Classic Drink Package

ERLEC

I've seen in another thread that Celebrity Classic drink package now includes wine by glass for up to 9$/glass ?

Their website is not showing that yet... It's still showing beer up to 6$, spirits and wines up to 8$...

I just wanted to confirm.

Not really sure what the correct answer is. If it is $9 for wine then why can't the website state this? Is really that hard to change a couple words on the website of a company the size of Celebrity?

Note to Celebrity: Get your act together! It's not that difficult!

Here's the last pdf update from Celebrity attached. The only thing I wish was that it had an official timestamp within the document .. oh well.

As for the detail on their site, I don't think you'll get much disagreement here that it has it's challenges but that is a topic all it's own :)

Also note that the Celebrity representative who posted the new list asked that we disregard ALL other lists as they are in the process of updating them.

I would not believe that list Poffles.

Some of the drinks on it have gone over the price limit and are now not available on the classic package, according to other posters who have just come off ship and have posted on here.

Some of the drinks on it have gone over the price limit and are now not available on the classic package, according to other posters who have just come off ship and have posted on here.

That's because the ships were told about the increases in prices, but not in the package limits. To use a British phrase, Celebrity couldn't organise a p**s-up in a brewery.

Stuart

It is really confusing that there is a 'list' except as an indication of what current prices are. The packages are sold or bundled with a price limit. This should be with some assurance that a selection of wines, beers, spirits etc (possibly unbranded) are available within the classic package.

It is all about the limit and the onboard prices set by Celebrity. So simple.

There should not need a to a specific list.

This morning I read a post

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42853255&postcount=39

Which says ....

"The Gastrobar food selections ranged from $3-$8. I wanted to order a cider there, but I was told it wouldn't be honored as part of my Classic Pkg (even though it was only $4.50 )".

Not an acceptable constraint given the way in which the package is described/sold or bundled.

I don't buy the alcohol package, or buy rooms with the alcohol package, so have no vested interest, but suggest this is deceitful to those that do.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Well it's direct from Celebrity so don't know how they could dispute? Ironically I'm more a beer drinker and being used to stronger Canadian beer I already have to "learn to enjoy" beers like Coors and Bud so as long as they have that on the package I'll find a way to survive the week :p

I booked our November sailing on the Millennium without knowing about the free drinks package until I telephoned Celebrity to book.

So, any sort of free drinks package is a bonus to me whatever is on offer.

In Europe if you book an all inclusive holiday in Spain or Greece for instance, even Egypt where we are staying in September and have all inclusive, all that is ever offered as part of an all inclusive package, will be house spirits, local beers and soft drinks.

So even with cut backs the Celebrity offer is still fantastic. - to me anyway!

I booked our November sailing on the Millennium without knowing about the free drinks package until I telephoned Celebrity to book.

So, any sort of free drinks package is a bonus to me whatever is on offer.

In Europe if you book an all inclusive holiday in Spain or Greece for instance, even Egypt where we are staying in September and have all inclusive, all that is ever offered as part of an all inclusive package, will be house spirits, local beers and soft drinks.

So even with cut backs the Celebrity offer is still fantastic. - to me anyway!

But if you booked an all inclusive holiday where they had advertised premium brands, then got to find they had changed to just local and house brands you might be just a bit peeved!

But if you booked an all inclusive holiday where they had advertised premium brands, then got to find they had changed to just local and house brands you might be just a bit peeved!

No I would not - as I would never book a holiday/cruise just because I got some free drinks with it.

I book cruises for the destination/itinerary, not for which ship I sail on or the price of it. I booked y holiday in Egypt for the destination and that the dates were right for me. The all inclusive was just given as part of the holiday, same as my November cruise. If I was worried that X or Y drink was included I would simply upgrade for only a little extra - just the price of 1 classic martini a day.

I surmise that the “all inclusive” of which you speak do not charge $49 per day for their drink package. Rather, it is something that is built into the cost of the vacation. Celebrity did not offer the Classic package as part of an all inclusive vacation. Rather, Celebrity offered the Classic Package as an inducement for customers to pay the (significantly) higher cruise fare, or to purchase separately at a cost of $49 per day + 15% gratuities ($56.65 all in per day). I dare say that “house spirits, local beers and soft drinks” are not worth $56.65 per day, nor would anyone knowingly pay as much for them (or for that matter neither would such a bare bones package be an inducement to pay a higher cruise fare).

While I can appreciate your not caring how much your vacation costs or what is included (as long as the itinerary is what you want), the vast majority of folks do attempt to get value for their vacation dollars and thus do consider what it costs and what it includes. Significantly changes to what is included, after the fact, is not consumer friendly.

Edited by Smiles3usa

I bet if you look at the offer closely, it may well say that it can be altered or withdrawn at any time.

Would you rather Celebrity get tired of all the complaints and just withdraw it for everyone, whether they have booked a cruise on the free package alone or not, because of the complaints?

Neither RCCL or Princess list the brands in their drink packages. They are based on drink prices alone.which gives those lines much more flexibility. I'll bet Celebrity is sorta regretting posting samples of brands on their website as they have created a monster:)

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/casual_dining/

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Christine Frances

The cost of the Classic package is $49 per day plus 15%, the Premium package is $59 per day plus 15%. I agree that Celebrity have handled this whole debacle very poorly but in an effort to placate people Celebrity have issued a Classic list of drinks based on what originally was shown on their Website. The prices shown in the bars etc do not have the 15% gratuity added but most beers and cider should fall within the up to $6 price limit. The issue is that some of the advertising has the 15% gratuity added in but rounded to keep things simple LOL, example beers $5 plus 15% = $5.75 or $6 rounded up, wine up to $8 plus 15% = $9.20 rounded down to $9. So the person who requested a cider that cost $4.50 plus 15% = $5.175 should have had this drink covered but as somebody else suggested maybe this information hadn't been rolled out to all the bars/restaurants and the person serving wasn't aware of the changes.

Somebody asked for an updated Premium list which Celebrity were supposed to be working on but that hasn't been forthcoming yet. However, you would think with the higher limits most drinks would be covered with the exception of expensive wines by the glass but as I understand it you can have these wines/drinks and just pay the difference over the limit which you can't do with the Classic package.

My wife and I are not big drinkers but as we have the Classic package included I think we will be upgrading to the Premium for the $10 per day plus gratuity as this $11.50 per day extra would easily be covered if we had just one full price cocktail/martini per day each.

In the scheme of things yes the offer of the Classic drink package was good but we all know that it's already built into the higher costs of the cruises that contain the drinks package but it's human nature that when we see a 'bargain' we just have to have it, the issue comes when that 'bargain' gets diluted as in this case. I would suggest that anybody with the Classic package take a copy of the Celebrity pdf file that they issued and if they have any problems refer this to guest services if they find that they are being billed for something that should be included.

Ray

We upgraded to premium and could have any drink on menu in the passport bar,some cocktails at 11.50$ ,also the list of sprits is so long it includes virtually every thing .It cost 11.50£ per day inc tip which was good value,my beer of choice is Becks which is no longer included along with draft,last year we found the classic more than adequate

Well it's direct from Celebrity so don't know how they could dispute? Ironically I'm more a beer drinker and being used to stronger Canadian beer I already have to "learn to enjoy" beers like Coors and Bud so as long as they have that on the package I'll find a way to survive the week :p

I agree. I took a Greek cruise line trip that Bev package was very restrictive. I made do just fine. I won't complain and will make do. I prefer not to get my panties in a wad over things I can't control.

Drink, sun, sand and enjoy!

• 4 months later...

First post, we have cruised Princess to NZ and about to board our third cruise with Celebrity to China, Korea and Japan on Celebrity Millennium departing Shanghai 9th Oct.

Have just checked the price for the classic beverage package and at $A84.40 per person per day is an absolute joke. That works out at $A2363.00 for two weeks. You'd be an alcoholic by the time you got off the ship trying to get your moneys worth. No way in the world would/could I spend that sort of money on alcohol and am surprised that Celebrity believe that many would.

First post, we have cruised Princess to NZ and about to board our third cruise with Celebrity to China, Korea and Japan on Celebrity Millennium departing Shanghai 9th Oct.

Have just checked the price for the classic beverage package and at $A84.40 per person per day is an absolute joke. That works out at $A2363.00 for two weeks. You'd be an alcoholic by the time you got off the ship trying to get your moneys worth. No way in the world would/could I spend that sort of money on alcohol and am surprised that Celebrity believe that many would.

LOL. We'll the price does not just include alcohol, it includes soft drinks water and coffee too. Ironically the alcohol it does include may very we'll be just bar brands, since Celebrity reserves the right to raise prices at any time and thus effectively remove your drink of choice from the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Something seems wrong. Everything on the ship is priced in US dollars. The classic beverage package is US$56.35 per person per day on the ship which is the base $49 price plus the 15% service charge. Unless I'm using incorrect amounts for $A the price should be far less than your $84. Either that or the exchange rate is off.

With that said the packages are expensive and best for those cruisers that drink above average quantities of the included beverages and/or who are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive beverage experience. You can tell by the popularity of the packages on these boards that many cruisers enjoy them but I assure you that there are many who don't think they are worth it to them and just buy their drinks ala carte on the ship. You can alway purchase the packages on board at the US$ price and you can also do this a day or two after the cruise starts, at a prorated price, if you want to wait until you can check things out to make sure the price is worth it to you once on board.

Edited by Lsimon

We take the Classic Bev package as a perk.., more as a convenience than for cost benefit

I have maybe 3 or 4 alc bev per cruise but really enjoy the teas, Iglu , etc. Only thing missing for me is sparkling water, DH gets his fav beer, scotch and dinner wine..,

if it wasn't a perk, we might buy it for him only....if they pulled the packages altogether it'd be fine with us as well.