Wine Package

VickiD59

My original question was to give information to the wine drinkers in our group - previous cruises (not NCL) each passenger 21 and over was able to carry on (2) bottles of wine with no corkage fee. Technically, if the wine was brought to the MDR and uncorked there, they could've charged a 10.00 (at the time) corkage fee, but we never had that happen.

The NCL price list is inflated compared to local shelf prices, but it does save the lugging of bottles, plus the additional 15.00 fee. I personally wouldn't bother, and I'd just buy a bottle at a time for dinner if I was so inclined - I think the Viva Vino package is the way to go for them for sure. I'm all for less hassle and lugging :rolleyes:

For those of us who really enjoy our daily wine, it is the only way to do; for those who are casual wine drinkers, a glass or a bottle at a time works well, like you said.

Now, as for being able to bring wine on, even a couple of bottles, I don't know how long ago you cruised or what line, but the policies keep changing monthly it seems. Some lines are allowing no wine to be brought on, I think Princess still allows as much as you want and I don't think any line charges only $10 corkage fee; some are up to $20 or more. Yes, the prices are inflated on cruise lines (all lines) just like in land restaurants. I shuttle when I see the price of a bottle of wine at a middle of the road restaurant or the cost of a glass of decent but basic wine. $8 to $11 a glass for a wine that sells for maybe $9 on the shelf.

To reinforce the observation that every cruise line is different:

On Oceania Cruise Line earlier this year, we could bring wine aboard without corkage fee to drink only in the cabin. If we wanted to drink it anywhere else there was a $25 corkage fee.

Tom

our experience has been it is only available or advertised the first day or so. Yes, you can select a variety of wines from a single group, but you can't take one bottle from the budget group, one from another and then another. All bottles need to be from the same category.

They don't have to be from the same group. You pay the price for the highest group you select from.

I do this every time. I buy the middle group, but my wife likes the Pinot Grigio from the cheapest group. It's never been a problem.

It was Carnival; July 2012 - as previously mentioned, 2 bottles are allowed per passenger 21+ in carry-on, no corkage fee unless opened by your waitstaff in the MDR, then the fee was 10.00.

In the past two years that may have changed as well.

Pretty sure NCL's policy has been the same since we started with them 8 years ago.

$15 per 750ml bottle. No limit. No matter where you drink it.

By the way, we were on another line, and it was a 2 bottle limit, and ONLY the original port. That sucked.

Edited by garycarla

Princess allows each adult to bring one bottle of wine on the ship with no corkage fee charged, additional bottles are charged $15 each, no matter where you drink them on the ship. Our last Princess cruise was January of this year. You are also allowed to bring on bottles of wine from any port, but if they happen to be scanning, you will be charged $15 per bottle if you have already carried on your free bottles.

you always have been able to, but you pay a $15 corkage fee when you board the ship, regardless as to where you drink your wine. We used to do this all the time, now, with the wine package we no longer bother bringing it on. When you figure $15 per bottle, the extra weight, the bother, etc. we will just continue to get the package. As for reimbursing the $15 a bottle, good for NCL, but we always find a way to drink every drop we can.

We buy the wine package for me as the DH usually does not have any excpet sometimes a glass at dinner. The only reason we buy the package is we are usually too lazy to go shopping after we get to the embarkation city. The wines are not my wines of choice but it convenient. We never have not one drop left either. :D

It was Carnival; July 2012 - as previously mentioned, 2 bottles are allowed per passenger 21+ in carry-on, no corkage fee unless opened by your waitstaff in the MDR, then the fee was 10.00.

In the past two years that may have changed as well.

The DD and I will be on Carnival in July and we will be carrying on the one bottle each (that is the rule now). I was very excited about being able to drink my favorite wine onboard.

This being our first cruise with NCL can anyone please tell me help me with a few questions I have....

1. Do all the wines have to be the same, or can you mix and match?

2. Can you request your wine anywhere on the ship?

3. Are the packages only available on the first day, or throughout the cruise?

Thank you!

1) Yes you can mix and match but will pay for the wines in the highest category.

Note you must buy the bottles in increments of 2-4-6-8 etc.

The way to defeat this buy 2 of more (even) bottles in the inexpensive

category and then go back and buy 2 or more bottles on the expensive list.

Make this two or more transactions.

Don't buy all the wines at the same time inflating the price of the least

expensive wines to the level of the expensive ones.

2) You can drink your wine anywhere on the ship - normally the Viva Vino

sales stewards will give you little white pieces of paper with your wine selection

noted - take these anywhere about the ship bar/restaurant/specialty restaurant

and when ready to drink give the waiter one or more of the slips and your

wine will be uncorked and served. If you want to have one or more bottles in

your cabin then make arrangements to have the bottles brought to your cabin

AND DON'T FORGET THE CORK SCREW !

3) I was under the assumption that you had to purchase the Viva Vino package

the first day or so but a previous post by garycarla notes that you can get the

package later in the voyage - best to ask the first day and then with that

information buy now or later - could be a different policy by ship.

If you are into wine drinking big time check out or consider the "Corks & Caps"

program (wine & beer package). Expensive YES but may be more convenient

in the long run.

YMMV

So clink the glasses and toast your cruise - have a great time !

Princess allows each adult to bring one bottle of wine on the ship with no corkage fee charged, additional bottles are charged $15 each, no matter where you drink them on the ship. Our last Princess cruise was January of this year. You are also allowed to bring on bottles of wine from any port, but if they happen to be scanning, you will be charged $15 per bottle if you have already carried on your free bottles.

Holland-America Westerdam, Alaska 06/11

Brought 4 bottles of booze onboard - 2 were wine and 2 hard stuff.

No one batted an eye or said anything.

Carnival Victory, Southern Caribbean 02/09

Smuggled 4 bottles on board and security was not the least bit concerned

EXCEPT FOR MY SWISS ARMY KNIFE "WMD" WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION !

Those darn corkscrews can really do a number on those hard to open wine bottles !

But the steak knives in the MDR well you could perform major surgery with

these compared to the wood carving Swiss knife - of course they heard that

MacGyver was going to be on board - so they had a hit squad out for me !

Really I don't know why the cruise lines do not have a liquor store on board

NO not the duty free type but a simple one that once away from the pier you

can walk in and buy off the shelf what suits your pleasure and take it to your

own cabin for consumption. Yes they have something of that sort but you have

to jump through hoops and perform timely purchases before the cruise in order

to pass the alcoholic muster of outrageous prices !

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid and less expensive !

Pretty sure NCL's policy has been the same since we started with them 8 years ago.

$15 per 750ml bottle. No limit. No matter where you drink it.

By the way, we were on another line, and it was a 2 bottle limit, and ONLY the original port. That sucked.

New to NCL and just assumed with the talk about scanning, carry-on vs. checked luggage, and marking bottles that carrying-on wine for onboard consumption was only processed at embarkation. Good to know I can pick up a local taste along the way and enjoy it on the ship.

...Really I don't know why the cruise lines do not have a liquor store on board...

Same reason that ______ do not have it.

Theatre

Restaurant

Local Bar

Sports Events

Concert Events

Hotels

etc

etc

Same reason that ______ do not have it.

Theatre

Restaurant

Local Bar

Sports Events

Concert Events

Hotels

etc

etc

OK - I give up sorta ! LOL !

But the pirate in me says damn the obstacles full speed with the Rum Runners !

Bad enough to have to fight the Blue Laws of my home state !

don't-use-real-name -- you and my DH must be cahoots he was once called to the naughty room for his mini Swiss knife (you know the one--LOL)

I remember back in the day when Princess allowed you to bring 12 bottles on board (no sneaking) with no questions and no corkage. I would be happy if they would allow at least 1 or two bottles of wine per person. I would still buy adult beverages on board but at least I could savor my favorite wine on the balcony.

New to NCL and just assumed with the talk about scanning, carry-on vs. checked luggage, and marking bottles that carrying-on wine for onboard consumption was only processed at embarkation. Good to know I can pick up a local taste along the way and enjoy it on the ship.

Just as a note of warning, I once posted on here that I thought you could bring wine on and pay corkage at ports of call and a few people posted to say I was wrong and that they were unable to do so.

I have no idea if that is still the case, but it seems to have been a problem in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

don't-use-real-name -- you and my DH must be cahoots he was once called to the naughty room for his mini Swiss knife (you know the one--LOL)

I remember back in the day when Princess allowed you to bring 12 bottles on board (no sneaking) with no questions and no corkage. I would be happy if they would allow at least 1 or two bottles of wine per person. I would still buy adult beverages on board but at least I could savor my favorite wine on the balcony.

I also look back fondly on the days when Princess treated us like adults, that was how we justified paying a little bit more for the cruise. We are now trying other cruise lines.

Just as a note of warning, I once posted on here that I thought you could bring wine on and pay corkage at ports of call and a few people posted to say I was wrong and that they were unable to do so.

I have no idea if that is still the case, but it seems to have been a problem in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll follow-up on that.