?

6220 is near the aft of the ship, port side. It is above the MDR, which should not be an issue IMO and below cabins on deck 7. Should be quiet. Only negative is long walks to many things on the ship (be sure to use the mid-ship elevators), especially is going to deck 4 (deck 4 does not go all the way from bow to aft).

DaveOKC

I do not see a 7220 on the Volendam deck plan. Are you sure that is your cabin?

6220 is near the aft of the ship, port side. It is above the MDR, which should not be an issue IMO and below cabins on deck 7. Should be quiet. Only negative is long walks to many things on the ship (be sure to use the mid-ship elevators), especially is going to deck 4 (deck 4 does not go all the way from bow to aft).

DaveOKC

No I'm a goof again.My cabin is 7080.

• 1 month later...