If I love river cruising, will I like ocean cruising?

hcross888

I know that this question is a reversal of usual questions on this group, but I have taken 3 European river cruises and loved them all. I loved everything about the river cruises, the tours, the nice meals, the cleanliness and service. I never thought I would even do an ocean cruise, but I have seen the ones that go to Scandinavia, and the ports sound wonderful.

I'm not wild about huge crowds or a party-type atmosphere, but I'm sure I'd love the ports.

Do you think I would like the ocean cruise?

If you like the small ship atmosphere, you might want to look into a cruise line like Windstar. Personally, I'm not a fan of large ships and dislike being herded around like cattle. Two of Windstar's fleet accommodate less than 150 passengers and the third can take up to 250 passengers, as I recall. (Windstar recently added additional ships to their fleet but I don't know capacity of the vessels.) We sailed on Windstar through the BVI and also from Istanbul to Athens and enjoyed both trips immensely. They offer some very interesting Northern European/Scandinavian itineraries, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I love river cruising and have two more booked this year, but last year went on a Holland America Baltic cruise from Scandinavia and l enjoyed that too....BUT way more time in "hotel style" ship activities and less time in ports. Mostly you are berthed a long way out from the boat so there are buses to ferry you. Nothing like just hopping off the river boat and walking!

Edited by aussietraveller58

If you want to match the river cruise experience, consider Regent. [Disclosure: I haven't sailed Regent] The reason I suggest this is that they are all-inclusive similar to river cruises, including shore excursions.

Most ocean cruises above the mass-market level (Carnival, Royal, NCL) do NOT have a party atmosphere. The higher you go in luxury, the less partying you will find. Also the mass-market lines have a mix of ships; the newer ones are huge, but most lines still have some older ships that are reasonably small, which would probably be a better adjustment for you. E.g. Coral/Island Princess, Celebrity M-class. But these ships are the opposite of all-inclusive so the difference between the advertised fare and your actual all-in cost will be a shock.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

You might want to take a look at Regent Seven Seas, with about 750 pax on the luxurious Voyager. We also prefer river cruises but recently tried Regent because of an itinerary that interested us and the relatively smaller number of pax. We loved the trip.

Since I took a river cruise I've not been back to Ocean Cruising. We decided that being a small part of a large mob of sheep was no longer us. We prefer the intimate attitude of river cruising where everything is just outside your window.

I love both ocean and river cruising, and you'll never catch me on a ship with a "big party atmosphere" or "thousands of pax."

Have a serious look at the websites of Windstar, Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Oceania and Azamara. (I've sailed on all but Azamara.) Then get a feel for the line by spending some time on those boards. Some of these lines are all-inclusive and have a correspondingly higher per diem.

Some ocean ports are within walking distance of town. Some lines provide a free shuttle into town. Impossible to generalize or assume. Once you move beyond the mass market lines, it's a different world. And a much better one.

We love small ships -- and Windstar, too. But there are a lot of options -- what are you looking for, exactly?

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

If you like the small ship atmosphere, you might want to look into a cruise line like Windstar. Personally, I'm not a fan of large ships and dislike being herded around like cattle. Two of Windstar's fleet accommodate less than 150 passengers and the third can take up to 250 passengers, as I recall. (Windstar recently added additional ships to their fleet but I don't know capacity of the vessels.) We sailed on Windstar through the BVI and also from Istanbul to Athens and enjoyed both trips immensely. They offer some very interesting Northern European/Scandinavian itineraries, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Some people really do not like ocean cruises.

Our good friends LOVE river boat cruises but don't care for ocean cruises. Their big compliant is being bored on At Sea days.

You might consider a VERY port intensive cruise on Holland America.

Even our friends admitted they enjoyed their port intensive cruise on HAL to Alaska. :)

LuLu

We love Oceania and their "R" class ships; smaller than their newer built "O" class. It is not all inclusive so if you aren't a big drinker of alcohol or don't take ship tours you don't feel as if you are purchasing something you won't use.

We like O because of the port intensive itineraries and the fact that often their smaller ships can berth very close to the city centers and you can literally walk off the ship and be in "old towns" much as you can river cruising.

You are looking at one of our favorite itineraries-- Scandinavia. You will love it! Go in September when the days are longer and the tourists have returned home! Many of the ports, except Russian ones, are easy to DIY.

Russia lends itself best to ships' tours or private tours. To DIY requires a Russian visa and can take a long time to acquire for some people.

Enjoy Scandinavia whichever cruise line you choose!!

We are not big on ocean cruises as many of the ports are simply overrun with cruise passengers and that is not what we enjoy. We no longer do large cruise ships period as they are overcrowded shopping malls at sea with nickel and diming down to a science and with far too many people (and kids).

We do enjoy Oceania with their smaller ships, lovely cabins, sophisticated ambiance, excellent food and service and lack of kids.

Windstar, Seadream, Regent, Silversea are also lines we would cruise with in the future if an itinerary appealed.

Hello,

I am not a fan of ocean cruising for the fact that I do not think I could enjoy hundreds of people including the partying type and children of all ages all on one boat and not being able to "escape them" within 6 hours!

Being stuck on an English channel ferry for fours hours in high winds has put me off, I think.

But a lot of people in Germany do ocean cruising including the Mediterranean, along the Adriatic coast, round Britain, the Baltic Sea and the Scandinavian coast.

A popular, unusual trip offered by a German company (through travel agents) is the Hurtigruten around Norway. That is very port intensive as it is actually a postal service. The ships take tourists, but the atmosphere is an unusual mix of business and tourism. Amenities are similar to river cruises but there is no luxury dinner or similar.

Here is the wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurtigruten

You will find that when you extend your search to European companies it gives you even more choices!

I have never been to Scandinavia, but all the people I know who have been enjoyed their time. Take lots of insect repellent when you go in Summer!

Generally, people tell me the Scandinavians are more reserved peoples, so a different experience from central Europe.

Enjoy planning!

notamermaid

We have done Ocean cruises and sail the smaller ships that are port intensive. (Alaska, Bermuda, Panama Canal and Central America, Mediterranean, Scandinavia) Have also enjoyed the Caribbean to just enjoy the beautiful islands and water activities. Holland America does have more "mature" activities (teas, computer/photography classes, lectures) on sea days that don't always involve partying and drinking! We definitely don't travel when school is out and never on "spring break"!!

HOWEVER... We just returned from a week celebrating a friend's birthday on NCL's Gem --NYC to Bahamas---too many people and too much partying aboard! NEVER again! We bought a Spa Pass and hid out in the serene Spa lounge, sauna and warm water pool to escape!! :eek:

Something I forgot to add regarding ocean cruising: if you are a smoker you won't like Celebrity or Oceania. Both have strict anti-smoking policies; no smoking in rooms or balconies and depending on ship, only 1 or 2 inside/outside places to smoke. (#1 reason why we sail O!)

Something I forgot to add regarding ocean cruising: if you are a smoker you won't like Celebrity or Oceania. Both have strict anti-smoking policies; no smoking in rooms or balconies and depending on ship, only 1 or 2 inside/outside places to smoke. (#1 reason why we sail O!)

Regent also falls into this catagory , absolutely no smoking except in a couple deck locations! Thank goodness ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Hmmm…. will have to check out Oceania!! How's the food? If it weren't for my friend's birthday I never would have been on NCL!!

Edited by pbnjrockette

Most people on Oceania believe that it has the best food of all the lines. I know that is a very subjective thing.

Go read the O boards to get an idea of what the line is like. No formal nights and no "seatings." You eat when you want to eat and with whom you wish to eat with. The speciality restaurants have no additonal charge.

Have fun researching!

Hmmm…. will have to check out Oceania!! How's the food? If it weren't for my friend's birthday I never would have been on NCL!!

Just took a 2 week cruise on Oceania. The food is spectacular. Excellent mdr,

A great buffet that is not self serve, 4 specialty restaurants at no extra charge, and a grill that serves fillet mignon and lobster tail sandwiches every day.

Oceania is a class product, but its one big weakness (other than not being able to cook a steak as ordered) is the most overpriced shore excursions in the business. This is definitely a line to DIY on shore.

Oceania is a class product, but its one big weakness (other than not being able to cook a steak as ordered) is the most overpriced shore excursions in the business. This is definitely a line to DIY on shore.

Totally agree and we did DIY in every port.

On our O survey at the end of our 1st cruise several years ago I commented that we boomer-aged people were used to "doing our own thing" and that we did DIY at all of the ports.

I asked if there was some way they could make it easier for us....provide some local maps, location of train, metro & bus stations before we left the ship.

This was before we had lots of information online from individual tourist & city guides at each port.

There are now local reps that come on board and hand out maps and answer questions before you disembark.

Currents, the ship's magazine, does include local maps but you will have to do research to see what you want to see unless you are happy just getting off ship and wandering...which is also cool!

I know that this question is a reversal of usual questions on this group, but I have taken 3 European river cruises and loved them all. I loved everything about the river cruises, the tours, the nice meals, the cleanliness and service. I never thought I would even do an ocean cruise, but I have seen the ones that go to Scandinavia, and the ports sound wonderful.

I'm not wild about huge crowds or a party-type atmosphere, but I'm sure I'd love the ports.

Do you think I would like the ocean cruise?

I think you should give it a shot. We're like you, only we're on our 6th river cruise and have 2 more booked. DH wanted to do full transit of Panama Canal for 50th so we chose Celebrity and booked a balcony cabin.

It was so wonderful that I was in tears when we had to disembark! If they had said "stay with us and sail our next leg", I would have been thrilled! Many posters have said they like the smaller ships with smaller crowds and first class service...unfortunately, you pay for that so it depends on how much you're willing to spend. Infinity was one of Celebrity's smaller ships (still 1000+) and we found it very easy to avoid the crowds, since we don't smoke, drink or nightclub. We would have used the pool but it was crowded with people playing games all day! Instead, we just sat on our balcony most of the day and enjoyed the peace and quiet...we loved the ports, had no trouble with crowds getting on or off or shopping in ports, the food was comparable to river cruising as was the service, and I can't wait to do it again! In fact, we're looking at Scandinavian Capitols for our next cruise too.

One of the things my husband was so happy about on Oceania was they always cooked his meat exactly as he wanted it! And, we did all our excursions DIY.