Question about cabins on Lower Promenade deck

cricri7

Hi guys.....I may be going on another cruise, Maasdam from Mtl to Boston, and the prices are a bit too high for my favorite cabin, which is a Lanai. I love the Lower Promenade deck because it only has cabins for 2 people. Because of that, it is more quiet than other decks. The lowest price on that deck is for HH obstructed view. I never had problem with people talking and walking on the deck when in a lanai because the bed is located not directly next to the door. However, the head of the bed, I think, is located just underneath the window for the HH. I am wondering if you can hear people if they decide to stay underneath your window or if you hear the thumping from people jogging, even if they are not allowed to....some do it in spite of the big signs!

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Edited by cricri7
correction

We've had 5 Lower Prom non-lanai cabins on R or S class ships and the only noise problem we ever had was a man playing a guitar outside our window for an hour or so! It was early evening and not loud music so we didn't ask him to stop or move.

Edited by catl331

I, for one, have never understood the fascination some people have with lanais. Like passengers parading outside the window, or crew members hosing down everything -- including windows -- at sunbreak.

We have always preferred an inside J on the Lower Pedestrian deck. Just a few steps away from the biggest elliptical balcony. Inside K may warrant consideration, depending on price and location.

Last month we had an inside, J 3354, on the Amsterdam. Splendid.

Edited by barante

Hi guys.....I may be going on another cruise, Maasdam from Mtl to Boston, and the prices are a bit too high for my favorite cabin, which is a Lanai. I love the Lower Promenade deck because it only has cabins for 2 people. Because of that, it is more quiet than other decks. The lowest price on that deck is for HH obstructed view. I never had problem with people talking and walking on the deck when in a lanai because the bed is located not directly next to the door. However, the head of the bed, I think, is located just underneath the window for the HH. I am wondering if you can hear people if they decide to stay underneath your window or if you hear the thumping from people jogging, even if they are not allowed to....some do it in spite of the big signs!

We spent 70 days in room 398 ... from mid Jan to end of March .2013 ..loved it ... nice and quiet and still a bit of view ... would book that vicinity again in a heart beat... no deck chairs under our window so no problem with people holding a conversation .. only once did someone move a deck chair.... and he slept. easy access to the back elevator ... go for it ...:)

I have never heard a peep. Just remember to keep those curtains closed at night. You have a better chance having a cabin below and hearing them jog which is now really allowed.

People can jog now? Not too many joggers on Holland usually:)

Thanks to all your answers! Yes...I love lanais. I had one once and my parents had one another time, while I was in an inside just in front of them in a J, and was always squatting their chair. The workers in the morning did not bother me much when I stayed in a Lanai but like I said, the head of the bed is not directly underneath the window.

I took note about the bread making!!

Thanks again....Now, I just have to decide:)

People can jog now?

Not on the deck you are considering. Jogging and running are not allowed on that deck as people are sleeping directly below them.

The "now" in the post you referenced was most likely a typo of "not".

Edited by RuthC

Not on the deck you are considering. Jogging and running are not allowed on that deck as people are sleeping directly below them.

The "now" in the post you referenced was most likely a typo of "not".

Yet, RuthC, that sign on the Lower Prom, aft and forward, is interpreted by some as meaning no running at the ends of the ship, running is fine along the sides.

For 33 days we had a lady running along the sides, walking at the ends! She got a few dirty looks but I guess no one complained.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Yet, RuthC, that sign on the Lower Prom, aft and forward, is interpreted by some as meaning no running at the ends of the ship, running is fine along the sides.

For 33 days we had a lady running along the sides, walking at the ends! She got a few dirty looks but I guess no one complained.

There's always at least one. :rolleyes:

If you are looking at the HH cabins that are more midship, know you will be under the galley. Some of these rooms get noise from the bread making machines in the early (4am-5am) morning.

Remember the galley goes across the entire beem although parts of it are not marked as such on some of the deck plans*. I was in 390 on Veendam (a C at the time- not sure it's category now) and it was under the dishwasher and provided sound effects ( along with the clean dish cart) until midnight.

*On a previous cruise on Amsterdam my TA and her HAL contact were both trying to convince me it was a good deal to trade our reserved J for an HH (under the unmarked area of the galley) because " that wasn't galley above". It was not marked on the plans HAL posted but per my plans from the galley tour of a sister ship the HH was under one of the busier areas if the kitchen ( and confirmed by another CC'rs post).

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Our favorite HH is forward, but not ALL the way forward (They are under the theatre.) No real noise, no issues, just enough of a view to still feel like you are "outside", and only steps away from the door outside. (I'm a fanatical walker... cant you tell? :D ) Price is right too...