Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

This thread was annoying at first now it is just right down funny. I wonder how much more we will get to play before it is shut down.

Thre has actually been some good discourse here. Very enjoyable

Ted Arison co-founded Norwegian, then he went on to create Carnival soon thereafter so comparing NCL to CCL is like comparing apples to oranges. There are so many variables involved that led to NCL's demise which cannot be attributed to Carnival in any way whatsoever; in other words they are not one in the same as you insinuate.

Agreed, but Arison did indeed have a hand in creating NCL. NCL based on an horrible business plan helped lead them to their almost demise. CCL has made some very interesting business moves themselves which has put them in a position to where there no longer competing with their peers. It remains to be seen how they will fare. Are they better off to survive bad business decisions compared to NCL? Yes, because they are just one small piece under the Carnival Corp umbrella.

Agreed but Im pointing out the perception CCL was given by the media......CCL unfairly allowed the media to publish stories about Micky at the Heat game....

Its really no surprise that the media spun the whole situation to provide the most sensation to get more ratings, unfortunately CCL/CCPLC has no control over this.

Agreed, but Arison did indeed have a hand in creating NCL. NCL based on an horrible business plan helped lead them to their almost demise. CCL has made some very interesting business moves themselves which has put them in a position to where there no longer competing with their peers. It remains to be seen how they will fare. Are they better off to survive bad business decisions compared to NCL? Yes, because they are just one small piece under the Carnival Corp umbrella.

Its not only the plan that matters but more than that is the execution of that plan, and Arison was long gone by the time NCL started their decline, while he was developing a plan and executing it over at Carnival.

It is not at all accurate to say that Carnival is no longer competing with it's peers; this seems to have been repeated multiple times on this thread but with no concrete evidence or logical reasoning.

Please do elaborate, because from what I saw Cahill did a helluva job.:confused:

Actually, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights, and made it worse when he appeared before some committee chaired by Rockefeller to talk about cruise safety.

It is not at all accurate to say that Carnival is no longer competing with it's peers; this seems to have been repeated multiple times on this thread but with no concrete evidence or logical reasoning.

I say that because I think that Carnival is no longer chasing the same customer that the competition is chasing. RCI and NCL are going after the crowd that wants the thrill a minute state fair atmosphere, while Carnival is after the folks that just want to be at sea at a less than staggering price point and don't care about the amusement park rides. Carnival conceded the mega ship contest years ago, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a different path to profitability, but Carnival has carved out a budget niche all their own and I don't think they are even playing on the same field anymore.

Actually, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights, and made it worse when he appeared before some committee chaired by Rockefeller to talk about cruise safety.

At his press conference pierside in Mobile the night they dragged Triumph into town, he really did look like he was about to cry. I was thinking to myself how ill equipped he looked to handle a crisis. I actually felt sorry for him.

At his press conference pierside in Mobile the night they dragged Triumph into town, he really did look like he was about to cry. I was thinking to myself how ill equipped he looked to handle a crisis. I actually felt sorry for him.

I had to dig deep, but I found it. Reference points is Cahill starting to talk around 31:00, talking about the Triumoh around 39:00, and his being chastised for his performance around 45:00.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?314168-1/senators-holds-oversight-hearing-cruise-industry

Its really no surprise that the media spun the whole situation to provide the most sensation to get more ratings, unfortunately CCL/CCPLC has no control over this.

Aint that the truth, because does it really matter where he was? As long as the company properly responds to the incident, who really cares where 1 guy is? Personally, I'd prefer he be at his desk making sure all compensations and assistance are getting expedited.

Oh geez. I stand up for Carnival Corp on ONE point and I'm facing the great inquisition. Dude, how does a company know that one of their captains is going to crash a ship, until they do? I'm sure that ****teno was hired on the merits of his qualifications, whatever they may be. And really? You can't spell an Italian name without it being censored? LOL

EZ4,

There's the assumption that something that needs to be censored is sure to follow....:eek:

EZ4,

There's the assumption that something that needs to be censored is sure to follow....:eek:

I realize now that I spelled his name wrong. LOL. It should've been Schettino. But, I'm Japanese so my Italian is sorely lacking. I bet it doesn't censor my name, though. 賢明

Its not only the plan that matters but more than that is the execution of that plan, and Arison was long gone by the time NCL started their decline, while he was developing a plan and executing it over at Carnival.

Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean that it is wrong?

I say that because I think that Carnival is no longer chasing the same customer that the competition is chasing. RCI and NCL are going after the crowd that wants the thrill a minute state fair atmosphere, while Carnival is after the folks that just want to be at sea at a less than staggering price point and don't care about the amusement park rides. Carnival conceded the mega ship contest years ago, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a different path to profitability, but Carnival has carved out a budget niche all their own and I don't think they are even playing on the same field anymore.

You may be right, but it could be argued that Carnival is going after a profile who is mostly, if not totally interest in price as being their major factor in deciding which cruise-line to pick. Factors which they do not consider, or think is of major importance is how crowded the ship is, how is the service, how is the quality of the food, is the entertainment good. What they want is a cheap cruise where they can relax for a week.

Certainly there is a large number of individuals out there who fit this criteria. But will Carnival be able to continue to peak with such a customer basis. This is a model which may or may not work.

You may be right, but it could be argued that Carnival is going after a profile who is mostly, if not totally interest in price as being their major factor in deciding which cruise-line to pick. Factors which they do not consider, or think is of major importance is how crowded the ship is, how is the service, how is the quality of the food, is the entertainment good. What they want is a cheap cruise where they can relax for a week.

Certainly there is a large number of individuals out there who fit this criteria. But will Carnival be able to continue to peak with such a customer basis. This is a model which may or may not work.

I think we would have a clearer picture of how successful that model is had it not been for the Concordia and Triumph issues that have clearly skewed the numbers for a couple of years. It's certainly been a bonanza for people who want low priced cruises, but I think prices will have to rise in the future for any of the cruise lines to be sustainable. I still think that Carnival has an over capacity in their market. If you look at the airline industry, they've got a desert full of idled aircraft, when they realized that by cutting back on capacity, they could raise rates to a sustainable level. I think Carnival would do well to think about that.

When you have many Carnival posters claim that there only Carnival requirement is "just get me on the ship", it no wonder this is now their target customer. Nthey don't even have to go higher than that lowest rung.

When you have many Carnival posters claim that there only Carnival requirement is "just get me on the ship", it no wonder this is now their target customer. Nthey don't even have to go higher than that lowest rung.

You miss the point again in that it is another whole ladder, not the lowest wrung of the same ladder. Having different ideas on what we enjoy doing during a cruise does not make Carnival cruisers worse off (or better) than other cruise line cruisers. You just don't get it.:(

Edited by jimbo5544

You miss the point again in that it is another whole ladder, not the lowest wrung of the same ladder. Having different ideas on what we enjoy doing during a cruise does not make Carnival cruisers worse off (or better) than other cruise line cruisers. You just don't get it.:(

Not sure why cruising would have more than one ladder. Are you saying they have sunk so low, they need a ladder of their own.

In any case, my analogy, my ladder.

Thought this was interesting when I saw it today considering what we have all been discussing in this thread. NCL introduced Norwegian NEXT today, shows just how serious NCL is when it comes to competing and trying to surpass its peers in terms of the entire guest experience. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_052014

Thought this was interesting when I saw it today considering what we have all been discussing in this thread. NCL introduced Norwegian NEXT today, shows just how serious NCL is when it comes to competing and trying to surpass its peers in terms of the entire guest experience. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_052014

Sounds like fun ship 2.0

Cruising is having to do nothing, but having plenty to do if you choose.

Cruising is a relaxing time with a beautiful view passing by just outside.

Cruising is a gentle roll and back and forth motion.

Cruising is fine food, drink, and delicious dessert.

Cruising is a comfortable room / cabin with a steward that picks up after you.

Cruising is pleasant background music soothing away thoughts of anything else.

Cruising is seeing places and doing things you don't ordinarily get to see or do.

Cruising is the feeling of being at sea.

We experienced these things on our first cruise twenty five years ago and we have experienced the same things on each cruise since. We are not looking for a new restaurant to try, a new wall to climb, a new car to smash into another car, or a cherry picker view of our ship. We'll be content to have a nice sized balcony and a lounge chair or three to sit in on our balcony.

Our experiences would be the same on Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, or other similar cruise lines. Carnival provides the one ingredient that no other cruise line can provide; proven familiarity. We know what to expect and are comfortable with what we receive. In our case Carnival cannot possibly fall behind because all we expect will always be there.

The main reason we have not sailed the largest 'greatest' ships is the same reason we tend to avoid ship excursions; we avoid the herds. Herds of people all being directed to or away from something simply to get them thru the experience....without experiencing it. Bigger is better in regards to many things in life, but in our choice of cruise ships, we want a size that will afford us the feeling of being at sea and not being herded thru.

Cruising is having to do nothing, but having plenty to do if you choose.

Cruising is a relaxing time with a beautiful view passing by just outside.

Cruising is a gentle roll and back and forth motion.

Cruising is fine food, drink, and delicious dessert.

Cruising is a comfortable room / cabin with a steward that picks up after you.

Cruising is pleasant background music soothing away thoughts of anything else.

Cruising is seeing places and doing things you don't ordinarily get to see or do.

Cruising is the feeling of being at sea.

We experienced these things on our first cruise twenty five years ago and we have experienced the same things on each cruise since. We are not looking for a new restaurant to try, a new wall to climb, a new car to smash into another car, or a cherry picker view of our ship. We'll be content to have a nice sized balcony and a lounge chair or three to sit in on our balcony.

Our experiences would be the same on Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, or other similar cruise lines. Carnival provides the one ingredient that no other cruise line can provide; proven familiarity. We know what to expect and are comfortable with what we receive. In our case Carnival cannot possibly fall behind because all we expect will always be there.

The main reason we have not sailed the largest 'greatest' ships is the same reason we tend to avoid ship excursions; we avoid the herds. Herds of people all being directed to or away from something simply to get them thru the experience....without experiencing it. Bigger is better in regards to many things in life, but in our choice of cruise ships, we want a size that will afford us the feeling of being at sea and not being herded thru.

Amen my West Virginia neighbor!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app