Gratuities & Tipping Question

weenie2

We are cruising on Celebrity Century in October, and as New Zealanders, tipping is a foreign concept. Pre-paid gratuities are included in our ticket, does this mean we don't need to tip? Are gratuities the same as tipping? Or do we just tip for staff we think were outstanding? Confused:confused:

We are cruising on Celebrity Century in October, and as New Zealanders, tipping is a foreign concept. Pre-paid gratuities are included in our ticket, does this mean we don't need to tip? Are gratuities the same as tipping? Or do we just tip for staff we think were outstanding? Confused:confused:

If you have pre paid gratuities you are all set except they add a tip on to any drinks that you buy. If you have a drink package the tip is included. Anything else is strictly voluntary, very often you may find someone who gives you really exceptional service.

If you sail from your home country and tipping is not customary like UK, NZ and aus then I wouldn't tip baggage handlers!!! I wouldn't dream of tipping the guys at Southampton docks. I've not seen anyone else do this either.

On the ship prepaid grats (tips) are all you need to do to cover steward, waiters etc etc. Room service maybe a dollar per tray so bring some small amounts of cash and apart from that the only thing is drinks.... However with the drinks packages no further grats are needed and without the package the tips get automatically added to the bill so don't pay again!

Very confusing and one of the many reasons why I dislike it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On cruise forums, some call them tips, some call them gratuities or grats, some call it the service charge. You'll find different terminologies all meaning the same thing. If you have prepaid them or have them as a perk in 123 or pick your perk, your stateroom attendants and wait staff are covered. If you buy a drink or get your hair done or have a massage the tip is added to the price before they total it on the check. No need to have cash for any of these. The only thing to add is that some people give a dollar or two to the delivery person if you order room service

Very confusing and one of the many reasons why I dislike it.

Confusing is a matter of perspective. We are used to this in the US and aren't confused at all. But, whenever I have rented a car in the UK or Australia, I found that having to drive on the wrong side of the road was confusing. One of the reasons I think you should change to driving on the right like most of the world does. :D

Edited by boogs

On cruise forums, some call them tips, some call them gratuities or grats, some call it the service charge. You'll find different terminologies all meaning the same thing......

You left out "Bribes"

It really gets my goat when I read about some guy boasting about the fact that he has ensured he gets good service because he gave the waiter a "strong handshake" when he first got on board.

We all have different views on tipping/gratuities...but bribes...shudder... they should be banned!

..... and so long as the steering wheel is on the side if the car that is nearest the centre of the road, it should not be confusing wherever you are.:D

You are, however, welcome to give an additional gratuity/tip to any staff member who you feel has done an extraordinary job. We always bring some extra cash long for this purpose. It's not mandatory but even a little bit extra goes a long way for these folks who are isolated and far from home.

Confusing is a matter of perspective. We are used to this in the US and aren't confused at all. But, whenever I have rented a car in the UK or Australia, I found that having to drive on the wrong side of the road was confusing. One of the reasons I think you should change to driving on the right like most of the world does. :D

No pal - a lot of countries drive on the correct side of the road - left just ask South Africa - Zimbabwe - India - Japan - Australia - New Zealand - Bermuda to name a few. Maybe the yanks need to catch up with the world metric wise and stop living in the past

No pal - a lot of countries drive on the correct side of the road - left just ask South Africa - Zimbabwe - India - Japan - Australia - New Zealand - Bermuda to name a few.

Sorry, but you lose this argument. Here is a complete list of all countries that drive on the right (note that "right" also means "correct") side of the road vs those that drive on the left (AKA: wrong):

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/list-of-left-driving-countries/

The map clearly shows which is more popular.

Maybe the yanks need to catch up with the world metric wise and stop living in the past

Too funny! The English have been around for millennia as opposed to our less than 300 years, and we should stop living in the past???? Seriously? Maybe we Yanks know how to live in the present as opposed to being stuck in a rut on the left side of the road. :D

Edited by boogs

I wouldn't be to critical about who drives on what side of the road - foreign tourists have killed 4 New Zealanders on our roads over the current long weekend. Quite a touchy subject this part of the world at the moment.

weenie2 I have researched with fellow kiwis who have been on Celebrity Ships previously and prepaid gratuities / tips / surcharge (whatever) and had drinks packages and they didn't tip any extra. There is a 15% surcharge on just about everything on board these ships so unless someone is extra special I wouldn't bother any additional tips. We are on the Solstice in Feb next year and our compulsory tips equate to around $US700 over the 35 days. More than enough in my opinion. If wages are not up to scratch then that is not a passengers concern. Understand that P & O ships permanently operating out of Australia have increased the crew wages and done away with compulsory gratuities because the Aussies wont pay them.

I would be interested to hear what happens in the Main Dining Room on the last night as I understand many passengers don't eat there because that is the night the staff come with their upturned palms.

If you do decide to tip anybody the currency on board is US dollars so I would arrange to get some 1 and 5 dollar bills just in case. I wouldn't get anything bigger because one can always add multiples of the smaller bills.

You will find on some of the threads that some cruisers ( mostly American ) allegedly pay hundreds of dollars in tips. I think this is really big noting myself, but if they do and feel comfortable with it so be it.

Don't know quite where the subject of driving on the left/right came from but I can assure you the people from New Zealand, Australia and indeed us British are perfectly happy and contented to drive on the left and manage just beautifully... Thank you for your concern. :)

Now what other random topics would you like to discuss? Gun crime maybe?

Don't know quite where the subject of driving on the left/right came from but I can assure you the people from New Zealand, Australia and indeed us British are perfectly happy and contented to drive on the left and manage just beautifully... Thank you for your concern. :)

Now what other random topics would you like to discuss? Gun crime maybe?

LOL,

BTW, I am not sure if you are supposed to tip your mugger separately or is that included in the loss of wallet fee?:p

Edited by MicCanberra

If you have paid your gratuities/tips upfront then you have paid and no need for extra. Some state they give extra for outstanding service - that should be the norm! If I didn't get outstanding service then I would reduce my tips.

If passengers give extra then it will be expected and double tipping will be the norm.

I really object to the 15% charge on drinks when often we collect our own because no waiter appears.

I also understand why some don't go the the MDR on the last night as there does seem an air of expectancy that extra will be given. We always thank all the staff for their work but do not give above the daily charges.

Only in the US have the porters put their hand out for tips - a way of life in US

Off topic, but, how about changing to the metric system as ALL of the rest of the world does :D:D:D

Back to tipping - entirely up to you how you tip. Many tip extra for service "above and beyond" - When in Rome.........

Like you I have seen the terms 'above and beyond' and 'outstanding service' but have yet to understand these terms in relation to my cabin being cleaned or my food served:rolleyes: any specific examples would be appreciated!

I expect my cabin to be clean and my food served as requested within a reasonable time scale so what do cruisers get beyond this?

I would give a tip if I asked a member of staff to do something extra for me that was not part of their role but otherwise I do think the gratuities are sufficient.

Like you I have seen the terms 'above and beyond' and 'outstanding service' but have yet to understand these terms in relation to my cabin being cleaned or my food served:rolleyes: any specific examples would be appreciated!

I expect my cabin to be clean and my food served as requested within a reasonable time scale so what do cruisers get beyond this?

I would give a tip if I asked a member of staff to do something extra for me that was not part of their role but otherwise I do think the gratuities are sufficient.

And if they are sufficient why cant they just include them in the base fare price? On board drinks list prices include the gratuity ....

Firstly, I would say that the wages paid to cruise workers are not the minimum wage we get in the UK. Like a previous poster mentioned, they wouldnt tip baggage handlers in Southampton as they are paid minimum wage at least, and dont rely on tipping - there are those who would as it is customary practice where they're from or simply give a little extra thinking their bags will be looked after and not ending up overboard. People on the ships do rely on tipping to supplement the low wages - some may say its not our fault , but the cruise lines, but thats the way it is unfortunately. The gratuities are more a service charge than a tip as they are part of the wages and not an extra to their wages.

I will tip extra only for "above and beyond" If I get lousy service I will not tip extra, and wont do it at home either. If someone has put a smile on my face and provided me with something special, then I will say thank you by tipping extra eg. the speciality restaurants can be fabulous so I will tip just like I do at a restaurant at home. The cabin steward I will usually tip as they are usually so helpful and will go out of their way to make my stay a pleasant one. If they are not helpful, which sometimes does happen, then I will not tip extra. On our recent cruise we dined in Blu. The service was exemplary by all the staff so we gave the Matre'D an envelope to share amongst all the waitstaff who made our dining something to look forward to every day. Tips are included in the drinks, but we may tip some bar servers who serve us straight away, know what we drink, know our names, and have time to exchange pleasantry's. The guy who brings us room service breakfast, if we have it, will get a couple of $$ for being prompt and having a smile on his face to start our day with.

That is our interpretation of "above and beyond" - yours may be different - thats OK - whatever you feel is right, is right. My "when in Rome comment" was made as in a big part of the world, tipping is the norm as it supplements wages, and how we do it in the UK doesnt really apply when cruising around the world. The amount you tip is also up to you. I will pay what I feel something is worth, there are guidelines and opinions around as to how much is appropriate, but you ultimately have to decide how much, if any, you think something is worth.

I have an example for you.

First night of our cruise we are in the MDR and we order a baileys with dessert (we are select dining). Every night for the rest of the cruise, we receive a baileys delivered to our table, directly after the mains dishes are cleared but before we can order dessert and/or a baileys. This happens no matter which table we are at and no matter what time we are dining and even occurred when we were in a specialty restaurant. That is service above and beyond. And yes, she got a nice tip at the end of the cruise.:D

I have an example for you.

First night of our cruise we are in the MDR and we order a baileys with dessert (we are select dining). Every night for the rest of the cruise, we receive a baileys delivered to our table, directly after the mains dishes are cleared but before we can order dessert and/or a baileys. This happens no matter which table we are at and no matter what time we are dining and even occurred when we were in a specialty restaurant. That is service above and beyond. And yes, she got a nice tip at the end of the cruise.:D

Were you charged for the Baileys? If not then I would accept that service has gone above and beyond.

Were you charged for the Baileys? If not then I would accept that service has gone above and beyond.

I take it from your remark that if it were not charged for - then you would tip because you had a financial reward? That server did not have to supply that drink unless it was requested, but showed initiative and did it without being asked - that is service above and beyond in itself. We had afternoon canapes delivered if we filled out a form each day. We asked to change it for a cheese plate with some grapes. After a $2 tip for delivery, we never had to fill in the form again and got a fruit plate with our cheese plate everyday - again service not expected but had.

We are happy to tip to thank those that give us a treat - it does make a difference to our cruise experience - perhaps you have denied yourself having enhanced service and just prefer standard service. Your choice of course, but I do think you are missing out.

I take it from your remark that if it were not charged for - then you would tip because you had a financial reward? That server did not have to supply that drink unless it was requested, but showed initiative and did it without being asked - that is service above and beyond in itself. We had afternoon canapes delivered if we filled out a form each day. We asked to change it for a cheese plate with some grapes. After a $2 tip for delivery, we never had to fill in the form again and got a fruit plate with our cheese plate everyday - again service not expected but had.

We are happy to tip to thank those that give us a treat - it does make a difference to our cruise experience - perhaps you have denied yourself having enhanced service and just prefer standard service. Your choice of course, but I do think you are missing out.

BTW, there was no financial reward for this person at the time or times, just a big thank you and lots of big smiles. There certainly was at the end of the cruise though. Thank you Raisa, we think of you every time we have a Baileys now.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Mr Joseph S Schmoe (who, along with Mrs Schmoe, jointly represents the Schmoes of Tallahassee) wonders about your reference to the metric system. If you were serious about going metric you would be reporting weight in Newtons and pressure in Pascals (1N/M^2). The kg, as defined in the metric system is a unit of mass, not a unit of weight. At least the English system reports weight in pounds which are true units of weight (force actually but we won't quibble). The pound originated as a unit of trade during medieval times (or earlier). One pint of milk weighs one pound. What accessible physical entity is the kg associated with?

On the topic of tipping.....

The Schmoes are generally of the opinion that cabin stewards, when providing adequate service, are deserving of $20/week/cabin in excess of the pooled gratuities collected by the cruise operator. Twice, the Schmoes have been in situations where there were two teamed stewards cleaning our cabin. There are three possible alternatives;

a) forget about tipping completely (penalizes the steward for a cruise line policy)

b) split the tip so that each steward receives $10/week (default choice but our experience is that the individual stewards fell shortchanged)

c) give each steward the $20 and don't worry about it (penalizes the passengers for the cruise line policy)

How do other board members handle this?

I would choose C) because an extra $20 is not a great deal for us compared to the amount it would be for the cabin stewards.