Moving from HAL to Oceania... Or?

MrOZ

Hi all,

I'm sure this has come up before, but after searching, I couldn't find particularly definitive answers, so I hope you won't mind my question. My wife and I have cruised together three times, all on HAL, and the last time, we found ourselves seriously unimpressed with the food and the level of service. (Review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050240 (which includes a bit more history))

Next August (2015) is our 10 year anniversary, so we wanted to do something special, and it seems like HAL's Neptune suites, while very nice cabins, are still on mass-market boats with lackluster food and lots of corners being cut. Accordingly, I was considering alternatives (most notably Oceania and Regent Seven Seas, though I'm open to other suggestions) for our next cruise.

Here are my questions:

1) Does Oceania sound like the right choice for people who care a lot about quality (and interest) of food?

2) How would you compare the O-class to R-class ships? We were on the 2000 passenger Vista class HAL ships (Zuiderdam and Westerdam) and the 1300 person S class (Veendam). Either one was okay with us, and smaller seems like it would be fine, too, but I don't really know what to expect. Obviously, the R-class are smaller (and have fewer speciality restaurants? Is that a big loss, or is the GDR good?) What are opinions on the different ships relative to each other (or relative to HAL)?

3) Are there particular itineraries you love or would avoid on Oceania? Although our anniversary is in September, it's much easier for us to travel in August.

4) Accommodations: We've stayed in the Neptune Suites on HAL, and while they're very nice and we appreciate the size, I'm not sure it's strictly necessary. We tend to pack lightly and eschew formal nights, but we also tend to like some space to ourselves, and therefore do spend a decent amount of time in the cabin. Based on what I've found, I'm trying to decide between non-concierge Verandah (no one seems to think the Concierge is worth it? Is that true?) and the lower-end Penthouse Suites. We are not wealthy, but we are comfortable and don't typically vacation often or extravagantly, so we're willing to spend more if it's really worth it. I realize this is a personal value judgement, but any advice would be appreciated.

5) Anything else we should know?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MrOZ
caught one typo, but I bet others remain.

As you are much interested in the quality of food, I believe Oceania would please you. The O ships have a larger variety of specialty restaurants (4) as well as La Reserve so that would be my recommendation for you.

Also, the Terrace Café has a much larger variety at their grill station (daily lobster tails, jumbo shrimp) and endless variety of other choices. The MDR, IMO, is nothing special and WE ate either at the specialty restaurants or the Terrace Café.

I would definitely recommend booking a PH suite (PH3?) not only for the spaciousness but also for the fact that in the PH and above you can dine in your suite comfortably and order from any restaurant.

As for itinerary, you should pick the one that appeals to you most. There is no difference otherwise other than the fewer tender ports the better, IMO.

I am certain you will enjoy your Oceania cruise :)

Edited by Paulchili

You can compare cabin sq footage on the O website to see which Cat you would be most happy in

You would need to get an Oceania suite on the O class ships to have the space + that you are used to

or a Vista suite on the R-class ships

If you can live with less space the PH will be fine

I would say in each Cat PH or A the difference is Location with some exceptions EG aft PH are said to be slightly smaller

If you need/want a butler the PH or above would be the one to choose

Food is subjective but you will get quality ingredients on Oceania

Both size ships have their pro's or cons it is really personal preference

We like both size ships & go for itinerary

No formal night so you can pack less ;)

I am sure you will hear from others with more discerning tastes than I

We like the B or C cabins but that is just us

Unlike my friend Paul we like the GDR ..I dislike buffets even the wonderful ones on Oceania ..we will eat there if too tired for a long meal in the GDR

YMMV

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

As you are much interested in the quality of food, I believe Oceania would please you. The O ships have a larger variety of specialty restaurants (4) as well as La Reserve so that would be my recommendation for you.

Also, the Terrace Café has a much larger variety at their grill station (daily lobster tails, jumbo shrimp) and endless variety of other choices. The MDR, IMO, is nothing special and WE ate either at the specialty restaurants or the Terrace Café.

I would definitely recommend booking a PH suite (PH3?) not only for the spaciousness but also for the fact that in the PH and above you can dine in your suite comfortably and order from any restaurant.

As for itinerary, you should pick the one that appeals to you most. There is no difference otherwise other than the fewer tender ports the better, IMO.

I am certain you will enjoy your Oceania cruise :)

What he said, but I would add go on both the R & O ships then decide for yourself. It's all good but we prefer the O ships.

O sounds like a perfect fit for you. Since you love food I'd go for the O ships simply because they have two extra specialty restaurants, Red Ginger and Jacques, among the best at sea. And do splurge on a penthouse. They are superb on the O ships.

The food on Oceania is hands down great, even in GDR and buffet. Fresh croissants baked daily are simply wonderful. Oh and tea time! Unfortunately, my expectations were set too high for La Reserve, but even then, the wines were fantastic.

DH and I have only sailed on an O-class ship, so I can't help with a comparison to the R-class. We liked the size of the ship, it wasn't too big or small. It didn't feel crowded at all. There was always a spot to sit by the pool. We did book an R-class for August of next year (Vancouver to NYC).

Itinerary is more of a personal preference/choice kind of thing. How long long do you want the cruise to be? What part of the world do you want to visit? I would agree with limiting the number of tender ports of call, but wouldn't rule a trip out just based on that. My best suggestion is to use the advanced search on Oceania's site.

It does sound like the PH would give you a good amount of room. We stayed in a Concierge cabin and mainly used the lounge part of the benefits. I don't think it was worth it, in hindsight.

We have sailed on many lines, after our last HAL trip I would never go on them again as I found the ship run down. As for Oceania I would recommend them to anyone with a few things to consider. We go on the large ships as we bigger rooms and a bigger ship. Food is very good all around and we love the lido. Shows are very good IMO however the show lounge is small so the shows are not like HAL. We have stayed in cat A & B cabins. IMO cat B is great value also cat C if a balcony is not necessarily. The ships have no promenade deck at all. Give it a try.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advice so far! So is there a consensus so far that the verandah (rather than PH) seem very cramped for people who spend time in the room? I looked at the pictures/layouts, but it's hard to get a sense for it, because actual space and subjective space can differ significantly.

Like I said, the size of the HAL Neptune suites are definitely overkill, but we also would rather not feel very cramped, either. It's hard to compare sizes directly, as HAL includes the verandah size. I haven't yet worked out our budget precisely (and the itineraries we're looking at range from 7 to 12 days with substantial variation in price), but I want to know whether we would be okay with a verandah cabin rather than a suite if the PH price stretches things.

Thanks again for the advice so far!

I posted this for a similar question on my Roll Call.

We went on 6 HAL cruises in a little over 2years both and ended up feeling like you did - the last 2 were a real disappointment. We booked our 1st Oceania in Mar 2013.

Quote:

Catherine: what is your opinion on HAL versus Oceania or there really is no comparison to speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are differences for sure; the biggest one is the food. See this report:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...light=reposado

We got so hyped over this that I think we were a bit let down - but only about the food in the specialty restaurants. We have only been on Riviera 3 times and going again in a few weeks so I can't speak for the "R" class ships.

Riviera decor and furnishings are much more modern and updated than HAL - although I haven't been on HAL's newest ships - Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam.

HAL cabins are larger - especially the suites. The PH category on Riviera is the size of the SY/SS cabins on HAL. The SC/SB/SA cabins with access to the Pinnacle Lounge are noticably bigger and their balconies are much bigger too.

HAL wins hands down on the Pinnacle Lounge as compared to the Executive or Concierge Lounges on O ships. The staff in the Pinnacle greet you by name the first time you walk in - they have memorized the faces from your ID card. Someone is always there as well - hard to find staff in the O lounges even during their posted hours.

HAL also has a complete wraparound promenade on all their ships which reminds me of ocean liners pictures from the 40's and 50's although I never travelled on one.

Neither has great entertainment or late night partying.

Bottom line - if food isn't a priority, there is great value going on a HAL cruise - especially if you wait til after final payment - when they have a tendency to fire sale the prices -especially on Caribbean and sometimes European cruises. The one ship they don't firesale very often is the Prinsendam - a 680 passenger ship - built originally for Royal Viking Line - a luxury line.

For instance, right now you could book the 7 day Caribbean for $598pp for a balcony and $1996 for a Neptune Suite - with Pinnacle Lounge access.

My last comment before I put you to sleep with all this detail is about the passengers and others have commented on this too. Much as the HAL passengers are very nice, I have made more friends on my 3 Oceania cruises so far than all my HAL cruises. No idea why.

Catherine

Edited by cruisingxpert

Thanks for the advice so far! So is there a consensus so far that the verandah (rather than PH) seem very cramped for people who spend time in the room? I looked at the pictures/layouts, but it's hard to get a sense for it, because actual space and subjective space can differ significantly.

Like I said, the size of the HAL Neptune suites are definitely overkill, but we also would rather not feel very cramped, either. It's hard to compare sizes directly, as HAL includes the verandah size. I haven't yet worked out our budget precisely (and the itineraries we're looking at range from 7 to 12 days with substantial variation in price), but I want to know whether we would be okay with a verandah cabin rather than a suite if the PH price stretches things.

I love the penthouse cabins and if you can get 7128 or 7133 you will have a balcony that is larger than the Neptune suites. If you can get 7130 or 7135 you will have the balcony like the HAL aft wraparound without the sliding doors going out the back of ship. Their sliding doors are at the side .

Oceania also in includes the balcony in it's measurements

Remember the prices on O include airfare so if you do not want or need it you will get a small reduction for cruise only

We have no problem in 165 sq ft outside cabin for longer cruises some will not sail in anything less that a PH ..it is all about your personal needs/wants ;)

We have taken only one Oceania cruise (with another booked for later this year). We typically sail on a luxury cruise line (Regent -- sister company to Oceania) so our standards are quite high. We only considered the larger, newer ships, the Riviera and the Marina due to suite size and dining choices.

I went onto the HAL website and see that the Neptune Deluxe Veranda Suites are 568 - 644 square feet. However, as you stated, you are still on the same ship with the same service, food, etc. We found Oceania's service to be outstanding. The ship was the most beautiful we have sailed on to date. The food in the specialty restaurants was amazing. We stayed in a Penthouse Suite (420 square feet) and did not find it small by any means. The suite is laid out better than some larger suites we have stayed in. At first we wondered about the small table and chairs at the foot of the bed -- they looked rather odd in the photographs. However, when we were sipping wine or having canapes (delivered by our butler), it was romantic and quite lovely.

The closets are walk-in and much easier to access than in the lower category suites. For a special anniversary, I cannot think of a better place for the two of you to be.

You mentioned that you prefer to sail in August. Unless you enjoy intense heat, I would avoid the Mediterranean as the heat can be quite extreme in August (many locals go on vacation for that reason during the month of August). That part of the world is lovely in April/May and late September/early October. There is a 7 night cruise on the Marina on August 14th (Baltics - Copenhagen to Stockholm) and a 12 night cruise - also on the Marina -- Stockholm to Amsterdam on August 21st. At the moment they are both offering a special of pre-paid gratuities. Here is a link to the 7 night cruise http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/balticandscandinavia/mna150814/default.aspx .

Really think that Oceania is the best decision. I would book soon in order to take advantage of the pre-paid gratuities. Just realized that I sound like I'm trying to sell Oceania. I'm not a travel agent -- just a very satisfied customer:D Let us know what you decide.

Edited by Travelcat2

I vote for the r ships. You will love the intimacy of fewer than 800 passengers. They have all just been refurbished I too recommend a ph

I also agree the GDR is not that good. We too avoid it. But you should try everything and judge for yourselves

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by pacheco18

We generally prefer the R ships to O ships but when comparing specifically for food and cabin size, the O ships are better, IMO.

With 2 extra restaurants, La Reserve, better Terrace Café (and cooking classes) O ships beat R ships for food. The PHs on O ships are MUCH nicer and bigger as well. For most other things (size, intimacy, atmosphere, interaction between passengers themselves and passengers and staff, etc) we do prefer the R ships.

To OP - try them both and then you can decide for yourselves :)

We generally prefer the R ships to O ships but when comparing specifically for food and cabin size, the O ships are better, IMO.

With 2 extra restaurants, La Reserve, better Terrace Café (and cooking classes) O ships beat R ships for food. The PHs on O ships are MUCH nicer and bigger as well. For most other things (size, intimacy, atmosphere, interaction between passengers themselves and passengers and staff, etc) we do prefer the R ships.

To OP - try them both and then you can decide for yourselves :)

Completely agree with that assessment and recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am not by any stretch a cheerleader for any line however I really feel you can not compare HAL to Oceania. On my last HAL trip the AC nor the toilet worked my room on a regular basis in a hot place to no resolve. I do not feel this would happen on Oceania.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

We made the jump to Oceania and aren't looking back. Have only been on an O class ship, loved the Riviera, will be on an R ship next year. We're happy with a standard verandah, so can't comment on PH, but in every respect were delighted with the service and food on Oceania, friendliness of the staff, beauty of the decor, the great food, the "right size" of the ship, helpfulness of the cabin stewards -- and did I mention the food?

We took 4 HAL cruises in 2 years, 3 on the s ships and one on the Prinsendam. This year in April we took the TA on the riviera in a balcony cabin. We will never go back to HAL. Yes, Oceania in pricier, but everything is better. The lido buffet on HAL was something we avoided. We couldn't believe how good the terrace cafe is on O. The food on the specialty restaurants is terrific, and we liked the mdr too. I can't comment on cabin size as I spend virtually no time except for sleeping there. I think you'd be very happy with O.

No doubt you get a lot for your money on HAL, especially the size of the Neptune Suite. But, having sailed on Zuiderdam in a Neptune Suite and Riviera in a PH, Oceania provides a clearly superior product (as it should based on the relative prices charged). BUT, if you are used to sailing in a Neptune Suite, it may be difficult to adjust to any O accommodation smaller than a PH (which, itself, is considerably smaller that a Neptune). This is not to say that HAL doesn't provide a significant cruise value compared to O. But as to overall quality of the experience, including dining, O stands out.

Here's my take based on our experiences on both HAL and Oceania.

HAL used to be our preferred cruise line but the product has changed dramatically since we started sailing with them in the early '90s. Once known as the "spotless fleet", HAL now suffers with ships that are ill-maintained and some are plagued by long-standing plumbing and A/C issues. Staterooms are still some of the largest at sea, but even their much-vaunted Neptune Suites are outfitted with mid-level furnishings, average bedding and tired linens. Food is mediocre at best and menus are uninspired. Staff and crew are overstretched which impacts service and attention to detail. But on the positive side, HAL has plentiful public spaces, gorgeous teak wrap-around promenades and still offers some superb itineraries not easily found elsewhere.

Oceania is in a different league. Their ships are meticulously maintained and attention to detail is everywhere. Staterooms, while smaller than HAL on average, have superior appointments, luxe bedding and quality linens. Food is outstanding with quality ingredients, proper execution and superb presentation. Staff and crew are attentive and service-oriented. Oceania is country club casual all the time and the atmosphere on-board is convivial and friendly. But Oceania has no lovely wrap-around promenades, itineraries can be predictable and pricing can reach luxury line levels.

We now find it very hard to go back to HAL and are glad we discovered Oceania. I think you'd feel the same!

No doubt you get a lot for your money on HAL, especially the size of the Neptune Suite. But, having sailed on Zuiderdam in a Neptune Suite and Riviera in a PH, Oceania provides a clearly superior product (as it should based on the relative prices charged). BUT, if you are used to sailing in a Neptune Suite, it may be difficult to adjust to any O accommodation smaller than a PH (which, itself, is considerably smaller that a Neptune). This is not to say that HAL doesn't provide a significant cruise value compared to O. But as to overall quality of the experience, including dining, O stands out.

You get very little for your money on HaL.... if you count the total expense door to door HAL is way more expensive overall. If you count air fare, tips, soft drinks coffee's, specialty restaurant's Holland for me in a regular balcony compared to a regular on Marina or Riviera, is 20% or more more expensive. Then the ships are only 1200, and all one class....subtle and classy. No fancy dress up nights, all open seating, ..... I switched years ago.

you get what you pay for.... and its not there on Holland even in top suites on Holland ...your still on a mass market mega ship...structured and nickel/dime

Having cruised 16 times with HAL and about to go on my 3rd cruise with Oceania my wife and I (and even our teenage kids!) have decided that we don't prefer Carnival owned product after our New Year's cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, cruise on the Sapphire Princess in 2013 and a cruise last November on Seabourn. This is certainly just a preference and don't want to get anybody upset or up in arms who loves HAL, Princess etc., but Oceania is simply fantastic! We feel Oceania provides us what we are looking for in a cruise experience. Some will find that Princess, Holland America etc. is their cup of tear which is why there are choices.

We have found our Oceania cruises to be a class act all around. YES - food is amongst the best on the high seas. Oceania tends to attract mindfully youthful and even youthful cruises who enjoy quality, food and service without all the pomp and circumstance. You will never feel crowded on Oceania.

Although Neptune Suites are nice on HAL they are no comparison to the Penthouse Suites on the O class ships. The R class ships have nice Penthouses (especially now after refurbishment I hear). Bedding is simply heavenly as is the quality of the furnishings, bathroom fixtures and service.

Little differences resonate throughout Oceania such as a beautiful pool area where you don't feel packed like sardines and quietly awesome service. Lounges are adorned with cushions AND terry cloth covers and are quite posh and comfortable. I honestly was disappointed with the same sling back lounges on HAL that they use on Seabourn and Carnival - they are identical and frankly very uncomfortable. Again, little thing but makes a difference to the whole picture.

Another Oceania feature we enjoy is the country club casual dress code. You won't find a Titanic recreation formal night on Oceania. Rather you will find refined elegance and in our experience most passengers looked terrific at night and actually much more polished that what you see on HAL (Again, don't want to get anybody excited - just my experience and observation).

Lastly, (although there are many) I will comment on the lack of pushing revenue producing items on Oceania which makes the week very enjoyable. For example, there are no photographers and my family loves that. Nobody will ask you for an annoying snap shot in the middle of dinner etc.

All in all I really enjoy Oceania and we have 2 upcoming cruises on this line. Additionally, we have enjoyed Oceania's sister company Regent, but prefer not to have the all-inclusive shore excursions as we like to go off independently on our own or with small groups and a private guide to avoid the crowds. Nonetheless, Regent is equally excellent in my opinion.

In summary HAL may be a great product and perhaps is a Chevy with option to upgrade to the Corvette (i.e. Neptune Suite) whereas Oceania is more along the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus etc. Unfortunately, you are comparing apples to oranges. That being said, nothing wrong with a Chevy!

It's all been said. And probably decided by the OP. But I have to chime in. We were Celebrity suite fans for years. Tried a HAL 7-day cruise in a Neptune suite. Liked the size of the suite and the huge verandah. Found the food very average. Nothing about the cruise shouted "come back". Then we tried our first Oceania on the new Riviera a year ago. Wow! Best food, service, crew attitude and bedding we've ever had. So we booked the T/A this past April for another two weeks on Riviera. Love the ship, food, crew, bedding and our Penthouse. Now we have booked Marina for Tahiti to Lima next April. Big negative would be their outrageously expensive excursions and transfers etc. Internet and drinks are pretty hefty too. But, we just can't seem to get away from Oceania now because it really is a big step up in the areas that count to us. I'll toss in one more plus - you never have to put on a tux or gown!

We're still not fully decided (so expensive!), but I think our next cruise will be Oceania. Thanks, all, for the advice.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk