Shot myself in the foot with Royal Bahama Cruise Line

macasio14

Yep, got myself scammed into it just today. I wasn't able to look at the computer, so I wasn't able to immediately look them up. Doesn't help I've never booked a cruise before.

Needless to say, they say that it's "non-refundable" but Florida Statutes say you have 30 days after purchase or receiving certificate to receive a refund.

When I called the cruise line, they said that only applied if you live in Florida, but nothing in reading the statutes seems to limit to residents instead of businesses.

Reading some more on the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer services leads me to think that if I schedule when I want my cruise, I'd be able to cancel and refund everything?

I really need help here. I think you in advance for any help or advice offered.

Yep, got myself scammed into it just today. I wasn't able to look at the computer, so I wasn't able to immediately look them up. Doesn't help I've never booked a cruise before.

Needless to say, they say that it's "non-refundable" but Florida Statutes say you have 30 days after purchase or receiving certificate to receive a refund.

When I called the cruise line, they said that only applied if you live in Florida, but nothing in reading the statutes seems to limit to residents instead of businesses.

Reading some more on the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer services leads me to think that if I schedule when I want my cruise, I'd be able to cancel and refund everything?

I really need help here. I think you in advance for any help or advice offered.

Call your credit card company immediately and place a block on that transaction. Tell them you were scammed into believing it was something else and you refuse to pay for it. This is easier if they haven't paid the charge yet.

Edited by fortinweb

Depending on how much you paid - what your expectations are - and how strong your resistance to sales pitches is - you got scammed: either a bit or a whole lot.

A friend who bit on this sort of offer reported that the ship itself is sort of like a Greyhound bus on the water. Very crowded, uncomfortable, minimal amenities and continual sales pitches. I have no idea of how legitimate the "non-refundable" thing is, but these guys are much more experienced in their line of work than you are, so you might have a very tough time getting a refund.

If you do decide to go, please check back in with a report.

In addition to notifying your credit card company, you might contact the Office of the Florida Attorney General. If you've been the victim of a scam that originated in their state, they may be able to help you. Good luck!

Contact whoever the payment was made thru. Either your credit card or your bank and cancel the transaction immediately

If the credit card from a major bank, ask to talk to the fraud department, not just anybody who'll answer the 800 number.

Call your credit card company immediately and place a block on that transaction. Tell them you were scammed into believing it was something else and you refuse to pay for it. This is easier if they haven't paid the charge yet.

This.

This is another reason to never, ever use a debit card for such.

Sorry you got ripped off. As others have said, 1. Call your credit card co. to try to block payment; they might not do it but try. 2. Call your own consumer affairs dept., usually part of the Atty. Gen. in your state, and don't delay filing a written complaint. 3. The business of only Florida residents being able to file a complaint in that state is bogus. They will accept complaints from anybody regarding shoddy business in their state.

Finally, you would help others by being more specific. What is the ship, what is the port, what are the terms of the cruise, what did they offer, etc., etc. If I were in the area, I would be curious to see the ship from hell rip off. Please give more detail on how this happened to save grief for others.

Edited by jamessemaj

Finally, you would help others by being more specific. What is the ship, what is the port, what are the terms of the cruise, what did they offer, etc., etc.

You can google Royal Bahama cruise line

You can google Royal Bahama cruise line

I'm guessing that Jamessemaj wants to know more about the sales pitch. At least I'm curious about how the whole thing occurred.

I often get the postcards that make it seem it's Carnival offering a cruise. The whole thing screamed "scam" to me. If someone calls and offers us a free vacation, I would think the same too. I definitely know that my hubby isn't going to want to sit through a timeshare presentation no matter what the prize is.

Here's their website http://royalbahamacl.com

It is a real cruise and in fact even gets a few good reviews. But it is also a timeshare company that can be quite pushy with sales and give people the run around when trying to schedule their "free" cruise.

OMG :eek: The cabins? Ewwww....

If it was just yesterday it is probably still in pending and not posted.

I forgot to mention I live in Minnesota.

Thank you very much for all the helpful suggestions.

I fortunately had the sense to call my credit card, but the charge has not been official and is only pending. Needless to say, they'll contact me before authorizing this.

I'll be calling the BBB for both Minnesota and Florida today. Hopefully I'm able to recoup some of the loss. Will keep updated.

Wasn't able to call BBB on Friday due to it being too late by the time I realized what I had done.

Royal Bahama doesn't exactly have the best reputation and they are sorta known for this behavior. But I'm curious....how exactly did you get scammed? :confused:

You are probably right on that which makes me feel all the worst for it. They did say "free" at first and I was interested in upgrading in order to use it as a honeymoon. After I found out their practice (I got played which is makes me feel all the worst) now after reading, since I have the "18 months" to decide on when I want to take the vacation, it doesn't fall under the Florida Statutes of the 30 day refund because I didn't pick a date.

At this point, I'll try and negotiate reduced price which is about the best I can hope for. :(

Edited by macasio14

You are probably right on that which makes me feel all the worst for it. They did say "free" at first and I was interested in upgrading in order to use it as a honeymoon. After I found out their practice (I got played which is makes me feel all the worst) now after reading, since I have the "18 months" to decide on when I want to take the vacation, it doesn't fall under the Florida Statutes of the 30 day refund because I didn't pick a date.

At this point, I'll try and negotiate reduced price which is about the best I can hope for. :(

Yeah, that sounds like their typical scam. So sorry this happened to you. I agree with the others....hopefully your CC won't let it go from Pending to a full charge. Good luck. :o

If you do wind up taking the "cruise" I hope you will come back with a detailed report of what it was like - there may actually be some value to it, and we all can gain from the knowledge.

what i've heard or read, which doesnt make it 'gospel' is that the ship is very small, cabins more so, kind of back into them:eek:. buffet is a salad, some pasta, but desserts are to be paid for. the entertainment is a charge as well. saw some pics of the ship, cabins food etc with the table for the entertainment charge. i believe there is an itty bitty pool. but basically everything is plus plus. seems like an atempt to be a cruiseship:confused: