Are any Alaska cruises toddler friendly?

kriten19

My husband and I are very interested in an Alaska cruise. We will have an almost 3 yr old next June. We are debating on leaving him home with grandparents (we feel bad leaving him for 10 days) or bringing him with us. Any tips or advice??

We have only been on one previous cruise which was before having children.

You can take a toddler on any cruise line with full acceptance. :)

But, you would be able to do much more in Alaska without a toddler. A toddler will limit your time and tour choices.

Frankly, I left my kids many times. The relatives were delighted to have them. One son of mine actually had a preference to staying with his grandmother and cousins instead going on my trips. :)

Perhaps, first determine, what you wish to see and do on this trip. Head to your library for Alaska travel books.

My husband and I are very interested in an Alaska cruise. We will have an almost 3 yr old next June. We are debating on leaving him home with grandparents (we feel bad leaving him for 10 days) or bringing him with us. Any tips or advice??

Leave him with his grandparents and enjoy yourselves. No need to feel bad. Concentrate on each other.

All major cruise lines have day care so you can go on most excursions and leave the toddler on the ship. So you really can do it all (or almost all). For example, http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/youth_teen/hours_operation/

The above statement is incorrect. Huskyguy, take a look at what's written on your link. Princess only accepts kids who are three, but the OP wants to sail with a child less than three.

kriten19: Consider waiting until your child is at least three and toilet trained. The advantages would be that (1) any of the major cruise lines would accept him in the kids' program, and (2) he can go into the pools.

If you want to sail with him before the age of three and without toilet training, realize that he will not be allowed in any of the pools, and most of the major cruise lines will not accept him alone, without you, in the kids' clubs. I know that Carnival and Disney (for an additional fee) do take kids below the age of three in the kids' programs, but this would significantly limit your options. You might find that neither of these cruise lines offers the itinerary that you prefer.

The above statement is incorrect. Huskyguy, take a look at what's written on your link. Princess only accepts kids who are three, but the OP wants to sail with a child less than three.

I saw the "3 yr old" but not the "almost" in front of it. You're right, of course.

IMHO, trips to Alaska are primarily about scenery and wildlife. Not many 3 yr olds are interested in scenery. Even wildlife vewing trips would be boring for a toddler .. those excursions aren't constant action and amusement, they're about enjoying the scenery while waiting for activity.

Consider what you would do in each port .... how long would your son be interested in Mendenhall Glacier? or Totem Bight? or a walking tour of Ketchikan? I think you'd spend a lot of time keeping him amused and potentially miss out on the experience.

He'll have much more fun at grandma's, being indulged for 10 days.

Cherish the ten days you and hubby will have to discover Alaska. When your son is old enough to remember going to Alaska take another Alaskan cruise for him.

kriten19: Consider waiting until your child is at least three and toilet trained. The advantages would be that (1) any of the major cruise lines would accept him in the kids' program, and (2) he can go into the pools.

If you want to sail with him before the age of three and without toilet training, realize that he will not be allowed in any of the pools, and most of the major cruise lines will not accept him alone, without you, in the kids' clubs. I know that Carnival and Disney (for an additional fee) do take kids below the age of three in the kids' programs, but this would significantly limit your options. You might find that neither of these cruise lines offers the itinerary that you prefer.

The OP could sail RCI...the Radiance even has a nursery for those as young as 6 months old....As far as the pools go..not a priority at least for us when cruising to Alaska...much too cold or at least it has been during our May cruises.

If you decide to bring a toddler on a cruise - any cruise - please respect that some areas are appropriate for toddlers, and some are not.

On my last HAL Alaska cruise, the aft pool and hot tub were billed as "adults only". The afternoon I was going to use it, I discovered a woman and her toddler in the hot tub for over an hour. Splashing and being all loud. Not the "adults only" experience I was looking for.

First, I think it's not healthy to have children that age in a hot tub. Second, it was supposed to be an "adults only" area. There were at least two other hot tubs where children were allowed.

I am taking my 2 yr old son on HAL cruisetour in 2 weeks! But we're going with my whole family which HOPEFULLY will help me. I think it all depends on your child- how adaptive are they if they arent on their normal routine? you will definitely be limited on what u can do.. we are only able to do things we want because my parents will be there to watch him. But we are going for 12 days, its too long to leave him at home with someone. I can tell you how it goes when i get back!

There is no reason to take any child under the age of 8 or so on an AK cruise. They will be totally uninterested in the stuff you go to Alaska for and they will just interfere w your trip. If you have relatives who are happy to take care of the child, leave him/her with them. Both of you and the relatives who are minding your child will have a better time.

DON

From our experience cruising with little ones was great! We cruised on Celebrity through the Panama Canal full transit with kids aged 14months, 2yr (he turned 3 on board) & 5 years. Now we were on what a poster above might consider a 'scenery' cruise, and the kids still got quite a lot out of it and had a great time. Made life long memories. Although there were few kids on board (12, 3 of which were mine) because of the time of year we went our kids still had tons of fun & great care in the kids club. Celebrity like many cruise lines doesn't take kids under 3 in the kids club, but even so my kids had a blast.

This cruise were going with Royal Caribbean. Our kids are a little older (5,7 & 10 by the time we cruise Alaska in 2015) but even if they weren't I wouldn't have to worry about them being allowed into kids club as Royal offers child care service for the under 3's as well. They are a little more family balanced. Including lots of options from toddler to Grandparent & everyone in between. We are very much looking forward to this cruise.

Unlike what a previous poster has said, you can take the kids *almost* anywhere. You pay the same rate for a kid on a cruise as an adult, so don't let negative Nancies tut tut you & your family out of a good time. Most cruise lines have a rule about being potty trained kid & pools, so if that's important to you make sure you work on that with your little guy in advance. But because you're looking at Alaska, the pools aren't as important anyways. As for the solariums (inside pools) because of inclimental weather most lines open up the "adults only" area to families select hours through the day. That way all passengers get to enjoy the warm water.

Have a great cruise! Your little one's going to love it!

There is no reason to take any child under the age of 8 or so on an AK cruise. They will be totally uninterested in the stuff you go to Alaska for and they will just interfere w your trip. If you have relatives who are happy to take care of the child, leave him/her with them. Both of you and the relatives who are minding your child will have a better time.

DON

I always find it funny when people comment that your kids will just 'interfere with your trip'. Honestly. My kids are my family & they are very much a part of my family vacation. Although we recently cruised without our kids for a big anniversary, I can't imagine doing so regularly.

I suspect some people just don't like kids.

Children don't just interfere with trips, they interfere with all aspects of life. People really just shouldn't have children -- that way they could do what they want, when they want, all the time.

True, you might have to plan around your children a bit if you take them to Alaska, but there are still tons of things that can be done with them. It will just be a different trip than someone without children might have taken. Probably one much more full of laughter and love, too.

That said, RCCL and Disney are the only cruise lines that really have options for the under 3 crowd in that Radiance of the seas and all Disney ships have nurseries. They would be my recommendations.

Children don't just interfere with trips, they interfere with all aspects of life. People really just shouldn't have children -- that way they could do what they want, when they want, all the time.

Priceless. :D:D

It will just be a different trip than someone without children might have taken. Probably one much more full of laughter and love, too.

Well said. Sure an adults only trip has it's perks, but I always seem to spend a third of my time missing the kids anyways. We feel that traveling with our kids adds to our vacation.

That said, RCCL and Disney are the only cruise lines that really have options for the under 3 crowd in that Radiance of the seas and all Disney ships have nurseries. They would be my recommendations.

Carnival allows 2 year olds in their kids club, and they don't need to be potty trained.