Involuntary Downgrade

I have only booked 1 gty, and then the price was much less than I could book a JS for at the time....we ended up with a JS...I would never gamble & book a Gty that cost more than the least suite price...

I'm glad the OP got the issue resolved to their satisfaction...would be even better if they come back & say they got a JS...or better!:D

I am so glad and happy for them they finally got what they deemed suitable and were happy with. Hopefully they are in a nice suite now cruising along :-) Hope we will be updated upon return.:)

What does stand out to me (mind you I'm still "researching" cruises for this fall but do have one booked for the winter of 2016....) are what I would call "principles"...

(1) a guarantee is a guarantee and if any company (cruise or otherwise) doesn't stand up to their guarantee, then a "red flag" goes up for me :(

(2) Customers shouldn't have to "barter" and spend hours on a phone to get something resolved further adding to potential expenses

(3) The "legaleeze" language in different brochures and web-sites or pricing scales and models shouldn't be so complicated that you require a team of translators; and

(4) Even if you aren't a status member, have booked many cruises, are a member of CC, etc. there is no reason you should be at a disadvantage knowing how cruise lines/ pricing/ compensation, etc. works.

How many other people have settled for an offer that is very sub-par but didn't know what recourse they had and accepted it in an attempt to salvage their vacation?:eek:

I find it sad really that so much effort had to be expended on their end to get it sorted out when it should have been a quick-fix by the customer service department. People go on vacation to relax and the anxiety before their vacation started could have easily ruined it for them.

In more and more places customer service is lacking - I'm not sure whether it's employee cut backs, poorer wages that keeps people "moving on" instead of businesses being able to keep well trained employees, or whether so many people have a sense of entitlement/compensation, etc that now the valid cases fall on deaf ears as it's a daily occurrence for clerks, call center people, cashiers, etc.

Many "non-essential" businesses (cruises, vacation destinations, resorts, etc) need to learn that customer spending is very discretionary (as opposed to the non-discretionary such as housing, groceries, vehicle, utilities) and it is much easier for people to vote with their feet.

Well said shih-tzu. Hopefully this is just a glitch on RCCLs part. I have not cruised with Rccl in many many years, and have frequented other lines. But I have two cabins reserved on 7/4 going to Bermuda. After I booked, and paid 100%, I have become a little more concerned about the quality of RCCL not only in customer service, but in good, etc. I will report back.

Luckily I did not book a guarantee, but have always considered booking one. I hope the OP is enjoying their cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Note to self: never ever book a GTY cabin. :(

I'm not sure what is going on with RC but they are shooting themselves in the foot continuously here in the last 4-6 months. This isn't the first horror story I've heard or read about where CS is concerned. Sounds like they need to have a 'comin to Jesus meeting' with a whole slew of upper management and get their crap together. It's very sad.

I was getting ready to possibly book 2 more cruises next year but I'm definitely rethinking it. I just don't deal well with poor customer service and they seem to be overflowing with it these days in more ways then one.

:confused:

I hope the OP updates this thread here so we know what type of cabin they received. Something tells me it didn't go so smoothly or I would have thought there would have been an immediate update.

Seems like RCL needs to give themselves a shake and come back down to reality and better customer service.......money is talking too much right now perhaps?

We will think very seriously about booking any guarantee JS from now on!:eek:

If a hotel room over books and walks you, they pick up the cost of your stay at an upgraded property, transportation costs to and from the different property if needed, and generally some sort of amenity for your trouble, either extra reward points or a gift of some type--wine and chocolates or a certificate for a free meal. Perhaps cruise lines should consider doing the same thing.

I am curious to know if they do get a JS or above upon check-in would RCCL try & renege on any of the compensation that they were given? I sure hate to see that happen.

Funny, I was thinking that very same thing. Guess we'll have to wait a week to see how it all plays out.

This is so stupid. What is the CORRECT definition of a guarantee cabin then, since people are posting different definitions?

I'll never book at GTY now.

The definition is simply that you will get the category you booked or better. Unless the booking is "run of the house GTY" which means you could be in anything from the smallest inside to the largest suite, you will get at least what you booked.

...you will get at least what you booked.
But isn't this whole thread about someone who DIDN'T get at least what they booked? And then RCI attempted to stonewall and disclaim responsibility. Admittedly the US website seems to be poor in defining a W GTY, but the UK and AU websites seem clear enough.

The definition is simply that you will get the category you booked or better. Unless the booking is "run of the house GTY" which means you could be in anything from the smallest inside to the largest suite, you will get at least what you booked.

There was a question because some posters have reported seeing the wording "superior ocean view or better" (which is a D) on some of the W guarantees. I also saw this mentioned on another board when I did a google search. Hence the discussion.

But isn't this whole thread about someone who DIDN'T get at least what they booked? And then RCI attempted to stonewall and disclaim responsibility. Admittedly the US website seems to be poor in defining a W GTY, but the UK and AU websites seem clear enough.

There's a difference between someone who got screwed due to some glitch in the system and the actual policy. My guess is that the downgrade happens now and then, but it's a very, very rare situation.

My problem is the way RCI handled it. They acted like it was no big deal, and the OP really ahd to take them to task to get what she felt was reasonable. They should have bent over backwards as soon as they realized they had a problem on their hands and made a fair, equitable, and reasonable offer--with a couple of options, including allowing them to cancel with a full refund on both cabins and refund any other expenses incurred (airfare, insurance, etc.) Goodwill would have gone a long way in this situation--as we are seeing from the fall out. THey also could ahve called other passengers and asked if they would be willing to cancel or take compensation for a downgrade. They could have also offered to transport OP and her family to a different port to sail on a different cruise for the same price. They could have done a lot of different things, they instead chose to behave in a very disrespectful manner until the OP pressed.

My point is that they should have immediately offered alternatives with value instead of making the OP get upset to get them to do anything. They behaved poorly, but then again, it's not the first time.

OP should be back in the next day or so, and will hopefully post an update as to how they were treated once they got to the ship.

There was a question because some posters have reported seeing the wording "superior ocean view or better" (which is a D) on some of the W guarantees. I also saw this mentioned on another board when I did a google search. Hence the discussion.

This could also vary from ship to ship. Not trying to defend RCI as I think they behaved despicably, but I think we need to make sure we are talking apples to apples.

If a hotel room over books and walks you, they pick up the cost of your stay at an upgraded property, transportation costs to and from the different property if needed, and generally some sort of amenity for your trouble, either extra reward points or a gift of some type--wine and chocolates or a certificate for a free meal. Perhaps cruise lines should consider doing the same thing.

When Princess overbooks a category or a ship, they call passengers and offer them incentives either to downgrade or to move to another sailing. They will sweeten the deal until they get enough people to help them out. That is what RCI should have done with the OP instead of just downgrading him (her?) and hoping that it went unnoticed.

I'm hoping for a report tomorrow when OP disembarks, or perhaps Monday after the laundry is done.:)

This could also vary from ship to ship. Not trying to defend RCI as I think they behaved despicably, but I think we need to make sure we are talking apples to apples.

?

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone booking a guarantee and getting a downgrade. It was probably a mistake, but the mistake was compounded when it wasn't handled correctly.

When Princess overbooks a category or a ship, they call passengers and offer them incentives either to downgrade or to move to another sailing. They will sweeten the deal until they get enough people to help them out. That is what RCI should have done with the OP instead of just downgrading him (her?) and hoping that it went unnoticed.

I'm hoping for a report tomorrow when OP disembarks, or perhaps Monday after the laundry is done.:)

Agree 100%!

?

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone booking a guarantee and getting a downgrade. It was probably a mistake, but the mistake was compounded when it wasn't handled correctly.

I agree 100% that the mistake was compounded by them not being proactive in managing the opportunity.

Ltgfrk, I've been hoping all week that you arrived at the port and ended up with that second JS. Please let us know how it turned out.

After following this thread, I can't believe that I went ahead and switched to a balcony guarantee for my upcoming cruise. They opened up the guarantee category yesterday for about what I had paid for a Promenade cabin. Now the waiting for cabin assignment begins....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ltgfrk, I've been hoping all week that you arrived at the port and ended up with that second JS. Please let us know how it turned out.

After following this thread, I can't believe that I went ahead and switched to a balcony guarantee for my upcoming cruise. They opened up the guarantee category yesterday for about what I had paid for a Promenade cabin. Now the waiting for cabin assignment begins....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't worry about it, this was a rare occurrence.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Hello All!

I have to say that we weren't expecting as much action on the thread after we left. I didn't check anything here while away as the internet was too slow even to check email (but that's another topic altogether!) and we were trying to stay upbeat.

We got to the pier in Cape Canaveral and no one knew anything. I mean, really...nothing. In the Diamond/Suites line, the girl didn't even know what a suite WAS, how to find out, or even how to put our credit card on the room since we hadn't completed everything online. I filled out some of the required paperwork and handed it to her but she gave it back saying that needed to give it to our cabin steward. :confused: I'd never heard that one before for the preboard health forms! We did eventually speak to someone with Hospitality Services who seemed knowledgeable, but our info wasn't in his system yet.

Once on board we saw that we had one JS and one balcony. We spoke with GS who told us to check back after 4pm, but no luck. "Completely full ship" was the repeated message. Ok, fair enough. We showed up knowing that. We never could get any info on whether any suites had been awarded for bingo but by that time we were really, really over wanting to deal with it any further so didn't push as hard as we could have.

We used up every cent of the OBC, which did show up in our account after boarding the ship, and spent it mostly on things that we wouldn't normally get but figured, "What the heck?"

The cabin steward in the balcony cabin was wonderful. The cabin steward in the JS was invisible with barely adequate service. Made the balcony much more palatable to have such great service.

Truly, the people who took care of us the very best were the folks in the Art Gallery. After hearing a few of our troubles, they comped us a dinner for two at Chops with no expectation of payback and, indeed, got none from us. We will remember them on future cruises though!

Overall, the cruise was great family time. We might be willing to book a W guarantee again (BTW, on our info it absolutely was clear that it was a JS or higher) but would cancel the cruise before accepting anything less than a JS again. We wanted this cruise on these dates so didn't push harder. I would NOT, however, book another gty last minute. From what I can tell, we booked the last JS at the same time we booked the guarantee and that shorted the system...it couldn't process it. Early enough and in low season, I might see taking the gamble if the deal were good enough.

I'm sure I gave you more info than you ever wanted, but you now have the full scoop. Thanks again so much for all the help, advice and support from the CC group!