Dissapointed in Norweigen Sun to Alaska

pattiek

I booked 4 cabins - 3 cabins had never cruised before so all my comments are for me and my husband as we have cruised 5 other times on 2 other lines.

Our trip started with us walking into our room and finding the linens had not been changed from the last people just straightened. The bathroon had hair all over it, I found beads on the floor and all the windows and mirrors had fingerprints. We called for housekeeping and a supervisor came up and had it cleaned up.

We looked at their All you can drink program - $49.00 per day and you have to buy your own cup . I brought 5 seniors and 2 people - in different cabins wanted to soda program and they would not sell to them because everyone in the cabin had to buy it as well - except we spoke to a couple from Alabama and he bought the card but she did not have to, so a little inconsistant. I only have 2 other lines to compare to, but the customer service on the Sun was horrible. We dealt with so many people who would not smile or even say hello when we ordered a drink. The friendliest was our house keeper Maxy - he was pleasent - did not change the sheets everyday, but pleasent. The food on the whole ship was ok - not the caliber in the evening dining room as I am used to on other lines but good. I do understand that this is a cruise to Alaska and the clientelle is usually older so they may not be as adventerous with the dining - so I will say it wa good. Entertainment was very good.

The ship is very dated - it has not been updated in a while - the hair blowers in the cabins are boxes on the wall behind you with a 1 1/2 inch hose that blows a gentle breeze - as long as you do not strangle yourself or get a hand cramp from holding it. The walls are dented and scraped up along with the furniture. There is no mass buffet towards the end - they had a chololate dessert night at evening supper and in the buffet area.

Over all the cruise itinery was awesome but the Sun was disappointing. I am a home based travel agent and would not book clients on the Sun until the modernize their ship and improve customer service.

Maxy might have been pleasant but who cares he didn't clean your room from the previous pax. Disgusting

I'm doing a lot of back reading on the Sun for a year on this forum since I will be in it for 14 nights.. and I know from reading that this ship has lots of fans...

So I was expecting a lot of violent reactions the moment this thread was created... hehehe

I'm doing a lot of back reading on the Sun for a year on this forum since I will be in it for 14 nights.. and I know from reading that this ship has lots of fans...

So I was expecting a lot of violent reactions the moment this thread was created... hehehe

for the most part I think the reaction has been pretty mild. I just think, with the exception of a dirty cabin, no excuse for that, the Op is complaining about minor issues; I don't know any line that changes sheets regularly without asking. I don't know of any ship 13 years old that is going to be glitzy like the newer ones and I have a little problem understanding how someone could be a travel agent and just now posting on CC. As my husband mentioned, he remembers me spending a couple of hours a day (most days) reading and posting when I was still working. I also have a little problem with a TA that didn't know the procedure and requirements for purchasing drink packages. I guess this is all possible if she is a brand new agent.. We all started somewhere and had to learn.

Now enjoy your cruise. Just remember The Sun isn't a new ship, you will not get a lot of glitz and glamour like many Carnival ships, but you will get one of the nicest crews at sea, you can enjoy the wonderful port intensive experience and be sure to try both, Le Bistro and Modernos. Oh, and the days you are not in port, give Modernos lunch a try. It is a wonderful and fun Italian deli experience or was when we sailed last December.

Oh, and the days you are not in port, give Modernos lunch a try. It is a wonderful and fun Italian deli experience or was when we sailed last December.

Thanks, I didn't know that Modernos serve Italian deli lunch during sea days..do they have a cover charge during lunch time?

Coz if they do, the UDP will not be valid at lunchtime so have to pay extra to have lunch at Moderno..

Thanks, I didn't know that Modernos serve Italian deli lunch during sea days..do they have a cover charge during lunch time?

Coz if they do, the UDP will not be valid at lunchtime so have to pay extra to have lunch at Moderno..

nada, no charge, just as open as the MDR, buffet or whatever else. The night time Brazilian Steak house has the best salad bar I have had at sea and up to par with what we get on land, plus the service was outstanding. It is well worth the $20.00. If we didn't get a few free meals because we are platinum I would do the UDP for sure. I don't think you will be sorry.

nada, no charge, just as open as the MDR, buffet or whatever else. The night time Brazilian Steak house has the best salad bar I have had at sea and up to par with what we get on land, plus the service was outstanding. It is well worth the $20.00. If we didn't get a few free meals because we are platinum I would do the UDP for sure. I don't think you will be sorry.

Yes, I know about the salad bar at Moderno and was looking forward to it, in fact with the UDP I will go to Moderno just for the salad bar for appetizer every night, then have main course either at Cagneys or Le Bistro. Need more variety on the food as it is a longer 14 day cruise so the UDP will be very helpful in achieving this.

Will definitely try the Moderno for lunch on the second day which is a sea day.

I invested longer and more on RCCL crown and anchor status, but unknowingly, just found out that I will become NCL Lattitudes Gold after this cruise which is just my 2nd cruise with NCL... and will even overtake my RCCL status until next year...

As I just learned that I will be earning 3 points per night, one extra point for booking this under Lattitudes insider promo which I was not aware of that extra point benefit when I booked as I was more interested in the OBC back then.. and another extra point for booking more than 9 months in advance for this cruise... given this is 14 nights, this will give me a whopping 42 points just for this cruise without me being aware of this at first.

Edited by roquejo

I have been impressed by all of the "it's my favorite NCL ship" comments I have read, and am looking forward to trying something new in a few months on The Sun-my first NCL cruise. I am quite pleased with Royal Caribbean, but there are a few things that I don't like. So I am hopeful that I will enjoy "cruising like a Norwegian"...!

Maxy might have been pleasant but who cares he didn't clean your room from the previous pax. Disgusting

^This is also what threw me. Ronaldo, our steward last year, worked his butt off for his rooms. Yes, he was friendly, too, and I'm pretty sure that we got our linens changed out once mid-week - the day that our towels that we'd been re-hanging after use were mysteriously bone-dry and folded. And he was willing to go find someone in housekeeping to take an iron to one of the cleaning tags (on a sock - hello blisters) they put on during the laundry sale so the fabric wasn't damaged. Why is the OP friendly with someone who isn't doing their job after it was pointed out to them? It doesn't make sense.

Was the Sun perfect last year? No. The acrobat show got very high marks, but the musical review show ... yikes. And as much as I loved the view from the forward lounge, when they brought out the live music to butcher love songs, stationed front and center, yikes again. That said, there was live music on board that was good, it was just in different venues without the view; pick your poison. Would I sail her again? Absolutely. Will it be my next cruise or vacation? Nope; but then, even if a Seattle native had a great time on a southern caribbean destination cruise, I wouldn't expect them to want to do that trip again immediately, either.

Have to agree that walking in to an uncleaned cabin is pretty gross. We cruise a lot and am pretty sure that the stateroom hosts aren't the ones that strip the rooms between guests, they just make them up. Almost sounds like someone got moved mid cruise to another cabin and the cleaning just got lost in the move. Lets hope anyway.

It is unfortunate for the traveling public that the title/position "Travel Agent" can be purchased rather than earned. And it is especially bad for the "real" pros out there.

Thank you so much. This is a huge problem with home based agents. Many know about as much about cruising or travel period as a 10 year old. That is why I think everyone using a agent needs to check out their experience and cred. I will add, there are many outstanding agents and some very good home based companies.

I am not posting this as an insult to the OP, but just to point out, just being an agent means almost nothing. It takes a lot of experience and a lot of travel to make a good agent. Plus a lot of time doing research so the agent can give clients good and knowledgable advise.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I booked 4 cabins - 3 cabins had never cruised before so all my comments are for me and my husband as we have cruised 5 other times on 2 other lines.

Our trip started with us walking into our room and finding the linens had not been changed from the last people just straightened. The bathroon had hair all over it, I found beads on the floor and all the windows and mirrors had fingerprints. We called for housekeeping and a supervisor came up and had it cleaned up.

We looked at their All you can drink program - $49.00 per day and you have to buy your own cup . I brought 5 seniors and 2 people - in different cabins wanted to soda program and they would not sell to them because everyone in the cabin had to buy it as well - except we spoke to a couple from Alabama and he bought the card but she did not have to, so a little inconsistant. I only have 2 other lines to compare to, but the customer service on the Sun was horrible. We dealt with so many people who would not smile or even say hello when we ordered a drink. The friendliest was our house keeper Maxy - he was pleasent - did not change the sheets everyday, but pleasent. The food on the whole ship was ok - not the caliber in the evening dining room as I am used to on other lines but good. I do understand that this is a cruise to Alaska and the clientelle is usually older so they may not be as adventerous with the dining - so I will say it wa good. Entertainment was very good.

The ship is very dated - it has not been updated in a while - the hair blowers in the cabins are boxes on the wall behind you with a 1 1/2 inch hose that blows a gentle breeze - as long as you do not strangle yourself or get a hand cramp from holding it. The walls are dented and scraped up along with the furniture. There is no mass buffet towards the end - they had a chololate dessert night at evening supper and in the buffet area.

Over all the cruise itinery was awesome but the Sun was disappointing. I am a home based travel agent and would not book clients on the Sun until the modernize their ship and improve customer service.

When did you go on this trip? My sister and I are going in 3 weeks, and she said the ship was updated in 2011.

Just got back from a 28 day cruise on the Sun and agree it is an old ship, but was super clean. The staff was marvelous.....loved them. Looking into doing another cruise on the Sun because it was that great. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Thank you so much. This is a huge problem with home based agents. Many know about as much about cruising or travel period as a 10 year old. That is why I think everyone using a agent needs to check out their experience and cred. I will add, there are many outstanding agents and some very good home based companies.

I am not posting this as an insult to the OP, but just to point out, just being an agent means almost nothing. It takes a lot of experience and a lot of travel to make a good agent. Plus a lot of time doing research so the agent can give clients good and knowledgable advise.

You and fishin' musician are both absolutely right. There are travel agents and there are travel agents, I used to manage some of them :eek:. Some are wonderful, experienced and are always learning - others are doing it just because it seems a glamorous thing to do. Being a home based TA is a very difficult thing to do. I learned new things everyday from those I worked alongside, something it's difficult for a home based TA to do, but I also learned from clients who asked questions I didn't know the answer to. I found out the answers through research.

I think that booking/advising friends is hard, if things don't turn out quite right you feel guilty, maybe this is why the OP feels like they do. Lets hope that this experience is filed somewhere under learning experience - research, research and research some more. Don't assume every cruise line is the same as Carnival, don't assume that all ships are glitzy and make sure you read everything there is to read before advising anyone.

As for the bad service the OP received, from reading these boards that's very unusual but if true, matters should have been addressed whilst onboard. The Hotel Director should be made aware, not much can be done later.

You and fishin' musician are both absolutely right. There are travel agents and there are travel agents, I used to manage some of them :eek:. Some are wonderful, experienced and are always learning - others are doing it just because it seems a glamorous thing to do. Being a home based TA is a very difficult thing to do. I learned new things everyday from those I worked alongside, something it's difficult for a home based TA to do, but I also learned from clients who asked questions I didn't know the answer to. I found out the answers through research.

I think that booking/advising friends is hard, if things don't turn out quite right you feel guilty, maybe this is why the OP feels like they do. Lets hope that this experience is filed somewhere under learning experience - research, research and research some more. Don't assume every cruise line is the same as Carnival, don't assume that all ships are glitzy and make sure you read everything there is to read before advising anyone.

As for the bad service the OP received, from reading these boards that's very unusual but if true, matters should have been addressed whilst onboard. The Hotel Director should be made aware, not much can be done later.

One of the few times we had to complain about something happened to be on the Spirit. It wasn't a huge deal, but it was in regards to the cabin steward and the cleaning process. I had a feeling he might have been relatively new, they had a lot of new personel on the ship that sailing and the ship had just come out of dry dock. How did we handle it? Just like you said, I went to the hotel director. The problems were not serious enough for us to complain until the end of the ship. I will add, the hotel director could not have been nicer, we just wanted him to know there were some concerns. We never asked for anything, never expected anything and never considered, like some do, taking away any part of the gratuity, but we did want them to know. Yes, the only way to handle a concern is at the time, not by going on line afterwards and telling everyone what went wrong. This doesn't mean, we should only say positive things about our experience, but problems can not be addressed on line. Something like a dirty cabin need to be addressed right then. I hope the OP now realizes this.

Sorry you had such issues. The Sun is our favorite ship and if I could book here 3 or 4 times a year I would, over any of the others I have been on. Her crew was fantastic and the service was wonderful.

As for food. There are so many places to eat on board I can not imagine not finding something decent to eat but then again I look at eating on vacation as something that has to be done. To us it is only to fuel the body. So many things we would rather be doing. But that is our style of vacation.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I so agree there is no excuse for a dirty room when the all clear has been given

Thank you very much for your very timely and honest review. I'm taking the Sun to Alaska in 17 days and I will be on this ship for 14 days so your latest info is very helpful as I know what to expect now.

I sailed RCCL the most but I choose NCL for the 2nd time due to the IT.

You're doing Alaska for 14 days? (must be doing a back to back Cruises)

I will be sailing the Whittier, Alaska to Vancouver BC Leg starting June 30.

Have you gone to the June 30 sun roll call Thread?

We also usually cruise other Lines but this Itenary for Alaska worked well for us so we are returning back to NCL after 6 years.

You're doing Alaska for 14 days? (must be doing a back to back Cruises)

I will be sailing the Whittier, Alaska to Vancouver BC Leg starting June 30.

Have you gone to the June 30 sun roll call Thread?

We also usually cruise other Lines but this Itenary for Alaska worked well for us so we are returning back to NCL after 6 years.

Thanks for telling me that there is a June 30 roll call, I was long at the June 23 and was not aware that there is already a June 30 set up..

Coz when I joined the June 23, there was no June 30 yet at that time.

I am a tad bit surprised the OP didn't come back to explain a little more about her experience or at least fill us in on her experience as a TA. It makes me wonder, what is really the whole story, considering she is a travel agent, had never posted before and has not responded to any of the replies?

Well, guess it could be a couple of things: 1. She's not a real TA 2. She's very busy as a TA or 3. (this is my choice) She's already changed her handle on here :eek:

No worries, it was an interesting read.

Or 4. (my choice) she got tired of being flamed and criticized because she said something negative.

Or 4. (my choice) she got tired of being flamed and criticized because she said something negative.

If you had read this whole thread, you would noticed that for the most part, CCer's, including myself, were quite sympathetic towards OP. Not coming back to answer a few simple questions leads people to wonder why.

Were there a few snide remarks? Yes, but I wouldn't call it flaming, JMHO. I hope her next cruise is much better with no reason for complaint regardless of which cruise line she chooses. However, being that she's a TA, it's likely that she will not have anything nice to say about NCL, and so it's unlikely she'll be cruising this line again. And that too is JMHO.

Have a good day.

I was on the Sun in Alaska a year ago & loved it. Yes it is an older ship but it looked great. Everything was shiny from top to bottom. The food wasn't as great as the Pearl (Of course my favorite ship) but it was still good. I did think the hair dryers were weird but it was entertaining to try to get my stubborn hair to do what I wanted it to do! And it isn't everyday that you get to use that kind of vacuum hair dyer. The people were older & parties were different but we were still in Alaska so who cared.

I will have to say on the Pearl last year my daughter was able to get the soda package and I didn't have to. I don't drink soda though. But you couldn't do it on the Sun. So maybe each ship is different. Who knows! :)

I do believe if there was a major problem it could have been solved right there on the ship. I know the crew has probably changed since last year but they were amazing when we were there.

The only problem we had on any cruise ship was Carnival and we haven't sailed again (even though I am willing to try again). But I only tell people my funny story and the customer service we received and I will let them make their own decisions.

I think if this person is a TA you cannot book people on a ship that you had a bad experience on. You move on and maybe let people form their own opinions.