Anyone use Retevis H-777 2 way radios?

I read really great reviews about these 2 way radios and was wondering if anyone used these successfully on a cruise ship? We are planning a family trip on Carnival Splendor. Any suggestions for the best radios out there. :confused:Thank-you.

I would suggest that you not use Walkie-talkies onboard. Generally, reception with them is not so good, even non-existent.

And, beware, this is a real hot-button topic.

I read really great reviews about these 2 way radios and was wondering if anyone used these successfully on a cruise ship? We are planning a family trip on Carnival Splendor. Any suggestions for the best radios out there. :confused:Thank-you.

I've read that most pax say the best radios are ones left at home.:)

Save your money. They won't work well, are intrusive to passengers around someone using them, and aren't even needed. Why would you need to keep in touch with each other every minute on a cruise ship? Let your family have fun!

I hate those things! Being around people using them is as bad as having to endure some putz yapping away on their cell phone while standing behind you in line. So ?@$^ annoying!!! The cruise lines should ban and confiscate them to keep the peace.

On most ships, family members doing their own thing will run into each other more times than you would think. We used notes that we left on the desk. We also got to know the likely places to track down each other when we wanted to. Also there's phones in each cabin as far as I know -- I know that on Princess, there's courtesy phones scattered about and you can call your cabin and leave a voice mail for your family.

And as someone said, there's no need to be joined at the hip. Arrange for a meet up time and place if you're going to dinner or a show together.

I'm traveling with my parents, who are older and nervous. They are staying in a cabin that is not near our cabin. I thought it would help so they can get in touch with us if they have an emergency or problem. I guess I'll have to hope for the best.

I'm traveling with my parents, who are older and nervous. They are staying in a cabin that is not near our cabin. I thought it would help so they can get in touch with us if they have an emergency or problem. I guess I'll have to hope for the best.

If an emergency situation arises, they only need to contact the ship's customer service desk to ask them to page you. Even with the best radios, the abundance of metal on a cruise ship - all walls, floors, ceilings and doors are made of metal for fire prevention purposes - would render them useless in most cases. Radio waves do not penetrate metal well.

To do what? Annoy the living daylights out of anyone nearby as someone shouts uselessly into them?

While these are UHF radios (400Mhz band), which are better than the 900Mhz that a banned poster suggested using earlier this month, they will probably not work well. VHF radios have better penetration than UHF, but you generally have to have an FCC license for VHF. Steel is the enemy of radio transmission, and the ship is a steel box. You may get a radio to work out on deck, but when trying to call up/down several decks, and also the length of the ship, performance becomes very poor.

The ships generally tend to use UHF radios for internal communication, but do it by using repeater antenna placed throughout the ship. Without these repeaters, the radios are useless. You would also find that the "channels" assigned on your radios are close to or the same as the ones used by the ship, and you would be constantly "stepped on" or blocked in transmission by another user, particularly since the radios you propose are less than 5 watts, and the ship's radios are 5 watt radios.

Use a house phone to call your parent's cabin to check in. Some ships are starting to install systems that let you keep track of your family using smart phones after you download the app (NCL's iconcierge, and others).

While these are UHF radios (400Mhz band), which are better than the 900Mhz that a banned poster suggested using earlier this month, they will probably not work well. VHF radios have better penetration than UHF, but you generally have to have an FCC license for VHF. Steel is the enemy of radio transmission, and the ship is a steel box. You may get a radio to work out on deck, but when trying to call up/down several decks, and also the length of the ship, performance becomes very poor.

The ships generally tend to use UHF radios for internal communication, but do it by using repeater antenna placed throughout the ship. Without these repeaters, the radios are useless. You would also find that the "channels" assigned on your radios are close to or the same as the ones used by the ship, and you would be constantly "stepped on" or blocked in transmission by another user, particularly since the radios you propose are less than 5 watts, and the ship's radios are 5 watt radios.

Use a house phone to call your parent's cabin to check in. Some ships are starting to install systems that let you keep track of your family using smart phones after you download the app (NCL's iconcierge, and others).

I appreciate your info and I will just use the house phone. We saw several people using radios on our first cruise last year, some ships even rent them, and they were not annoying to us, but obviously they annoy others. Thank you again for the information and your kind words. It will be nice when we can use the system using smart phones.

• 5 months later...

What arrogant, dismissive and irresponsible replies - apart from chengkp.

The poster asked for help and advice and many of you just wanted to "shout them down".

I have come on here because I too would like advice. With 3000 guests and the diversity of activities on offer and sights to see, together with our different interests & priorities, we will not be "joined at the hip" ! In fact just the opposite and THAT is one reason for staying in touch IF NECCESSARY.

Also, I have been on board in an emergency - admittedly it was a Costa ship where suddenly the crew could not speak English - but the reassurance I would hope to give my partner in those (hopefully, unlikely situations) is paramount I can assure you all.

Two weeks cruising the Med taking my terminally ill Dad and my Mum -BOTH in wheelchairs, was made less stressful as we could stay in touch with them and be there if necessary - whilst still allowing them their dignity, independence and last days together.

However, the main reason for walkie talkies is when we go ashore. You all seem to have overlooked that!

Oddly maybe, but I like to shop, browse local markets and small "hidey-holes" with local craftsmen. In Remedios, Cuba this year, Flooze followed the tour but a local let my ride on their hand-cranked railway cart and took photos. She thought I'd been kidnapped !

Whilst I dwell and try to communicate with "the indigenous population" , she will walk on. We both take hundreds of photos from different angles and then compare later in the day. We each see things from different perspectives. Sometimes, one has to wait for exactly the right moment to get the best shot.

We don't want to have to wait for each other every time BUT we will be in countries and environments we are not familiar with and with the added pressure (for her) of knowing the ship will be sailing away later !

We had an incident in the Grand Bazaar, Istanbul last year, where I went to the aid of some English ladies and Flooze didn't realise and thought she was lost - and the Grand Bazaar is BIG ! Luckily, it was Turkey and a friendly carpet salesman took her in (she is also a very attractive blonde) but I didn't realise the stress I had caused her until I returned 15 mins later and she burst into tears with relief ! In the U.K, she simply would have phoned me. Not so easy in many countries - especially Island hopping.

I don't want to repeat that experience but if 3,000 go ashore at any of the 10 Islands we are visiting, we will get split up. If I want to watch the planes on St.Maarten and she wants to sunbathe, would it not make sense to be able to stay in touch ?

If I want to sneak off to buy her a surprise present, I obviously don't want her in eyesight.

Similarly, as someone on here said, if he rises at 8 and his partner at 11, how many places could there be to rendezvous ? We will be on holiday - chilling out. Not leaving notes and having to return to the cabin/go to Guest Relations etc - we are not lost children children at a shopping mall !

On a Communications Forum, I read that a VHF device is better on a ship - because it is less affected by the steel. So I smiled when I saw C.C had a thread on this very subject as I prepare for Boxing Day but I was shocked by what I read from most of you - apart from cheng, no help at all.

Thank you chengkp75. :o)

A suggestion to you aggressive, smug posters: get OFF your ship, get into town/market/beach/rainforest - divide up and enjoy your holiday BUT STAY IN TOUCH !

Rant over. Stand down.

Capt. K.

However, the main reason for walkie talkies is when we go ashore. You all seem to have overlooked that!

That was not the question posed by the OP.

You make valid points about use ashore but you do not address the legality of use in various countries.

The correct answer to the original post includes the fact that use onboard a cruise ship is often very difficult, sometimes impossible and can be annoying to others.

I think perhaps many people understood the OP's request "if anyone used these successfully on a cruise ship?" as asking for information if anyone had used these on a cruise ship. They would have worded the question slightly differently if they had wanted to use them on shore.

Don't mobile phones work on shore in an emergency? You don't have to switch them on unless you get separated.

Don't mobile phones work on shore in an emergency? You don't have to switch them on unless you get separated.

Yes and no. First the phones have to compatible with the on shore phone system (GSM 4-band or CDMA are the main ones). Second, you may need a "subscription or plan" from either or both home and local phone companies. Or third you purchase a "sim card" (for GSM phones only) locally with a local #.

What arrogant, dismissive and irresponsible replies - apart from chengkp.

The poster asked for help and advice and many of you just wanted to "shout them down".

I have come on here because I too would like advice. With 3000 guests and the diversity of activities on offer and sights to see, together with our different interests & priorities, we will not be "joined at the hip" ! In fact just the opposite and THAT is one reason for staying in touch IF NECCESSARY.

Also, I have been on board in an emergency - admittedly it was a Costa ship where suddenly the crew could not speak English - but the reassurance I would hope to give my partner in those (hopefully, unlikely situations) is paramount I can assure you all.

Two weeks cruising the Med taking my terminally ill Dad and my Mum -BOTH in wheelchairs, was made less stressful as we could stay in touch with them and be there if necessary - whilst still allowing them their dignity, independence and last days together.

Oddly maybe, but I like to shop, browse local markets and small "hidey-holes" with local craftsmen. In Remedios, Cuba this year, Flooze followed the tour but a local let my ride on their hand-cranked railway cart and took photos. She thought I'd been kidnapped !

Whilst I dwell and try to communicate with "the indigenous population" , she will walk on. We both take hundreds of photos from different angles and then compare later in the day. We each see things from different perspectives. Sometimes, one has to wait for exactly the right moment to get the best shot.

We don't want to have to wait for each other every time BUT we will be in countries and environments we are not familiar with and with the added pressure (for her) of knowing the ship will be sailing away later !

We had an incident in the Grand Bazaar, Istanbul last year, where I went to the aid of some English ladies and Flooze didn't realise and thought she was lost - and the Grand Bazaar is BIG ! Luckily, it was Turkey and a friendly carpet salesman took her in (she is also a very attractive blonde) but I didn't realise the stress I had caused her until I returned 15 mins later and she burst into tears with relief ! In the U.K, she simply would have phoned me. Not so easy in many countries - especially Island hopping.

I don't want to repeat that experience but if 3,000 go ashore at any of the 10 Islands we are visiting, we will get split up. If I want to watch the planes on St.Maarten and she wants to sunbathe, would it not make sense to be able to stay in touch ?

If I want to sneak off to buy her a surprise present, I obviously don't want her in eyesight.

Similarly, as someone on here said, if he rises at 8 and his partner at 11, how many places could there be to rendezvous ? We will be on holiday - chilling out. Not leaving notes and having to return to the cabin/go to Guest Relations etc - we are not lost children children at a shopping mall !

On a Communications Forum, I read that a VHF device is better on a ship - because it is less affected by the steel. So I smiled when I saw C.C had a thread on this very subject as I prepare for Boxing Day but I was shocked by what I read from most of you - apart from cheng, no help at all.

Thank you chengkp75. :o)

A suggestion to you aggressive, smug posters: get OFF your ship, get into town/market/beach/rainforest - divide up and enjoy your holiday BUT STAY IN TOUCH !

Rant over. Stand down.

Capt. K.

Sooooo....they work purty gud on shore? Kudos.

On the ship? How'd they work? Spotty or just annoyingly poor?

As the OP was asking about on-board use, many of us were giving our opinion as to why walkie-talkies aren't the best way to communicate ON-BOARD. How is that smug?

As for port use, as some have stated, there are legalities involved. Best to check these out before using (and possibly irking the local authorities). That's why it's best to ask about an international plan that you can use with your existing mobile or find out if there's a phone that you can rent for you and your family members.

Another option is to stay together. Especially when you're talking about ports you are unfamiliar with . There's some ports I've been to two or more times, and I wouldn't go off on my own. But to respond that we're being "smug" but to add "A suggestion to you aggressive, smug posters: get OFF your ship, get into town/market/beach/rainforest - divide up and enjoy your holiday BUT STAY IN TOUCH !" well, isn't that like the pot calling....

The O.P posed a double question, effectiveness on board and specifically; "Any suggestions for the best radios out there?"

I too had the latter question.

C.C. Is usually a great resource for help and advice from members' actual experiences.

Did your responses answer both questions ?

Only chengkp75 responded helpfully to the second.

On board etiquette and privacy should apply to all things and is covered in many areas of the Forum but surely specific requests for help should be answered not derided.

I have now bought our walkie talkies but as I had little/no help from C.C., only time will tell if they are effective - both on ship and ashore.

Shore side legalities apply to everything - one is effectively visiting 10 different countries in 14 days. Walkie talkie use to be added to not carrying firearms, not wearing camo in the Carribean (which I learnt on here!) and not baiting the local constabulary .

C.K.

The O.P posed a double question, effectiveness on board and specifically; "Any suggestions for the best radios out there?"

I too had the latter question.

C.C. Is usually a great resource for help and advice from members' actual experiences.

Did your responses answer both questions ?

Only chengkp75 responded helpfully to the second.

On board etiquette and privacy should apply to all things and is covered in many areas of the Forum but surely specific requests for help should be answered not derided.

I have now bought our walkie talkies but as I had little/no help from C.C., only time will tell if they are effective - both on ship and ashore.

Shore side legalities apply to everything - one is effectively visiting 10 different countries in 14 days. Walkie talkie use to be added to not carrying firearms, not wearing camo in the Carribean (which I learnt on here!) and not baiting the local constabulary .

C.K.

Wrong, and on so many levels, Capt Kev.

A stack of replies, all of them - including Chengkp's - saying that legal walkie-talkies don't work well on cruise ships, isn't deriding the question.

It's answering the question.

Just because they don't say what you want to hear, that doesn't make them arrogant or dismissive or irresponsible.

Yes, you have had help from CC - plenty of folk telling you they're all pretty useless and they're not necessary. If you buy despite those comments, that's not a lack of advice - it's ignoring advice.

I don't understand your comment that the OP "posed a double question".

The OP asked "if anyone used these successfully on a cruise ship?". Followed up by "parents ....... staying in a cabin that is not near our cabin".

No mention of using them ashore.

It is you who asked about using them ashore.

And you asked in the middle of a rant which started "what arrogant, dismissive & irresponsible replies....." and ended with " .....aggressive smug posters".

That's hardly the way to engender helpful replies. ;)

And you've answered your own question. Yes, the use of walkie-talkies is a legal minefield when visiting 10 different countries.

JB :)

Capt.Kev. you do realize that using walkie talkies off the ship can get you arrested? In many countries, and on most of the islands in the Caribbean, the frequencies used by those systems are the same as used by local authorities such as military, fire personnel, police and other local officials. You really do not want to use them off the ship unless you are fully aware of what's legal and what's not.

There's always cell phones, which every European person seems to own, in case of emergencies. And, if someone gets themselves into trouble, even a walkie talkie won't provide much help unless the person they're trying to contact is VERY close by. And even then, if the deed is being done, it will be well over by the time that someone arrives.

Edited by kitty9