Marmite

Just to add...

Marmite, is perhaps an acquired taste as are many things.

However, I have found that Cordite has never received a bad word about it.

Then again, those who have had it never had any other word to say after having it!

Okay, I'll shut up now! :D

marmite1.jpg

Tastes like the bottom of a parrot's cage that's been set alight.....jmo ;)

I was going to ask if the OP meant English Marmite or Kiwi Marmite - they taste HUGELY different but this picture is the English stuff. I'd pass unless I was really desperate.

I was raised on the Kiwi stuff and still like it but it tends to be not very common but Vegemite is usually seen everywhere so I've learnt to like it more now. Then there's Promite and Aussiemite too.... I did really like the Cheesybite that was around for a while. :D

I am a vegemite fan, and would highly recommend it on toast (must be spread pretty thin!) and Dutch dark chocolate hail/sprinkles on top. Yummmm.

This I'm going to have to try - it sounds so wrong and hence why I'm so curious! It's also quite good with a good strong smoked ham, with Avocado or with a fried egg.

Also do not spread it thickly. Never ever.

This I'll disagree with :eek: I can eat the stuff straight off a teaspoon!

Best stuff to have on dry toast when feeling a little queasy in the stomach whether the cause be gastro, motion sickness or hangover! ;) (I take it everywhere now that it comes in a travel friendly squeezy tube)

Edited by madelk

Well, ok then..."nutritional yeast". Sounds like something that maybe came out of the war rationing years? Is it a breakfast thing (on toast) or a snack thing? Or maybe if you are reduced to eating yeast it's just pretty much anytime??? (Sorry -- didn't mean to offend any marmite aficionados. You'd probably think what we do with crawfish is weird, too.)

Will be going on Navigator in August, so will check the WJ for it (although I'm betting that it would be a hard sell to a shipload of southerners!)

Thanks for expanding my condiment vocabulary!!

1902 actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Being raised on both, I prefer Marmite on my toast.

As many have said, it's an acquired taste, just as having an "English Breakfast" with black pudding or blood pudding is also an acquired taste.

Many Americans have never heard of either, while most British eat it, and most enjoy it.:)

Rick

Well, thanks everyone, even though it is after midnight I am going to have to go and make myself some toast. Perhaps with vegemite (haven't had Marmite since I left New Zealand)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As many have said, it's an acquired taste, just as having an "English Breakfast" with black pudding or blood pudding is also an acquired taste.

Many Americans have never heard of either, while most British eat it, and most enjoy it.:)

Rick

Tried black pudding on a cruise a while back. I thought it tasted great but the rest of my system wasn't in agreement. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick

Hi Rick, I am one of those that love both the Marmite & BP.:)

Hope you are keeping well.

John & Margaret

What the heck is marmite and that other vege....... Sounds like something you feed pigs. Is it anything like Nutella spread?

It's the opposite of Nutella..... not in the least bit sweet.... salty, strong and has a heat.... I've used it to perk up a shepherds pie..... it's got a consistency like tar......

What the heck is marmite and that other vege....... Sounds like something you feed pigs. Is it anything like Nutella spread?

You clearly have not read the rest of this thread and the associated links. Marmite (savoury) and Nutella (sweet) are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to spreads.

Pigs fed with Marmite might just make superb bacon (possible business opportunity?) - how that bacon is cured and cooked is for another thread...:rolleyes:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038004

You clearly have not read the rest of this thread and the associated links. Marmite (savoury) and Nutella (sweet) are at opposite ends of the spectrum with regards to spreads.

Pigs fed with Marmite might just make superb bacon (possible business opportunity?) - how that bacon is cured and cooked is for another thread...:rolleyes:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038004

You got me. I was just "yeasting with you." lol

You got me. I was just "yeasting with you." lol

You may just have inspired a gastro experiment - bacon sandwich with Marmite - black pudding with Marmite - I just have to try these now! I shall report back with my results. (I do not like Nutella so that will not figure in my gastro journey into the unknown BTW).

I am also thinking of substituting Marmite for Nutella - Marmite crepes anyone?

Edited by SteveH2508

You may just have inspired a gastro experiment - bacon sandwich with Marmite - black pudding with Marmite - I just have to try these now! I shall report back with my results. (I do not like Nutella so that will not figure in my gastro journey into the unknown BTW).

Stop that. Right now. We have enough trouble with the French without adding Marmite to perhaps the most underrated dessert / snack on the planet. Crepes are meant for grand marnier; or bananas and chocolate sauce; or just simple with lemon and sugar.

Step away from the Marmite......

Stop that. Right now. We have enough trouble with the French without adding Marmite to perhaps the most underrated dessert / snack on the planet. Crepes are meant for grand marnier; or bananas and chocolate sauce; or just simple with lemon and sugar.

Step away from the Marmite......

Fair one - pancakes should be served as you describe - I shall go off into a corner and give myself a severe talking to - and have a cheddar and Marmite sandwich for comfort and rehabilitation.:D

I still don't get why we named the Food of the Gods after a French cooking pot?:confused: Maybe 'Le Creuset' didn't have the same marketing pzazz?

Edited by SteveH2508

I never liked Marmite as a child but when my own children were small, I developed a taste for it. I love it on hot-buttered toast and cut into "soldiers". It's also yummy spread thinly on top of cheese on toast and then popped back under the grill again for a couple of minutes. Mmmmmm....:)

Actually - I've put the stuff in homemade waffles :D then top with tomato and cheese and grill!!!

As for the gastro experiment - perhaps that's a job for Quantum's Wonderland :cool:

Edited by madelk