Victoria stop on Alaska RT cruises: Do people actually bother?

Vexorg

I'm booked for the Golden Princess roundtrip Alaska cruise out of Seattle on September 13th along with some friends, and haven't quite figured out what to do with the Victoria stop on the last day. It's clear that it's there for no reason other than PVSA compliance, and the 7 to Midnight time puts it right around the time that people should be packing up for disembarkation the next morning. Now there's nothing particularly wrong with Victoria per se (I've stopped there on a previous cruise and thought it was reasonably nice,) but it just doesn't seem like this exactly lends itself to doing much of anything. Besides, if I really wanted to go see Victoria I could do either a daytrip or an overnight visit and have a lot more time to see it.

For people who have done this cruise, do you even bother getting off the ship here, and if so, is there anything actually interesting to do in Victoria during this time?

I'm booked for the Golden Princess roundtrip Alaska cruise out of Seattle on September 13th along with some friends, and haven't quite figured out what to do with the Victoria stop on the last day. It's clear that it's there for no reason other than PVSA compliance, and the 7 to Midnight time puts it right around the time that people should be packing up for disembarkation the next morning. Now there's nothing particularly wrong with Victoria per se (I've stopped there on a previous cruise and thought it was reasonably nice,) but it just doesn't seem like this exactly lends itself to doing much of anything. Besides, if I really wanted to go see Victoria I could do either a daytrip or an overnight visit and have a lot more time to see it.

For people who have done this cruise, do you even bother getting off the ship here, and if so, is there anything actually interesting to do in Victoria during this time?

Take a look at the excursions Princess offers on that Victoria stop. I know that Butchard Gardens is lit at night in the summer, but I am not sure if it is available that late in the season. If so, go and enjoy it! (pack up in the late afternoon).

Yes! The ship is often empty.

Maybe because you live close to Victoria, you may not think it is worth it but for many of us, this is a wonderful opportunity to visit a great city, even if it is for a few hours.

Every time I have been to Victoria, I have gotten off of the ship. I have gone to the gardens several times and also just walked downtown. Beautiful city!

The excursion reservations page for this cruise doesn't show any Butchart Gardens excursions available, mostly things like bus tours and pub crawls.

Pub crawl is good :D and what Coral said.

Theo

I love having a drink at Bard and Banker. It's a Scottish pub, with 30 beers on tap. They also make the best gin and tonic with mint, cucumber, and lime. The interior is an old bank that has been converted into a pub. They also have live music in the evenings, with no cover charge. Pack early and enjoy a couple of hours in port.:D Here's the website in case you're interested in going. http://www.bardandbanker.com/

I'm kind of a fan of Victoria ;) and got stuck on your "reasonably nice"...I do agree it is a really stupid time for a port stop.

if there's no tours to butchart gardens (which I highly recommend, but its a loooooong way from the port so I'd take a princess tour), just a walk around the inner harbour is nice. the harbour, the Fairmont empress, the legislature...the buskers are fun to watch, the royal bc museum is actually interesting if its open that late. (I'm too lazy to google and check.) even walking the breakwater is a nice evening activity that is close to the dock. take a quick transfer downtown and walk up government street-all the tourist shops should be open. that's where you'll find some good pubs (bard and banker or the irish times).

Craiderrock Castle is another fantastic tour' date=' available in the evening. You see lots of Victoria, too, and hear lots of history.

Try it![/quote']

I second that! We did it and even those in our family that aren't into history enjoyed it. It also gives you a good general overview of the area.

You'd be surprised at how many people get off the ship there!

Been there four times and haven't gotten off the ship yet.

Mike:)

Why would you not get off??? Victoria is such a beautiful city. Just wander around, it's not that far of a walk to the Empress and the Legislative building.

Last week we went to Jam Cafe for breakfast and walked back to the ship leisurely from there. We saw an Irish games parade along the way. Look up Jam Cafe....you won't be disappointed.

Edited by sonomaphil
spelling

Mike - you are missing out big time! It is an awesome city!

I am sure it is the time of day.

We are thinking dinner etc and just not too excited about visiting a city after dark I guess.

I will try to change my ways next AK trip.

We are thinking dinner etc and just not too excited about visiting a city after dark I guess.

Seeing the lights of the Legislative Building and the Empress Hotel is a fantastic experience. You will see the lights on many tours, or they are easy to see on your own.

Enjoy:)

Puttedude, we need you to weigh in on this:)

Craigdarrock Castle is another fantastic tour' date=' available in the evening. You see lots of Victoria, too, and hear lots of history.

Try it![/quote']

Yes. And the natural history museum with fascinating native people's exhibits. I agree with the person who mentioned you are close to Victoria (so to speak) and might not find it exotic. I have a similar attitude toward Ensedada and very seldom get off the ship there. However, there is always something interesting in every port, IMO.

If my memory serves me correct, the feature on the last nights menu is "meatloaf" - that night is the weakest menu. Definitely get off the ship next time. :)

If my memory serves me correct, the feature on the last nights menu is "meatloaf" - that night is the weakest menu. Definitely get off the ship next time. :)

Mmmmmm, mussels. Since I ordered those for the first time, I rarely have anything else on the last evening. Double order, hold the fries. I can't get that at home!

Mmmmmm, mussels. Since I ordered those for the first time, I rarely have anything else on the last evening. Double order, hold the fries. I can't get that at home!

I just looked them up. I will just have to trust you as I don't see ordering them in the future. You are right, I don't think any restaurant near me serves mussels.

We are taking our first cruise in 3 wks, same itinerary, and sort of wondering the same question… We've been to Victoria a number of times, we'll probably just get off and walk the inner harbor and hit one of the pubs (assuming weather is cooperating). For those who are unfortunate enough to live elsewhere, Victoria really is a nice scenic spot to see. :-) We get a little spoiled living here!

Jim

Thank you everyone for all your comments. We too will be making the stop there this summer for the 4-5 hours after dark. I had thought just taking the double decker bus would show us some of the city. I think I am reviewing the situation now, including the Scottish pub!

When we stopped in Ensenada on our way back from Hawaii, we ended up arriving there around 6:00 PM and left at 9:00 PM. We opted to not get off then. I just assumed that this stop would be the same way but now. . . Thanks again!!

it really is a nice city that doesn't feel like a city. and its safe after dark so no worries. there are horse and buggy rides or trolly tours or kabuki pedal-cabs that can take you around the downtown sights. I'd offer to take you on a tour but I can't stay up that late. :)