Question for JEDIKNIGHT re Summit sailing

jcpc

Hi JEDIKNIGHT,

I believe you returned from your Summit sailing today? How was it? Can you let us know about your Suite experience on this sailing?

I'm in 6148 (believe you were in 6147) for the last Bermuda sailing in August and am anxious to hear how things went for you.

Would welcome comments from anyone on this sailing regarding the general vibe of the ship.

Thanks so much.

jcpc

Edited by jcpc

Hi JEDIKNIGHT,

I believe you returned from your Summit sailing today? How was it? Can you let us know about your Suite experience on this sailing?

I'm in 6148 (believe you were in 6147) for the last Bermuda sailing in August and am anxious to hear how things went for you.

Would welcome comments from anyone on this sailing regarding the general vibe of the ship.

Thanks so much.

jcpc

I'm curious about price changes to the drinks and exclusions to the classic package that a lot have been mentioning.

Laney, I don’t drink so sorry, I can’t say anything bout the drink packages.

JCPC…..

I’ll write a review mid-week (i like to let thoughts marinade a bit) but here’s a “bottom line” if you will:

Overall it was a solid cruise, and I am happy with it. Big reason I’m not writing a review today is that 2 negatives really upset me, but I don’t want it to tarnish the rest of the review in the name of fairness and accuracy. The 2 items:

1.)Air Conditioning in PH 6147 was weak. AGAIN. Especially at night. AGAIN. I had nicely asked the Butler on day 1, he assured me that the ‘new system’ sees to it that things don’t get hot overnight. WRONG. I’m trying to just let this go but in my mind I keep thinking “$10,000 + spent. Is a cool bedroom at night, too much to expect?”

2.)Buffet: Bedlam and chaos for both meals. Ok, much of the crowd is NJ and that is not the crew’s fault. But goodness…less selections, cold food, mean servers in some cases, totally disorganized…I’m still trying to get it out of my mind, lol. Seriously, the Hampton Inn is a more comfortable sleep than I had in the Penthouse, and my local Old Country Buffet is 100 times better than the Summit.

BUT, like I said JCPC, bottom line it was a good cruise. EXCELLENT concierge with Ceasar, EXCELLENT Butler in Jose, much of the crew was typical Celebrity and doing a good job. Friendly officers, clean, and the MDR was surprisingly good. Embarking and Departure were the best I’ve ever had on any line.

That’s what appalls me about the A/C and the Buffet. A company that does so much right, screws up 2 important and obvious things. I’m not a reactionary who will spout off and say “I’m done with X!”. But, I was thinking about New England in September, and right now…between the bad buffet and hot bedroom - we are thinking we need a ‘break’ from cruising, lol.

I had 6 year old DD with me, so Blu schedule didn’t work for me. If I could do ONE thing over again for last week, it would be doing FULL breakfasts and lunches either in Blu, OR better yet, butler delivered in the Penthouse.

General vibe was good. Slightly upscale, rather mature. The NJ vibe is prevalent of course…but overall, still a better ‘feel’ than say, NCL.

If I were advising someone I’d say “as long as you don’t go to buffet, and as long as you don’t feel hot easily, the Summit Penthouse is an awesome experience"

Thank you for such an honest and well balanced response. We have yet to book the PH, but any input is most welcome. We typically splurge for a suite about every 5 years for a milestone celebration, so we will store all available info! Glad you still had a good time overall.

Was IT or wasn't IT with you?

Indeed the Force was with me an I was fortunate for that.

Sadly it didn’t give me pre-cognition to avoid the buffet all week :)

And the Force was with most of the crew also. Overall, good experience. But buffet is usually my venue of choice for 2 out of 3 meals so I regret that a bit.

Hi JEDIKNIGHT,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not at all happy to hear about the AC. I'm foolishly hoping that we don't have the same problem in 6148 but I'm sure we will. I can relate to how you feel about spending $10K+ and having to wake up in the middle of the night sweating because it's so hot in the room (although even if you paid $399 per person for an inside guarantee, you shouldn't have to deal with no AC at night!)

We always have the butler deliver both breakfast and lunch. I cannot deal with that buffet at all anymore. I just don't have the patience for it. If we don't have lunch delivered we go to Bistro on 5, but I don't suppose a 6 year old would enjoy Bistro on 5!

Glad to hear, for the most part, you had an enjoyable week.

Thanks, again.

jcpc

Thank you for the well balanced comments. We are contemplating hopping on the Aug 31st sailing. Pricing seems to be fairly good and it will be an excuse to spend a couple days in NYC as well.

Looking forward to the full review on your other thread!

Hi JEDIKNIGHT,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not at all happy to hear about the AC. I'm foolishly hoping that we don't have the same problem in 6148 but I'm sure we will. I can relate to how you feel about spending $10K+ and having to wake up in the middle of the night sweating because it's so hot in the room (although even if you paid $399 per person for an inside guarantee, you shouldn't have to deal with no AC at night!)

We always have the butler deliver both breakfast and lunch. I cannot deal with that buffet at all anymore. I just don't have the patience for it. If we don't have lunch delivered we go to Bistro on 5, but I don't suppose a 6 year old would enjoy Bistro on 5!

Glad to hear, for the most part, you had an enjoyable week.

Thanks, again.

jcpc

I think a 6 year old could enjoy Bistro on 5, I rememebr my first crepes vividly, right about that age :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Children of suite passengers have eaten in Blu on other ships.

AQ cabins generally do not have children but as far as I know the fee that used to be applied ($5/pp) is no longer applied just as the restriction on children. :confused:

Children of suite passengers have eaten in Blu on other ships.

AQ cabins generally do not have children but as far as I know the fee that used to be applied ($5/pp) is no longer applied just as the restriction on children. :confused:

When did they removed the $5/pp charge?

I have been leaving $10:00 on the table every time I finished my dinner.:mad:

Edited by iSailor

Yes, I would also like to know what "the Jersey vibe" is.

I just came off the Summit and found everyone that we encountered to be friendly, helpful and glad to be on vacation. We did encounter some very rude children in the buffet late one afternoon. They were emptying packet of sugar into their mouths and then throwing the papers on the floor. They left a mess all over. Mothers came to get them, not a word. Found out they were from Texas. Cannot make a determination of where people are from by the way they look or talk. Mostly everyone we met was from everywhere but NJ. Did meet a lawyer and his teacher wife from Montclair NJ.

Happy Sailing All!

Laney, I don’t drink so sorry, I can’t say anything bout the drink packages.

JCPC…..

I’ll write a review mid-week (i like to let thoughts marinade a bit) but here’s a “bottom line” if you will:

Overall it was a solid cruise, and I am happy with it. Big reason I’m not writing a review today is that 2 negatives really upset me, but I don’t want it to tarnish the rest of the review in the name of fairness and accuracy. The 2 items:

1.)Air Conditioning in PH 6147 was weak. AGAIN. Especially at night. AGAIN. I had nicely asked the Butler on day 1, he assured me that the ‘new system’ sees to it that things don’t get hot overnight. WRONG. I’m trying to just let this go but in my mind I keep thinking “$10,000 + spent. Is a cool bedroom at night, too much to expect?”

2.)Buffet: Bedlam and chaos for both meals. Ok, much of the crowd is NJ and that is not the crew’s fault. But goodness…less selections, cold food, mean servers in some cases, totally disorganized…I’m still trying to get it out of my mind, lol. Seriously, the Hampton Inn is a more comfortable sleep than I had in the Penthouse, and my local Old Country Buffet is 100 times better than the Summit.

BUT, like I said JCPC, bottom line it was a good cruise. EXCELLENT concierge with Ceasar, EXCELLENT Butler in Jose, much of the crew was typical Celebrity and doing a good job. Friendly officers, clean, and the MDR was surprisingly good. Embarking and Departure were the best I’ve ever had on any line.

That’s what appalls me about the A/C and the Buffet. A company that does so much right, screws up 2 important and obvious things. I’m not a reactionary who will spout off and say “I’m done with X!”. But, I was thinking about New England in September, and right now…between the bad buffet and hot bedroom - we are thinking we need a ‘break’ from cruising, lol.

I had 6 year old DD with me, so Blu schedule didn’t work for me. If I could do ONE thing over again for last week, it would be doing FULL breakfasts and lunches either in Blu, OR better yet, butler delivered in the Penthouse.

General vibe was good. Slightly upscale, rather mature. The NJ vibe is prevalent of course…but overall, still a better ‘feel’ than say, NCL.

If I were advising someone I’d say “as long as you don’t go to buffet, and as long as you don’t feel hot easily, the Summit Penthouse is an awesome experience"

Geez.. enough with the NJ stuff! I did not run into one rude person on that ship!!

The “Nj Vibe(which I said nothing bad about) ” was a huge positive and it confirmed the stereo type of NJ being a bastion of niceness, politeness, good humor, people who say hello to one another, people who drive more courteously than anywhere else, a state that people are clamoring to move into, and not out of, a place that’s an example for transparent and clean government with minimal corruption, cost of living that is affordable for all, people who were exceptionally nice to the crew compared to pax from other regions, and people who had the sunniest, happiest, most contented disposition I’ve ever, ever seen.

Celebrity should charge a premium just for this privilege because it adds an element of happiness and cheer to a cruise.

Folks on this very thread are living proof why NJ consistently tops all national surveys as “happiest place” or “most polite” place and never ever is on top of the “rudest places to live” surveys. It’s also a hub of economic growth as all studies show businesses clamoring to set up shop there too.

Jersey Strong!

Edited by JEDIKNIGHT

The “Nj Vibe(which I said nothing bad about) ” was a huge positive and it confirmed the stereo type of NJ being a bastion of niceness, politeness, good humor, people who say hello to one another, people who drive more courteously than anywhere else, a state that people are clamoring to move into, and not out of, a place that’s an example for transparent and clean government with minimal corruption, cost of living that is affordable for all, people who were exceptionally nice to the crew compared to pax from other regions, and people who had the sunniest, happiest, most contented disposition I’ve ever, ever seen.

Celebrity should charge a premium just for this privilege because it adds an element of happiness and cheer to a cruise.

LOL!!! Now you sound like Eddie Haskel. :D:D:D

Folks on this very thread are living proof why NJ consistently tops all national surveys as “happiest place” or “most polite” place and never ever is on top of the “rudest places to live” surveys. It’s also a hub of economic growth as all studies show businesses clamoring to set up shop there too.

Jersey Strong!

I am literally crying right now. I love your sense of humor.

Hello Classy! Thank you and I hope our cruising paths cross one day.

Haven’t been to San Diego in years but enjoyed it very much when we were there.

Anyhow, hopefully I don’t get into trouble for saying glowing and complimentary things.

Jersey Strong!

LMAO! Thanks for the smile for the day.

You described the "NJ vibe" perfectly. I myself have experienced it many times as I usually cruise out of Bayonne. I once described it as an "aqcuired taste" (very similar to fine champagne and caviar).

Honestly, we have breakfast and lunch delivered to the PH. It is wonderful to sit out on the balcony and enjoy your lunch. We do this even on port days. We usually just have salads and shrimp cocktail - maybe a burger. But the butler will bring you just about whatever you feel like having to eat.

I would love to be your "neighbor" on a Bayonne sailing in the future.

Jersey Strong!

Ill take that as a compliment and my just not understanding your sense of humor. Thanks.

Jersey Strong!

I too had to laugh :D

We are both originally born and raised New yorkers (city and upstate) so we can sort of see your point........... Unless there is also a NY vibe which we aren't aware about too.

You described the "NJ vibe" perfectly. I myself have experienced it many times as I usually cruise out of Bayonne. I once described it as an "aqcuired taste" (very similar to fine champagne and caviar).

Honestly, we have breakfast and lunch delivered to the PH. It is wonderful to sit out on the balcony and enjoy your lunch. We do this even on port days. We usually just have salads and shrimp cocktail - maybe a burger. But the butler will bring you just about whatever you feel like having to eat.

I would love to be your "neighbor" on a Bayonne sailing in the future.

Indeed, next time our Butler will be utilized for those 2 meals, for sure and yes, would be a pleasure to be neighbors, hopefully that happens one day!