Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

Not interested in cruising mega-ships, nor most of the highly touted add-ons.

This is hardly any different than taking a giant resort, cutting it loose from the mainland and setting sail -- and calling that a cruise. Some might enjoy it. I don't. If I ever had a hankering for that kind of vacation, I'd probably look at other cruise lines (and I'd plan on being flat broke for a year or two to cover the added cost!)

Carnival offers good accommodations, good food, good service -- and amazingly enough -- the same high quality views of the seas and the sunsets as cruiselines charging two to five times the price for the same itineraries.

This is hardly any different than taking a giant resort, cutting it loose from the mainland and setting sail -- and calling that a cruise. Some might enjoy it. I don't. If I ever had a hankering for that kind of vacation, I'd probably look at other cruise lines (and I'd plan on being flat broke for a year or two to cover the added cost!)

Carnival offers good accommodations, good food, good service -- and amazingly enough -- the same high quality views of the seas and the sunsets as cruiselines charging two to five times the price for the same itineraries.

I remember thinking the same thing till I tried another line.

I remember thinking the same thing till I tried another line.

Same here. It amazes me that someone can say I'm not interested in trying Epic, Getaway/Breakaway, or Oasis/Allure but they will happily sail on CCL's Dream Class...just can't wrap my mind around that!

As has been stated a number of time you can cruise NCL or RCI for roughly the same price. CCL isn't as much cheaper as a lot of posters make them out to be. Earlier in the thread I did a price comparison. My 6/28/14 cruise on Getaway is CHEAPER than a cruise on the Conquest. New ships vs. old ship, the choice was easy for me, and not to mention it comes with the great product NCL is currently offering.

Many of these things your attacking these "mega ships," for having, you don't seem to mind that CCL's Dream class has many of the same features...

Same here. It amazes me that someone can say I'm not interested in trying Epic, Getaway/Breakaway, or Oasis/Allure but they will happily sail on CCL's Dream Class...just can't wrap my mind around that!

I can't wrap my head around why you think it is strange. My perspective or yours or anyone else's is just that - their perspective. I have sailed Oasis and cannot wait to get back to Carnival. It just was not what I wanted out of my cruise experience, more like a Disney vacation.

To be happy where you are and not want to reach out because you don't think you would like a mega ship is fine - or the opposite. I have seen many posters on the Royal site who would never want to venture to try Carnival. Whether or not I think they are making their decision to stay is right or wrong, I respect their choice.

I can't wrap my head around why you think it is strange. My perspective or yours or anyone else's is just that - their perspective. I have sailed Oasis and cannot wait to get back to Carnival. It just was not what I wanted out of my cruise experience, more like a Disney vacation.

To be happy where you are and not want to reach out because you don't think you would like a mega ship is fine - or the opposite. I have seen many posters on the Royal site who would never want to venture to try Carnival. Whether or not I think they are making their decision to stay is right or wrong, I respect their choice.

But you tried Oasis, so that's different. What I'm curious about is people who say that who have never tried the big ships of another cruise line. What makes them say that? What is it specifically about Breakaway, Epic, Voyager, Freedom, Oasis, Quantum...all of which are different from one another, that makes someone who loves Dream not want to book any of them? :confused:

And I'll ask you what I asked another Dream cruiser earlier who never responded. Why not? what do you see as so much worse than Dream Class? :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

The difference is judging by your signature you have branched out tried other lines and ships, and have chosen to come back to CCL. The poster(s) I was referring to if you look at their signature have only been on CCL but want to make outlandish statements about a ship or product they have never tried.

You have valid remarks and opinions because you TRIED the other product, many of these other posters want to degrade another product like they have first hand experience on that product when in reality they have never set foot on it. Thats the difference. I respect everything you have said because you gave it a try while others make comments like "oh its way to crowded," or "it had nothing on there that appealed to me," well how do they know when every cruise that they have taken is on CCL. Yes Oasis and Allure are MUCH bigger than anything CCL offers, but Getaway, Breakaway, and Epic while bigger aren't much bigger than the dream class, so for someone to say they would never cruise on a ship like that because of its size is laughable when they will go spend a week on one of CCL's Dream class vessels.

I have been on Allure and Epic and have Getaway coming up soon. Just because I have enjoyed my "Mega Ship" cruises doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the others. IMHO you can't get much better than CCL's Spirit class vessels...the design of those ships is unlike anything else CCL offers. Its really a shame they didn't base more new builds after that design instead on the 1996 Destiny design. That said, when traveling with children, groups, or families you can't beat NCL's or RCI's larger and newer ships with their unmatched amenities that CCL can't compete with.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

But you tried Oasis, so that's different. What I'm curious about is people who say that who have never tried the big ships of another cruise line. What makes them say that? I know I'm hesitant to book Dream Class...not because it's a big ship, but because of reported crowding problems. What is it specifically about Breakaway, Epic, Voyager, Freedom, Oasis, Quantum...all of which are different from one another, that makes someone who loves Dream not want to book any of them? :confused:

And I'll ask you what I asked another Dream cruiser earlier who never responded. Why not? what do you see as so much worse than Dream Class? :confused:

True enough. But I still can see the logic that with all the bells and buzzers and whistles that a mega ship like the Oasis brings to the table are not enticing to some people or even wanted. I think we all recognize that by sailing on these ships, we are paying for all those extras. Having merry go rounds, ejector pods (or whatever it is supposed to be on Quantum), sky diving machines, flow riders, ice skating rinks, just simply do not appeal to what some think is a relaxing cruise vacation.

The same could be said for free style dining on NCL. Some people are totally turned off with idea that the majority of eateries are for pay (like the Quantum has as well now they say). They long for the MDR experience and not paying extra. I can go on but hopefully have made my point.

As has been stated a number of time you can cruise NCL or RCI for roughly the same price. CCL isn't as much cheaper as a lot of posters make them out to be. Earlier in the thread I did a price comparison. My 6/28/14 cruise on Getaway is CHEAPER than a cruise on the Conquest. New ships vs. old ship, the choice was easy for me, and not to mention it comes with the great product NCL is currently offering.

Many of these things your attacking these "mega ships," for having, you don't seem to mind that CCL's Dream class has many of the same features...

This statement, while it may true at times, is dependant on when you sail and where. I don't limit myself to CCL and look at all cruise lines when planning a vacation. We are however limited on when we can cruise most the time so I have to look for specific dates. The Majority of the times when I do a search like this, I find the ships that meet my timing needs at the lowest prices are CCL. Now we don't always choose CCL if budget is not one of our final deciding factors...that may be the ship or itinerary or embarkation port. But that doesn't change the fact that when I do the searching CCL normally comes in at a lower price. If you have flexibility in your schedule that may not be as true for you as it is for me. But I can definately say it is not the norm for me to see what you are talking about on my searches.

The difference is judging by your signature you have branched out tried other lines and ships, and have chosen to come back to CCL. The poster(s) I was referring to if you look at their signature have only been on CCL but want to make outlandish statements about a ship or product they have never tried.

You have valid remarks and opinions because you TRIED the other product, many of these other posters want to degrade another product like they have first hand experience on that product when in reality they have never set foot on it. Thats the difference. I respect everything you have said because you gave it a try while others make comments like "oh its way to crowded," or "it had nothing on there that appealed to me," well how do they know when every cruise that they have taken is on CCL. Yes Oasis and Allure are MUCH bigger than anything CCL offers, but Getaway, Breakaway, and Epic while bigger aren't much bigger than the dream class, so for someone to say they would never cruise on a ship like that because of its size is laughable when they will go spend a week on one of CCL's Dream class vessels.

I have and been on the others you have mentioned (although not cruised them). Listen, I get your point about not sailing them to experience it to see if you like it. The truth of the matter (and I also understand how good a job Royal has done with common space) is that they don't want those extras, they want a chair and drink. They (not sure why I am talking about somebody in the third person) don'r even really like the Dream class. Spirit class is probably the most revered class of ship by Carnival cruisers (around 88,000 tons). For some it is even a Fantasy class of ship.

31 with just Carnival and we will stay mostly with them. December will be Diamond.

Every so often RCCL just for a change of ports.

Remember one very important difference is the size of the carnival state rooms. Most are far larger than the other lines. I am saying most.

I do early booking so I always end up with a fantastic price. Constantly checking for a decrease in price. Might be only $50.00 but it has been as high as $600.00 plus the difference in tax.

So it certainly pays to do the homework.

Personally the two CCL & RCCL cater to younger passengers and that is great.

So many other lines cater to the elderly and that is fine also. But not for me. I am 68 and normally not mix with the elderly. Many have No excitement in there bones :-)

This statement, while it may true at times, is dependant on when you sail and where. I don't limit myself to CCL and look at all cruise lines when planning a vacation. We are however limited on when we can cruise most the time so I have to look for specific dates. The Majority of the times when I do a search like this, I find the ships that meet my timing needs at the lowest prices are CCL. Now we don't always choose CCL if budget is not one of our final deciding factors...that may be the ship or itinerary or embarkation port. But that doesn't change the fact that when I do the searching CCL normally comes in at a lower price. If you have flexibility in your schedule that may not be as true for you as it is for me. But I can definately say it is not the norm for me to see what you are talking about on my searches.

Maybe its because I never book a cruise long term out? I book no more than two months in advance. Since I'm a flight crew member, and I have the luxury that my family and I fly for free I don't have to book in advance to lock in airfare like the most of you do. For example, I booked my Easter Epic cruise 3 weeks before sailing, and my Getaway cruise was just purchased last week. While NCL has become my preferred line, I always price around with CCL as they offer airline employees an interline rate. Even with my interline rate with CCL (NCL doesn't offer one), the Getaway cost me less than the Conquest. Since Getaway is on NCL which has become my preferred line, its brand new vs. a ship that debuted in 2002, it was an each decision for me.

I guess because I don't book far out in advance is maybe why NCL and RCI are always in the same ball park as CCL. Just a guess but every time I start to look at booking a cruise all the lines are in the same price range.

True enough. But I still can see the logic that with all the bells and buzzers and whistles that a mega ship like the Oasis brings to the table are not enticing to some people or even wanted. I think we all recognize that by sailing on these ships, we are paying for all those extras. Having merry go rounds, ejector pods (or whatever it is supposed to be on Quantum), sky diving machines, flow riders, ice skating rinks, just simply do not appeal to what some think is a relaxing cruise vacation.

The same could be said for free style dining on NCL. Some people are totally turned off with idea that the majority of eateries are for pay (like the Quantum has as well now they say). They long for the MDR experience and not paying extra. I can go on but hopefully have made my point.

True. But couldn't that also be said about the 5D movies, ropes course and waterslides on Dream? You and I both know those are only extras and a relaxing cruise can still be had. That's why I'm specifically asking Dream cruisers why they have no interest in trying the larger ships of other lines (not just Oasis).

Ref your NCL comment...now THAT makes total sense. Freestyle is a totally different way of doing things, not just an ammenity, and I know first hand it doesn't always work so well. That, right there, is what I would consider to be a legitimate concern for not trying another line.

As has been stated a number of time you can cruise NCL or RCI for roughly the same price. CCL isn't as much cheaper as a lot of posters make them out to be.

No kidding. I just got a slap of reality. I'm considering a Breeze cruise and on the surface, it looks a lot cheaper than comparable cruises. But that's only if you're willing to book a GTY and don't care where your room is. Try to pick your room or even move up from deck 2 and the prices aren't so attractive anymore.

Edited by Aquahound

True. But couldn't that also be said about the 5D movies, ropes course and waterslides on Dream? You and I both know those are only extras and a relaxing cruise can still be had. That's why I'm specifically asking Dream cruisers why they have no interest in trying the larger ships of other lines (not just Oasis).

Ref your NCL comment...now THAT makes total sense. Freestyle is a totally different way of doing things, not just an ammenity, and I know first hand it doesn't always work so well. That, right there, is what I would consider to be a legitimate concern for not trying another line.

No kidding. I just got a slap of reality. I'm considering a Breeze cruise and on the surface, it looks a lot cheaper than comparable cruises. But that's only if you're willing to book a GTY and don't care where your room is. Try to pick your room or even move up from deck 2 and the prices aren't so attractive anymore.

I hated the thought of Freestyle Cruising until I actually tried it. After trying it, we love it.

Glad Im not the only one who sees NCL, RCI, and CCL all similarly priced. I never book GTY. I want my balcony on the port side so I always pick my own stateroom and all 3 lines are always within $50pp of one another. As long as that remains the case, CCL will not be getting my business unless they begin to make some changes that appeal to me.

This is what I have been trying to point out to them too. While I WANT to try other lines, and have, I can easily see why some, who are satisfied with what they get on CCL have no desire to sail the other lines. People know what they enjoy. If they know that those things being offered on those ships hold no interest for them why would they choose to sail that ship vs. what they know and love? Why can't they state on these boards that those types of things hold no value to them without getting slammed for it and told they shouldn't even be in the discussion? A carousel, production play, and an ice rink is the same on land as it is as sea....they would know if that is something that interests them on a cruise vacation or not. It is just their opinion, it may be different from what you may think, but that doesn't make it wrong...and there is nothing wrong with anyone stating their opinion. We all are doing it.

I'll agree Freestyle is a little scary if you have never tried it, but the truth of the matter is NCL still has 2 free main dinning rooms, the Garden Cafe is arguably the best buffet offered by any mainstream line (my opinion, I know), then you still have burgers and pizza, not to mention depending on the ship you have Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans. Truth of the matter is NCL has just as many free eateries if not more than the other lines. Yes, if you want Italian, French, Brazilian, Mexican, Japanese style restaurants you pay for it. The same is true on the other lines, CCL charges for their specialty restaurants as does RCI.

I'll say this in regards to comments about having to wait on a table for the MDR on NCL. I've only had to do that one time, and while we waited 5 minutes for that table they provided us with free drinks and snacks. Freestyle has worked great for us, now Im sure its not perfect and has it problems, its just that we have never experienced them. Just like many have never had a problem with dinning on CCL or RCI, I can say the dinning experience on my last 3 CCL cruises was one of the leading factors that got me to look elsewhere.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Maybe its because I never book a cruise long term out? I book no more than two months in advance. Since I'm a flight crew member, and I have the luxury that my family and I fly for free I don't have to book in advance to lock in airfare like the most of you do. For example, I booked my Easter Epic cruise 3 weeks before sailing, and my Getaway cruise was just purchased last week. While NCL has become my preferred line, I always price around with CCL as they offer airline employees an interline rate. Even with my interline rate with CCL (NCL doesn't offer one), the Getaway cost me less than the Conquest. Since Getaway is on NCL which has become my preferred line, its brand new vs. a ship that debuted in 2002, it was an each decision for me.

I guess because I don't book far out in advance is maybe why NCL and RCI are always in the same ball park as CCL. Just a guess but every time I start to look at booking a cruise all the lines are in the same price range.

That is very possible. In a few more years we may have the ability of booking that close to sail date, but now that is rarity. The closest we got was our last Princess cruise at 6 weeks out and then we didn't have the kids with us. They are now old enough to stay home by themselves so that just started to give us a little more flexibility with adult vacations. For our family vacations booking that close is impossible. Our vacations have to be during high school and university breaks which are not necessarily the same. Those weeks available are in high demand where DH works so he has to put in to get them off in October for the next year. We are then limited even more due to DD's Competitive Dance Schedule and Nationals in the summer and my work where I can't take off the first 2 weeks of the month. You put all that together and we have very limited times we can work with....and like I said before, CCL usually comes in with the lowest prices during those times. We do sail other lines, but they are usually not the lowest for the period we are looking at.

It could be people are comfortable with the cruise line they like. I havent been on RCI big ships just enchantment of the seas. Which size wize is somewhere between the fantasy class and spirit class. I personally just like carnival better. I know what is going to happen and when it is going to happen. Some may call it

complacency. I call it just sticking to what i like. Same thing with my cars. I i am a ford man. Always have been always will be. Lol. So why not sail on RCI BIGGER ships if you sail on dream class? Myabe because though the dream class is bigger as will be the new vista class. I still know it will be just like my cruise on the Carnival fantasy. I like carnival are there things i wish they would change. You betcha. Like the nasty lasagna they serve in the mdr lol. However it is what i am comfortable with and it is what i like. Why change when there is no need in changing lines.

As has been stated a number of time you can cruise NCL or RCI for roughly the same price. CCL isn't as much cheaper as a lot of posters make them out to be. Earlier in the thread I did a price comparison. My 6/28/14 cruise on Getaway is CHEAPER than a cruise on the Conquest. .

I don't know what the price difference between CCL and RCI typically is, but I can tell you the reason I will be going on my first Carnival cruise in July is because of the large disparity in price. I have always sailed RCI and was going to again, but the price for the Explorer cruise is $1100.00 more for the three of us than for the Splendor ship. I had to cruise during a specific time in July and wanted to sail out of NY/NJ. The Explorer is an older ship than the Splendor so I think it's a pretty fair comparison. The rooms are the same size but the balcony on the Splendor is much much larger (it is a wrap balcony). It is true that the Explorer is one extra day as it's a 9 day cruise compared to 8 days on the Splendor, but $1100.00 is a big difference, especially considering that includes the upgrade to the wrap balcony.

I have no idea if my situation is typical or if this is an aberration, but thanks to the large price discrepancy I will be enjoying my first Carnival cruise in July.

There are some on Dream class ships, for the record, the Dream only has a slide (hardly the same thing) the Magic a rope course and a slide and the Breeze all three. But there is really no comparison to these items and what you find on Oasis and more specifically Quantum (and that was the intent of my post ... innovation along these lines).

I'll agree Freestyle is a little scary if you have never tried it, but the truth of the matter is NCL still has 2 free main dinning rooms, the Garden Cafe is arguably the best buffet offered by any mainstream line (my opinion, I know), then you still have burgers and pizza, not to mention depending on the ship you have Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans. Truth of the matter is NCL has just as many free eateries if not more than the other lines. Yes, if you want Italian, French, Brazilian, Mexican, Japanese style restaurants you pay for it. The same is true on the other lines, CCL charges for their specialty restaurants as does RCI.

I'll say this in regards to comments about having to wait on a table for the MDR on NCL. I've only had to do that one time, and while we waited 5 minutes for that table they provided us with free drinks and snacks. Freestyle has worked great for us, now Im sure its not perfect and has it problems, its just that we have never experienced them. Just like many have never had a problem with dinning on CCL or RCI, I can say the dinning experience on my last 3 CCL cruises was one of the leading factors that got me to look elsewhere.

I happen to like the choices, it would not be a detraction for me. I was merely pointing out how some felt. My drawback on NCL is room size and the smallest hallways I have ever seen (and the Epic is just butt ugly;)). Again, it is buyers choice on all fronts.

I happen to like the choices, it would not be a detraction for me. I was merely pointing out how some felt. My drawback on NCL is room size and the smallest hallways I have ever seen (and the Epic is just butt ugly;)). Again, it is buyers choice on all fronts.

Epic is well...different thats for sure!

I guess I've read enough without many comments. DW and I are Platinum on CL and RCI. We also normally book within 2 months of sail date, often less. We look for Ports we can drive to 1st, then branch out from there. Usually CCL has been the cheapest by a good margin, but last September we sailed Freedom of the Seas in a JS for $100pp cheaper than an OS on the Dream, both from Canaveral. Did we use the flow rider or rock wall, nope, but still had a great cruise. We like both lines, but we mainly love to cruise to relax, not necessarily the Ports. The lines are very similar, they just offer different amenities to us. And as someone else pointed out, "one persons perspective is their reality."

This is what I have been trying to point out to them too. While I WANT to try other lines, and have, I can easily see why some, who are satisfied with what they get on CCL have no desire to sail the other lines. People know what they enjoy. If they know that those things being offered on those ships hold no interest for them why would they choose to sail that ship vs. what they know and love? Why can't they state on these boards that those types of things hold no value to them without getting slammed for it and told they shouldn't even be in the discussion? A carousel, production play, and an ice rink is the same on land as it is as sea....they would know if that is something that interests them on a cruise vacation or not. It is just their opinion, it may be different from what you may think, but that doesn't make it wrong...and there is nothing wrong with anyone stating their opinion. We all are doing it.

I think you missed the spirit of my question. First, I never "slammed" anyone and please show me where I said they shouldn't be part of the discussion. In fact, I was inviting discussion and if you go back and look at how I first worded it yesterday, I started my question with "I ask this with all sincerity." I don't know how that could taken as an insult. :confused:

But also, if you go back and look, my first question wasn't to someone who said they preferred the Dream Class amenities over those of another ship. That would make sense to me. Rather, it was to someone who gave other ships a derogatory label and said they had no interest in mega ships....someone who sailed the Dream twice. I just wanted to hear their reasoning.

I ask this with all sincerity. According to your sig, you've sailed Dream twice. How could anyone who is attracted to Carnival's Dream Class make such a statement about another line's large ships? That makes no sense to me. :confused: What would attract you to a ship like Dream, but you would find so unattractive about Voyager, Freedom, Quantum or even Oasis?
Edited by Aquahound

I think you missed the spirit of my question. First, I never "slammed" anyone and please show me where I said they shouldn't be part of the discussion. In fact, I was inviting discussion and if you go back and look at how I first worded it yesterday, I started my question with "I ask this with all sincerity." I don't know how that could taken as an insult. :confused:

But also, if you go back and look, my first question wasn't to someone who said they preferred the Dream Class amenities over those of another ship. That would make sense to me. Rather, it was to someone who gave other ships a derogatory label and said they had no interest in mega ships....someone who sailed the Dream twice. I just wanted to hear their reasoning.

Thats what I've been asking, how can anyone like the dream class but yet make crazy remarks about Oasis/Allure/Breakaway/Getaway, etc...