Questions about RCI Shareholder OBC Benefit

This is my 1st RCI cruise. DH and I purchased the required 100 shares of RCI stock several months ago and we've made money! I've read the instructions about the kind of info that is needed to request OBC, have the mailing address,email address, FAX #. It says to send proof of ownership in 2-3 weeks prior to sailing. Is RCI fairly fast and efficient approving these OBC requests? Has anyone had issues receiving the OBC from owning stock? Is it better to e-mail the request or FAX it?

I've done this with Carnival Cruises before and there was no problems with the OBC showing up. Thanks for your input!

Teri

This is my 1st RCI cruise. DH and I purchased the required 100 shares of RCI stock several months ago and we've made money! I've read the instructions about the kind of info that is needed to request OBC, have the mailing address,email address, FAX #. It says to send proof of ownership in 2-3 weeks prior to sailing. Is RCI fairly fast and efficient approving these OBC requests? Has anyone had issues receiving the OBC from owning stock? Is it better to e-mail the request or FAX it?

I've done this with Carnival Cruises before and there was no problems with the OBC showing up. Thanks for your input!

Teri

I usually email a scanned copy of my proxy statement, and the OBC is applied in a few days. If you don't have a proxy statement yet, you can send them a scan of your brokerage statement.

Note that there are many restrictions on getting the shareholder OBC in combination with other perks or promos.

I usually email a scanned copy of my proxy statement, and the OBC is applied in a few days. If you don't have a proxy statement yet, you can send them a scan of your brokerage statement.

Note that there are many restrictions on getting the shareholder OBC in combination with other perks or promos.

I've had the same experience - emailed the required info and gotten a response within a few days. We've been shareholders for more than 10 years and have never had a problem with getting the OBC.

If you are using a TA, you should let them know you're using the shareholder credit. Ours was removed on a past cruise because our TA applied a coupon (thinking she was saving us money). Luckily because it was a short cruise, it didn't make a big difference but you wouldn't want to lose $200 shareholder credit because your TA applied a $75 coupon!

Marianne

I use the scanned copy of the applicable section of the brokerage statement. But, if you do that be sure you 'blacken' out any account numbers or other financial info that they have no need of knowing.

I have not used the stockholder benefit in quite awhile. We always get at least a balcony level cabin and use the C&A balcony discount. It is usually worth more than the stockholder benefit.

C&A balcony discount? What is this?

If you have a certain number of cruise points, you can get a discount on any stateroom you book with a balcony:

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 50* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 75* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Plus & Pinnacle Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$350* for sailings of 10+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from each dollar amount.

Do you email the request or fax ? I ask because I have emailed the request twice and have not received a response.

The first email went out the first week of May, the second email went last week after calling RC because the benefit had not been applied.

RC was unable to even say if the request had been received.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you email the request or fax ? I ask because I have emailed the request twice and have not received a response.

The first email went out the first week of May, the second email went last week after calling RC because the benefit had not been applied.

RC was unable to even say if the request had been received.

I've always emailed the request and it's been handled within a day or two, except for one time. I think the person who handles this function was on vacation so it took about 10 days that once time.

Edited by clarea

I don't have an perks or promotions. This is my 1st Cruise with RCI so I'm not a C&A member yet. When I booked over a year ago there were not specials or OBC and I booked directly with Royal. There have been no price drops, prices have gone up and my cabin cat. is sold out. So this will be my only OBC.

Thanks for the info Everyone!:)

I don't have an perks or promotions. This is my 1st Cruise with RCI so I'm not a C&A member yet. When I booked over a year ago there were not specials or OBC and I booked directly with Royal. There have been no price drops, prices have gone up and my cabin cat. is sold out. So this will be my only OBC.

Thanks for the info Everyone!:)

In that case the shareholder credit is a nice bonus. But for many of us RCIs noncombinable OBCs are not what we would like to see.

So, I should be getting an OBC for the onboard reservation from our last cruise.

We are also getting a couple $25 credits for signing up friends to C&A once we cruise, and our TA is offering $150 OBC.

Can I assume that shareholder credit is not combinable with any of these?

So, I should be getting an OBC for the onboard reservation from our last cruise.

We are also getting a couple $25 credits for signing up friends to C&A once we cruise, and our TA is offering $150 OBC.

Actually I think those all work, the "do not combines" that I know of are the C&A Balcony discounts and any of the big "sales" promotions.

Shareholder credit would not be combinable with OBC from booking on board. I suspect it's not combinable with Bring-A-Friend credits, but not 100% sure. Should be combinable with most TA OBC, unless the TA OBC is actually coming from Royal, for example OBC from a group booking.

Edited by clarea

Actually I think those all work, the "do not combines" that I know of are the C&A Balcony discounts and any of the big "sales" promotions.

The shareholder benefit cannot be combined with pretty much anything issued by RCI.

8. Are there any restrictions?

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate. Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer. The Shareholder must own the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock at time of sailing. Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars except on sailings where the onboard currency used is a foreign currency (in which case the onboard credit will be converted at a currency exchange rate determined by the cruise line) and is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Any unused credit shall be forfeited. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing. If you are requesting shareholder onboard credit for two or more separate cabins and shares are held jointly, a minimum of 100 shares per cabin booked must be held. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Bob-

Thanks for the information.

I thought I would share something that I overlooked. It would seem that when submitting the request via email you should get an automated response from RC stating they got the request and will be working on it.

I never got this when I submitted my request four times over the last month. Today I used a different email address and got the automated response within minutes. So, at least I know it has been received this time. Is it safe to assume the standard course is for an automated response right after submission?

Will I get an email stating the OBC has been added or denied? Or do I just wait it out and check online?

Bob-

Thanks for the information.

I thought I would share something that I overlooked. It would seem that when submitting the request via email you should get an automated response from RC stating they got the request and will be working on it.

I never got this when I submitted my request four times over the last month. Today I used a different email address and got the automated response within minutes. So, at least I know it has been received this time. Is it safe to assume the standard course is for an automated response right after submission?

Will I get an email stating the OBC has been added or denied? Or do I just wait it out and check online?

I've always received an email from the shareholder services person confirming that the OBC has been granted.

Do you have to own the stock for a certain amount of time before you cruise?

No, there is no time of ownership requirement.

You only need to own it long enough to obtain a month end brokerage statement showing the RCL stock among your holdings.

In theory you could buy 100 shares on the last day of the month and sell it the next day, use your end-of-month statement for proof of ownership, and still apply for the credit.

It's too easy to qualify, and difficult for them to monitor continuous or future ownership. That's one of the reasons why they have so many restrictions about combining with other credits.

No, there is no time of ownership requirement.

You only need to own it long enough to obtain a month end brokerage statement showing the RCL stock among your holdings.

In theory you could buy 100 shares on the last day of the month and sell it the next day, use your end-of-month statement for proof of ownership, and still apply for the credit.

It's too easy to qualify, and difficult for them to monitor continuous or future ownership. That's one of the reasons why they have so many restrictions about combining with other credits.

Not quite. You can show a purchase statement.(I know that it's called something else, but I can't think of its official name. :o)

It has restrictions because they don't want to give you more than one benefit. When they took away the ability to combine benefits, it was complete. Then they grudgingly gave back balcony discount + book on board and C&A coupon + book on board.