Breakaway $170 Massage Then Refused Spa Shower w/o Spa Day Pass Purchase?

cruiseclues

Has anyone experienced this? Obviously one could go to their cabin for the shower...I'm not asking for that kind of answer...but feel free if you must. :):):):)

The spa facilities cost an extra nickel and dime. Doesn't matter how bad you got soaked with a massage, you will pay extra to use the facilities, no exceptions.

Has anyone experienced this? Obviously one could go to their cabin for the shower...I'm not asking for that kind of answer...but feel free if you must. :):):):)

Back in the day, purchasing a service such as a massage or a facial allowed you use to the spa facility for that day. They stopped that a long time ago. I'm not sure if NCL ever did this. Other cruise lines definitely have, but years ago!!

I'm amused but not surprised by the defense of NCL on this.

"It would never occur to me to use the spa shower after a massage if I hadn't bought a day pass." SMH.

I haven't done any spa services on cruiselines in years (I dislike the upsells) but it would be unheard of to go to a high quality spa on land and be denied use of the facilities after having purchased a treatment, at least on the East Coast. Of course, the insane upsells are also completely unheard of at the spas on land that I frequent too. The OP is not at all unreasonable for being surprised at this policy.

That being said, the posters are correct in that this is NCL's policy, as bizarre as it seems. The decision to make on this point forward is whether nor not you choose to continue to purchase services.

Edited by Cretia

You asked direct question, so a direct answer. The use of the spa on all NCL ships has a charge, there is no "free" use of the spa. Getting a massage and utilizing the spa are not related. It should not be much of a surprise as the cost of using the spa is pretty well publicized.

Was the refusal for use of the locker room shower? Or the showers in thermal suite? when I was breakaway I had a spa pass, so this was a non-issue for me. However, even understanding that you cannot use any of the thermal suite facilities without a purchased pass, I would have thought they would let you use the locker room shower after a treatment.

Was the refusal for use of the locker room shower? Or the showers in thermal suite? when I was breakaway I had a spa pass, so this was a non-issue for me. However, even understanding that you cannot use any of the thermal suite facilities without a purchased pass, I would have thought they would let you use the locker room shower after a treatment.

I don't know what would prevent someone from using the showers in the locker room after treatment - I'm sure one has access to the locker rooms with a treatment, to change, and use the restroom.

There is a steam shower in the thermal suite, but you'd have to have access to the whole area to use it.

"It would never occur to me to use the spa shower after a massage if I hadn't bought a day pass." SMH.

I haven't done any spa services on cruiselines in years (I dislike the upsells) but it would be unheard of to go to a high quality spa on land and be denied use of the facilities after having purchased a treatment, at least on the East Coast. Of course, the insane upsells are also completely unheard of at the spas on land that I frequent too. The OP is not at all unreasonable for being surprised at this policy.

That being said, the posters are correct in that this is NCL's policy, as bizarre as it seems. The decision to make on this point forward is whether nor not you choose to continue to purchase services.

I last went on the gem in 2010 aND AM GOING BACK ONIT IN sEPTEMBER. i WAS ABLE TO USE THE SPA FACILITIES FOR A LIMITED TIME AFTER MY TREATMENT AND , AS I WOULD IN ANY SPA IN eNGLAND, I WOULD EXPECT TO DO SO AGAIN. iT IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE THAT I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DO SO. SOME OTHER LINES ALLOW USE OF THE SHOWERS AND LOCKER ROOMS AS AMATTER OF COURSE TOO, BUT NOT ALL.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know DCL let's you use the Spa showers even if you haven't had a treatment! Shame that other cruise lines won't let you do the same.

CCL does not charge for use of their exersise room, Sauna, or showers but does charge quite a bit for the treatments unless you catch a sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I know DCL let's you use the Spa showers even if you haven't had a treatment! Shame that other cruise lines won't let you do the same.

Probably at Disney prices you have already paid that upcharge. I like NCL because allows you to choose where to spend your extra dollars.

Probably at Disney prices you have already paid that upcharge. I like NCL because allows you to choose where to spend your extra dollars.

See my post. Carnival is inexpensive but still does not charge for showers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

And, of course, you can always use the facilities free-of-charge on our wonderful Sun!

I always thought I would get a spa treatment for my upcoming trip on the dawn, but after hearing about being being pressured to buy things , it made me change my mind. I'm on vacation to relax not have pressure. But may get a spa pass to get serenity... If it doesn't include a sales pitch, lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And, of course, you can always use the facilities free-of-charge on our wonderful Sun!

True, but the reason they don't charge for the facilities on the Sun is all you have is a tiny steam room and sauna. A very tiny locker room with about 3 showers. If they tried to charge for that, nobody would pay.

I also think it is absolutely absurd that they do not allow a spa day pass with a spa service. Any land based spa treatment always includes the use of the spa facilities. For this reason alone, there is NO WAY I would ever get a spa treatment on a ship. Half of the relaxation/enjoyment of a massage for me, is the sauna, whirlpool, steam room,etc. before the massage.

I also think it is absolutely absurd that they do not allow a spa day pass with a spa service. Any land based spa treatment always includes the use of the spa facilities. For this reason alone, there is NO WAY I would ever get a spa treatment on a ship. Half of the relaxation/enjoyment of a massage for me, is the sauna, whirlpool, steam room,etc. before the massage.

Isn't part of the problem that the actual spa service is owned and run by a seperate entity, Mandara or something, and the Thermal Suites is owned by NCL? It would be nice if they worked out an arrangement between them for at least a couple hours of relaxation before or after your massage, but if they do not choose to do that, so be it.

But what I do think is ridiculous, is that a shower in the locker room is denied after a massage. I have had a massage combined with facial and scalp massage and believe me I was one greasy mess from head to toe when I walked out of there. I may have frightened a few small children on my long walk back to the cabin.

Even here in Northwest Indiana, my little ole day spa/beauty shop provides a very nice shower room complete with hair dryers so that you can put yourself back together before going back out in public.

One would just assume that anyone who offers spa treatments would also provide the opportunity to shower off afterward. It is just such a basic thing. Put a coin box on the shower door if they must, and charge a quarter for the darn thing.