Do NOT become to complacent as we did :O(

Shippy

I started to write this on the thread asking about if an Ipad would fit in a safe but decided better for more people to read this.

We have been on almost 50 cruises on all cruiselines.Either used the safe or put things in the suitcase under the bed.

I would say that for the last 2 years we got "lazy".

You know....like leaving the phones on the chargers on the desk,etc.

Our luck ran out 2 months ago on a Princess cruise.

Their nightstands have drawers and an open shelf on the top. I am an insomniac & basically use my ipad for games during the night. Instead of putting it in the suitcase under the bed, I left it on the shelf of the nightstand with some magazines on the top. It was not actually visable but easy to get to.

We left the room in the morning and returned in the afternoon. As soon as I walked in, I could tell that area had been touched. My Ipad was gone and a watch from my husband nightstand.

I actually cried and then called security and demanded to see the video from the hallway.

They said their room keys acted like security because they could see who goes in and out. I said that proves nothing EXCEPT WHO GOES IN AND OUT....not who might take something.

HERE WAS THE REAL SHOCKER.....they said there are no video cameras in the hallways of any of their ships but all over the rest of the ship.

They immediately did a search of our room...I mean complete including looking under the mattress & dumped out our laundry bag. Their reasoning was we might have put these items somewhere and forgot where or....sometimes a thief will hide something and come back for it later.

They did the same search in the cabin of our cabin stewardess. That afternoon, she cried hysterically in the hallyway. She had been with the company 15 years and was scared for her job. It was an awful experience. The next few days I had to meet with different people and fill out all kinds of paperwork. I felt without cameras....you are stuck.

Those who have cruised before, I am sure you have walked down a hallway where a cabin door was left open while the steward left for a few minutes to get something while doing the morning cleaning. Not that you would want to think there are sleaze bag passengers onboard but obviously, you never know.

Plus we had gotten a note the night before they would be working on the balconys the next morning. Lazy me, I never lock the balcony door even though my husband always bugged me to do so.

Bottomline......we got nothing....we got a piece of paper we could submit to our homeowners insurance which we will not do. Probably under the dedutable plus I do not want unnessary claims.

It is a pain to get your luggage out from under the bed and I am sure no one would bother especially not knowing if anything is inside. They go for the easy target.

I have learned my leason the hard way.....

I started to write this on the thread asking about if an Ipad would fit in a safe but decided better for more people to read this.

We have been on almost 50 cruises on all cruiselines.Either used the safe or put things in the suitcase under the bed.

Their nightstands have drawers and an open shelf on the top. I am an insomniac & basically use my ipad for games during the night. Instead of putting it in the suitcase under the bed, I left it on the shelf of the nightstand with some magazines on the top. It was not actually visable but easy to get to.

We left the room in the morning and returned in the afternoon. As soon as I walked in, I could tell that area had been touched. My Ipad was gone and a watch from my husband nightstand.

I actually cried and then called security and demanded to see the video from the hallway.

They said their room keys acted like security because they could see who goes in and out. I said that proves nothing EXCEPT WHO GOES IN AND OUT....not who might take something.

HERE WAS THE REAL SHOCKER.....they said there are no video cameras in the hallways of any of their ships but all over the rest of the ship.

They immediately did a search of our room...I mean complete including looking under the mattress & dumped out our laundry bag. Their reasoning was we might have put these items somewhere and forgot where or....sometimes a thief will hide something and come back for it later.

They did the same search in the cabin of our cabin stewardess. That afternoon, she cried hysterically in the hallyway. She had been with the company 15 years and was scared for her job. It was an awful experience. The next few days I had to meet with different people and fill out all kinds of paperwork. I felt without cameras....you are stuck.

Those who have cruised before, I am sure you have walked down a hallway where a cabin door was left open while the steward left for a few minutes to get something while doing the morning cleaning. Not that you would want to think there are sleaze bag passengers onboard but obviously, you never know.

Plus we had gotten a note the night before they would be working on the balconys the next morning. Lazy me, I never lock the balcony door even though my husband always bugged me to do so.

Bottomline......we got nothing....we got a piece of paper we could submit to our homeowners insurance which we will not do. Probably under the dedutable plus I do not want unnessary claims.

It is a pain to get your luggage out from under the bed and I am sure no one would bother especially not knowing if anything is inside. They go for the easy target.

Sorry to hear that you were victims of theft on board any ship - you are right though I have seen many doors open down the corridor as we leave and come back - it would be easy to run in grab an ipad and walk away not seen probably by anyone.

I can answer your question for ship - Jewel, had a nice safe and my Ipad fit inside along with our paperwork and my purse.

Sorry about that. We usually lock up everything $$ when we leave our cabin. I'm not worried about the stewards so much as random people walking down the hall. The stewards leave the doors propped wide open and they are not always in the room (maybe they are getting supplies, who knows).

I guess you didn't have any trip insurance? Also, some cards like Chase Freedom cover your purchase if it is lost due to theft. I ask about insurance, not to make you feel worse, but because sometimes you really don't think of it. My son had some property damage and I was all set to eat the cost, then I remembered I had insurance for him. It literally took me days to remember this. duh.

I thought they had cameras in the hallways as well.

Sad.

Edited by marci22

How horrid! On our last cruise, we started locking my camera and the better lenses in the safe, but it was a tight fit. It's horrible that your stuff got stolen! I hope you deregistered it. We have all our devices password protected. It's also horrible that the poor cabin steward had to worry about her job.

You're right about dishonest people! Our cabin steward was usually in the rooms as we passed, but his cart stayed in the same place most of the day. I wonder what they do if they find someone in the wrong cabin. I'm not even sure you can see the vanity top from the door. I think you'd have to come all the way into the room.

Robbers can do a lot of damage to your credit by downloading things.

Anybody know how to deregister a Kindle from a cruise ship?

Edited by knittinggirl

I am so sorry for the loss of your Ipad. I know I upload all of my pictures to my laptop and have brought it with me on my last few cruises so I can do a live review. I have never locked mine up or even taken the time to really hide it.

I feel bad for your room steward because she probably had nothing to do with the theft, other than possibly leave your room unattended for a brief moment.

It's a good lesson for the rest of us. My son had his brand new watch stolen on our first cruise when he took it off and left it on a table to swim. Unfortunately, not every one on the ships are honest and trustworthy.

If it wasn't visible I would have thought it would take someone longer to locate it than just a random passer-by seeing it from the door...

Can't believe they don't have closed circuit TV every where on ships now! :eek:

If it wasn't visible I would have thought it would take someone longer to locate it than just a random passer-by seeing it from the door...

Can't believe they don't have closed circuit TV every where on ships now! :eek:

thats what im driving at, there is not much time for a stranger to just walk in and search and find it under a stack of magazines.

who all entered the room according to the security key system?

I am confused...did you not post this on April 14 also ...even using the same title? Did something happen to that thread? I am not accusing anyone of anything...just knew as soon as I read this that I had read it before...As you can see I haven't posted that often and just wondered if sometimes a thread is stopped then restarted later???

....I guess you didn't have any trip insurance? Also, some cards like Chase Freedom cover your purchase if it is lost due to theft. I ask about insurance, not to make you feel worse, but because sometimes you really don't think of it. My son had some property damage and I was all set to eat the cost, then I remembered I had insurance for him. It literally took me days to remember this. duh.

Sad.

Another one for the don't assume or become complacent list -- a number of Trip Insurance Policies (specifically the Royal Caribbean Policy) cover only loss, theft damage to baggage and have specific statement that they do not cover "mysterious disappearance"! ken

Just a thought..most hotels we stay in it seems that housekeeping positions their cart in front (across) of the door as they clean each room..maybe something the cruiseline cabin steward should also do..I find no need for them to leave multiple cabin doors open...one at a time should be the policy.

Another one for the don't assume or become complacent list -- a number of Trip Insurance Policies (specifically the Royal Caribbean Policy) cover only loss, theft damage to baggage and have specific statement that they do not cover "mysterious disappearance"! ken

I always read through the terms and conditions of my policies and I advise others to do the same. I understand that some policies do not cover things like mysterious disappearance but as she said a security report was filed, it could be considered theft.

I always read through the terms and conditions of my policies and I advise others to do the same. I understand that some policies do not cover things like mysterious disappearance but as she said a security report was filed, it could be considered theft.

WRT the Cruiseline Policy - as I interpret, only theft of baggage is covered - not personal items. You'd have to rely on Homeowner's Policy and maybe Credit Card coverage as someone mentioned above. ken

Your insurance will cover your losses....but it still sucks. In hotels, even the room's occupants aren't allowed in the room, unless their key will unlock the door...at least, the hotels I stay in! Doesn't matter if they recognize you or not...they will NOT allow you in the room while they're cleaning unless your key springs the lock!

Lesson learned...put your valuables out of sight! Lock them in a suitcase, if they won't fit in your safe! No one is going to steal an entire suitcase!

Sorry about that. We usually lock up everything $$ when we leave our cabin. I'm not worried about the stewards so much as random people walking down the hall. The stewards leave the doors propped wide open and they are not always in the room (maybe they are getting supplies, who knows).

I guess you didn't have any trip insurance? Also, some cards like Chase Freedom cover your purchase if it is lost due to theft. I ask about insurance, not to make you feel worse, but because sometimes you really don't think of it. My son had some property damage and I was all set to eat the cost, then I remembered I had insurance for him. It literally took me days to remember this. duh.

Sad.

we never buy trip insurance & never needed it before...to many exclusions AND I do consider this MY fault and will take precations in the future.

I do not blame Princess. It could have happened on any ship.

Did you have the app "find my ipad" loaded on your ipad?

I have it on mine and if anyone takes it, they can locate it for you (even gives the address).

You might call apple and see if they can help you.

They tried the 'locater' thing but they said if the ipad was not turned on....nothing would show.

Nothing did.

I had it set up where you had to enter 4 numbers to turn it on. They said after 10 unsucessful tries, it would permanently lock and NO ONE would be able access any of my info...ever

I am confused...did you not post this on April 14 also ...even using the same title? Did something happen to that thread? I am not accusing anyone of anything...just knew as soon as I read this that I had read it before...As you can see I haven't posted that often and just wondered if sometimes a thread is stopped then restarted later???

old you know :O)

I did post it on the Princess site when we returned. I did not think I did on this one. Was reading the thread this morning on here about Ipads fitting in the safe & that is why I did this one.....sorry for duplicate....but it seems some people who did not read the original are reading this so it is a good reminder...

I wound up getting an Ipad mini.

I am technically challenged and was delighted to find all my things had been in a cloud somewhere :O)

But was very sad when I opened up Candy Crush.....remember I am an old lady with insomnia who plays it at night......

For fellow players....you know what a feat it was for me to get to level 425 !

It took me back to level 1 !