Lobster Dinner on Alaska Cruises

rayandshirl

Last year we did a back to back out of Vancouver and never made it to the dining room to eat. We were always too involved in watching for wildlife, etc.

Is the lobster dinner really good and worth making the time for?

We're returning to Alaska with Princess in July.

Thank you.

I have kind of given up on cruise ship lobster. It's not because of quality - though I'm sure that they're not in the same league as fresh caught Maine lobster, they certainly don't taste bad (maybe chewy)- but because I've learned the waitstaff HATES lobster night (and actually count down their contracts by how many lobster nights they have left). Apparently the lines to collect lobster are long and slow moving, and that is why so many waiters will bring an extra right away, or have one on their serving table, just in case a diner wants more.

In view of that, the lobster isn't any better than other things on the menu, so I just go with something else. And I would not make a point of going to the dining room just for lobster. JMO

I don't know if they still do this but on our 2012 Coral Princess Alaska cruise there were 2 special seafood lunch buffets on deck: an Alaskan Fish BBQ leaving Ketchikan (mid-afternoon if I remember correctly) and a Seafood Buffet in Glacier Bay. The latter was wonderful! There were mussels, crab cakes, two types of salmon and the most wonderful halibut I’ve ever tasted – it melted in your mouth. We arrived at the Fish BBQ late and not hungry (having eaten earlier) but it looked like it was a great success.

I agree with others - I wouldn't go to the MDR specifically for the lobster. It's okay but not the classic Atlantic lobster tail I'm guessing your imagining. I would however go for their seafood grill skewers or the Alaskan Crab legs. Alaskan crab legs were offered as an appetizer last week on the Pacific Princess . . . OMG . . . delicious. I could have (and should have) ordered two or three and made that my dinner along with a salad.

I agree with others - I wouldn't go to the MDR specifically for the lobster. It's okay but not the classic Atlantic lobster tail I'm guessing your imagining. I would however go for their seafood grill skewers or the Alaskan Crab legs. Alaskan crab legs were offered as an appetizer last week on the Pacific Princess . . . OMG . . . delicious. I could have (and should have) ordered two or three and made that my dinner along with a salad.

Thanks for the tip on crab legs, I'll order three please.:p How's the salmon ? wild Alaskan or frozen farm raised ?

Just got off the Star Princess and the lobster night was the only night we ate in the MDR. DH and I both ordered a total of 4 lobsters (2 each). They were small and nothing to write home about. The prawns served with it were very good. We also ate in the Crown Grill and we both ordered surf and turf and the lobster tail was somewhat larger than what we got in the MDR. I wouldn't go the MDR route again just to get lobster.

Thanks for the tip on crab legs, I'll order three please.:p How's the salmon ? wild Alaskan or frozen farm raised ?

The salmon is wild Alaskan and UNBELIEVABLE!!! If you like salmon you will LOVE it!:D

Just got off the Star Princess and the lobster night was the only night we ate in the MDR. DH and I both ordered a total of 4 lobsters (2 each). They were small and nothing to write home about. The prawns served with it were very good.

This is true, IMO. The prawns are tastier than the lobsters. The lobster tails are very small, not much bigger than the prawns. Of course, I am a shrimp freak and will eat it anywhere and in any form, so I guess my opinion is biased.

I don't know if they still do this but on our 2012 Coral Princess Alaska cruise there were 2 special seafood lunch buffets on deck: an Alaskan Fish BBQ leaving Ketchikan (mid-afternoon if I remember correctly) and a Seafood Buffet in Glacier Bay. The latter was wonderful! There were mussels, crab cakes, two types of salmon and the most wonderful halibut I’ve ever tasted – it melted in your mouth. We arrived at the Fish BBQ late and not hungry (having eaten earlier) but it looked like it was a great success.

We were on the Coral May 17-24 of this year. They had the Alaskan BBQ at the grill after leaving Ketchikan with crab cakes, scallops, fish, shrimp and more. They also had the seafood buffet in Glacier Day. It was delicious! And the salmon was fresh. I wish I was on the boat eating dinner right now!