Quest Docking Incident in Monte Carlo

syam

Just got an email from my sister, who is aboard the Quest, that there was some damage to the hull when attempting to dock in high winds. Damage being assessed, St. Tropez port cancelled while repairs are being done.

Also, about 150 passengers on a ship tour did not make it back last night! She has no idea where her travelling companions spent the night. She was running out of Internet time, so its unlikely I'll hear from her again.

Hope all will be well.

Bonnie, perhaps you can fill us in.

Live from Quest now in Monaco......it appears everyone is on board safely. Damage has been assessed, reported a 7-8 in crack 12ft above the waterline. We will be leaving here by-passing St Tropez and arriving in Marseille later this evening. Awaiting an update from Captain Carl..I'll try to report before we set sail. Other than that what a wonderful time we are having, crew is fantastic and couldn't ask for anything more!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Glad to hear that everyone is OK :)

Keen to hear more info on the 150 pax that missed the sailing the previous night... That is up there with the cracked hull as a significant worry for me when i sail! :(

Look forward to updates etc

:D:D:D

Just got an email from my sister, who is aboard the Quest, that there was some damage to the hull when attempting to dock in high winds. Damage being assessed, St. Tropez port cancelled while repairs are being done.

Also, about 150 passengers on a ship tour did not make it back last night! She has no idea where her travelling companions spent the night. She was running out of Internet time, so its unlikely I'll hear from her again.

Hope all will be well.

Bonnie, perhaps you can fill us in.

Hi Syam.

Thanks for the update. Agreed, it would be nice if Azamara provided an update for us. Bonnie ???

oh my goodness, we are supposed to sail 2 weeks from today--between the stuck anchor last cruise and this i don't have a warm and fuzzy! anxious to hear updates and hope all is well

Hi Jennifers490,

Please try not to worry. Incidents such as this are very rare. I'd put my life, (and my loved ones) in Azamara's officers hands in a heartbeat. IMO, they are the very best at Sea !

Let's hope the damage will not have any major affect on Quest. Looking forward to an update from Azamara.

Hi Jennifers490,

Please try not to worry. Incidents such as this are very rare. I'd put my life, (and my loved ones) in Azamara's officers hands in a heartbeat. IMO, they are the very best at Sea !

Let's hope the damage will not have any major affect on Quest. Looking forward to an update from Azamara.

I agree but have just one question....if it was that windy, why didn't they just tender until the winds calmed down rather than trying to dock when it's that windy? :confused:

I agree but have just one question....if it was that windy, why didn't they just tender until the winds calmed down rather than trying to dock when it's that windy? :confused:

If its too windy to dock can you imagine the risk using tenders :rolleyes:

I am sure the Captain had thought of all of the options and as Andy says 100% trust ALL Azamara Captains and their deputies

If its too windy to dock can you imagine the risk using tenders :rolleyes:

I am sure the Captain had thought of all of the options and as Andy says 100% trust ALL Azamara Captains and their deputies

I didn't say "using tenders"....I only meant for the ship to tender and anchor until the winds calm down...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by midwestchick

I didn't say "using tenders"....I only meant for the ship to tender and anchor until the winds calm down...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry in that case I do not understand what you are talking about - either a ship docks, anchors and uses its tenders or sails

Hi Jennifers490,

So true.

My OH says there is only one man on this earth that I would obey without question.....and that would be Captain Carl in any sort of an emergency! :D :D

I'm sure this was only a minor incident but if ever there was a major one then like UKtog said....an Azamara crew would be the best crew at sea to deal with it.

Sorry for the delay. In situations like these it is best for me to not "wing" what I put on CC. Here is the official statement

Azamara Club Cruises Statement

May 12, 2014, 1:30 pm

On Sunday, May 11, 2014, Azamara Quest experienced unfavorable weather conditions during its port call to Monte Carlo, Monaco These conditions made getting guests ashore and back to the ship, by tender, difficult. While Azamara Quest was attempting to dock in Monte Carlo, it experienced high wind gusts, which caused it to strike the pier and caused some damage to the hull of the ship.

In order to make the necessary repair assessments, Azamara Quest extended its time in Monte Carlo. However, due to this delayed departure, it was necessary to cancel the port call to St. Tropez, on Monday, May 12. The ship departed Monte Carlo at approximately 2:00 p.m. local time and is now en route directly to Marseilles, France. The vessel is expected to be alongside at 11:00 p.m. this evening.

Unfortunately, due to the weather conditions, it was necessary for approximately 100 guests to stay in Monte Carlo overnight. These guests rejoined the ship this morning.

Azamara Club Cruises continues on its regularly scheduled itinerary, which began in Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Bastia, Corsica; Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy; Monte Carlo, Monaco; and Provence (Marseilles), France. There will be no delays or changes to future voyages.

Sorry in that case I do not understand what you are talking about - either a ship docks, anchors and uses its tenders or sails

When I look at a cruise schedule, I either see docked, tendered or at sea...it never says it's docked. So, that's where my interpretation came from.

SAT 20-SEPMonte-Carlo, MonacoEmbark10:00 pmSUN 21-SEPPortovenere, ItalyTendered8:00 am10:00 pmMON 22-SEPLivorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy Docked7:00 amTUE 23-SEPLivorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy Docked10:00 pmWED 24-SEPPortoferraio, Elba, ItalyDocked8:00 am2:00 pmTHU 25-SEPSorrento, Italy Tendered8:00 amFRI 26-SEPSorrento, Italy Tendered6:00 amFRI 26-SEPAmalfi, Italy Tendered10:00 am5:00 pmSAT 27-SEPCivitavecchia (Rome), ItalyDebark6:00 am

Talk To An Expert

Sorry for the delay. In situations like these it is best for me to not "wing" what I put on CC. Here is the official statement

Azamara Club Cruises Statement

May 12, 2014, 1:30 pm

On Sunday, May 11, 2014, Azamara Quest experienced unfavorable weather conditions during its port call to Monte Carlo, Monaco These conditions made getting guests ashore and back to the ship, by tender, difficult. While Azamara Quest was attempting to dock in Monte Carlo, it experienced high wind gusts, which caused it to strike the pier and caused some damage to the hull of the ship.

In order to make the necessary repair assessments, Azamara Quest extended its time in Monte Carlo. However, due to this delayed departure, it was necessary to cancel the port call to St. Tropez, on Monday, May 12. The ship departed Monte Carlo at approximately 2:00 p.m. local time and is now en route directly to Marseilles, France. The vessel is expected to be alongside at 11:00 p.m. this evening.

Unfortunately, due to the weather conditions, it was necessary for approximately 100 guests to stay in Monte Carlo overnight. These guests rejoined the ship this morning.

Azamara Club Cruises continues on its regularly scheduled itinerary, which began in Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Bastia, Corsica; Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy; Monte Carlo, Monaco; and Provence (Marseilles), France. There will be no delays or changes to future voyages.

Where did they put the guests that had to stay in Monte Carlo? Thanks.

Live from quest....all is well here...we will miss a short stop in st tropez ...but no worries....i'de rather have lost st tropez than florence....azamara has done a great job keeping us informed onboard

We Were tendered...the winds increased with lightening speed...we were on a tender...water relatively calm when we left shore...in the 5 minutes it took to get to the ship there were whitecaps on the water and we had trouble getting off the tender....they stopped tender service for a bit as the winds calmed....but they started up again

Live from quest....all is well here...we will miss a short stop in st tropez ...but no worries....i'de rather have lost st tropez than florence....azamara has done a great job keeping us informed onboard

Thank you for the update riandei. Very pleased to hear that all is well. Have a wonderful time on Quest.

Edited by Host Andy

We Were tendered...the winds increased with lightening speed...we were on a tender...water relatively calm when we left shore...in the 5 minutes it took to get to the ship there were whitecaps on the water and we had trouble getting off the tender....they stopped tender service for a bit as the winds calmed....but they started up again

Thanks for posting this but I read..."when attempting to dock in high winds" and that's why I wondered why they had tried to dock. Docking and being tendered are two different things. I am glad everyone is safe...that's really the main thing.

Yes about 130 pax had to stay overnight in Monaco. However before that 86 of us were put on board a tender to the ship around 11pm after azamara gave us meal ashore.

it was frightening experience culminating with the lifeboat offloading only about 8 to 10 pax in very choppy conditions, smashing against ship. Then we cast off, ordered to put on life jackets which were not readily available, in darkness, no lighting, people traumatised and we returned to dockside. We returned the following morning by tender, and I asked to wear my life jacket to do so.

sadly so far azamara senior staff appear unwilling to discuss the incident with us. derisory compensation offered by letter overnight.

So more to tell but about 450 pax blissfully unaware of the traumatic experience endured by others. I don't want to go in more detail on here at this time.

When I look at a cruise schedule, I either see docked, tendered or at sea...it never says it's docked. So, that's where my interpretation came from.

SAT 20-SEPMonte-Carlo, MonacoEmbark10:00 pmSUN 21-SEPPortovenere, ItalyTendered8:00 am10:00 pmMON 22-SEPLivorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy Docked7:00 amTUE 23-SEPLivorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy Docked10:00 pmWED 24-SEPPortoferraio, Elba, ItalyDocked8:00 am2:00 pmTHU 25-SEPSorrento, Italy Tendered8:00 amFRI 26-SEPSorrento, Italy Tendered6:00 amFRI 26-SEPAmalfi, Italy Tendered10:00 am5:00 pmSAT 27-SEPCivitavecchia (Rome), ItalyDebark6:00 am

Doesn't indicate that the ship will be docked upon embarkation in Monte Carlo or that it will be docked upon disembarkation at Civitavecchia... But I have never seen a cruise that starts or ends at a port when tenders are required [some ports support both docking and tendering if ship traffic is heavy but turnaround ships--rather than those in transit with an intermediate call--will get dock priority]...

Logistics--especially with regard to luggage handling--just don't support use of tenders on embarkation/disembarkation days...

Edited by Xport

Doesn't indicate that the ship will be docked upon embarkation in Monte Carlo or that it will be docked upon disembarkation at Civitavecchia... But I have never seen a cruise that starts or ends at a port when tenders are required [some ports support both docking and tendering if ship traffic is heavy but turnaround ships--rather than those in transit with an intermediate call--will get dock priority]...

Logistics--especially with regard to luggage handling--just don't support use of tenders on embarkation/disembarkation days...

It will be docked for embarkation and debarkation.