Locking luggage for embarkation

cruisegal96

They thought our luggage was locked and we received a letter to come down and claim our luagge. The officer requested that we unlock our luggage and open it. We showed them that it had a lock on it but was never applied. They still proceeded to search our luggage. No biggie for us but it could happen to you.

Personally I would rather run the risk of being in the naughty room than have my luggage meddled with/stolen from.

I find it bizarre that luggage is left outside cabins for long periods of time and is never locked on US cruises. When you travel round Europe you see locks on almost every largish suitcase.

We locked our luggage with 2 locks last cruise and didnt get sent for it to be searched.

Lock it to be safe.

The disadvantage to locking it is that if they see anything that looks suspicious when the bag is x-rayed you will have to go to the naughty room to unlock it and let them search the bag. In most cases it seems that you then have to carry your bag back to your cabin.

The disadvantage to locking it is that if they see anything that looks suspicious when the bag is x-rayed you will have to go to the naughty room to unlock it and let them search the bag. In most cases it seems that you then have to carry your bag back to your cabin.

We certainly had to drag our bag to our cabin in an already congested elevator. While disgusted we understand that security searching our bag provides us with an extra layer of security. It is unfortunate but real.

Personally I would rather run the risk of being in the naughty room than have my luggage meddled with/stolen from.

I find it bizarre that luggage is left outside cabins for long periods of time and is never locked on US cruises. When you travel round Europe you see locks on almost every largish suitcase.

We locked our luggage with 2 locks last cruise and didnt get sent for it to be searched.

Lock it to be safe.

We always do and have never been called to "The Room".

They wanted me to haul the suitcase to my cabin. I just looked at him, said you brought it here, I came to open it, you deliver it. They did.

I have a TSA lock on mine which I always lock. Three times now they have searched my bag... twice they unlocked the lock without assistance.. suposedly they have a TSA lock unlock tool... only once was I asked to unlock it in the naughty room. I had a huge bottle of shampoo they wanted to make sure was indeed shampoo...

We always use zip ties on ours... If they need in, they'll cut it off - which has NEVER happened. :D

Do zip ties have any use though?

Its a bit like putting a chocolate seal on a kettle (when it comes to theft and what not).

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Edited by Velvetwater

Let me preface this by saying I don't put valuables in my luggage and I don't smuggle alcohol.

I lock my luggage...I happen to like the clothes that I have purchased, and many have done several cruises over the years. I personally don't want want somebody going through my personal items without my knowledge. And some luggage sits in the hallway for hours.

It's much easier to go through a piece of unlocked luggage in the hallway than a locked piece, and I doubt anybody would question it. All somebody has to say is "my wife has the room key, and I need my swimsuit out of here....Rare maybe, but nowadays, I don't trust anybody.

We use zip-ties and have never been called to the "naughty" room.

I figure that a would-be thief would bypass my luggage with zip-ties and choose someone's unlocked, easy access luggage.

Unless your baggage has a metal zipper it can be easily opened and closed with a ball point pen. Just look on youtube. Not that Carnival would do such a thing but it is possible. Personally, we never lock our luggage.

I think we all know, locked or unlocked, it can be opened. I lock mine. If I can slow them down or make the possibility of someone getting caught more likely, I'm doing it.

There are no valuables in this luggage, but what's in there is MINE!

Thanks for your replies. I know I always have in the past, but wanted to be sure with all the increases in security these days. I don't put anything of value in our luggage but as one of the posts said, I just don't won't someone going through my personal things without my knowledge & I don't won't someone trying to steal any clothing or snorkel gear. We will lock it & if we get called to the "naughty room" to unlock so be it. Just a few more days til DREAM!!!!

Can you still lock your luggage getting on the ship? We aren't flying so I was planning to & just wondered if it would be a problem.

We always lock our luggage when we drop it off with the porters. I know that someone can still get into it if they really want to, but leaving it unlocked just makes it easier for them to do so.

Edited by Sparky2

Thanks for your replies. I know I always have in the past, but wanted to be sure with all the increases in security these days. I don't put anything of value in our luggage but as one of the posts said, I just don't won't someone going through my personal things without my knowledge & I don't won't someone trying to steal any clothing or snorkel gear. We will lock it & if we get called to the "naughty room" to unlock so be it. Just a few more days til DREAM!!!!

Lucky you! Have a great time! :)

Wow...so people get called down by security simply because they had their suitcases locked, no other reason?

Seems strange to me, but....we've had like 10 cruises with Carnival, plus a couple others, we've always locked our suitcases, never been contacted fter boarding. But less concerned about things being stolen...never anything valuable in there..but I lock em to lessen the possibility of the suitcases coming open and the contents being dumped all over..that'd be a major pia to me.