Anyone refuse to tip on a cruise?

You do realize that even if the cruise line did away with tips, we would still bear the burden of paying the workers, right? I'm not sure where exactly you think it money will come from, other than cruise fares.

When you drop thousands on a GS ,that is where Goldstein needs to pay his staff from. Tips are for good service not to be paying their sole income.

Don't fall out of your chair, great post, agree with almost everything you said.

On the down side of seeing something priced in Europe at €10, is knowing that you could probably get it for about $10 in the US.:D

Speaking as an exbrit, while they don't drive in the right hand side of the road, they are adamant that they drive on the right side of the road.

For the love of all that is holy... I never thought this day would ever exist in a million years.

HAHA! Nicely played.

When you drop thousands on a GS ,that is where Goldstein needs to pay his staff from. Tips are for good service not to be paying their sole income.

My point really was that no matter how you look at it, the wages will be paid by the passengers. You can argue over semantics and insist that it isn't right. But the reality is, if you remove the gratuities, you are taking money out of someone's pocket.

The vast majority of people do not drop thousands on a GS. But I find it even more bothersome to think that someone would spend thousands on a GS then quibble over $14 a day. Basically less than the cost of 2 drinks to receive extraordinary service.

You book a cruise with the knowledge that gratuities are expected and make up the majority of the staff wages. The staff accepts the position with the same understanding. You seem to want to change the rules in the middle of the game.

Edited by galavant3

im thinking it has to be somewhat true ,how else would a staff member know how much is due to them in tips? at the very least its at the end of a cruise, however i read stories that after people have pulled the tips to tip in cash they werent treated the same that night or next day. who knows though.

If you watched the undercover video posted in this thread, then you would see that the staff gets paid every 10 to 12 to 14 days seemingly and at that point they receive their tips. No way do they know where/when/from whom it originated.

You do realize that even if the cruise line did away with tips, we would still bear the burden of paying the workers, right? I'm not sure where exactly you think it money will come from, other than cruise fares.

Some of their Billions (with a B) in profits?

Edited by ttnc4me

If you watched the undercover video posted in this thread, then you would see that the staff gets paid every 10 to 12 to 14 days seemingly and at that point they receive their tips. No way do they know where/when/from whom it originated.

how would they know if RC is shorting them then? there has to be some breakdown somewhere.

I can confirm that the employees do get a print out of each guest they are assigned and whether they have prepaid the gratuities. This was more of an issue back when pre-paid gratuities were less common.

I have discussed this with two different crew members and have seen the waiter checking his list in the MDR.

This is less of an issue now that many of the ships add $12/day automatically.

I do believe most employees know how many guests they serve every week and how much tip they should be receiving with there next payroll check.

Its not that complicated.

I can confirm that the employees do get a print out of each guest they are assigned and whether they have prepaid the gratuities. This was more of an issue back when pre-paid gratuities were less common.

I have discussed this with two different crew members and have seen the waiter checking his list in the MDR.

I do believe most employees know how many guests they serve every week and how much tip they should be receiving with there next payroll check.

Just a point of interest, all the crew is paid in cash, no checks or electronic deposits.

Technically, unless you saw the list with your own eyes, you can only confirm what someone told you. How do you know what the waiter was looking at? Did he/she show it to you?

Just a question... For what purpose would the waiter be "checking his list" in the MDR anyway ? If I opted out of automatic gratuities with the intent to pay in person and I felt that my waiter checked his list and adjusted his service down because he assumed I was stiffing him then that would be what I call a self fulfilling prophecy. Actually, it would make much more sense for the waiter to choose that person to treat better in order to still get a tip. The prepaid people are pretty much a guarantee.

This is a discussion that will obviously never be resolved. There will always be at least 2 camps and both firmly believe what they believe. I don't really care what anyone does about tip. I will do what I choose based on my own feelings. As I have said before, we have the freedom to choose and I have no right to judge. But assumptions and misinformation bother me and I like to know the truth so that I can make an honest and informed decision. So when I question comments made on this board, it is not to be confrontational, but just to try to get to the truth.

I'll say it again-if these lists exist can you imagine the backlash? People crying favoritism, people saying they were treated poorly because the removed the auto grats! Not to mention the backlash in the media.

Yet you really think the industry would open themselves up to that sort of scrutiny, backlash and heck in this day and age potential lawsuits?

All I hear is a lot of I was told this or that. I have yet to see any proof. Because for every person that's been told there's a list I know one-myself included-that's been told there is not one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

List - no list.....no real matter to me.

My strategy is simple.....if I smile to everyone on the ship, from the first crew member I meet and the 'first fellow cruiser' I encounter.....I will give out positive energy. That positive energy will result in much more positive results....better service from the staff and nicer experiences with fellow cruisers.

How nice for a crew member to be 'receiving' a smile or a hello, for doing nothing....just being in my path......I hope they wish that I am at an assigned table or in an assigned stateroom they may have. Our first stop for lunch on day one is the WJ. The wait staff there, is from a rotation of the dining room staff. I am happy to be on vacation and spread that happiness. If you want more.....give more.....is my simple strategy...and it the dividends it has given are 'priceless'....at the end of the cruise, additional tips flow from us...but we have planned on doing that...because we know the services we will get, will be worth it....and we have not been disappointed.

Be wary of what you give out....disappointment comes to many who are disappointing or expecting to be disappointed.

After spending 7 nights getting to know my waiter and assistant waiter I mentioned that we had prepaid our gratuities. He immediately responded that he has a list of everyone and tracks who has pre-paid or not. He showed me the list, and then we discussed his plans for promotion to head waiter.

Technically, unless you saw the list with your own eyes, you can only confirm what someone told you. How do you know what the waiter was looking at? Did he/she show it to you?

Apparently so.

I have always did prepaid gratuities from my 1st cruise. I don't do it based on the level of service I might get or not get but I do it so that it is out of the way and I figure it's the right thing to do. The level of service I receive during the week from my room steward and MDR staff determines how much extra cash I will give them if any the last night of the cruise! :cool:

how would they know if RC is shorting them then? there has to be some breakdown somewhere.

They are under contract to make x dollars a month/year. Whatever they don't receive in tips, the cruise line is required to make up. Why do you think the line wants customers to pay/tip? That's $ that they don't have to.

I would love to know what year RCI made Billions in profits. The best year in the last 5 was In 2011 at 607 million not Billion.

You are correct on their NET. My mistake

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/rcl/financials

However, their EBIDTA is in billions.

A list with what tables/cabins/whatever they are assigned yes. If someone prepaid, maybe, but I suspect a minority actually prepay & simply pay it (are charged it) at the end.

Sure, they can calculate how many guests they serve each week, but at the end, the employees are simply handed the cash owed to them.

Just a point of interest, all the crew is paid in cash, no checks or electronic deposits.

Thank you for pointing that out.

This issue is far more simple than some wish it to be...the staff sign up for a contract to get paid "x" dollars. Gratuities are paid (or not paid) based on passenger choices. This is a service industry. Like any restaurant, taxi, or other service industry, tips are a reflection on the quality of service one gets. The staff is contractually compensated at industry rates...which is far less than most people would likely accept themselves.

In nearly every case on a series of RCI cruises, we have experienced superb service in our cabin, the main dining room, specialty restaurants, and other locations. In a number of cases we have added additional cash directly to staff for our service experience, on top of the prepaid gratuities. Their service level was worthy in our view.

This is obviously a personal experience subject, and not everyone will agree.

That said, it's fair to say that the practice of paying gratuities is not uncommon. If people have a specific problem/issue during their cruise...they certainly are entitled to go to the cruise services desk and explain their situation and request a reduced gratuity amount, just like anyone is entitled not to leave a tip in a restaurant when their service is poor.

Likewise, if their service experience is outstanding, a cruise passenger is entitled to reward the individual(s) responsible. The base gratuities are just that...compensation for doing a good job, and in nearly every case, we have felt it was entirely appropriate to compensate the staff for a job well done.

Gratuities are paid (or not paid) based on passenger choices. This is a service industry. Like any restaurant, taxi, or other service industry, tips are a reflection on the quality of service one gets. The staff is contractually compensated at industry rates...which is far less than most people would likely accept themselves.

I agree with what you've said. The issue, it seems, is that a small number of people are not tipping based on the level of service. They are withholding tips based on a philosophical difference of opinion. If someone receives sub par service (we never have), to me, a reduction is justified.

But to book a cruise - understanding that the crew works primarily for tips, enjoy the very high level of service, and never have any intention of tipping seems a bit unethical.

Edited by galavant3

But to book a cruise - understanding that the crew works primarily for tips, enjoy the very high level of service, and never have any intention of tipping seems a bit unethical.

I have another word for it and its certainly not as nice as unethical.

For sure! I had seen him on another post stirring the pot.

The problem is, it almost needs to be commented on. There are new people browsing here all the time and I wouldn't want anyone to buy into the argument in favor of withholding tips.

The problem is, it almost needs to be commented on. There are new people browsing here all the time and I wouldn't want anyone to buy into the argument in favor of withholding tips.

When did i say i withhold tips? I am just not in favor of giving royal the money.

When did i say i withhold tips? I am just not in favor of giving royal the money.

I don't remember saying that you withhold tips. I was just commenting on the general nature of the thread.

And wasn't it you that titled the thread?

Anyone refuse to tip on a cruise?

Edited by galavant3

I don't remember saying that you withhold tips. I was just commenting on the general nature of the thread.

Forgive me I haven't read every post, but from what I can see most people on this thread do tip. It's more a case of how and when. And that it an individual decision.

At a bit of a tangent, I believe if I remember correctly, that P&O do not add tips on a daily basis (may be wrong here). So when RC (who of course I recognise as being American) have a UK website and folk in the UK are comparing prices, RC cruises look, in my opinion, much better value. It is not obvious in the UK at all and is not a usual way of doing things.

Yes, of course people should read the small print, but its called small print for a reason, its not in big flashy numbers as part of the price of the cruise.

But for what it's worth, I think the service is exceptional in the main, and well worth the tip.

Forgive me I haven't read every post, but from what I can see most people on this thread do tip. It's more a case of how and when. And that it an individual decision.

At a bit of a tangent, I believe if I remember correctly, that P&O do not add tips on a daily basis (may be wrong here). So when RC (who of course I recognise as being American) have a UK website and folk in the UK are comparing prices, RC cruises look, in my opinion, much better value. It is not obvious in the UK at all and is not a usual way of doing things.

Yes, of course people should read the small print, but its called small print for a reason, its not in big flashy numbers as part of the price of the cruise.

But for what it's worth, I think the service is exceptional in the main, and well worth the tip.

I've never cruised P&O but I did check their website (below). I agree with you...I think the vast majority tip at least the recommended amount. I also agree that the service is exceptional.

I understand that it isn't obvious and may seem "foreign" to others. It is not common to add "tips" automatically here in US either (except in certain cases like large parties). However, after one cruise on a particular line, you do know what to expect.

How much should I pay for tips?

At P&O Cruises our crew pride themselves on the service we offer to our customers and we know you will see this every day while you are on board with us. As such we do add a discretionary service charge of £3.95 per passenger (aged 12 years and over) per day to your shipboard account.

100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that have looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool.

This charge is discretionary and we believe it represents a fair amount, remaining one of the lowest within the hospitality industry. We strongly believe that this amount should be voluntary and therefore can be varied at the reception desk at any time; of course we do hope that you agree that the service you receive will warrant the suggested amount and will choose for this to remain on your account.

Of course if you want to tip any other crew member in addition to this, please feel free to do so.