Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

Royal Caribbean had projector style outdoor movie screens in the 1970's on their new builds while Carnival was rehabbing old liners.

Please tell us about Carnivals wonderful itineraries that include Canada, South America, Bermuda, Norway, Iceland, Coastal California and Asia?

Please then go compare price per day for similar cabins and you will find Carnival and RCI are within 10% of each other, one way or the other. What ports is RCI limited to tendering that Carnival is not? Oasis and Allure do NOT tender at ANY port by the way. I agree though, the larger the ship the more limited ports it can select from.

The system is a new roll out and COULD work better, but that will get sorted out. You do NOT need reservations for dining and entertainment. They are optional and to facilitate flow and often why you encounter NO lines on Royal Carribean ships. You can step onboard with ZERO reservations and you will still eat and see shows. So you're flat wrong there.

Fair observation.

They must have painted all those people I saw waiting in the stand by line on the Oasis. I have to hand it to them, they were pretty lifelike, they looked just like real people. You are correct though, reservations are optional. There is also a reason why Oasis and Allure don't do tender ports. I will say that they do a pretty good job of getting on and off the ship both at embarkation and debarkation as well as ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimbo5544

That would be lovely. MSC Divina sailing from Miami has been leaving people jaw dropped with their production shows. NCL and RCI both have wonderful shows and entertainment. The competition is not letting up on the gas. Let's see if Carnival is ready to spend the $$$ and bring the entertainment back.

I agree they can improve entertainment, for me, off broadway shows are not the answer. If I want to see a show I will see the real thing on broadway.

This statement is technically true, and may be true if Carnival Corp. doesn't order any ships for the Carnival brand in the next five years which is highly unlikely. The most probable outcome will be that between late 2014 and mid 2015 Carnival will announce orders for Vista II & III and by that time Vista I will be fully underway (to be complete in Jan/Feb 2016). If new orders are made in that specific time frame they could be completed well before 2018 seeing as Fincantieri only has one ship on the books after 2016. Also, keep in mind it will probably be around 2021-22 before RCCL orders another ship for RCI.

Most likely true...... Carnival corp policy is two ships a year across the brands. I dont think any of the other brands have ships on order past 2016.

1. It's as simple as you think... Guy's Burger-Free Johnny Rockets-$$$

2. While RC may take over in capacity, take a look at the debt they will have.

3. Apparently, you have not seen the newest playlist productions shows, beiginning with Studio VIP, and Epic Rock. These shows are incredible and put a new and exciting twist on evening shows. Much more so than boring Broadway shows. But hey, that's just me

1 - You are comparing a self serve burger stand to a sit down meal with wait service. The food is free. The fee is the tip for the service.

2 - Someone's debt does not affect any customer. Even in the private sector, when I visit someone who fully owns their home, or owes 80% of its value.

3 - the new shows stink. Too loud. Too much strobe.

Edited by TPFKAH

Same here. It amazes me that someone can say I'm not interested in trying Epic, Getaway/Breakaway, or Oasis/Allure but they will happily sail on CCL's Dream Class...just can't wrap my mind around that!

Well, zing, you missed the point. It's gone right past you, headed into the stratosphere.

On whether Carnival is falling behind... the trend of cruise lines is to make behemoth ships with half-butted versions of activities that I can do on land and in much better quality at Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison -- all of which are an hour and a half away from me. No cruiseline can beat the theater and live music that I can get on any weekend within a short drive. No ship beats my nearby gyms, rock walls, mini-golf, and none beat the rope climbing routes that I've built in the trees of my own back yard. Not that I'm into shopping, but Michigan Avenue and State Street in Chicago totally wipe out any shop found on a luxury cruise ship. To me, most of the fluff offered on these ships is totally unrelated to any cruise that I'm interested in taking. What Carnival does offer, I tend to avoid. If you like it, enjoy.

Much as I enjoyed Dream, and even found Dancin' in the Streets to be a stellar production, my two favorite Carnival ships by far are Valor and Liberty.

And, I've frequently expressed an interest in Epic plenty of times right here on this board. I'd gladly sail any line. I have no reason to avoid any, but they will not beat the prices I've gotten on Carnival. (And for those who claim that it's easy to beat Carnival's prices, let's stop counting in the Pack and Sail specials for people lucky enough live near ports and who have wide open dates for vacation; be real, most people have job commitments and need to fly or drive many hundreds of miles to get to a port -- putting in a vacation request as long as a year out, booking flights, etc.)

My last 7 day solo cruise on Carnival with price drops was less than $400, and it was booked 9 or 10 months out. No solo supplement. No Pack and Sail. Great deal, that I've never seen the likes of on another line.

Do you hear how you people sound? Lol just let it go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

But just look at how much harmless fun everybody is having. Something that has been in short supply in recent years. There's a reason that this thread stays on the first page. ;)

1 - You are comparing a self serve burger stand to a sit down meal with wait service. The food is free. The fee is the tip for the service.

2 - Someone's debt does not affect any customer. Even in the private sector, when I visit someone who fully owns their home, or owes 80% of its value.

I have to say Guys Burgers are wayyyyyy better that Johnny Rockets. I'll take self serve any day.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Well, zing, you missed the point. It's gone right past you, headed into the stratosphere.

On whether Carnival is falling behind... the trend of cruise lines is to make behemoth ships with half-butted versions of activities that I can do on land and in much better quality at Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison -- all of which are an hour and a half away from me. No cruiseline can beat the theater and live music that I can get on any weekend within a short drive. No ship beats my nearby gyms, rock walls, mini-golf, and none beat the rope climbing routes that I've built in the trees of my own back yard. Not that I'm into shopping, but Michigan Avenue and State Street in Chicago totally wipe out any shop found on a luxury cruise ship. To me, most of the fluff offered on these ships is totally unrelated to any cruise that I'm interested in taking. What Carnival does offer, I tend to avoid. If you like it, enjoy.

Much as I enjoyed Dream, and even found Dancin' in the Streets to be a stellar production, my two favorite Carnival ships by far are Valor and Liberty.

And, I've frequently expressed an interest in Epic plenty of times right here on this board. I'd gladly sail any line. I have no reason to avoid any, but they will not beat the prices I've gotten on Carnival. (And for those who claim that it's easy to beat Carnival's prices, let's stop counting in the Pack and Sail specials for people lucky enough live near ports and who have wide open dates for vacation; be real, most people have job commitments and need to fly or drive many hundreds of miles to get to a port -- putting in a vacation request as long as a year out, booking flights, etc.)

My last 7 day solo cruise on Carnival with price drops was less than $400, and it was booked 9 or 10 months out. No solo supplement. No Pack and Sail. Great deal, that I've never seen the likes of on another line.

As has been mentioned multiple times you can find a fare on one of the other lines thats very comparable and sometimes cheaper than what CCL offers. A few pages back I even did a price comparison with no special rates and just the base fare between the Getaway and Conquest, and guess what Getaway was cheaper.

I'm glad, you have the option to have all those activities/attractions you can find on a ship so close to you. In rural upstate, SC we don't. So forgive me if I take these things into consideration when Im trying to plan a great vacation for my family.

Most likely true...... Carnival corp policy is two ships a year across the brands. I dont think any of the other brands have ships on order past 2016.

When did this policy go into effect? CCL and Carnival Corp up until a couple of years had a huge number of ships on order for more than two brands and then nothing...

When did this policy go into effect? CCL and Carnival Corp up until a couple of years had a huge number of ships on order for more than two brands and then nothing...

It is in the press release that announced vista and the new HAL ship. Mickey arison and arnold Donald have both said it in press interviews too.

It is in the press release that announced vista and the new HAL ship. Mickey arison and arnold Donald have both said it in press interviews too.

They've really dialed it back then, because just a few years ago it wasn't uncommon for multiple lines to have 2-4 ships in the pipeline, each.

They've really dialed it back then, because just a few years ago it wasn't uncommon for multiple lines to have 2-4 ships in the pipeline, each.

Thats what I was thinking and thus asked they question. Hope it didn't come across as an attack on CCL or kybluecruisers. I just knew a couple of years ago CCL, Costa, Aida, and Princess all had several ships on order. Interesting they have scaled back the new building so much. I would have never thought I'd live to see the day where CCL didn't take a new ship every year. I would have called someone a liar in say 2010 had someone told me it would be 4 yrs between CCL's last ship and their newest one.

Just read a story that RCCL is planning to build and launch Oasis III and IV. In their press release they state that these new ships will be even more inovative thant the Allure and Oasis of the Seas. In addition, there is much publicity and news about the Quantum of the Seas. NCL has also recently come out with some new and inovative ships.

Carnival used to be the leader in building new and innovative ships such as the Conquest Class. They fell behind with ships like the Breeze and Dream which were little more than larger ships to carry large number of cruisers.

I feel that Carnival has lost its edge and in an attempt to be the Cheapest Cruise Line at sea. They can no longer compare with their competittiors such as RCCL and NCL.

What are your thoughts. Is price the only thing that Carnival should care or worry about?

My 2 cents, I like both CCL and RCL, and don't want them to compete in the same direction. I find that the Best Western and Marriott hotels have their uses, at different times, in different locations. For us it's itinerary first, amenities and price 2nd.

I also couldn't care less about Quantum, especially without a MDR. Oasis looks fun, but it's too giant for most ports, and we've already been to the ones in the Caribbean. Maybe someday if the price drops in Europe, but it's not a big deal either way.

We're actually eyeballing Holland America's exotic itineraries, so if anything, I wouldn't mind a few more smaller ships. We picked the Elation to see Progreso Mexico, and a couple new fantasy sized ships going on 7+ day tours would have an edge.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I agree they can improve entertainment, for me, off broadway shows are not the answer. If I want to see a show I will see the real thing on broadway.

at least the 2nd time on this thread you've said that. Not everybody can easily go see a show on Broadway

"Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

With the major change in leadership at Carnival, I, for one, think the company is merely taking stock in who they are, where they are in the marketplace and what their future plans should be.

It was a couple of rocky years, but the new leadership is working to steer the company into tomorrow with an emphasis on matching costs with the basic core product.

We sail multiple lines. We have seen tons of changes, some good, some very poorly implemented. Carnival is not heading in the wrong direction, merely being sure the direction they head is the right one.

1. It's as simple as you think... Guy's Burger-Free Johnny Rockets-$$$

2. While RC may take over in capacity, take a look at the debt they will have.

3. Apparently, you have not seen the newest playlist productions shows, beiginning with Studio VIP, and Epic Rock. These shows are incredible and put a new and exciting twist on evening shows. Much more so than boring Broadway shows. But hey, that's just me

I fail to see what amount of debt a company has impacts me at all or my decision on who to cruise with. Many large companies carry very high debt.

Regardless of what people here want to say, one line is not better then another. It is all about preference. For example someone may say Cunard is the best but it wouldn't be to me as I don't want to have to dress up all the time.

at least the 2nd time on this thread you've said that. Not everybody can easily go see a show on Broadway

My opinion, I think that is what we all post here. Pretty sure I am not the lead in multiple posts here.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

For the last time, you can call it any thing you like. Royal is 7 bucks. Carnivals Guys is free.

For the last time, you can call it any thing you like. Royal is 7 bucks. Carnivals Guys is free.

Carnival is a fast learner. Seuss breakfast is $5. Can Paula Deen grits be far behind, y'all?