Power Strips

This is probably another one of those cases where my favourite saying applies: "The exception does not disprove the rule". It is my understanding that power bars are not allowed because they overload the electrical system. Others have said they have had their power bars taken away.

Many folks bring them....we've never needed one, as we can plug and unplug stuff as needed! Only once did we bring an extension cord, as hubby had injured his shoulder, and needed a heating pad....the cord on the pad wasn't long enough to reach past the vanity, so we brought the extension cord, so he could sit in a regular chair !

I see extension cords listed as a not recommended item to pack; but what about power strips?

I would hate to bring it along only to have it taken away from us.

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Hi,

"Power srips " - I remember seeing some on a table at the Port Canaveral cruise terminal ...... so perhaps if they see them during the xray of the carry on baggage ..... they might take them and keep them untill one gets back from the cruise.

Please read this article published by Coast Guard:

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

I have this

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/397132/Ativa-Mobil-IT-Portable-Power-With/

usb_travel_kit_2.jpg

usb_travel_kit_3.jpg

It has 2 grounded AC chargers (one on top, one on side) and 4 USB ports (two on top, one on each side). The power cord to the wall disconnects from the charger itself; whatever travel plug in equipment I use I made sure the cord/power pack disconnects from the item. I have never had to give up any electrical item. I stumbled upon it while looking locally for the Belkin plug displayed above. Very happy with this charger.

Edited by LMaxwell

Hi,

"Power srips " - I remember seeing some on a table at the Port Canaveral cruise terminal ...... so perhaps if they see them during the xray of the carry on baggage ..... they might take them and keep them untill one gets back from the cruise.

Please read this article published by Coast Guard:

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

This is a more accurate explanation of the reason power strips are not wanted. Note it doesn't have anything to do with the ship being overloaded by too many things plugged into a strip. It is because the circuits on the ship work differently than on land. If there is a fault the strip may pop but only disconnect one side. Current will still flow through the rest of the strip even if the breaker on the strip has tripped. This is the fire hazard. If you use them remember to unplug them when your not in the room with them.

This is a more accurate explanation of the reason power strips are not wanted. Note it doesn't have anything to do with the ship being overloaded by too many things plugged into a strip. It is because the circuits on the ship work differently than on land. If there is a fault the strip may pop but only disconnect one side. Current will still flow through the rest of the strip even if the breaker on the strip has tripped. This is the fire hazard. If you use them remember to unplug them when your not in the room with them.

Thank you so much for all the responses.

And thank you for this great explanation. Very interesting and informative and nicely put. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Hi again,

I guess, after reading the article that I posted the link to it ........if I was going to take some sort of an 'adapter' to give me more outlets ..... I would take the most simple adapter/spliter without any surge protection . It would give me the extra outlets and it would be the same as plugging whatever I was going to use, directly in the ship's provided outlet.

Something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_411133-43469-5508_4294722476__?productId=3805421&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Edited by wieslaw

So far, we've been OK with this one:

belkin-power-usb.jpg

I bring one, and we hide it under our bed.

I've carried the one Bob pictured on our last 6 cruises, carried in both my carry on and my checked luggage, and have never been questioned. We have never hidden it...just plug it in at the mirror. I really like the USB ports on it, in addition to the 3-prong plugs.

Edited by Goes Cruising

• 7 months later...
I've carried the one Bob pictured on our last 6 cruises, carried in both my carry on and my checked luggage, and have never been questioned. We have never hidden it...just plug it in at the mirror. I really like the USB ports on it, in addition to the 3-prong plugs.

Thanks for the advice

May I ask where you purchased this, and if it emits a lot of light if charging items at night.

TIA

Jules;)

Thanks for the advice

May I ask where you purchased this, and if it emits a lot of light if charging items at night.

TIA

Jules;)

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420665938&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+surge+protector+with+usb

I have to 3rd this. Best travel purchase I've ever made. You don't think about needing more plugs until you want to charge your phones, camera battery and ipads/kindle and then want to dry your hair at the same time.

First time in 41 cruises they took our 5 plug adaptor with cord that rolls inside. We got it back at end of cruise. Need it for CPAP and fan. Needed extra extension cord which we took and they didn't say anything about that. Think it is up to scanner.

Stateroom attendant brought us 5 plug power strip.

Thanks Bob: that looks great.

All I need now is to find an Aussie version so I don't have to take a bunch of adapters.

Jules

There are two versions of this adapter. Be sure to order the 2.1 amp version for the ability to charge things like tablets via the USB connector.