Coral Princess Panama Canal Review with Photos

h20skibum

• 3 weeks later...
Cartagena - Part 2

We were on tour 100A in Cartagena along with 500 others. The excursion guide said it was the most popular tour. Lots and lots of busses. This tour included the Highlights of Cartagena, the Fortress, and Las Bovedas.

h20skibum,

I have a question about this tour that I'm hoping you can answer. Is there another way get up to the fort other than walking up those long ramps that I've seen in pictures on the internet? My wife has mobility issues. We will be in Cartegena in December and I'm trying to decide on a shore excursion.

Thanks!

h20skibum,

I have a question about this tour that I'm hoping you can answer. Is there another way get up to the fort other than walking up those long ramps that I've seen in pictures on the internet? My wife has mobility issues. We will be in Cartegena in December and I'm trying to decide on a shore excursion.

Thanks!

I do not recall any other access than the ramps. Princess lists this as an excursion in the "moderate" category. There is a lot of walking on the excursion when you factor in the various stops, and some areas require climbing stairs unless you chose to skip those portions.

You may want to check with Princess, and they may be able to accommodate your mobility needs or give you further advice.

Enjoy your trip.

I do not recall any other access than the ramps. Princess lists this as an excursion in the "moderate" category. There is a lot of walking on the excursion when you factor in the various stops, and some areas require climbing stairs unless you chose to skip those portions.

You may want to check with Princess, and they may be able to accommodate your mobility needs or give you further advice.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I will contact Princess. I may need to choose another excursion. I enjoyed your review and pictures very much.

Thanks for taking the time to write and share your photos. I'm involved with a CC group from Vancouver & San Francisco through the Canal to Ft. Lauderdale later this month on the Island. I understand that the layout of the Coral is the same as the Island.

One of our members posted a link to your review so thanks for posting.

Tom:D

Costa Rica - Part 2

After the train, we traveled a short distance to the canals. In the canals, we saw iguana in the trees, crocodiles, and more sloths and monkeys. The guide said the sloth in the photo below was expecting. The guides were very keen at picking out the wildlife, and they would turn to boat and stay there to make sure everyone could see the wildlife. It was definitely a worthwhile tour.

Iguana in tree along Tortuguero Canals

13975038909_d122667791_c.jpg

Blue Heron along canal.

13975014139_98cc66e35a_c.jpg

Sloth along canal.

13975041988_499950a5e1_c.jpg

Crocodile along canal

14170066062_ceb292fa0b_c.jpg

The last tour boat that didn't make it back.

14161786204_01859829a0_c.jpg

A "Choice" establishment for sale.

14158318521_55c4a27086_c.jpg

There was an artists market by the pier where we found a few things to bring back, so there was some time for shopping here. As you travel here and at the other stops in Panama and Columbia, you will note the poor living conditions, and even the poorest places have bars on the doors and windows and razor wire on the fences.

Next - How much of your stateroom furniture fits on your balcony?

Thanks for the great reviews -- can you tell me who you used for this tour?

Thanks for the great reviews -- can you tell me who you used for this tour?

It was a Princess Excursion. It was LIO-600 and was listed as "Train Ride, Tortuguero Canals & Banana Plantation". We paid $85 each for the excursion. The guides were really good at spotting the wildlife, and stopping the train or boat to make sure everyone could see and have photo opportunities.

Great reviews and photos. I noticed Colon details missing. Was there no excursion in Colon(Panama)?

On the partial transit, the ship enters Gatun Lake, and only passengers on Princess excursions can depart the ship on tenders. The ship stays in Gatun Lake until it gets a time to go back through the locks, then sails to Colon to pick up passengers from their excursions. There are no excursions in Colon.

I am not sure if you can get off the ship once it docks in Colon since it is there for such a shot time. It didn't appear there was much to see or do in Colon anyway. Our ship was there longer than usual, because our lock transit by boat excursion was so late getting back.

I have a question I hope you can answer. I copied this from the Princess website in regard to excursions at Gatun Lake.

Once clearance is transmitted to the ship, procedures begin to bring ship's tour passengers ashore. Therefore, tour departure times may vary and will be announced onboard.

How far in advance are the tour departure times announced? At the beginning of our cruise, a day or two in advance, the same morning, or when?

Thanks

Edited by JimAOk1945

How far in advance are the tour departure times announced? At the beginning of our cruise, a day or two in advance, the same morning, or when?

Thanks

You will have an idea of your position for departure based on what tour you book. The transit of the locks by ferry is in group 1, because that is the longest tour and they need to get on the first group of tenders. My wife and her sister did the tour of Old Panama City, and they were in group 3.

They will make the announcement by groups just as you exit the locks into the Lake. Once you enter the lake, it is about 30 minutes for them to anchor and drop the tenders and begin transporting passengers. You won't know a specific time, because the ship has to wait for clearance to enter the locks, and there may be other ships ahead of it.

You will have an idea of your position for departure based on what tour you book. The transit of the locks by ferry is in group 1, because that is the longest tour and they need to get on the first group of tenders. My wife and her sister did the tour of Old Panama City, and they were in group 3.

They will make the announcement by groups just as you exit the locks into the Lake. Once you enter the lake, it is about 30 minutes for them to anchor and drop the tenders and begin transporting passengers. You won't know a specific time, because the ship has to wait for clearance to enter the locks, and there may be other ships ahead of it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Your explanation helped clear up my confusion.

Am I correct in assuming the announcement will come over the ship PA system several times to insure no one misses their excursion?

Edited by JimAOk1945

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Your explanation helped clear up my confusion.

Am I correct in assuming the announcement will come over the ship PA system several times to insure no one misses their excursion?

Yes, it does come over the PA system, so you can hear it if you are on deck or elsewhere. Just to give you an idea of the timeframe, I looked at the time stamps on photos I took. We entered the first lock around 7:30 and entered Gatun Lake around 8:45. We were on the first tender to leave the ship. They had two tenders tied up at a time to load passengers. Our tender was away by 9:40, and they had two more tied up by then and loading passengers and another in the water. We were ashore by 9:48.

That is not to say you will have the same times, but just figure it takes about 1:15 to get through these locks, and not long to get to shore after you board the tender.

I was on deck around 6:00 to start taking photos as we approached the locks, and the upper decks started getting crowded not long after. It is best to move around the ship if you want photos from different vantage points. The Promenade deck also gives some different perspectives.

Thank you! That was great! I am going on that cruise in Jan, just signed up today.

Have been to most of the cities, but not through the canal to the lake.

Not much to see in Colon - I boarded there, but stayed in Panama and took a taxi to Colon to board 5 years ago - lots of barbed wire, and garbage - not exactly friendly.

Yes, you can get above to the area just at the end of the buildings in Cartaenga - just walk all the way to the end or beginging if you want to cal it that - the highest point above the shops - there were stairs I walked up, walked along for a bit - took some pics and went back down the stairs - I too have limited mobility. I took a taxi, and had him take us around instead of a tour - hate to keep saying - sorry, I can not do that - taxi there was not expensive.

But beware of the jewely - I bought a silver necklace - it was very poor quality - only wore it a few times and it would not shine. but it was cheap.

Yes, it does come over the PA system, so you can hear it if you are on deck or elsewhere. Just to give you an idea of the timeframe, I looked at the time stamps on photos I took. We entered the first lock around 7:30 and entered Gatun Lake around 8:45. We were on the first tender to leave the ship. They had two tenders tied up at a time to load passengers. Our tender was away by 9:40, and they had two more tied up by then and loading passengers and another in the water. We were ashore by 9:48.

That is not to say you will have the same times, but just figure it takes about 1:15 to get through these locks, and not long to get to shore after you board the tender.

I was on deck around 6:00 to start taking photos as we approached the locks, and the upper decks started getting crowded not long after. It is best to move around the ship if you want photos from different vantage points. The Promenade deck also gives some different perspectives.

Thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed information. I am one of those people who likes to know as much as possible ahead of time. It really helps to relieve a lot of stress when I know what to expect. Now that I know the process, I can relax and enjoy the cruise. You have been extremely helpful. The information you have provided is exactly what I needed.

Thanks also for the tips on best spots for taking photos. I'll pass that along to my wife since she takes pictures on our cruises.

Happy cruising to you and your wife!

My husband and I are taking this cruise in Oct and can't wait. I had a question about taking water etc on board. Just what is allowed - water, soda? Was the shampoo in your bathroom something you carried on? Good to know about the laundry and the cost. You have answered so many little questions with your review. Greatly appreciated.:)

My husband and I are taking this cruise in Oct and can't wait. I had a question about taking water etc on board. Just what is allowed - water, soda? Was the shampoo in your bathroom something you carried on? Good to know about the laundry and the cost. You have answered so many little questions with your review. Greatly appreciated.:)

You can take water onboard. We carried a few bottles and made some room for them in the fridge in the room. I don't know about soda, since we are not soda drinkers (unless it is mixed with rum or something:))

There are shampoo dispensers in the shower, but we never used them. We took our own brands that we use all the time. Since we flew the "bags fly free" airline, we had three large suitcases for this trip and had plenty of room for extras. It also gave us room for the stuff we picked up to bring back home.

Enjoy your trip.

Have really enjoyed this thread! Cant wait until be board the Coral in April! Thanks again :)

I know you will enjoy the trip. If you are interested, the link below is to a folder in my dropbox that has the Princess Patters from the cruise, ships log, disembarkation, internet and fitness information, and ship's galley tour handouts from our cruise.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aro30adn2miobdk/AACarmmu7AF7Mre59dYrGYxSa?dl=0

I know you will enjoy the trip. If you are interested, the link below is to a folder in my dropbox that has the Princess Patters from the cruise, ships log, disembarkation, internet and fitness information, and ship's galley tour handouts from our cruise.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aro30adn2miobdk/AACarmmu7AF7Mre59dYrGYxSa?dl=0

Fantastic! You're helping a lot of us out with all of the great info!

:D

• Like 1

Thanks to the original poster and everyone on this thread. We are taking this cruise at the end of October. I do have one question though. I know I have seen it before on this or other threads but I can't find it. How do you get to the good viewing area at the front of the ship? I recall seeing something about 'special' doors but now I can't find it.