Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

Cruising is having to do nothing, but having plenty to do if you choose.

Cruising is a relaxing time with a beautiful view passing by just outside.

Cruising is a gentle roll and back and forth motion.

Cruising is fine food, drink, and delicious dessert.

Cruising is a comfortable room / cabin with a steward that picks up after you.

Cruising is pleasant background music soothing away thoughts of anything else.

Cruising is seeing places and doing things you don't ordinarily get to see or do.

Cruising is the feeling of being at sea.

We experienced these things on our first cruise twenty five years ago and we have experienced the same things on each cruise since. We are not looking for a new restaurant to try, a new wall to climb, a new car to smash into another car, or a cherry picker view of our ship. We'll be content to have a nice sized balcony and a lounge chair or three to sit in on our balcony.

Our experiences would be the same on Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, or other similar cruise lines. Carnival provides the one ingredient that no other cruise line can provide; proven familiarity. We know what to expect and are comfortable with what we receive. In our case Carnival cannot possibly fall behind because all we expect will always be there.

The main reason we have not sailed the largest 'greatest' ships is the same reason we tend to avoid ship excursions; we avoid the herds. Herds of people all being directed to or away from something simply to get them thru the experience....without experiencing it. Bigger is better in regards to many things in life, but in our choice of cruise ships, we want a size that will afford us the feeling of being at sea and not being herded thru.

Mikesa1721,

Nice show!

I can see why there are so many Divina sailings in your future. :) The ship certainly appears to be a viable alternative to the behemoths of Royal / Norwegian mall line.

I can respect that you know what you like and you stick with it. But, I have a couple of questions.

In your 1st post here, why do you feel the need to equate herds of people with bigger cruise ships?

Also, why does MSC Divina have to be a viable alternative to the "behemoths of Royal / Norwegian" and not just a viable cruise option?

And I have noticed a shopping area on every cruise line I've been on, including

Carnival, yet it's only other cruise lines you call malls. Why is that?

Edited by cruzfitter

While this is good for Norwegian, It is no where near as groundbreaking as Funship 2.0. FunShip 2.0 introduced groundbreaking technology with Playlist Productions and endorsements from Guy Fieri in the most popular venue at sea, Guy's Burger Joint.

You must not know much about NCL as the NEXT program going fleet wide means that not only Breakaway and Getaway but now the entire fleet will have a Carlos Bake Shop (you know from the TV show Cake Boss) , the new menus will have items inspired by Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian. I'll take production shows with a full band over playlist productions. Part of the NEXT program, NCL opened a 45,000sf facility whose sole purpose is to design the entertainment and train the performers...thats pretty impressive in and of its self.

I'm sure many can take a venue on another line and say its the most popular venue at sea as well...if you've got stats that says Guy's is i'd love to see it.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

I had heard about Tortola late last year. I was very disappointed when I had heard they had signed an exclusivity deal with NCL. Having cruised there on the Breeze a year ago, I was very impressed with an island that I thought had huge potential to benefit their visitors and the island. Locking all your fish in a barrel is a dangerous game for the island. If that trend continues it will drastically change cruising in the Caribbean as we know it and not for the better. It's a shame and I would say that if it were Carnival that did it as well.

Its understandable for private/cruise line owned properties, but I agree an island government should not limit themselves to one cruise lines. This does nothing but hurt the citizens of said country...they loose out on valuable revenue streams to help provide for themselves and their families.

The thing is if carnival would do it. You have 10 differnt brands that could visit. Kind of like Grand Turk.

Except CCL owns the pier at Grand Turk big difference. Grand Turk is one of the many reasons CCL doesn't appeal to me right now. I'm not a fan of that place and it has become a staple on CCL's Eastern Caribbean itineraries...just not enough to do there to keep my interest now that I've been to it a few times.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Except CCL owns the pier at Grand Turk big difference. Grand Turk is one of the many reasons CCL doesn't appeal to me right now. I'm not a fan of that place and it has become a staple on CCL's Eastern Caribbean itineraries...just not enough to do there to keep my interest now that I've been to it a few times.

I didnt mean that statement to be argumentative. I meant it in the since that unless an island or port could handle mutiple ships i dont see how it would benefit them. I pointed out grand Turk only because i know that all carnival brands with the exception of maybe Cunard and Seaborn visit it.

I didnt mean that statement to be argumentative. I meant it in the since that unless an island or port could handle mutiple ships i dont see how it would benefit them. I pointed out grand Turk only because i know that all carnival brands with the exception of maybe Cunard and Seaborn visit it.

I didn't take it as argumentative and agree that a country signing exclusive rights with a particular line barring others from visiting just doesn't serve the greater good of their citizens. I'd like to know what NCL paid and how it compares to what they have taken in on port fees/taxes. Whats really odd about it is that, once the Summer season comes and NCL repositions ships else where, Tortola will only have 1 call a week with Getaway and then Escape. They may do alright Fall-Spring when multiple NCL ships will make calls but it doesn't make since for Tortola when in the Summer they will only have 1 call per week.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Its much more than fleet enhancements. Its everything from upgraded entertainment that will be ship and itinerary specific as well as new destinations. NCL has signed an exclusive agreement with Tortola; is the only mainstream brand to visit Banana Coast, Honduras this year; will revamp Great Stirrup Cay which just went through a multi million dollar upgrade; and finally bring on a new private island in Belize. I may be wrong, but the NCL iConcierge App that been available on the new ships and will now be rolled out fleet wide as part of this program isn't available on any other cruise line that Im aware of. I like the fact I can book dinner, shore excursions, and check my statement from my phone anywhere on the ship at no cost/not having to buy wifi minutes.

Where did you hear about an exclusive deal with Tortola?

I did some checking and found that in January of this year they signed agreements with NCL and Disney where they promised to deliver 425,000 passengers to the island in 2015 for the next 15 years or they would have to pay for lost revenues if that quota isn't met.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

I did some checking and found that in January of this year they signed agreements with NCL and Disney where they promised to deliver 425,000 passengers to the island in 2015 for the next 15 years or they would have to pay for lost revenues if that quota isn't met.

Bill

You are correct. The article I read only stated NCL and that was published earlier this year. The final agreement per google when I searched it tonight was with NCL and Disney. Other cruise lines aren't banned from Tortola like originally reported, its just they have to buy berthing space from NCL and Disney since in a technical sense they have leased the pier from the port authority. CCL has said they would not go through NCL or Disney and thus canceled calls.

http://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?articleId=1381923234&ref=

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Bill

You are correct, I was unsure about what I remembered about the agreement. While other cruise lines may be able to buy space, we know that won't happen. Terrible deal for Tortola, hope the arrangement is not long. It was a gem stop for us it was very refreshing. Disappointing that it worked out that way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You must not know much about NCL as the NEXT program going fleet wide means that not only Breakaway and Getaway but now the entire fleet will have a Carlos Bake Shop (you know from the TV show Cake Boss) , the new menus will have items inspired by Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian. I'll take production shows with a full band over playlist productions. Part of the NEXT program, NCL opened a 45,000sf facility whose sole purpose is to design the entertainment and train the performers...thats pretty impressive in and of its self.

I'm sure many can take a venue on another line and say its the most popular venue at sea as well...if you've got stats that says Guy's is i'd love to see it.

1- Carlos Bake Shop- Extra $$$

2- Production Shows- Reservations Required

Yup, sure does sound like Freestyle Cruising to me :rolleyes:

Carnival falling behind?? Right now Im devastated, truly devastated. I have been married for 34 yrs , we have 2 great children . we started cruising with carnival probably in 2002.. we are all platinum’s, with worked hard thru that process.

Five days I found out My son booked the oasis. . yes that right , he booked with Royal.. Im confused , I do not know where I went wrong?? Felling so down, I started to do the one thing that would make me feel better… I starting looking for a cruise on the breeze. Next what happened was earth shattering . My wife was looking at NCL.. OmG! All this work , all the years all gone, stabbed in the back .. I started on anti depressants and naturally I have a meeting with my lawyer.. divorce and dropping from the will is completely in order ..

Carnival falling behind?? Right now Im devastated, truly devastated. I have been married for 34 yrs , we have 2 great children . we started cruising with carnival probably in 2002.. we are all platinum’s, with worked hard thru that process.

Five days I found out My son booked the oasis. . yes that right , he booked with Royal.. Im confused , I do not know where I went wrong?? Felling so down, I started to do the one thing that would make me feel better… I starting looking for a cruise on the breeze. Next what happened was earth shattering . My wife was looking at NCL.. OmG! All this work , all the years all gone, stabbed in the back .. I started on anti depressants and naturally I have a meeting with my lawyer.. divorce and dropping from the will is completely in order ..

My mom booked her first and only cruise on Carnival because of all the Carnival cruises I had been on. She booked the Paradise.

When she got back, she asked me what the hell was wrong with me.

Yes - Carnival is falling behind. By 2016, Carnival will no longer be the largest cruise line. They are being surpassed by RCI both in ships and passengers. So in that respect, it is undisputable fact they are falling behind.

Now on to the opinions that obviously vary. First, some of you on both sides need to get over this mentality that if your favorite line introduces something it's the greatest thing since since the creation of beer but if another line introduces it you say stupid things like "if I want that I'll stay home." Geez - that's one of the dumbest things ever said on these boards. :rolleyes:

I have been in the travel industry for a long time and attend some CLIA events. The hottest trend in mass market cruising right now is the focus on quality entertainment. For this, RCI surpassed Carnival a long time ago when they built Voyager. Now they have licensed agreements with Hairspray, Chicago, Saturday Night Fever, Mama Mia, and whatever they put on Anthem. NCL isn't far behind and they are now in an effort to upgrade their shows on their entire fleet. So again, this is an area that is undisputable. Carnival cannot touch RCI or NCL in the field of entertainment.

Ok - that satisfied that crowd. Now for the Carnival lovers. I swore off this cruise line when I cruised Dream. I was sick and tired of them making slight changes to Conquest and putting a different name on it. However, I just cruised the Breeze and my faith in Carnival was restored. The entertainment was still nothing to brag about, but getting rid of Farcus was the best thing they ever did. The ship is beautiful. It still has some major flaws due to lack of privacy on the balconies, but it is still a step in the right direction.

Yes - Carnival is falling behind. By 2016, Carnival will no longer be the largest cruise line. They are being surpassed by RCI both in ships and passengers. So in that respect, it is undisputable fact they are falling behind.

Now on to the opinions that obviously vary. First, some of you on both sides need to get over this mentality that if your favorite line introduces something it's the greatest thing since since the creation of beer but if another line introduces it you say stupid things like "if I want that I'll stay home." Geez - that's one of the dumbest things ever said on these boards. :rolleyes:

LOL, interesting post. your first point on how they are falling behind is to say that in two years in the future they will have less passengers and ships that RCCL. Not sure how to interpret that, but my guess is that they are still bigger today and the rest of 2014 and all of 2015 and up until sometime in 2016 (assuming all other things stay constant). So by your measure, they will be falling behind two years in the future....:confused: So in your logic if Carnival announces 3 new builds in the next 3 months to be built in 2018, 2019, and 2020, Carnival will bigger (better?) and RCCL will be falling behind....and it continues.

The other point I think reflects on one of my posts which you mention as one of the dumbest post ever said on these boards...(thanks for the that BTW:cool:). I will restate for all to review. My point was that I did not view second rate B class versions of a Broadway play as an enhancement. I still don't. Come up with something new as an enhancement to entertainment. It interests me not at all. If they got Frankie Valli to star in Jersey boys (although he is 80) on their ships (whomever they are) I would be impressed. I have the ability to see the real thing, why would I want to see an imitation? On a slightly more serious vein, the point is I really don't think it enhances the experience, it is not what I consider an improvement, just like adding amusement park rides, or taking way something we really enjoy, like the MDR experience? I want to go on a cruise ship and visit islands and interesting ports of call. After experiencing Oasis, I really felt like it a trip to Disney. Not falling behind in regards to that either from my perspective.

Ok - that satisfied that crowd. Now for the Carnival lovers. I swore off this cruise line when I cruised Dream. I was sick and tired of them making slight changes to Conquest and putting a different name on it. However, I just cruised the Breeze and my faith in Carnival was restored. The entertainment was still nothing to brag about, but getting rid of Farcus was the best thing they ever did. The ship is beautiful. It still has some major flaws due to lack of privacy on the balconies, but it is still a step in the right direction.

I do agree that the Breeze is a breath of fresh air. Not sure I understand the balcony privacy thing:eek:

The ship is beautiful. It still has some major flaws due to lack of privacy on the balconies, but it is still a step in the right direction.

I do agree that the Breeze is a breath of fresh air. Not sure I understand the balcony privacy thing:eek:

Yes, please explain. :confused:

So in your logic if Carnival announces 3 new builds in the next 3 months to be built in 2018, 2019, and 2020, Carnival will bigger (better?) and RCCL will be falling behind....and it continues.

I never said better. Big difference. Do not equate my use of the word bigger as anything else.

As for the rest of your post - As I can see you've done numerous times now - that is your opinion. I'm not disputing your opinion. I'm disputing the "if I wanted" comments. That is something that can be said about anything on a cruise ship - including Carnival. I could easily say if I wanted good waterslides I'd stay home instead of the smaller imitations on board. But I don't say that because it doesn't make sense. To me, anything is better out at sea than at home.

And by the way, those contracted shows on RCI are not imitations. They are 90 minute runs, produced and acted by the same companies who produce them on Broadway. I've seen Hairspray on Broadway and the Oasis version was every bit as good, if not better. In fact, I think the theater on board is more comfortable than any Broadway theater.

Yes, please explain. :confused:

Sorry - I know I was not clear on that one. I crossed 2 thoughts. First, I meant to add Carnival needs to get with the times on their balcony smoking policies. About the privacy, I was talking about the complete lack of privacy and noise on a good portion of balconies in the vicinity of the hot tubs. The hot tubs are nice to be in, but from the balcony perspective, I do not like that design.

I never said better. Big difference. Do not equate my use of the word bigger as anything else.

As for the rest of your post - As I can see you've done numerous times now - that is your opinion. I'm not disputing your opinion. I'm disputing the "if I wanted" comments. That is something that can be said about anything on a cruise ship - including Carnival. I could easily say if I wanted good waterslides I'd stay home instead of the smaller imitations on board. But I don't say that because it doesn't make sense. To me, anything is better out at sea than at home.

And by the way, those contracted shows on RCI are not imitations. They are 90 minute runs, produced and acted by the same companies who produce them on Broadway. I've seen Hairspray on Broadway and the Oasis version was every bit as good, if not better. In fact, I think the theater on board is more comfortable than any Broadway theater.

Sorry - I know I was not clear on that one. I crossed 2 thoughts. First, I meant to add Carnival needs to get with the times on their balcony smoking policies. About the privacy, I was talking about the complete lack of privacy and noise on a good portion of balconies in the vicinity of the hot tubs. The hot tubs are nice to be in, but from the balcony perspective, I do not like that design.

Thanks.

1- Carlos Bake Shop- Extra $$$

2- Production Shows- Reservations Required

Yup, sure does sound like Freestyle Cruising to me :rolleyes:

One does not have to make a reservation for shows if they do not want to. BTW CCL also charges for specialty desserts.

Touche on the better. That being said, if you think any show on any cruise ship is better (yes you did use the word this time) than it explains it all. Opinion is one thing (mine vs yours), saying a cruise ship performance is better than a Broadway performance is very funny or naive. Have you ever been to Broadway? Kind of like saying a minor league ball team is better than the Yankees. Makes no sense just from a talent perspective (and there are many others). Even if the show was close to comparable, I would not go see it on a cruise ship. That is not what cruising is about to me. Could Carnival use a shot in the arm in regards to their entertainment? Yes

Keeping up with the times regarding the smoking policy? Keeping up with who's time? Have you priced Balconies? They are sky high due to the demand for them!!!

Touche on the better. That being said, if you think any show on any cruise ship is better (yes you did use the word this time) than it explains it all. Opinion is one thing (mine vs yours), saying a cruise ship performance is better than a Broadway performance is very funny or naive. Have you ever been to Broadway? Kind of like saying a minor league ball team is better than the Yankees. Makes no sense just from a talent perspective (and there are many others). Even if the show was close to comparable, I would not go see it on a cruise ship. That is not what cruising is about to me. Could Carnival use a shot in the arm in regards to their entertainment? Yes

Without a doubt - about entertainment - I did mean to use the word better.

I lived in New York area for several years. I've been to Broadway many times. It's very expensive, commuting and parking sucks and the seating is cramped. But yes, the talent is excellent. I actually prefer Vegas over Broadway.

About the talent comment - the main characters in the 3 (soon to be 4) RCI production shows are not the usual singers and dancers. I've read their profiles and they did perform on the big stage. So its the same talent. In fact, in the inaugural season of Oasis, one of the cast members was in the movie - I don't remember which one it was though - I think it was the father.

And on that note, the main performers in the Studio B ice show and in the Aqua theater diving show are former Olympians, World Games, National Champions, etc. So how could you say the talent isn't there? :confused:

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Without a doubt - about entertainment - I did mean to use the word better.

I lived in New York area for several years. I've been to Broadway many times. It's very expensive, commuting and parking sucks and the seating is cramped. But yes, the talent is excellent. I actually prefer Vegas over Broadway.

About the talent comment - the main characters in the 3 (soon to be 4) RCI production shows are not the usual singers and dancers. I've read their profiles and they did perform on the big stage. So its the same talent. In fact, in the inaugural season of Oasis, one of the cast members was in the movie - I don't remember which one it was though - I think it was the father.

And on that note, the main performers in the Studio B ice show and in the Aqua theater diving show are former Olympians, World Games, National Champions, etc. So how could you say the talent isn't there? :confused:

Couple of comments and we can move on as we seem to disagree on pretty much everything.

I have been to shows in Vegas and Broadway, I agree there is no comparison, but not the way you think, but they are both better than a cruise ship show. I did not mention price, parking or seating in my post (so don't equate my use of talent level with your other words (sound familiar?).

While the "main players" may have been on Broadway, there is a big difference

between being in Broadway production and being the star. If you think it's the same thing, so be it.

Who said anything about an ice show? Do they have ice shows on Broadway?

Let's move on.;)