What would you recommend?

barb&steve

We are heading to Alaska on September 6th...what tours would anyone recommend. We think the Bike and Brew in Juneau looks like fun. We are seniors, but active. This will probably be our one and only trip to Alaska...

We are heading to Alaska on September 6th...what tours would anyone recommend. We think the Bike and Brew in Juneau looks like fun. We are seniors, but active. This will probably be our one and only trip to Alaska...

Ketchikan: Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. Very entertaining.

Juneau: Tracey Arm in the small boat or Taku Glacier Lodge. Also, have a few beers in the Red Dog Saloon. If you're lucky you'll be docked within a block of the Red Dog.

Skagway: The narrow gauge railroad. Also, visit the historical museum. it's very cheap and interesting.

Skagway - I prefer the bus up the Yukon Pass, because it has more comfortable seats stops for scenic overlooks, great view of the falls, and takes less time which leaves time to do other things.

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier and Historical Museum.

Ketchikan - guided walking tour.

Take a look at the Ports of Call sectionof Cruise Critic and go to the one about Alaska. There will be loads of items.

Mickie

Juneau: We did the whale watching and glacier combo tour and saw dozens of whales. Lovely day. Bring good rain gear. In September Tracey Arm may not be an option...it wasn't for us when we cruised in late Sept.

Skagway: We did the Yukon/White Pass Railway. It's an all-day excursion so good value for the price. Or rent a car and do the drive yourself. Skagway is quite boring if you stay within town limits. The view along that highway is unreal.

Ketchikan: Never did an excursion on either cruise. Town centre is my favourite of the three stops so we just meander.

My $.02:

Juneau: Tracy Arm or whale watch

Skagway: Combination helicopter ride thru the mountains, landing on a glacier and dog sledding (our all time favorite excursion).

Ketchikan: Misty Fijords

Yes, Misty Fjords float plane...a once in a lifetime experience.

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier helicopter to the top as well as walking around the bottom

Our cruise didn't go to Skagway, unfortunately, as yours above sounds great. DH's favorite all time excursion was the zipline at Icy Strait Point (first and last time I let him sign me up for an excursion as I'm afraid of heights)....beautiful. We also went to Sitka where the rain forest tour was interesting if not fabulous.

I would definitely do a helicopter ride to see glaciers with a stop to walk on one (we did that out of Juneau).

Also, the whale watching is a must, there are a few ports you can do this.

And I second the Misty Fjords plane ride, really a beautiful trip.

Also, be sure to eat Salmon, smoked, grilled, even if you don't think you like salmon, the Alaska salmon is amazing.

Highly recommend the Bike and Brew in Juneau. It is a little challenging, but you said you were active. Also we did the Deadliest Catch Tour the first year it was offered. It is awesome, but it helps if you enjoyed the Deadliest Catch show. ;) Sitka is a very nice port to just walk around. Tour the Russian Cathedral and just have some pastries and coffee. Touring the old fort area and walking around the State Home. Really nice. We did not do any of the expensive things like helicopter tour to the glacier or salmon fishing.

Dennis

Take a look at the Ports of Call sectionof Cruise Critic and go to the one about Alaska. There will be loads of items.

Mickie

Mickie's right, there a lot of options. That's one of the great things about Alaska. Many are pricey but they are once in a lifetime experiences. We went a little overboard (no pun intended) with excursions on our first cruise there. But, our thinking was we didn't know if would ever be lucky enough to get back and we didn't want to come home and say damn, we should have done such and such. Never regretted splurging like that and have many unforgettable memories.

We went a little overboard (no pun intended) with excursions on our first cruise there. But, our thinking was we didn't know if would ever be lucky enough to get back and we didn't want to come home and say damn, we should have done such and such. Never regretted splurging like that and have many unforgettable memories.

Me too.

I did end up going back for a two week on my own land trip and one week cruise and that time I did very inexpensive things in ports, but I was glad that I had spent all that money to do all the once in a lifetime things on what I initially thought would be my only Alaska cruise.

It was back in the 90s and I don't remember the stop but we did a flight on a very tiny seaplane right off the ship (a HAL tour) to the Hole in the wall glacier. We landed on a lake, stood on the pontoons to listen to the stillness! Once at the glacier, we had a great salmon lunch. We took a short walk and ran into a bear. We also saw bear and fjords while flying. Loved it.

Our float plane excursion to Misty Fijords in Ketchikan was exceptional. Definitely the highlight of the entire trip.

I have to agree. Breathtaking scenery!

Juneau: Helicopter to glacier. Have done this twice and it was awesome!

Skagway: White Pass train trip. Again, stunning views.

We did a canoe trip across Mendenhall Lake to the glacier. That was one of the best excursions we've done. Beautiful!!

I've heard rave reviews about the whale-watching excursions. We haven't done it yet, but plan to next time in Alaska.

Edited by Shebba

...don't know what your ports are but, if you're getting to Anchorage/Skagway, the Mt. McKinley sightseeing flight is incredible - especially if you get lucky and the weather is clear around the mountain. Very pricey, but truly awesome!

1. Juneau - We loved the Mt Robert's Tram. but wait to book it at port in case it is foggy or raining. It is across the dock close to where your ship ties up.

It is suitable for all ages and physically easy on you if tire easily or are not up to strenuous exercise.

2. In Sitka we did Fur, fins, and feathers, enjoyed it, not too physically taxing.

3. Katchican hired out a private Salmon Fishing tour. Was great but expensive

Enjoy you trip, ours was amazing

When we went to Alaska, I did lots of research about the ports that we were to visit. We did our own walking tours and had a great time. I also did some reading about life in Alaska during the Gold Rush. It made the towns come to life for me. Some of the books I read are:

Klondike Fever by Pirre Berton

Good Time Girls of the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush: Secret History of the Far North

by Lael Morgan

Klondike Women: True Tales Of 1897-1898 Gold Rush

by Melanie J. Mayer

Edited by geocruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Juneau: Harv and marv whale watching. Longest whale watching excursion in Juneau, we were on the water for like 4 hours. The seats are airride(not sure if right term) the kind truckers have. Didn't even feel like we were on the water. Probley on the boat two minutes and we saw a whale.

Sitka: got off boat payed 3$ for a bus ride to fortress of the bear, feed the bears for $100 up to 4 people (they give you a ton of food) got back on the bus ask the lady to take you to the raptor center, then when your done there enjoy a walk thru the tongess national forest back to the boat, or go shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app